Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I'm in a match now with two melee geth juggies and some level 1 krogan on palaven. This is taking forever. I'm the only DPS in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Felinoid posted:

Pubbies like to set up at the bottom of the reactor most waves, right by the door, not realizing that there's a spawn point back near the LZ, another one back right in that little pointless branch, and another by the two generators or whatever. Ordinarily if everyone sets up right there, the spawn points toward the top of the reactor are the ones the computer picks. But if someone is around the top of the reactor, it goes for the other spawn points and the pubbies get flanked hard.

E: Plus the spawn point on the ceiling joist back right of the door. There's also one by the ammo crate nearest the door, but that gets shut off by proximity.
The top of the reactor is really good if you have a team that knows how to keep each other informed of enemy movement and focus fire. 90-95% of the enemies are going to come at you from one of two corridors where you have the high ground and better ability to duck into cover.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Whenever I play Reactor with pubbies, there's usually one or two heroes who are determined to hold the line on the LZ on wave 11 with their Avenger IIIs. I do usually tell them that it would probably be a better idea to be with the rest of us behind the reactor, but gently caress if they ever listen to me. I can only hope that my taunts after their deaths drive the message home.

Although I don't mind if it doesn't — reactor wave 11 is such a nice opportunity to get more coffee if a pubbie is trying to hold the LZ.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Zoran posted:

I think Valkyries should carry heavier guns than the Arc pistol, and rather than focusing on using Warp as a detonator, you should prioritize debuffing bosses with it. If you Warp a boss enemy and then move into Annihilation Field range, the Valkyrie has nearly unrivaled weapon damage output.

Too lazy to go through Smol's wall of text but I agree with this post; Valkyrie is uniquely suited to murder platinum bosses in 6-8 seconds, speccing her to be a lesser fury is an awful waste.

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

I don't like speccing Valkyrie for 2x debuff biotic explosions since the cooldown on warp is butt, +tech armor +decent weapon makes it some kind of smelly double butt.

Challenge point Jihad build
-Run up to stuff, detonate tech armor, falcon stagger until you can detonate tech armor again
-Don't detonate annihilation field since the cooldown is too long to chain with anything
-Has trouble with bosses but can fight multiple phantoms effectively
-Cryo ammo helps stagger and tech armor shattering is very satisfying
-An alien stripper suicide bomber is all 3 of my sexual fantasies

Kingslayer platinum build
-Toss a debuffing warp, run up to AF debuff range, unload with 2x debuff weapon damage & 2 anti-armor DoTs
-One of the best bosskillers in the game, can solo platinum banshees in 6 seconds
-Works best with piranha/reegar/hurricane and fire/warp ammo
-You can try also speccing for biotic explosion spike damage but be aware that a DoT spec is easier to manage since a BX will nullify warp ammo's bonus damage
-If you have a lot of high level cyclonics, warp's Pierce evolution is very strong and you might consider investing in it in lieu of tech armor or fitness 6 (havent done the math).

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

If you guys want *~optimal incendiary cheese*~ platinum builds, you'll have to write a post of your own. Without a few exceptions (e.g. the Reegar Kroguard), the reason for selecting a particular weapon was variety (I tried to use every halfway decent weapon at least once), fun and lore.

And still, I think you're underestimating the Arc Pistol. It's a top 5 weapon in my books.

Smol fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Dec 29, 2013

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Smol posted:

If you guys want *~optimal incendiary cheese*~ platinum builds, you'll have to write a post of your own. Without a few exceptions (e.g. the Reegar Kroguard), the reason for selecting a particular weapon was variety (I tried to use every halfway decent weapon at least once), fun and lore.

And still, I think you're underestimating the Arc Pistol. It's a top 5 weapon in my books.

I think people tend to really hate charge weapons. Acolyte at least doesn't need firing very often, and the Graal has a satisfyingly loud noise.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Smol posted:

It doesn't have to be incendiary. Warp ammo works just fine since AF and warp both prime. I did make a post of my own, see I quoted it in my previous one.

also the arc pistol is barely a top 5 pistol (i dont even think it is but it's in that tier). paladin and talon both blow it out of the water, so do piranha, harrier, hurricane, etc.

e: its first shot is fine but after that it's just a phalanx, I have killed everything while you try to charge it up again

Fight Club Sandwich fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Dec 29, 2013

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
The reason people praise Incendiary ammo so much is because it is bugged. When you use it on a target that has been Warped or Incinerated or a few other powers-ed the DOT stacks up in a way it shouldn't, and it ends up doing a really loving ridiculous amount of damage very quickly.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

Too lazy to go through Smol's wall of text but I agree with this post; Valkyrie is uniquely suited to murder platinum bosses in 6-8 seconds, speccing her to be a lesser fury is an awful waste.

On your "Kingslayer" build, if you want to exploit incendiary ammo, Pierce is mandatory because it multiplies the damage from the ammo to barriers and armor by 1.5.

Smol posted:

I actually agree with you that the Arc Pistol is very good, and I think it's the second best pistol after the Talon. But whether you're using incendiary ammo or not, the Reegar, Piranha, Hurricane, and Talon (in approximately that order) are all more efficient for boss kills; that's the role I think the Valkyrie is best suited for.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

GenericOverusedName posted:

The reason people praise Incendiary ammo so much is because it is bugged. When you use it on a target that has been Warped or Incinerated or a few other powers-ed the DOT stacks up in a way it shouldn't, and it ends up doing a really loving ridiculous amount of damage very quickly.

Speaking of which, I played a round with the awakened collector and the PPR. At level 12, I was the board leader :stare:

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Zoran’s Builds (Adept, Soldier, & Engineer)
~*optimal incendiary cheese*~

The following builds are geared toward “endgame” play on Platinum or Gold with top-tier equipment. They are specifically designed to exploit the gently caress out of the most broken things in the game. Usually, that means doing whatever I can to maximize DPS, often at the expense of unique class features. If that’s not your cup of tea, that’s fine. I like a good gimmick build just as much as the next guy; that’s just not the purpose of this guide.

One of the implications of this philosophy is that on basically every class that can get away with it, I’m going to recommend using the Reegar. It’s so stupendously powerful on every class that can reasonably fight in close range that no other weapon even comes close.

That being said, these are the weapons I would consider “top-tier”:

Reegar
Piranha
Harrier
Hurricane
Talon
Acolyte
Arc Pistol

All but the Acolyte have unparalleled DPS; the Acolyte earns its place for being extremely light and very, very useful against Phantoms and mooks. Certain classes also make good use of the Arc Pistol, the Raider, the Claymore, and the Wraith, and dedicated sniper builds can use the Javelin or Black Widow, but for pure killing power they’re all outclassed.

The most notable exploit in the entire game is the way Incendiary Ammo damage interacts with Incinerate, Inferno Grenades, Flamer, and Warp. If you tag a target with any of these powers and then shoot it continually, Incendiary Ammo’s DOT starts stacking up to absurd levels, dealing up to thousands of damage per second. The ammo damage also inherits damage multipliers from the primer power. For example, if you Warp the target first and you have the Pierce evolution, the ammo deals triple damage to barriers (rather than 0x normally), 2.5x to armor (instead of 1x), and 0.5x to shields (rather than 0x). It’s insane, and I am going to abuse it.

There’s also a bug where the weapon attachments that add weight, such as the Shotgun High-Velocity Barrel, don’t actually add any weight to weapons that were included in the base game (including stuff that was originally single-player or preorder exclusive).

Optimal Defenses

One of my secondary goals with these builds is to optimize defensive investment. To me, that means using just enough Fitness, defensive powers, and shield-boosting gear to reach an important damage benchmark and then stopping.

For instance, a maximally defensive Asari Valkyrie build has effectively 2760 shields, but a Gold Nemesis can only deal 2450 damage in one hit, and the next most damaging attack (Gold Scion blaster) deals 2800 and therefore will break your shield anyway. That means there’s not much point in taking Fitness all the way to rank 6, so you can stop at rank 4 instead.

Damage Benchmarks

Enemy           Difficulty  Damage

Scion           Platinum      3360
Nemesis         Platinum      2940
Scion           Gold          2800
Nemesis         Gold          2450
Atlas           Platinum      2310
Atlas           Gold          1925
Rocket Trooper  Platinum      1785
Ravager         Platinum      1680
Rocket Trooper  Gold          1487
Ravager         Gold          1400
Geth Hunter     Platinum      1344
Banshee         Platinum      1176
Geth Hunter     Gold          1120
Phantom         Platinum      1050
Banshee         Gold           980
Geth Prime      Platinum       966
Phantom         Gold           875
Guardian        Platinum       819
Geth Prime      Gold           805

Adepts

Human
  • Singularity 6: Radius – Recharge Speed – Detonate
  • Warp 6: Detonate – Expose – Pierce
  • Shockwave 0
  • Alliance Training 6: Weapon Damage – Headshots – Weapon Damage
  • Fitness 6: Durability – Shield Recharge – Fitness Expert
Weapon: Hurricane (High Velocity Barrel + Heat Sink) & Acolyte (Ultralight Materials + High-Caliber Barrel)
Rail Amp: SMG
Ammo: Incendiary
Armor: Cyclonic Modulator
Gear: Shield Booster

Defensive Benchmark: 1725 (Platinum Ravager)

The human adept is rather frail, so you can’t be too reckless. Hang back near choke points, and cast your singularity on enemies to prime them for an explosion. Follow up with a Warp, and then open fire on the Warped enemy with your Hurricane to finish it off.

We’re packing the Hurricane because it offers fantastic damage and rate of fire in a very light package, which is great for abusing Incendiary Ammo. The Acolyte is purely for picking off Phantoms.

Asari
  • Stasis 6: Duration – Bonus Power – Bubble
  • Throw 6: Radius – Detonate – Force & Damage
  • Asari Justicar 5: Damage & Capacity – Headshots
  • Fitness 3
Weapon: Paladin (Piercing Mod + Heavy Barrel)
Rail Amp: Pistol

Defensive Benchmark: 1525 (Gold Rocket Trooper)

The origninal asari adept has an interesting mix of powers. It has two really good crowd-control options with Stasis and Throw, alongside Warp + Incendiary abuse to deal with bosses. Stasis lets you become a headshot machine, and it’s an important tool for Phantoms.

This asari build is even more frail than the human, so whenever you run into gun-toting mooks, you need to cast Stasis or Throw quickly. You benefit from the best dodge move in the game; use it to evade rockets and Banshee Warps.

Even though it’s not one of my “top-tier” weapons, I like the Paladin because of its ability to snap off headshots at range.

Drell
  • Reave 6: Radius – Damage Reduction – Damage & Duration
  • Pull 0
  • Cluster Grenade 6: Force & Damage – Damage Combo – Shrapnel
  • Drell Assassin 6: Damage & Capacity – Power Damage – Weapon Damage
Weapon: Harrier (Piercing Mod + Magazine Upgrade)
Rail Amp: Assault Rifle
Ammo: Warp
Gear: Warfighter Package

Defensive Benchmark: 1179 (Platinum Banshee)

Frenetic is the only word to describe the drell adept. He may be made of tissue paper, but he makes up for it with blistering speed and an incredibly good racial passive power to go with the best biotic primer and the second-best grenade in the game.

Priming enemies with Reave is essential because of the bonuses it gives to your gun and your grenades. Warp Ammo IV deals double damage to primed enemies, and so do your Cluster Grenades. The 40% damage reduction offered by Reave is also essential to your survivability.

Asari Justicar
  • Biotic Sphere 6: Shield Regeneration – Damage Reduction – Allied Protection
  • Reave 6: Radius – Damage Reduction – Barriers & Armor
  • Pull 0
  • Asari Justicar 6: Weapon Damage – Headshots – Assault Rifles
Weapon: Harrier (Piercing Mod + Magazine Upgrade) & Acolyte (Ultralight Materials + High-Caliber Barrel)
Gear: Stronghold Package

Defensive Benchmark: 4039 (Perfect)

The asari justicar is one of a handful of classes that are better equipped for point defense than they are for roaming the map and tactically retreating from enemies. With that in mind, I’ve opted to go for a defensive biotic sphere. I feel that the shield reduction bonuses offered by the sphere are severely underrated; shorter shield recharge delay means less downtime waiting for shield regen and more time dishing out the pain.

Much like the drell adept, the justicar relies on priming enemies with Reave for survivability and for big damage bonuses with Warp Ammo. The Harrier is preferred here because it offers unmatched accuracy at range, which pairs well with the instantaneous nature of Reave and makes your job of holding down chokepoints easier.

Phoenix
  • Singularity 4: Duration
  • Smash 6: Biotic Combo – Force & Damage – Armor Damage
  • Lash 6: Detonate – Recharge Speed – Shield Penetration
  • Phoenix Training 4: Damage & Capacity
Weapon: Paladin (Piercing Mod + Power Magnifier)

The phoenix adept is blessed with really good powers, but unfortunately is just as frail as a standard human. To avoid dying, what you want to do is use Lash to isolate enemies and get the out of sight of the others. You can then destroy them with a Smash. Also, because Smash works through walls, you can disrupt enemy groups without exposing yourself to fire. A duration-spec Singularity works with this strategy because it allows you to camp choke points and enclosed areas with repeated Smashes.

N7 Fury
  • Annihilation Field 6: Impact Radius – Movement Speed – Drain
  • Dark Channel 4: Damage
  • Throw 6: Radius – Detonate – Force & Damage
  • N7 Fury 4: Damage & Capacity
Weapon: Acolyte (Power Magnifier + High-Caliber Barrel) & Hurricane (High-Velocity Barrel + Heat Sink)

If you’re looking for fast-paced gameplay, the fury can give a drell adept a run for his money. The Acolyte is actually your primary weapon; you want to charge into groups of enemies and strip shields quickly. When you see a group, cast Dark Channel, then dash in and cast Throw over and over until everything dies. Dark Channel does pretty respectable damage over time to bosses, and once you’ve isolated the bosses you can switch to your Hurricane and take them down.

Volus
  • Stasis 6: Duration – Bonus Power – Bubble
  • Biotic Orbs 6: Impact Radius – Recharge Speed – Expose
  • Shield Boost 6: Shields – Recharge Speed – Protection
  • Volus Training 4: Weapon Damage
  • Fitness 4: Durability
Weapon: Reegar (High-Caliber Barrel + Spare Thermal Clip)
Rail Amp: Shotgun
Ammo: Armor-Piercing

Defensive Benchmark: 2560 (Gold Nemesis)

The volus adept is actually surprisingly powerful, in my experience. Both Shield Boost and your heavy melee give you 1.5 seconds of invulnerability, and Biotic Orbs allow you to inflict a huge debuff for a few seconds. Stasis lets you deal easily with Phantoms and trash mobs.

The most important tool for the volus is his cloak. Spam it basically all the time, because there’s no reason not to, and it can help you close the distance to Reegar range. While you’re in the middle of fights, spam Shield Boost to keep yourself alive. One nice thing about using the Reegar on a volus is that all volus are immune to slowdown from firing weapons, so you can walk at full speed while unloading on people.

Krogan Shaman
  • Barrier 6: Barrier Strength – Shield Recharge – Power Recharge
  • Shockwave 0
  • Krogan Berserker 6: Damage & Capacity – Headshots – Shotguns
  • Rage 6: Durability – Shield Recharge – Fitness Expert
Weapon: Reegar (High-Velocity Barrel + Spare Thermal Clip)

Defensive Benchmark: 4581 (Perfect)

Obviously the shaman is the tankiest of all the adepts; he’s also one of the most effective Warp + Incendiary abusers in the bunch. There’s really not much to say here, because all you have to do is get in close and watch the magic happen.

Batarian Slasher
  • Lash 6: Detonate – Recharge Speed – Shield Penetration
  • Cluster Grenade 6: Force & Damage – Damage Combo – Shrapnel
  • Batarian Enforcer 4: Damage & Capacity
Weapon: Reegar (Shredder Mod + Spare Thermal Clip)
Gear: Shock Trooper Upgrade

Defensive Benchmark: 2550 (Gold Nemesis)

The batarian slasher has an amazing combination of abilities. He gets decent bulk from being a batarian, a solid racial passive, the second-best grenade, a good crowd-control and combo power, and Warp, all in one package. You can use either Lash or Warp to prime for a combo with Cluster Grenades. For bosses, simply Warp and then apply Reegar until dead.

Awakened Collector
  • Dark Sphere 6: Damage – Recharge Speed – Unstable Dark Sphere
  • Seeker Swarm 6: Recharge Speed – Damage Reduction – Swarm Count
  • Dark Channel 0
  • Vengeful Ancient 6: Damage & Capacity – Power Damage – Power Damage
  • Ancient Warrior 6: Durability – Shield Recharge – Fitness Expert
Weapon: Hurricane (Recoil System + Power Magnifier) & Acolyte (Power Magnifier + High-Caliber Barrel)
Gear: Commando Package

Defensive Benchmark: 3375 (Perfect)

After some experimentation, I’ve come around to loving the explosive Dark Sphere build. This collector’s Dark Sphere detonation does just barely enough damage to instantly kill all unshielded mooks on Platinum, and it does so over an area seven meters across.

The Acolyte should be your main weapon whenever you’re dealing with a group of enemies, because a well-placed Acolyte shot will make everyone vulnerable to instant death via Dark Sphere detonation. The Hurricane is for long-range fire support and armored enemies.

Soldiers

Human
  • Adrenaline Rush 0
  • Concussive Shot 6: Force & Damage – Shatter – Shredder
  • Frag Grenade 6: Damage – Bleed Damage – Armor Piercing
  • Alliance Training 6: Damage & Capacity – Power Damage – Weapon Damage
Weapon: Talon (Piercing Mod + Power Magnifier)
Ammo: Cryo
Armor: Power Amplifier

Defensive Benchmark: 975 (Platinum Geth Prime)

This human soldier build is all about stacking damage bonuses to hilarious levels. Against chilled organic enemies, Concussive Shot deals effectively six times its normal damage—enough to do really stupid things like bring down a Platinum Praetorian in just a couple of hits. We’re bringing the Talon for efficient freezing.

Be aware when using this build that you have no defenses to speak of.

Krogan
  • Fortification 6: Durability – Recharge Speed – Durability
  • Carnage 0
  • Inferno Grenade 6: Radius – Max Grenades – Armor Damage
  • Krogan Berserker 6: Weapon Damage – Headshots – Weapon Damage
  • Rage 6: Durability – Shield Recharge – Fitness Expert
Weapon: Reegar (High-Velocity Barrel + Spare Thermal Clip) & Harrier (High-Velocity Barrel + Magazine Upgrade)

Defensive Benchmark: 4786 (Perfect)

Of all Incendiary Ammo abusers in the game, the krogan soldier is probably the most efficient. He doesn’t deal the most single-target damage, but he’s amazing because Inferno Grenades prime whole crowds all at once. Instead of wasting precious seconds priming each foe individually, you can set them all on fire and then charge in and unleash electric fury on everyone.

The Harrier is used for long-range support during objective waves, and that’s about it.

Turian
  • Marksman 6: Firing Rate – Headshots – Accuracy & Firing Rate
  • Concussive Shot 0
  • Proximity Mine 6: Radius – Damage Taken – Recharge Speed
  • Turian Veteran 6: Damage & Stability – Headshots – Damage & Stability
Weapon: Hurricane (Heat Sink + High-Caliber Barrel) & Acolyte (High-Caliber Barrel + Magazine Upgrade)
Gear: Barrage Upgrade

Defensive Benchmark: 2550 (Gold Nemesis)

One interesting fact about the guns in this game is that the best SMG (the Hurricane) actually has slightly higher DPS than the best assault rifle (the Harrier); unfortunately, the former lacks the latter’s great accuracy. This turian soldier build solves that issue, with its 85% recoil reduction and 60% accuracy bonus.

It’s been said that the turian soldier can make any gun look good. Don’t forget that it can make already good guns look great.

Battlefield 3
  • Adrenaline Rush 6: Hardening – Duration – Shield Boost
  • Carnage 0
  • Frag Grenade 6: Damage – Bleed Damage – Armor Piercing
Weapon: Claymore (High-Caliber Barrel + Smart Choke)

Defensive Benchmark: 2464 (Gold Nemesis)

Carnage sucks, so don’t use it. Instead, exploit the instantaneous reload of Adrenaline Rush for glorious double Claymore shots. That’s pretty much all there is to this.

Batarian
  • Ballistic Blades 6: Cone Spread – Range – Explosive Blades
  • Blade Armor 4: Durability
  • Inferno Grenade 6: Radius – Max Grenades – Armor Damage
  • Batarian Enforcer 6: Damage & Capacity – Headshots – Snipers & Shotguns

Defensive Benchmark: 3000 (Platinum Nemesis)

The batarian soldier is much like his krogan counterpart, but he trades some of his durability for higher mobility and a really nice crowd-control power in Ballistic Blades. After maxing out blades, grenades, and the racial passive power, the most efficient use of our 21 remaining points is to split them between Blade Armor and Fitness evenly.

Vorcha
  • Bloodlust 6: Health Regeneration – Weapon Damage – Health Regeneration
  • Flamer 6: Reach – Damage – Armor Damage
  • Carnage 0
  • Vorcha Resilience 6: Weapon Damage – Headshots – Weapon Damage
Armor: Adrenaline Module
Gear: Shotgun Amp

Defensive Benchmark: 1313 (Platinum Banshee)

Bloodlust and Flamer together are just a lot of fun. Flamer and Incendiary Ammo together are just a lot of damage. The only problem with this class is that it teaches you really bad habits. Enjoy it!

N7 Destroyer
  • Devastator Mode 6: Weapon Accuracy – Rate of Fire – Damage Bonus
  • Missile Launcher 6: Shield Penalty – Refire Time – Hydra Missiles
  • Multi-Frag Grenade 0
  • T5-V Battlesuit 6: Weapon Damage – Headshots – Weapon Damage
  • T5-V Internal Systems 6: Durability – Shield Recharge & Speed – Fitness Expert
Weapon: Piranha (High-Caliber Barrel + Smart Choke) & Harrier (High-Caliber Barrel + Magazine Upgrade)
Gear: Barrage Upgrade

Defensive Benchmark: 3050 (Platinum Nemesis)

There’s a bit of a debate about whether to take Missile Launcher or Multi-Frags on the destroyer. I prefer the former for a couple of reasons: multi-frags are unwieldy, don’t do spectacular damage compared to other grenades, and force your teammates to compete with you for grenade drops; on the other hand, the missile launcher gives you automatic crowd control every few seconds and can help alert you to nearby enemies.

As for the weapon loadout, I like using the Piranha because it capitalizes on the unique bonuses from Devastator Mode. The accuracy bonus combines with the Smart Choke to cut the spread radius by 75%, enabling you to use the Piranha effectively at even medium range. Because it’s automatic, the Piranha also benefits from rate-of-fire bonuses. Since the destroyer lacks stability bonuses, the best long-range weapon is the Harrier and not the Hurricane.

Turian Havoc
  • Havoc Strike 6: Force & Damage – Weapon Synergy – Force & Damage
  • Stimulant Pack 5: Max Shields – Pack Capacity
  • Cryo Blast 6: Radius – Cryo Explosion – Frozen Vulnerability
  • Armiger Legion 5: Damage & Capacity – Power Damage
Weapon: Raider (High-Caliber Barrel + Smart Choke)

Defensive Benchmark: 3480 (Perfect)

The havoc soldier is terribly under-appreciated. He may not be as broken as his infiltrator companion, but he has a couple of really cool abilities that all contribute toward one goal: delivering absurd burst damage very rapidly. He also has just the right stat distribution to be able to tank any hit from full shields after a Havoc Strike, even without using stims. The Reegar is the standard choice of weapon here, but the Raider is an interesting alternative for sheer burst power.

Havoc Strike is just a really awesome all-around power. It gives you temporary damage reduction and invincibility frames, a weapon damage boost, and a lot of mobility. With this build, it also surpasses the 1500 N force threshold, which is sufficient to stagger every single enemy on Gold; if you’re building purely for platinum, take Recharge Speed for Havoc Strike and the first Damage & Stability upgrade in Armiger Legion. Cryo Blast provides useful team support and substantially improves your kill speed on bosses.

Geth Trooper
  • Flamer 6: Reach – Damage – Armor Damage
  • Fortification 5: Durability – Recharge Speed
  • Hunter Mode 6: Weapon Accuracy – Rate of Fire – Speed & Vision
  • Networked AI 4: Weapon Damage
  • Fitness 5: Durability – Shield Recharge

Defensive Benchmark: 3484 (Perfect)

I’m using an unusual spread here that merits some explanation. My goal here is to pick up as many useful damage bonuses as I can for Flamer + Incendiary purposes while also maximizing one of the most overlooked abilities of geth—namely, their absurd shield recharge delay reduction. I opt for extra mobility and vision with Hunter Mode rather than more damage because I feel that those bonuses offer more tactical utility.

Quarian Marksman
  • Marksman 6: Firing Rate – Headshots – Accuracy & Firing Rate
  • Tactical Scan 6: Weapon Damage – Movement Speed – Damage
  • Sabotage 0
  • Quarian Defender 6: Weapon Damage – Headshots – Weapon Damage
Weapon: Harrier (Magazine Upgrade + Extended Barrel) & Acolyte (High-Caliber Barrel + Ultralight Materials)

The quarian marksman is pretty much a worse turian soldier, sacrificing a good bit of weapon damage and all of the stability bonuses for slightly better mobility and a faster (but single-target) debuff power.

Geth Juggernaut
  • Hex Shield 0
  • Siege Pulse 6: Radius – Damage Protection – Number of Shots
  • Geth Turret 6: Shield Restore – Restore Range – Restore Frequency
  • Geth Juggernaut 6: Weapon Damage – Stability & Ammo – Weapon Damage
  • Fitness 6: Durability – Shield Recharge – Squad Command
Weapon: Reegar (Spare Thermal Clip + High-Caliber Barrel) & Hurricane (Recoil System + Heat Sink)
Gear: Juggernaut Shield

Defensive Benchmark: 9286 (Perfect)

I’m on record saying that I don’t think the Juggernaut is a very good class, and I stand by it. In this game, I don’t think tanking is as useful as quickly disposing of enemies, and the Juggernaut’s glacial speed can make it an outright liability during certain objectives. It doesn’t help that this class attracts a particularly idiotic breed of pubbie, and the skills you develop to become a good Juggernaut don’t really apply to other classes.

All that said, the Juggernaut can still be effective, even if it’s not efficient. I don’t like Hex Shield at all, and I almost never use Siege Pulse for anything other than its damage reduction bonus. Therefore I choose to focus on teammate support and weapon damage, exploiting the Juggernaut’s ability to close to short range in order to melt things with the Reegar. Squad Command isn’t that good, but it’s better than eating 15% global damage loss. Heavy melee is used exclusively for healing and locking down the occasional Phantom.

Engineers

Human
  • Combat Drone 0
  • Incinerate 6: Radius – Recharge Speed – Armor Damage
  • Overload 6: Chain Overload – Neural Shock – Shield Damage
Weapon: Harrier (Magazine Upgrade + Piercing Mod)

Basically, cast Overload on mooks, and cast Incinerate on elites and bosses. Then unload on them with your weapon. Simple! Both your active powers are pretty good in their own right, which helps make up for your limited durability.

In this guide I haven’t been emphasizing combos that much, but you shouldn’t forget about them! Particularly when you have a teammate with Flamer or Snap Freeze, multi-combos from Chain Overload become deadly. (There’s more synergy with Snap Freeze because you don’t interfere with Incendiary cheesing.)

Quarian Female
  • Sentry Turret 0
  • Cryo Blast 6: Radius – Cryo Explosion – Frozen Vulnarability
  • Quarian Defender 6: Weapon Damage – Headshots – Weapon Damage
Weapon: Talon (Heavy Barrel + Piercing Mod)

Defensive Benchmark: 2010 (Gold Atlas)

The female quarian engineer plays as a closer-ranged alternate version of the human engineer. Cryo Blast allows you to get noticeably more pure damage output, but dramatically limits your crowd control abilities and slightly reduces your optimal range. Slightly higher base shields help mitigate that somewhat. Simple! Both your active powers are pretty good in their own right, which helps make up for your limited durability.

Don’t take the Freeze Combo evolution on Incinerate. While it does increase the damage output from Incinerate itself by quite a bit, Armor Damage stacks with Incendiary Ammo and is therefore much more important.

Salarian
  • Energy Drain 6: Radius – Drain – Armor Boost
  • Decoy 0
  • Salarian Operative 6: Weapon Damage – Headshots – Weapon Damage
Weapon: Harrier (Magazine Upgrade + Piercing Mod)

Defensive Benchmark: 2010 (Gold Atlas)

The build seems pretty familiar, right? The salarian engineer takes the human engineer and does pretty much the opposite of the quarian: you give up substantial combo ability and a little bit of damage and get somewhat better survivability in exchange.

Decoy sucks on higher difficulties. It was the victim of repeated nerfs while Bioware tried and failed to end Firebase White farming. Eventually they gave up and rebuilt the map, but never returned Decoy to its former glory.

Geth
  • Geth Turret 0
  • Hunter Mode 6: Weapon Accuracy – Rate of Fire – Speed & Vision
  • Overload 6: Chain Overload – Neural Shock – Shield Damage
  • Networked AI 6: Weapon Damage – Headshots – Weapon Damage
Weapon: Harrier (Magazine Upgrade + High-Caliber Barrel)
Gear: Assault Rifle Amp

Defensive Benchmark: 1988 (Gold Atlas)

The geth engineer offers two great tastes that taste great together: Overload and Hunter Mode. Unfortunately you’re incapable of exploiting Incendiary Ammo, but at least you have strong base damage and good crowd control. Since you’re free to spam Overload all the time, you also get great combo potential when you have tech-based teammates.

I’m neglecting Geth Turret here. Sometimes it does come up with a clutch heal in a crucial moment, but I like the benefits you get at the end of the other trees a whole lot and I find keeping the turret up rather distracting in high-pressure situations.

Quarian Male
  • Tactical Scan 3
  • Arc Grenade 6: Damage – Electric Damage – Shield Overload
  • Quarian Defender 5: Damage & Capacity – Power Damage
Weapon: Talon (Power Magnifier + Piercing Mod)
Gear: Grenade Capacity

Defensive Benchmark: 1950 (Gold Atlas)

This is one of the few classes where I go all-out for power damage, and for good reason: not only is the quarian male engineer the best pure combo class in the game, his two combo powers are individually powerful. You can also take advantage of Incinerate with Incendiary Ammo against bosses. This class is simply amazing, and clearly the best engineer.

N7 Demolisher
  • Supply Pylon 6: Resupply Frequency – Power Damage – Extra Grenade
  • Arc Grenade 6: Damage – Electrical Damage – Armor-Piercing
  • Homing Grenade 0
  • N7 Demolisher 6: Damage & Max Grenades – Power Damage – Power Damage
Weapon: Arc Pistol (Heavy Barrel + Power Magnifier)

Defensive Benchmark: 1890 (Platinum Rocket Trooper)

This used to be one of my favorite classes. While it’s still effective, I’m not as enamored with the demolisher as I used to be. She has powerful grenades that regenerate, which is pretty cool, but there’s not a whole lot else to say here.

I’m skipping Homing Grenades because even though they get tech bursts with Arc Grenades, I’d much rather have maximum power damage and durability and just spam Arcs over huge areas.

Volus
  • Recon Mine 6: Radius – Recharge Speed – Invasive Scan
  • Proximity Mine 5: Radius – Damage Taken
  • Shield Boost 6: Shields – Recharge Speed – Protection
  • Volus Training 3
Weapon: Reegar (High-Caliber Barrel + Spare Thermal Clip)

Repeat after me: the Recon Mine is for debuffs. The Recon Mine is for debuffs. The Recon Mine is for debuffs.

If you build Recon Mine for damage, then you’re giving up one cast each of Proximity Mine and Shield Boost. That means you’re giving up a group heal and a 45% near-omnipresent multiplicative damage increase for a single burst of damage (over an admittedly large area) every nine seconds or so.

Turian Saboteur
  • Sentry Turret 0
  • Sabotage 6: Backfire – Recharge Speed – Tech Vulnerability
  • Homing Grenade 6: Damage – Fire Damage – Split Grenade
  • Armiger Legion 6: Damage & Capacity – Power Damage – Damage & Stability
Weapon: Arc Pistol (Heavy Barrel + Power Magnifier)

Defensive Benchmark: 2363 (Platinum Atlas)

This guy is kind of lovely, but he’s not the shittiest, so hooray! Tech Vulnerabilty on Sabotage doesn’t improve Homing Grenade’s damage, but it does increase the damage of the resulting Tech Explosion and has synergy with other tech teammates. The last evolution for Homing Grenade is a choice between +60% to armor or +20% to everything and double area of effect. I like the latter a lot.

Vorcha
  • Submission Net 0
  • Bloodlust 6: Health Regeneration – Weapon Damage – Health Regeneration
  • Vorcha Resilience 6: Weapon Damage – Headshots – Weapon Damage
Weapon: Harrier (Piercing Mod + Magazine Upgrade)
Armor: Adrenaline Module
Gear: Assault Rifle Amp

Defensive Benchmark: 1313 (Platinum Banshee)

Remember when I said the turian saboteur wasn’t the shittiest? This guy is. Or at least he’s the most disappointing. Submission Net is not that good a power, and even though Incinerate ends up being stupidly broken, it’s still a severe downgrade from Flamer. Take advantage of its longer range by using the Harrier instead of the Reegar.

Talon Mercenary
  • Cain Trip Mine 6: Damage – Armor Damage – Damage
  • Concussive Arrows 0
  • Armor-Piercing Arrows 6: Grenade Capacity – Armor Damage – Grenade Capacity
  • Elite Mercenary 6: Power Damage – Power Damage – Charge Generation
  • Omni-Bow Mastery 6: Durability – Shield Recharge – Fitness Expert
Weapon: Talon (High-Caliber Barrel + Power Magnifier)

Defensive Benchmark: 825 (Platinum Guardian)

The Talon mercenary does one thing really well. Well, two things. First he ruins your keybindings, and then he destroys entire spawns with trip mine spam. If you lay a trip mine while you already have three on the field, the oldest one detonates instantly, so you can use this feature as a sort of manual trigger.

The trip mines do absolutely absurd damage when you spam them like this. Cain Mine spam actually functions well as an alternative to rockets for speed run purposes, which is all that really needs to be said. Outside of that niche, however, the Talon Merc is not very effective, since he’s made of paper.

Continue to Part Two

Zoran fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Apr 2, 2014

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
I continue to endorse the Crusader as a primary choice for the Geth Juggernaut. It's very versatile, allowing you to draw attention from enemies at any range, with innate cover penetration. Try it, you'll like it.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

zxqv8 posted:

I continue to endorse the Crusader as a primary choice for the Geth Juggernaut. It's very versatile, allowing you to draw attention from enemies at any range, with innate cover penetration. Try it, you'll like it. because you can shoot through goddam walls.
Has it been that long since we've talked about the Geth Wallhacker?

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
I got Mass Effect 3 recently and the multiplayer in this has been fun enough to distract me from the single-player, despite the fact that I suck pretty hard.

For my favorite class so far, I can't decide whether I prefer Turian Sentinel, Human Engineer, or Batarian Soldier.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
I'm doing a Bronze through Plat runthrough of the Zoran builds one by one to see if they work for me, plus once again learning how to play adepts. I'm not quite sold on the vanilla human adept's Training line emphasizing weapon damage, seems the going for power damage seems to be more effective.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I'm pretty sure that power damage boosts don't affect combos, and combos are where human adept shines. This has been a persistently annoying bit of counterintuitive logic since approximately forever.

e: oh also Zoran's build is meant to use biotics as a dot/debuff and your weapon as your main damage source so that might be why weapon power boosts are in the build there. Never mind what I wrote above, then.

Psion fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Dec 31, 2013

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Zoran, why do you not like Shockwave? I've been abusing plenty on the vanilla human adept on Plat to trigger everyone's explosions.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

tribbledirigible posted:

Zoran, why do you not like Shockwave? I've been abusing plenty on the vanilla human adept on Plat to trigger everyone's explosions.

It's more reliable on consoles where you can take Radius, but I'm on PC. Also, I'm mostly going for Incendiary cheese, and to do that well, something has to give.

Maybe Singularity is the better thing to dump, but I'm not sure. I don't play human adept all that much.

Psion posted:

I'm pretty sure that power damage boosts don't affect combos, and combos are where human adept shines. This has been a persistently annoying bit of counterintuitive logic since approximately forever.

e: oh also Zoran's build is meant to use biotics as a dot/debuff and your weapon as your main damage source so that might be why weapon power boosts are in the build there. Never mind what I wrote above, then.

Both of these things are true.

Zoran fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Dec 31, 2013

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

tribbledirigible posted:

Radius upgrade (i.e. "the one you want to take") is bugged on PC. It tends to short out and stop working after 3-4 waves. The animation plays, but it doesn't do any damage, have any force or detonate combos.

It sucks, because otherwise a few mediocre classes (looking at you, Batarian Sentinel) could actually be pretty deadly.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Added engineers.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I'm gonna disagree with you on the Salarian Engie there: I don't take him on platinum much, but (even ignoring FBW) he's one of my most-played gold classes, and I think you're seriously underestimating post-nerf decoy. It's not the game-breaking all-powerful stalwart that it used to be, but it's still pretty cool and useful. I tend to run him like this.

Decoy no longer works well against banshees and poo poo, but it'll keep stuff like marauders and rocket troopers off your back while you go after the real big nasties. Against little stuff, stagger them with powers (or distract them with decoy) then pop their head. Against bigger stuff, tech burst tech burst tech burst. If that's not an option, then you use the SalEng's speciality: running away.

If you're absolutely screwed and imminently about to die, throw down a decoy, then leg it. It'll distract melee stuff too: just not for as long as it used to. Throw it down behind them and they have to turn to face it, then take a swing at it to realise it's not real, then turn back to get you. That gives more than enough time for you to get the hell out of there.

The Salarian Engie is about two things

1) tech bursts
2) never, ever getting killed

#2 is best done by using decoy and energy drain in concert. When in doubt, pop a power and run away.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I've been skipping Singularity lately. It is really good, but even on Gold I find if I have competent teammates everything will die before I get the full use out of it, or the map is one of those big open ones without a nice chokepoint to throw a black hole into. And by skipping Singularity I can get Lifting Shockwave which serves a very similar crowd control role.

It is still nice if you're soloing or being That Guy who's running off to obliterate spawns by themself, and it is great if you're doing Plat! I just prefer more points in my not-dying fitness tree.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

If that's not an option, then you use the SalEng's speciality: running away.

If you're absolutely screwed and imminently about to die, throw down a decoy, then leg it. It'll distract melee stuff too: just not for as long as it used to. Throw it down behind them and they have to turn to face it, then take a swing at it to realise it's not real, then turn back to get you. That gives more than enough time for you to get the hell out of there.

Smart retreats are the most important tactical option for every class. (Except the Juggernaut, I guess.) With good situational awareness, you don't need Decoy to do that.

GenericOverusedName posted:

And by skipping Singularity I can get Lifting Shockwave which serves a very similar crowd control role.

Lifting Shockwave is Real Bad. It only affects one target, it only works if that target is reduced to health, and it negates the physics damage that would likely kill the target. It's not reliable for setting up combos because enemies who are already down to health tend to die too quickly.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Zoran posted:

Smart retreats are the most important tactical option for every class. (Except the Juggernaut, I guess.) With good situational awareness, you don't need Decoy to do that.

I swear to god smart retreats are the hardest thing in the game to do right. I'm not bad at the game, but I die to farrrrrrrrr too many banshee syncs because I don't have the good sense to just retreat rather than keep shooting while backing up.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Pander posted:

I swear to god smart retreats are the hardest thing in the game to do right. I'm not bad at the game, but I die to farrrrrrrrr too many banshee syncs because I don't have the good sense to just retreat rather than keep shooting while backing up.

This may be one positive thing about solo runs. You have to learn when to fight and when to run away. Then, it's a lot easier to apply in other games. Yesterday I was playing with zengur and would regularly announce "I'm running away" when things got hairy.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Just use that Geth Scanner, folks. Knowing when to run away is much easier when you have 20m worth of wallhacks (not to mention finding the next spawn, wallbanging and what else).

Smol fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 31, 2013

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I start thinking that all of my other gear bonuses get lonely since I only seem to go for Geth Scanner or Grenades. I get disoriented when I don't use Geth Scanner.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Smol posted:

Just use that Geth Scanner, folks. Knowing when to run away is much easier when you have 20m worth of wallhacks (not to mention finding the next spawn, wallbanging and what else).

Only have the II model. 12.5m isn't 20m.

Besides, I used to play Counterstrike for ages, I don't need no stinking scanner to wallhack.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

moist turtleneck posted:

I start thinking that all of my other gear bonuses get lonely since I only seem to go for Geth Scanner or Grenades. I get disoriented when I don't use Geth Scanner.

I wish I could get better upgrades. There are only about 4 I use with any frequency (Commando, Warfighter, Grenade, and Stronghold). Once in a while I'll throw on the hydraulic when I get a godzilla urge to run out melee krogan.

Grenades V really wins though. It's so hard not to laugh maniacally as I keep tossing nades into a spawn.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Pander posted:

I wish I could get better upgrades.

I've had two character cards in my last four Arsenal Packs. This game refuses to give me weapons.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I've had two character cards in my last four Arsenal Packs. This game refuses to give me weapons.

It's pretty weird. I went I to X for a whole mess of rare weapons without ever getting a Reegar. Then I went from I to V in Reegar in one night.

I got a Harrier about as early as it was possible to, and haven't gotten another since. I have a Hurricane at IX, but no Indra, Venom, Punisher, Typhoon, or Spitfire, and only I in Saber, Javelin, Talon, Lancer, Harrier, and Valkyrie. I've maxed almost all the rares, but still only have II for the Adas.

I also maxxed out the ultra-rare characters, but have yet to get Batarian Brawler, Asari Valkyrie, Quarian Marksman, Turian Havoc, and Human Vanguard.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer
What if any custom keybindings are you people running with, and/or you using some extra program to set keybinding profiles for each class? I'm realizing that taking the fingers off the WASD keys to hit 1-8 is probably something I should work on. I do have a thumb button on my mouse, but I'm so hamfisted with it I'll probably keep that to non-accurate powers like cloak/shield boost/tech armor/etc.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

1234 and zxcv for powers and consumables works for me. But to be honest, the only button that really matters is medigel, since it's used for reload canceling.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
I usually wrap 6-8 on TGV and just put something unimportant on 5, but the text chat debacle means T is unavailable for ME3 unless you do some editing, so I ended up with YGV.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Is there any way to turn quickly on consoles? Every time I try to spin round to run away I basically end up running off to the side, locking to cover and getting bummed hard by a crowd.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Bootcha posted:

What if any custom keybindings are you people running with, and/or you using some extra program to set keybinding profiles for each class? I'm realizing that taking the fingers off the WASD keys to hit 1-8 is probably something I should work on. I do have a thumb button on my mouse, but I'm so hamfisted with it I'll probably keep that to non-accurate powers like cloak/shield boost/tech armor/etc.

My mouse has ten buttons, so I use that for pretty much everything.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Zoran posted:

My mouse has ten buttons, so I use that for pretty much everything.

Couldn't imagine the discipline you've developed not to yank/twitch/pull the mouse in all directions hitting the different buttons on that thing.

At least L-shift and L-ctrl are right where the pinky can easily hit either of them for the "have to be accurate" powers.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I have two thumb buttons on my mouse. I have the lower one set to the omnibutton (helps with running the pizza and when my keyboard is being dumb), and the upper one I make my 'usual' or 'emergency' power. So Biotic Charge, Cloak, Tek Armur, Throw, things like that.

I just go to the options and manually change the bindings. I probably could use some autohotkey or something to do it for me but :effort:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I know I'm going to sound like Internet Multiplayer Ragewarrior here, but... It makes me sad how glitchy this game is now. Is there really nothing that can be done to get them to patch this?

Problems encountered in the last game included a phantom instantly killing me from the other side of a wall (not sync killing, just all the pew pews hit me at once), a whole round against invisible troopers, instantly popping on top of a crate during extract instead of using it as cover and two missile launcher blasts that didn't register.

I mean, I love the game and I'm going for being able to withstand gold, but it seems like half the challenge is from the bugs now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Sadly this game is no longer supported. There will be no more patches, they're not banning people for hacks/cheating, what we have is all we got for now.

We're hoping whenever ME4 rolls around it'll have a fun as balls multiplayer with fewer bugs and glitches, but who knows when that'll be.

• Locked thread