Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Iroel
Jun 28, 2012
I'm in.

I have never written any sci-fi, so I'll go with that.

I'll also write the story in small paragraphs/fragments to make the whole experience even more unusual for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iroel
Jun 28, 2012
Well I'm sorry for the little delay. It's just that writing the story made me very uncomfortable. Since the structure is fairly important for the story I will paste a link to the doc file. If there is anything I can do for making it less inconvenient let me know.

Stretch Out and Wait

830 words. Sci-Fi and narrative in paragraphs.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/58396073/Stretch%20out.docx

Iroel
Jun 28, 2012
I thank the judges for their clemency and i add that i'm happy to be paired with bad seafood since i tend to enjoy stream of conciousness.

For poetry i would add to try to understand the author's intention too. When something doesn't seem right ask yourself why the author could have done that choice. You won't necessary come to an answer but you will acquire the charitable disposition that is essential to understand texts that have to deal with a high degree of vagueness.

Iroel
Jun 28, 2012
Stream of consciousness is always difficult to criticize from a stylistic point of view, the idea is that after all it's how the person thinks, without any censorship, and you can't tell them how they are supposed to formulate their thoughts.

Yet I believe that often in the arts when one strives for naturalness, like for example in dialogues, it is often better to go the other way around and err on the side of artificiality. Like many other techniques stream of consciousness is basically a trick, a little sleigh of hand, that you play on the reader. You make him read a highly artificial piece of prose and meanwhile you give him here and there the signals saying "look, it's just like our interior monologue". For how I understand it stream of consciousness is all about being in control of the prose: you try to keep the flow going smoothly, put in there as much information as you can while you leave here and there your cues (the sudden memory, the monologue style, the present tense, the imitation of a private language withe its jargon and unexplained references, etc).

Also one must not forget that SC is mostly an instrument that has a very particular function and it's difficult to be used in all settings. So much that most writers try to use it in a hybrid way, by punctuating the flow of thoughts with more standard forms of narrative, like for example Proust or Ellis. SC it was mostly born to deal with the uneventful and highly intellectualized life of the modern man. That's why the idea of sword and sorcery story + SC was so hilarious and enjoyable, but it's also where the biggest problems emerge.

Let's read the story:

Bad Seafood posted:

The Lion and the Jackal (686 words)

Got some sharp teeth on that one there that Slaglander look at him high horse strutting about face of stone. But those teeth when he smiles must’ve spent years honing them image of Kuraket their god the maneater only eats virgins – such a waste – least it frees up an old man like myself. But those teeth could collect a good copper for those here from any seaside settlement seems a shame to leave them where they be in the mouth of a captor. Slavery’s a nasty business but I suspect I’ll make out I usually do it’s the young ones they work to death should be more concerned for the young one they shackled to me even if he is bigger than the rest took his sword took his shield took his armor practically naked but for a bit of leather and cloth those Slaggers think themselves generous heh.

I like this initial part. The best detail is the reference Kuraket, it's impactful and the protagonist's response (such a waste) shows the sardonic smile with which he is facing the situation. In fact his mischievous character is so obvious that I don't think you need the final "heh".

quote:

He’s a strong one that one strong eyes strong will won’t break I don’t think they’ll work him to death before they work him to submission. Cuts his feet on the rocks and the glass in the sand but won’t say a word course I wouldn’t either but I’m used to it. Stands a greater animal than all of us like a general or a son or a sun’s blinding hot drat this heat won’t they rest? There’s those teeth again that laugh cold as ice that man Slaglander all of them cold as ice in their blood.

Son why did I think son I have no son no don’t even know his name though that won’t matter soon.

This is a very artful part. When I was talking about the little signals before I was talking about this. There is this free association going on from an homophony (son/sun) and then the metonymy (sun hot heat) and then you reverse this imagery in the opposite (ice) and you end up with a sudden memory (the lost son) disjointed from the rest of the narrative and the main character talking to himself(don't think).

After a passage like this you would have a lot of leeway to turn back to more normal forms of narrative, to anchor your story, without anyone noticing anything. For example you could start a paragraph with "I look around..." and give a description of the setting. Or "I remember when..." and maybe tell the story of how he was captured.

quote:

I can’t leave him like this I can’t leave him I can’t.

Where is it where the tooth silver from the man in Kauppei the Slagger drat them if they’d known I carried a piece of their countryman there THERE tucked away yes yes there easy does it catch the light now he sees it. Take it take it you know what this means well as I take it take it takeittakeittakeithere he goes into the lock a quiet chip and they’re both broken. Knows to hold up the chain no stranger to circumstance they’ll be keeping pace wha-umphf!

Paft-falak sand mouth trip fsht fsht what’s he doing getting both us killed Slaggers coming closer they’ll see know chains loosed flay us both drat it boy could’ve run what’s he dOH CAUGHT HIM off the horse round the neck that’s it choke him choke him sent to his gods to my feet to my feet there’s another round the back sword drawn take a fistful of sand GOTCHA don’t think small of a little old man now the keys where’s the keys somewhere midst the fabrics gotcha GOTCHA the lock the lock these shackles get them off the boy’s still fighting killed that one now the other dancing sideways sword in hand swing of steel trace the curvature through the air to the neck to the blood crimson spurt another dead drat but he’s good breathless beaten standing still the remainder flee drops his chains while the slaves look on.

This is the part I have the most problems with.
It's terribly confusing and I believe that it could be made less so without losing neither the style nor the action.
The onomatopoeia and the little oddities (like taittakeittakeit) seem to be put there to give a sense of realism, or perceiving exactly what he thinks, but in reality they only estrange the reader. In a sense you have overreached, trying to do something that was way beyond the power of the instrument you were using.

quote:

He’s looking to me look to me they all look to me what do I look like I don’t understand I can’t understand his speech foreign nonsense least he’s grateful now he turns towards the sun not the way we came must have business down that way lost his sword took a new one and a horse waste not want not I suppose.

Free again slaved again what a cycle hands free there we are wrists sore careful careful look at that such a rash rest are worse I imagine no time for that no none at all. The goddess smiles like the Slaglander smiled yes those his neck’s been broken but his teeth those teeth oh how lovely let’s just take those come on now come out out out with it ooouuut ouuuuutttya one there’s one one two two twoooooooo two three three even just a handful’s threeeeee three four fouh that’s chipped no good this one then that’s four now five…

Here you get in control once again. I liked the first sentence and again the one about the simile of the goddess. It's where you feel the most the personality of your character and his worldview. It is for these strong expressions of personality that one reads stream of consciousness. There is a whole life contained in that "free again slaved again what a cycle", the image it paints is much more vivid than a "heh" or a "wha-umphf!"

Iroel
Jun 28, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

All in all this was a pretty good effort from a guy who doesn't do sci-fi. You trip over your words at times and play with the information a little too liberally, but your use of the tone and the limitations of your own craft do you a service. I would like to read more stories that played with the format as you have done here.

I want to thank you about your in depth analysis. I feel that you read it extremely way, understanding most of its mechanics, while at the same time being able to point to some of its shortcomings.

Unfortunately, or fortunately, I don't usually write this way. I always tended to avoid experimentation for more typical forms of expression. Only lately I'm trying to play around mostly because I realized I was writing always the same story.

But it might interest you what my main inspirations were.
The structure was inspired by Wittgenstein's Tractatus. My opening sentence is also a nod to his declarative style. The idea was of making a sort of fractal structure where the main story is told in the first three paragraphs (each told from the point of view of one of the characters: the peddler, the sister and the dead brother) and the rest it's just an in depth explanation mostly dealing with their past. In fact 3.2 is not the return of the (adopted) brother, who is dead and at best can be sent home as a squished paste, but how he decided to leave his planet and how his sister tried to stop him. I'll work to make that clearer.

The voice instead was inspired by Master's Spoon River Anthology which I advise you to read since the parts you liked the best are where I managed to get the closest to it.

And, geeky admission, I really liked the heart mechanism in dishonored, so I guess that was a part of it too.

Thank you again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iroel
Jun 28, 2012

Fanky Malloons posted:

Why do all the new people say this? That is the best part of the thread, and I won't hear otherwise. :colbert:

Because we don't play by the rules, sorry.