Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
I actually think I'll do all of my Assault rifle goals on the Ghost, since I have him specced for all the extra AR damage. Should go relatively quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

God I hate pubbies. Wave 9...nah I don't think I'll use any medi gel...someone will come get me.

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?

Gushing Granny posted:

I really don't know how people get so good at this game. I always contribute the least amount of points to my team for some reason. Maybe it's my build, not having the right weapons or something.

This used to happen to me a lot as well. It helps to have a good build and a good gun to go with it. Ask in this thread or check some of the guides in the OP for ideas. Mostly though it has a lot to do with the stupid scoring system. You get a lot of points for the killing blow regrdless of how much damage you have done to an enemy prior and it really sucks for support and non burst damage characters.

To be honest as long as you aren't going down a lot and are doing objectives, using consumables at the right time and reviving people I wouldnt pay too much attention to your score. You're already better than like 90% of the player base.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
^^ What he said.

And if they kick you because of a low score while you're on a support class, you don't want to play with them anyway.

e: to :qq: about Origin.

Did origin get worse lately? It won't accurately report whether someone is in a game, leaving me unable to join half the time I'm invited, and often doesn't even show me who's actually online. Is there a setting I'm missing or is it just this terrible?

zxqv8 fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 13, 2012

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You sure its not just people killing everything before you granny?

I try my damnedest when I'm playing and do all objectives and book it to downed teammates but a lot of times everyone just has so much better gear.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Gerdalti posted:

Origin's friend system is such poo poo. Is there any way to tell who's still playing aside from guessing who to pick on the list from the OP?

The list IS pretty outdated and could probably use a restart at some point to create a more manageable list of players that are likely to be on and looking to get a wider pool of potential players. Just going by the most recent people doesn't do much, as a lot of the experienced players are quite far up in the list.

Until then, I'm on Origin as Mesnomer. I generally play random Gold matches with pubbies, so I'm always up for competent people that I don't have to drag around. And I certainly don't mind showing people the ropes and giving what feedback I can.

Kraven Moorhed fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 13, 2012

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Until then, I'm on Origin as Mesnomer. I generally play random Gold matches with pubbies, so I'm always up for competent people that I don't have to drag around.

Same, except my name on origin is KingOfTheAnimes and I'm an incompetent pubbie looking for people to drag me around.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

zxqv8 posted:

e: to :qq: about Origin.

Did origin get worse lately? It won't accurately report whether someone is in a game, leaving me unable to join half the time I'm invited, and often doesn't even show me who's actually online. Is there a setting I'm missing or is it just this terrible?

If you mean that it doesn't show the people symbol, that's part of an intended change. It will now only show that and allow you to join their game if there's a slot left. So that means that someone who's playing SP, and someone who's playing MP but is in a full game, are now completely indistinguishable. (E: It also means that if someone gets a lot of quits and joins for their lobby, your chat window will get spammed with "X is now playing Mass Effect 3".)

If it's more than that...well, Origin hasn't let me connect to one of my friends or vice versa for the past month. Lately it won't even let us be in the same game hosted by someone else. poo poo be crazy.

Felinoid fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 13, 2012

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
hahaha posessed Praetorians are The Worst

Tyrel Lohr
Mar 1, 2007

No, sir, I don't care for Frungy.
Origin id is tyrellohr - I tend to play Silvers unless I can find a competent group to do Golds with. My luck with random Golds hasn't been the best in the past, but games with friends and goons have always went well. The competency of the players has typically had an inverse relation to the quantity and quality of equipment that I have on when I join a Gold game.

I do agree that the player list is pretty outdated now. There are several people I added in April that I haven't seen online or in game since May or June.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
I give up trying to do Gold with pubbies on Xbox. Possibly worst player base ever.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

nwin posted:

drat I love the harrier but the ammo capacity is poo poo...currently using it in my ghost. Any recommendations?

I only have Harrier I myself and I'm rocking the ghost with that set up as well. Best advice I have is stick at or near ammo boxes. You get survival packs and ammo quickly enough. So even with the low ammo capacity in it you can still dish it out fast enough. Don't do the Ammo Capacity Gear. It'll at best give you ~ 30 more bullets on a Harrier I.

Also I don't know if it was a good idea or not but I completely ignored Overload. I may give it another shot but I just like the whole weapon damage and health and shield boosts.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
God damnit. Completed up to Wave 11 on Bronze trying to level up my newly promoted Krogan Soldier, and then as the counter hit 0 "You have lost connection." So alright, maybe I'll try hosting my own game. Soloing FBW/R/S as an N7 Fury and then on Wave 6 "You have lost connection." What the gently caress EA.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Xad posted:

God damnit. Completed up to Wave 11 on Bronze trying to level up my newly promoted Krogan Soldier, and then as the counter hit 0 "You have lost connection." So alright, maybe I'll try hosting my own game. Soloing FBW/R/S as an N7 Fury and then on Wave 6 "You have lost connection." What the gently caress EA.

This just happened to me when I finally managed to get a competent group on wave 10 gold collectors. gently caress everything, basically.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

So I heard something about Volus or something? Ricky. Assemble the team. :hellyeah:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQo1HIcSVtg

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

James R posted:

This is going to sound stupid, but I remember someone posting a link to a website that lets you check your stats etc and I cannot for the life of me find it.
http://social.bioware.com/n7hq
(You need to have your Bioware Social account set up and linked to your EA account for it to work.)

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

Oh, does that title mean you're good? :smug:

Jesus, dude. :gonk:

I ground out Biotic God and Mathemagician, but that's probably the extent of my attention span. The weapon nameplates in particular look... painful.

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Oh, does that title mean you're good? :smug:

Under normal circumstances one could assume that indeed, but it's funny because since the missile glitch exists that might just be the easiest title to get in the entire game as far as pure time investment goes.

e: grammar.

Amateur Saboteur fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 13, 2012

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Progress and unlocks don't carry across platforms, do they? I've got a buddy on PC who wants to play with me but I own it on 360. I'd consider buying it on PC if it meant I could keep my progress.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lagomorphic posted:

I don't think anyone in this thread has that mindset. You posted about a build and someone commented on it. It tends to happen in a game discussion thread. You can always ignore any advice given and no one will care. I've learned a lot from people criticizing my builds though.

Fair enough, I'm just saying, I do fine without Cloak on several characters that have it, and I seem to remember a lot of "but you have to use Cloak on every class that has access to it" talk. Since they nerfed the time you stay cloaked and can't even do Objectives with it, it's even more annoying.

Wet Biscuit McGlee
Jul 13, 2006

girls hate me

FronzelNeekburm posted:

http://social.bioware.com/n7hq
(You need to have your Bioware Social account set up and linked to your EA account for it to work.)

Jesus, dude. :gonk:

I ground out Biotic God and Mathemagician, but that's probably the extent of my attention span. The weapon nameplates in particular look... painful.

Solo Mastery is probably the quickest (not easiest) title you can get. You have to only do 3 out of 4 of the challenges, so a platinum solo is not necessary. I got it last night. Krogan Vanguard with a Reegar can solo Gold Geth very easily, give it a shot sometime. In fact the geth sort of reach a critical mass on silver difficulty in regards to the amount of annoying stuff they throw at you, there was not too much a difference between the two difficulties.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Has anyone managed to get VoIP working again after the patch? I have a webcam mic that stopped working after the patch hit, no matter what I do I can't get it to operate in-game again.

(Skype works fine, of course)

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

loving pubbies...

Playing a gold game, and this one person wasn't helping at all, some level 7 that was playing gold, so me and another guy tried to kick him...but the third person wouldn't kick. The guy that sucked changed classes so I figured maybe he was messing around with the classes...he put on his best gear for this next game and it was a level 20 n7 shadow, so I figured we'll give it another shot...

We get put on FBW, and everyone sets up like they were farming the old map, so I was pretty sure we were hosed from the beginning. The N7 runs all the way to the back of the map and proceeds to do nothing but dodge bullets the whole loving game. One guy got fed up and left at wave 8. Then wave 9 we all wiped and then the N7 started to actually try a little bit. Prior to that wave, he had 400 loving points...he ended with 6000 and then he got killed and decided not to medi-gel himself.

I mean for fucks sake, great way to grief us buddy.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I swear to God "random enemy" literally means "90% chance of Collectors".

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Amateur Saboteur posted:

Under normal circumstances one could assume that indeed, but it's funny because since the missile e glitch exists that might just be one of the easiest titles to get in the game as far as pure time investment goes.

I'm not up to speed on glitching techniques but I'm fairly certain that the host can't missile glitch, and to solo you'd need to be the host. AFAIK anyone with the title is legit, and since there is missile glitching, it's also the only banner with a real skill barrier.

That DICK! posted:

So I heard something about Volus or something? Ricky. Assemble the team. :hellyeah:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQo1HIcSVtg

Neutering the farm maps and introducing challenge points breathed new life into this game, so i'll be playing this pretty regularly until AC3 comes out. Hop on and have your kill feed saturated with Ricky Martin [Flamer]

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Unclouded posted:

Also I don't know if it was a good idea or not but I completely ignored Overload. I may give it another shot but I just like the whole weapon damage and health and shield boosts.

nooooo

Seriously, Overload is one thing I never skimp out on-- especially on the Ghost. Its lower cooldown offsets Cloak's if you fire it before your cloak wears off, making it not only useful for keeping your DPS up, but also for stripping shields and setting up/off combos. Incendiary ammo is fantastic for this.

To be honest, Fitness is overrated on a Ghost. Your mobility and stimpacks (even when fully damage specced) provide all the survivability you need. I recently respecced into 3 levels of fitness only because I started using a Raider with my Ghost and didn't need either level 6 Cloak evo, and I haven't noticed much of a difference in terms of taking hits. Remember that you're playing an Infiltrator, so you should be skirting the edges of combat to kill problematic mobs (Overloading from Cloak followed by some good hosing trashes mid-level mobs and Phantoms), strip shields from bosses, and jet in cloaked for quick revives.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Wet Biscuit McGlee posted:

Solo Mastery is probably the quickest (not easiest) title you can get. You have to only do 3 out of 4 of the challenges, so a platinum solo is not necessary. I got it last night. Krogan Vanguard with a Reegar can solo Gold Geth very easily, give it a shot sometime. In fact the geth sort of reach a critical mass on silver difficulty in regards to the amount of annoying stuff they throw at you, there was not too much a difference between the two difficulties.

Honestly soloing plat isn't that much harder than soloing gold, and it's far more interesting to solo plat 1x than it is to solo bronze 5x. It's also faster and much more satisfying, even if it takes a couple tries.

The challenge system rules, I didn't give a poo poo about soloing until I saw there was a banner for it.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
I carry Gold all the time and I've soloed it two or three times but I honestly cannot fathom soloing Plat

I'm a scrub :smith:

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I'm not up to speed on glitching techniques but I'm fairly certain that the host can't missile glitch, and to solo you'd need to be the host. AFAIK anyone with the title is legit, and since there is missile glitching, it's also the only banner with a real skill barrier.
That's fair enough to say, but the reality I view is that someone could easily missile farm a literal billion credits and have all the gear necessary to become an actual god. This game as I see it has about a 30% skill 70% gear factor when it comes to how easy it is to perform any given task.

I'm sorry if it seems like I'm trying to belittle your accomplishment because that isn't my intention. I am however extremely bitter about how such a gamebreaking and seemingly simple exploit has been allowed to continue for so long. I put up the same amount of fuss months ago when the wave 10 glitch was prevalent and this is a million times worse.

As an aside for my small plebeian victories I've finally fully extracted on a platinum (post patch) without the help of you lazy rear end goons (or goddamn scummy missile abusers). :argh:

It's no giant feat, but wasn't easy with 0 friends that still play this game online ever and only ~160 hours played worth of gear. In fact no one in the match was particularly rich I think the best guns we had were Hurricane II's and a Saber V or something.

Volus Engineer is a massive boon especially with the new team-wide medigel thing he's practically a godsend.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Amateur Saboteur posted:

Volus Engineer is a massive boon especially with the new team-wide medigel thing he's practically a godsend.

A god you say? :regd08:

I have been meaning to play the volus, but I find myself not caring and sticking with the same old same old.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I'm pretty sure they put the Collectors in simply to stop people from stockpiling missiles forever. Not that it does that very well, but I'm a bit more liberal with them now especially if I see a couple of Praetorians lined up.

I've been sending out most of my kits with the Geth Pulse Rifle now. It's light enough to let you sling powers around pretty fast, and you almost never have to reload it. And it's steady. Maybe the Geth Plasma Shotgun'll do more damage but I die a lot less when I can actually take cover in this cover-based shooting game.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

Xad posted:

This happened to me, except on Gold and the extraction popup notification even came up. Then as the game loaded back to the lobby I lost connection to the servers, lost everything I'd gained that match. :argh:

That's one thing I wish they'd fix - automatically give you credits as you complete the waves, instead of losing everything if you are disconnected. It's happened many, many times and I want my spacebux.

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?
I was in a game just now and threw an inferno grenade into a group of marauders and cannibals while an engineer next to me used overload on the same group and we watched in awe as the entire group evaporated in fire explosions. I guess chain specced overload can set off multiple combos. Overload: a Good Power (tm)

Its a shame the rest of that game was so awful. There are a lot of people playing gold right now who really shouldn't be there. Thanks to a vorcha who wouldn't stop meleeing banshees and a krogan vanguard using a widow who never charged the game turned into a bit of a chore. We got unlucky and had a hack for wave 10 and the hack zone quickly turned into a total clusterfuck as wave 10 hacks tend to do, especially fighting reapers. The vorcha and kroguard got grabbed and I used all my missiles with a third of the hack left. I get backed into a corner and keep getting downed over and over but I use my last medigel and finally manage to complete the hack with my dying breath. I then got to sit and watch while the engineer, who was nowhere to be seen up to this point, plinked his way through the rest of the wave. He went down a few times and I kept hoping he'd give up so we could all get paid but he just kept on getting up again and again and again and oh jeez just use a missile dude. It ended up taking him over 15 minutes :gonk:

I should have just left but I needed more consumables and dammit I earned those credits.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

el oso posted:

This happened to me, except on Gold and the extraction popup notification even came up. Then as the game loaded back to the lobby I lost connection to the servers, lost everything I'd gained that match. :argh:

That's one thing I wish they'd fix - automatically give you credits as you complete the waves, instead of losing everything if you are disconnected. It's happened many, many times and I want my spacebux.

Yeah, so this just happened. Got to Wave 11, timer hits 0 and...the host disconnected or something? Wave starts over, a new fourth guy joins and then the timer hits zero again and...Mission...Failed...what? Nobody was dead or even on the floor.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:
If anyone wants to do the Slayer/Volus combo I got a Volus and am happy to do it. What's the build people want me to use? I went for Radius, not-cooldown, and DR, so I might need to respec.

Edit: Origin is Arcaeris.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

precision posted:

Fair enough, I'm just saying, I do fine without Cloak on several characters that have it, and I seem to remember a lot of "but you have to use Cloak on every class that has access to it" talk. Since they nerfed the time you stay cloaked and can't even do Objectives with it, it's even more annoying.

Well no one is saying you're doing it wrong, just pointing out what you're missing out by using an unusual build.

In addition to missing out on the huge damage buff to Shadow Strike, with no cloak you're also losing the ability to double Shadow Strike with complete impunity with the bonus power cloak evolution. Even if you don't use SS a second time, it allows you to maintain cloak and escape from a situation with nearly total safely (also meaning you can be more ballsy and SS into enemy groups since you won't be met with immediate gun fire to the face unless you're unlucky) or finish off a near death enemy quicker since you'll get some shots off before the cloak drops, or you'll hit them with a cloak buffed heavy melee.

I use 6/3/6/6/5 for doing this (since the last evolution of the fitness tree used to not effect Shadow Strike and I don't want to give up Electric Slash to take it now that it works)

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Amateur Saboteur posted:

Under normal circumstances one could assume that indeed, but it's funny because since the missile glitch exists that might just be the easiest title to get in the entire game as far as pure time investment goes.

e: grammar.

You can't use the missile glitch as the host if I recall.

TwistedLadder
Mar 16, 2011

The only Disney Princess with a body count... in the thousands.
Just played a really awesome silver game with some cool pubbies, one was a QFI who kept using Sabotage on Geth Bombers. Watching them bomb the rest of the Geth was incredibly satisfying.

Also, the geth turret flamethrower can now prime for fire explosions, so the geth engineer's damage output has the potential to be a lot higher. Using geth turret + chain overload solves a lot of problems really fast.

I agree that the gear you have does a lot to determine how valuable you are as a player. I've noticed that I've gotten a lot better and die a lot less now that I have better guns, upgraded gear and more consumables.

Still no Justicar, Slayer, or Shadow, though. Curse you, desire sensor! :argh:

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I think there might be something to the Geth bombers not getting hit with Overload. I played another Gold/Geth game today as my HuEng and the little bastards would float over, get overloaded and not have their shield bar move at all, then zap/bomb me. It may just be lag but I've never had anything lag out of an "instant" power like that. Scooting 10 feet to the left in a split second to avoid an incinerate is annoying too but everything else does it so whatever. Is anyone else seeing this?

TwistedLadder
Mar 16, 2011

The only Disney Princess with a body count... in the thousands.

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I think there might be something to the Geth bombers not getting hit with Overload. I played another Gold/Geth game today as my HuEng and the little bastards would float over, get overloaded and not have their shield bar move at all, then zap/bomb me. It may just be lag but I've never had anything lag out of an "instant" power like that. Scooting 10 feet to the left in a split second to avoid an incinerate is annoying too but everything else does it so whatever. Is anyone else seeing this?

I definitely am. I'm accustomed to my gethgineer's overload immediately taking out the shields of whatever I use it on, but the geth bomber's shield bar seems to be unaffected some of the time. When it does hit, it takes the shields out, but I usually have to try three or four times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I've been playing the Ghost (almost) exclusively since the DLC dropped, and yeah, Overload does jack poo poo to them most of the time. I guess Bioware decided that the Geth weren't buggy enough with just the Hunters. :v:

• Locked thread