Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Crows Turn Off posted:

Just unlocked the Slayer and I'm pretty excited about that. How much does this guy own? What (hopefully unnecessary) gun works well with him?
He owns pretty well. I wrote up a powers based build that I run on gold with a Tempest (any light gun works though).

Lagomorphic posted:

N7 Slayer Guide

Rei_ posted:

I still don't have any of the N7, Cerberus, Vorcha or any Sentinel classes that aren't Batarian unlocked. Most of my new gun unlocks are hovering around level 1, i just get poo poo on all the time in public lobbies. I really wish I had more time to play this game or my schedule overlapped with whenever the hell people are online.

If you're on Xbox feel free to add me (my gamertag is Orthonormal). I mostly play gold or farm platinum (which you can do with a Batarian Sent).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Lagomorphic posted:

He owns pretty well. I wrote up a powers based build that I run on gold with a Tempest (any light gun works though).
Thanks for the guide. Those power upgrades are what I selected anyway, so off to a good start!

I haven't actually played him yet, so it might make more sense when I do, but I don't know what you mean when you say to teleport through walls. Is teleporting just the dodge, or is it the Slash, or is it something different altogether?

vvv Cool, thanks! :)

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Aug 9, 2012

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Crows Turn Off posted:

Thanks for the guide. Those power upgrades are what I selected anyway, so off to a good start!

I haven't actually played him yet, so it might make more sense when I do, but I don't know what you mean when you say to teleport through walls. Is teleporting just the dodge, or is it the Slash, or is it something different altogether?

Dodge and heavy melee; Biotic Slash doesn't have a teleport on it though the shockwave effect does go through any walls. The dodge teleports through walls (though obviously it's hard to do straight forwards as you'll usually just take cover against the wall, so turn sideways and then dodge), and so will the heavy melee. The light melee is too short a teleport to get through anything but maybe the thinnest of walls, though.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Cheap Vodka posted:

The saber is so loving good. Put an extended barrel and piercing mod on it and it basically turns into a railgun. The weight is kind of high, but I just use it on the Destroyer since cooldowns don't mean poo poo with that class.

The best part of the Saber is the sound it makes. I like to just fire it randomly in between waves.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Felinoid beat me to it but I'll just add that I almost never use the melee attack myself so it's definitely not necessary for the hit and run. This is a playstyle thing I rarely use melee on any of my classes unless I build specifically for it, so if melee works for you use it. I mostly rely on the side dodge to get through walls, it's great when an Atlas is between you and an objective and you just teleport around it.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Lagomorphic posted:

Felinoid beat me to it but I'll just add that I almost never use the melee attack myself so it's definitely not necessary for the hit and run. This is a playstyle thing I rarely use melee on any of my classes unless I build specifically for it, so if melee works for you use it. I mostly rely on the side dodge to get through walls, it's great when an Atlas is between you and an objective and you just teleport around it.

A little tangential, but the best objective teleport I think is on Hydra. When devices pop up, there are two potential spots that are practically right next to each other space-wise, but have a wall between them. So if you go for the wrong spot and discover it's actually on the other side, you have to go the long way around T-shaped walls (from the bottom left corner around the wide top to the bottom right corner, or vice-versa). Slayer or Fury? Turn sideways, dodge, and you're right on top of it. :smug:

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I fuckin hate the teleport dodge. I try to roll into cover and end up on the other side of the cover in the middle of 3 marauders a full 60% of the time. Doesn't matter if we're actually fighting Geth or Cerb, those 3 fuckin Marauders show up.

Delpino
May 12, 2001
Forum Veteran

Schubalts posted:

The best part of the Saber is the sound it makes. I like to just fire it randomly in between waves.
I've loved that gun since it was the first N7 weapon I got ages ago. People would always make fun of it and say I should use a Mattock, but I like not having carpal tunnel. Krogan Sentinel was the first character I loved playing as, and the only problem I have now is deciding whether or not to use my Saber on my N7 Destroyer or keep using my Revenant X which plows through things like nobody's business.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
Cool, Origin updated and now my friendslist is broken. :thumbsup:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
great now I'm imagining a Larry, Curly and Moe Marauder webcomic

something sort of like this http://browse.deviantart.com/?order=9&q=mass+effect+cerberus+phantom&offset=24#/d550783

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

AngryBooch posted:

I fuckin hate the teleport dodge. I try to roll into cover and end up on the other side of the cover in the middle of 3 marauders a full 60% of the time. Doesn't matter if we're actually fighting Geth or Cerb, those 3 fuckin Marauders show up.

The funny part for me is that I know this isn't Hyperbole, and this is on Platinum.

Here's an interesting thought, do the melee attachments for the Pistol and Assault Rifle work on characters with AoE type melees, like the Geth and Asari Heavy melee? Or would it only work for the quick melee?

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Semisponge posted:

Cool, Origin updated and now my friendslist is broken. :thumbsup:

Mine too! And the Origin overlay doesn't come up when I press shift+F1 like it should.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Vietnamwees posted:

The funny part for me is that I know this isn't Hyperbole, and this is on Platinum.

Here's an interesting thought, do the melee attachments for the Pistol and Assault Rifle work on characters with AoE type melees, like the Geth and Asari Heavy melee? Or would it only work for the quick melee?

They boost all melee, mechanics trump flavor in this case.

highmodulus
Feb 16, 2011

Let's go crazy Broadway style!

Doflamingo posted:

Mine too! And the Origin overlay doesn't come up when I press shift+F1 like it should.

EA quality control remains an oxymoron.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

So what's a good way to play the Shadow on Gold without feeding horribly and dying every couple of minutes?

Edit:
I've got it set to 6-4-6-5-5 with duration, melee, and bonus power on cloak, Damage on slash, Damage, Burn, and Damage on Strike, Power Damage and Power damage on Shadow [i hear that does buff strike], and meleex2 on fitness.

Disciple II puts me at +166% with blade an smart choke. I can use an ULM Acolyte III also to go to 138, or something.

Of the relevant equipment, I can field Structural Ergonomics II, Hydraulic Joints II, or Shield Booster III.

Alpha Phoenix fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 9, 2012

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
http://narida.pytalhost.com/me3/classes/#45MDPIL@0@0@A@@@0@0@0@0

High level Carnifex or Paladin with melee stunner (or whatever you have to keep your cooldown as low as possible), runspeed consumables and melee damage gear, don't play Reapers and always know where shielded enemies are - they are your lifeline. Be aggressive, only use your gun on Guardians or Stasis'd Phantoms and break LoS before you use Shadow Strike on a Phantom.
Cloak -> Shadow Strike -> Shadow Strike -> Melee if not dead -> run away, repeat. Use Slash on primed groups or something, I always forget I have that skill.

It's a really fun way to play, but you absolutely have to take risks. Lots of them.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
I haven't played since the first dlc. Is drell adept with reave and cluster maxed still fun as hell to play?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Well I got the N7 Fury quite a while back, and played it for a while until I forgot it in favor of other classes.

But yesterday I took her for a spin again (up from level 1 since I promoted my Adepts earlier) and specced for maximum biotic explodeyness. Jesus christ, she's a blast to play (literally :downsrim: ). Love the hecticness of running around looking for piles of trash mooks, barging into them with Annihilation field and exploding them all.

Also unlocked the Indra, and put it on my Geth Infiltrator. Seemed to work quite well, though I really need a reset card for that guy since I didn't really know what the gently caress I was doing while leveling him up.

Furthermore, I unlocked the Asari Justicar as well but haven't tried her yet. Any tips?

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

I have shotgun melee IV, and pistol melee 0 :( so I guess I ought to stick to the Disciple until I get a few ranks of it. I think I mostly need to practice and become better at the timing and running away.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
How do you guys feel on Magazine Upgrade vs. Heat Sink for the Hurricane?

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Danger posted:

I haven't played since the first dlc. Is drell adept with reave and cluster maxed still fun as hell to play?

Well there's gear now, so you can get up to 5 extra grenades to play with now. So Drell are better than ever. One the other hand there's a lot of new exciting biotic classes to play so Drell are becoming pretty rare.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

VJeff posted:

How do you guys feel on Magazine Upgrade vs. Heat Sink for the Hurricane?

Heat Sink, heat skink all the way. Magazine just increases the bullets per thermal clip, heat sink increases bullets per clip and overall.

Heat sink and HV barrel for up close murder, stability and HV barrel for mid-range murder.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Lagomorphic posted:

Well there's gear now, so you can get up to 5 extra grenades to play with now. So Drell are better than ever. One the other hand there's a lot of new exciting biotic classes to play so Drell are becoming pretty rare.
I saw a Drell Adept yesterday.
He was carrying a Widow AND a Disciple. :v:

Delpino
May 12, 2001
Forum Veteran

Nordick posted:

I saw a Drell Adept yesterday.
He was carrying a Widow AND a Disciple. :v:

Now the important thing to ask: What level was he? I know when I level mine from scratch for the first few matches I tend to go Black Widow/heavy shotgun simply since my biotics are rear end until at least 8 or so.

Of course, knowing the general playerbase, he was 20. :gonk:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Hm, that's a good point I suppose. But I'm reasonably sure he was like level 16 or so.

EDIT: Speaking of biotics with guns, do Asari Justicars usually run with some more firepower than the usual Adepts? They do get quite a hefty reduction to the weight of ARs, but that would require taking the passive up to 6.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 9, 2012

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!
Just used the Krysae for the first time in about a month. drat thing got nerfed into uselessness... :(.

The lower rate of fire is really punishing.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Nordick posted:

Speaking of biotics with guns, do Asari Justicars usually run with some more firepower than the usual Adepts? They do get quite a hefty reduction to the weight of ARs, but that would require taking the passive up to 6.
Why wouldn't they be able to take the passive up to 6? It's not like they need Pull for anything.

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008

Nordick posted:

EDIT: Speaking of biotics with guns, do Asari Justicars usually run with some more firepower than the usual Adepts? They do get quite a hefty reduction to the weight of ARs, but that would require taking the passive up to 6.

Saber rocks.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.
So I remember from the last thread that someone posted a comparison of the Indra vs. the Harrier. Can someone repost that? I just got one, and my turian sentinel is in favor of a solid rapid-fire solution that doesn't weigh a ton.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Gasoline posted:

Saber rocks.

Yeah I'm glad this got brought up, I had one I was totally neglecting and it feels good to use on my Demolisher.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Mr Dog posted:

great now I'm imagining a Larry, Curly and Moe Marauder webcomic

something sort of like this http://browse.deviantart.com/?order=9&q=mass+effect+cerberus+phantom&offset=24#/d550783

...but, how is this possibru?

Did he use some sort of animator program and design the models from scratch or did he somehow use the game or something?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Magic Love Hose posted:

So I remember from the last thread that someone posted a comparison of the Indra vs. the Harrier. Can someone repost that? I just got one, and my turian sentinel is in favor of a solid rapid-fire solution that doesn't weigh a ton.
It would need to be updated, since the Indra just got a ~15% damage buff.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

SciFiDownBeat posted:

...but, how is this possibru?

Did he use some sort of animator program and design the models from scratch or did he somehow use the game or something?

The background textures (and specifically the doors) make this look like it's been done in Gmod. I've also seen animations with Mass Effect models done in Gmod before so there's probably a set of those out there somewhere.
The game runs on Unreal Engine 3 so it's probably not terribly difficult to extract the models from the original game files and go from there.

EDIT: To clarify, Gmod is a very popular mod for Half-Life 2 that lets you pose and animate characters quite easily in easy to build (or pre-built) environments based on HL2 assets. If you can manage to get your hands on the model files of any given game (and convert them to a HL2 compatible format) you can do pretty much anything you like with them.

Burning Mustache fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 10, 2012

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Oh right, duh. I forgot about Gmod. I didn't realize that it was that versatile though. So you could probably use Gmod with any UE3 model?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Case in point: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Liudw5xlkU0

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.
EDIT: /\/\/\ Oh holy poo poo this owns

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Oh right, duh. I forgot about Gmod. I didn't realize that it was that versatile though. So you could probably use Gmod with any UE3 model?

If you can convert them to HL2 models (assign the skeleton / bone system properly, etc), sure! I have no idea how easy or complicated it is though, I've never really played around with Gmod much myself, let alone UE3 models or game files.
It might be trivially easy with the proper extractor tools and plugins for your various 3d modelling programs like 3ds Max / Maya / Poser though.

Burning Mustache fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Aug 10, 2012

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

The only things funny about that was people getting hurt. :colbert:

But that's pretty much all it was, so :haw:

Eckertmania
May 11, 2007

"'Hey, a computer took your place, daddy.' That's hard times! That's hard times!"

Nordick posted:

Hm, that's a good point I suppose. But I'm reasonably sure he was like level 16 or so.

I use a Harrier (scope and stabilization) with a Phalanx (ultralight and scope) as my sidearm. I also don't use Pull at all, so I went full with the passive (AR reduction).

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

dazoner posted:

Just used the Krysae for the first time in about a month. drat thing got nerfed into uselessness... :(.

The lower rate of fire is really punishing.

Just finished a Cerberus Silver game with my all damage Salinf. Tried to get into a gold with lvl 2 sniper amp and disruptor ammo, got shunted to silver, and it still took 3 direct his to kill an assault trooper. Bleh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Nordick posted:

Since AJ's rank 5 passive is bugged, in effect the last evolution will cost you 11 skill points, which isn't really worth it. As a result, the default AJ build is 6/6/4/4/6

• Locked thread