Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

If I do an engine swap, the only one I could possibly think of that I'd want to do would be swapping a Mazdaspeed3/6/CX7 turbo 2.3 in. After all, the later Ranger came with the naturally aspirated 2.3L Mazda...
This makes too much sense to not do. How hard could it really be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
In my experience the bushings will 'calm down' after a few weeks of driving. They just need to be smacked around a bit, then you're left with a mild increase in nvh overall.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
You know what engine doesn't have head gasket issues? Rotaries.

I bet the bellhousing bolts up too.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Eh, could be a worn alignment component making it do that under braking, but it's probably a stuck/dragging piston or drum equivalent. My Cavalier had a sticky left rear drum that would make it dive to the left under braking sometimes.

Is there any vibration through the steering or the brake pedal when you stomp on it? Do the rotors look ok?

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Sep 7, 2013

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
It might just be worthwhile to look in the vac line for the brake booster to see if it has any gunk built up in it. Sometimes they have an inline valve that clogs with dust/dirt/crankcase oil and gums up after awhile/when it's cold. If it's always sucked, though...

I'm super glad that this truck is running again. How bad were the old tires when you tossed them last month?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Stainless braided lines always worry me because you can't visually inspect them for failures. You have to just say, okay, every six years I'll replace these, no matter what.

That said, I don't think I've ever replaced soft lines for anything other than leakages.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah, RockAuto's returns are amazing. I ordered two Moog problem-solver ball joints, one of them arrived without the hardware baggie (I suspect customs inspected it, helped themselves to some magnets, and then reassembled the box without the baggie, since the packing slip was also missing). I live in Canada: I need the hardware baggie because any fastener on the car is not guaranteed to survive removal.

I raised a claim as soon as I noticed and a half hour later they had a new one on the way to me. I got to keep the old, useless one in case someone else has better luck with fasteners and worse luck with ball joints than I do.

No in-town warehouse though, and it got held up in customs for a long time, so it took over a week to get here. But that's not RockAuto's fault.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
It rolls and drives! Hope the shakedown goes well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Not gonna lie, kinda hate you. I've got new bolts in the parts-store baggies that look worse than that.