Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

jpmeyer posted:

MIGHT be confirmation bias, but I vaguely recall that the percentages on the rolls for what type of item you get aren't split evenly 25/25/25/25 between guns/characters/mods/gear, which is probably why I've been getting tons of level IV consumables from my PSPs even though I've only maxed out guns.

Probably, I have a tonne of Gear still to max out and regularly open PSPs with 3 level IV ammo items.

Is this what it feels like to get to the "endgame" of an MMO? Because man, it kind of sucks. I can't even remember when the last Ultra Rare I got was. I can't believe people are still spending Real Money on PSPs with a drop rate so low, unless the drop rate for URs is secretly much higher if you use Real Money, which I would not be surprised by considering just how goddamn many Harrier Xs I keep seeing everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Hell no, the real endgame now is grinding hundreds of waves and poo poo weapons for vanity titles and a gradually increasing gold number under your screen name.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???
The real endgame is 2 paladins light melee whacking possessed abominations back and forth between each other.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Felinoid posted:

While that would be a very Bioware way to do things, that would result in a ridiculous amount of level 4 ammos even when a new class was available. Noone would be able to get anything at a reasonable rate. It's far more likely the RNG just rolled Gun, and went "welp, you've got 'em all, have this".
They almost certainly boost the drop rates for brand new characters/guns, but that really is how Rare character cards work. After all the rare guns, rare equipment (respec cards), and rare gear get taken out of the rotation, rare characters are the only thing left that doesn't max out. That's why they swap them for level 4 ammo -- it was pissing off all the Spectre Pack buyers to get a guaranteed worthless rare card every time.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

precision posted:

Is this what it feels like to get to the "endgame" of an MMO?

No, if it were the endgame of an MMO you'd be going into Firebase White every night week with 9-24 other players and do 10 waves over the course of an hour and instead of extraction you fight a really big banshee that takes another hour to kill on its own. And then one person in your raid would get a Cerberus Harrier X. (not you though)

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

The real endgame is due to untold glitching, you desperately medigelling over and over while a geth pyro stomps on your face and three bombers staggerlock you, forever.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

Silver Alicorn posted:

No, if it were the endgame of an MMO you'd be going into Firebase White every night week with 9-24 other players and do 10 waves over the course of an hour and instead of extraction you fight a really big banshee that takes another hour to kill on its own. And then one person in your raid would get a Cerberus Harrier X. (not you though)

Bonus points if the Harrier X ends up going to the Geth Infiltrator or Fury in the group.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

jpmeyer posted:

Bonus points if the Harrier X ends up going to the Geth Infiltrator or Fury in the group.

Psh I'd put a Harrier X on a Fury, having just looked up the stats it has at that level :catstare:

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009
Operation: PRIVATEER (November 23rd-25th)

Cerberus’s hit-and-run attacks in the Terminus Systems have tied down a disproportionate number of local fighting ships and operations. We can spare only a small, elite force to eliminate the enemy. This force has the secondary objective of analyzing and finding a weakness in Cerberus’s kinetic barrier technology, which is key to bringing down large-scale hardened barriers.

Individual Goal: Earn 50,000 points versus any enemy with shields on any map, at any difficulty. Points are cumulative across matches. (Cerberus Centurion, Cerberus Engineer, Cerberus Engineer Turret, Cerberus Nemesis, Cerberus Atlas, Reaper Marauder, Geth Rocket Trooper, Geth Hunter, Geth Pyro, Geth Prime, Geth Prime Turret, Geth Prime Rocket Drone, Geth Bomber)

Allied Goal: Complete 50,000 cumulative total extractions of Batarian, Vorcha, or Turian characters.

Special Circumstance: None

Individual Goal Success: All individual players awarded a Commendation Pack and Corsair banner

Allied Goal Success: All players awarded a Victory Pack and the potential max capacity for Ops Survival Kit will be increased to 6.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
Brute squads vs Cerberus this weekend, I guess!

e: Well, or geth, I guess. Cerberus are more fun IMO.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Darn, I was hoping for a banner featuring a Krogan dressed as a pilgrim.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
It looks like just a regular weekend event, honestly.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

Vietnamwees posted:

So yesterday I was playing as the new Volus and the random group I was with had a Slayer.:pcgaming:

Phase Disruptor all the time, everywhere man. I wonder how long this will last until Bioware decides to modify how it works.

I was playing a Novaguard in a group with a volus and a Geth Trooper. Nonstop Nova being spammed to detonate fire explosions.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
But we already know how to take care of Cerberus shields, it's called an Acolyte. :colbert:

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Darn, I was hoping for a banner featuring a Krogan dressed as a pilgrim.

Thanksgiving was almost 2 months ago :canada:

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.
Holy crap Javelin never not be on my GI. I one shot a banshee on silver. One bullet, all shields and all armor just gone. Here is your 2k points.

In an unrelated note I maybe forgot I had an insanity run started, get up to yon ship and what did I discover but that apparently I had won the war we could all go home.

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?
Oh look a regular-style weekend event. Its almost nostalgic :3:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lynx posted:

Allied Goal Success: All players awarded a Victory Pack and the potential max capacity for Ops Survival Kit will be increased to 6.

I totally can't believe they didn't just throw "Ops Survival Capacity" into the Rare Pool. B-Bioware-sama... is that really you?!

(I bet the goal will fail and that's what they'll do anyway.)

Also just yesterday I said the next ME game should be connected to the main game in the way that Wing Commander: Privateer was to that series. They're LISTENING.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Feonir posted:

Holy crap Javelin never not be on my GI. I one shot a banshee on silver. One bullet, all shields and all armor just gone. Here is your 2k points.

In an unrelated note I maybe forgot I had an insanity run started, get up to yon ship and what did I discover but that apparently I had won the war we could all go home.

The entire game now consists of a single scene with two dudes drinking coffee and monitoring the edge of the solar system, when suddenly some blips appear on the radar and are promptly destroyed by your fleet of superhuman N7 operatives.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Even a Reaper's shields can't stand up to an Acolyte, constant Chain Overloading, and a Geth Trooper-Novaguard Fireteam.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

exquisite tea posted:

The entire game now consists of a single scene with two dudes drinking coffee and monitoring the edge of the solar system, when suddenly some blips appear on the radar and are promptly destroyed by your fleet of superhuman N7 operatives.

Apparently my scrappy N7 team is literally as powerful as a couple thousand Jacks. :stare:

Two Finger posted:

Even a Reaper's shields can't stand up to an Acolyte, constant Chain Overloading, and a Geth Trooper-Novaguard Fireteam.

Don't forget Arc Grenadesplosions. As if I needed another reason to use Male QuarEng.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007
I stopped playing the multiplayer around the time the Geths were released, so all the new stuff added since then is making me want to give it another whirl!

However, that's also part of the problem. Have they added some content-specific packs I can buy, or will I have to play and hope the chests contain one of the new classes/weapons? I always was a bit miffed I never got a Widow sniper rifle for my infiltrator even after ~30 hours played, so I'm not exactly thrilled at the prospect of mostly getting "old" stuff. :(

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?
You can't choose what you get no. Just play a few matches and buy some spectre packs, if you have a lot of stuff left to unlock you'll probably get something good. Then take your shiny new stuff into a few more matches, and buy a few more packs...

Also don't feel too bad about not getting a widow. Its not that great.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Regarding geth infiltrator builds. What's the reason of even putting anything into hunter mode? I'm always cloaking-proxy-shooting with a piranha. It seems hunter mode doesn't stack with cloak? Unless I'm just horribly lagging that is...the last few games today Sometimes I can move fine, but I can't shoot reload or use powers :iiam:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lamquin posted:

I stopped playing the multiplayer around the time the Geths were released, so all the new stuff added since then is making me want to give it another whirl!

However, that's also part of the problem. Have they added some content-specific packs I can buy, or will I have to play and hope the chests contain one of the new classes/weapons? I always was a bit miffed I never got a Widow sniper rifle for my infiltrator even after ~30 hours played, so I'm not exactly thrilled at the prospect of mostly getting "old" stuff. :(

Ahahahaha.

AHAHAHAHAHA. This is so precious.

(You won't necessarily get "old" stuff but if you think 30 hours and no Widow is disappointing, just walk away from the game now and thank me in 300 hours when you've done a lot more with your free time than shoot space magic at robots and zombies.)

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I'm pretty sure they do stack, I'm sure I was doing more damage coming out of cloak.

Also that glitch has been happening more and more often for me recently - hit heavy melee and it'll fix it.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Two Finger posted:

I'm pretty sure they do stack, I'm sure I was doing more damage coming out of cloak.

Also that glitch has been happening more and more often for me recently - hit heavy melee and it'll fix it.
Ok good to know...so should I just always leave hunter mode on then? Or is there an order similar to cloak-proxy-shoot I need to know of?

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Lamquin posted:

Yeah this games multiplayer is pretty much a huge timesink. You either accept that and either go full sperg or just get used to not having everything maxed. You also really don't need everything maxed to have fun on gold. (Full disclosure: I went full sperg.)

If you're on xbox we have a new metatag N7 Goons that you should join so you can at least be getting gold games finished for faster unlocks.

nwin posted:

Regarding geth infiltrator builds. What's the reason of even putting anything into hunter mode? I'm always cloaking-proxy-shooting with a piranha. It seems hunter mode doesn't stack with cloak? Unless I'm just horribly lagging that is...the last few games today Sometimes I can move fine, but I can't shoot reload or use powers :iiam:

Hunter mode will add 7.5-17.5% to all damage output, the accuracy and firing rate bonuses are also awesome for shotguns. Seeing through walls will let you cloak before you round corners for maximum survival and is just awesome in general.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007

Pumpking posted:

Also don't feel too bad about not getting a widow. Its not that great.

Really? Huh, I always figured it or the Black Widow were the Sniper rifles to get. I guess there's nothing wrong with the Mantis X, but the few people I saw with a Widow were so cool. And the thing is huge. :shobon:

precision posted:

Ahahahaha.

AHAHAHAHAHA. This is so precious.

(You won't necessarily get "old" stuff but if you think 30 hours and no Widow is disappointing, just walk away from the game now and thank me in 300 hours when you've done a lot more with your free time than shoot space magic at robots and zombies.)

Figures. Admittedly this was when the item-pool was a lot smaller, so I guess my chances now are even smaller.

Thanks for the quick answers, I guess there's nothing more to it than to jump in and pray to the loot gods! :)

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The Black Widow fell out of favour for a while but it's been buffed to be amazing again. The Widow is still great but the Javelin is miles ahead of it now if you need a single shot rifle.

As for unlocks, don't feel bad. I found that the weekly character release is a good time to get unlocks, so save your credits for Tuesdays/Wednesdays.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

UnknownMercenary posted:

The Widow is still great but the Javelin is miles ahead of it now if you need a single shot rifle.
On the other hand, you're likely to have the Javelin at a much lower level than the Widow, it has really bad spare ammo even with the mod to boost it (all the way up to 9 on level 1!), and the firing delay can mess you up at the worst possible times.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Also, the game is a hell of a lot more mobile now, so unless you really like sniping things, you should really give the other classes (or shotty infiltrators) a go.

^^^ I have two weapons left to unlock. One is the Javelin (and the other is the collector smg, thank the star child). URs!!! :argh: ^^^

E: In my experience, Submission Net targeting seems to be hugely affected by lag. I've had a few games on the BatSent where I could shoot just fine, but the net would either fly off into space (I assume the enemies were dodging, but not playing the animation), or just fly right through them (even bosses). I don't have the Vorcha Sentinel, so I'm not sure if the problem is worse on it, but my guess is you just had too much lag.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Nov 21, 2012

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Paracelsus posted:

On the other hand, you're likely to have the Javelin at a much lower level than the Widow, it has really bad spare ammo even with the mod to boost it (all the way up to 9 on level 1!), and the firing delay can mess you up at the worst possible times.

Javelin is one of the only URs I have at a decent level (IV). Yeah it kind of sucks until around then, honestly.

I have no idea why more people don't use the Black Widow though, after the buffs, even at level III it's amazing.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

precision posted:

Submission Net is great and always has been though. Maybe you need to aim it differently? I haven't used the Hunter much but on BatSent Submission Net is pretty amazing with the DOT and Field upgrades especially.

I used it to great effect on my BatSent before. It was one of the most efficient primers for a Tech Burst in the game, but I swear to God, it didn't matter if the enemy was standing completely still and I was two feet away from them, the loving thing just went around them and flew off to who-knows-where 90% of the time with the Hunter.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

The Black Widow is incredible now, especially with the HVB and Thermal Scope not applying extra weight. I'm working on the Salarian Inf challenge and it's loving great.

The Widow is also better now then it has ever been thanks to HVB/TS bugs and Phasic rounds. Although this also applies to the Mantis.

Midee
Jun 22, 2000

exquisite tea posted:

That's what the game menus and loading screens have been foreshadowing. A first person view of them drinking space coffee and using their space USB sticks.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Midee posted:

That's what the game menus and loading screens have been foreshadowing. A first person view of them drinking space coffee and using their space USB sticks.

Hot poo poo I am so sick of that screen.

Like I would seriously pay $2 for the option to cycle between, you know, the dozens of other, better loading screens in the loving game.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Adding myself to the metatag, totally forgot about it. :downs:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

precision posted:

Javelin is one of the only URs I have at a decent level (IV). Yeah it kind of sucks until around then, honestly.

I have no idea why more people don't use the Black Widow though, after the buffs, even at level III it's amazing.
My Javelin is at level 1, stuck there with the Harrier. Even the Collector SMG is higher. The BW is at 5, though, along with the Indra and Saber. :getin: (once I'm done with these weapon challenges)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

That's why I keep mentioning it. Everytime I mention our new metatag N7 Goons I get a few more goons signing up.

Yeah my Sabre was stuck at I for the longest time. It's gone to 3 now after two upgrades within a week of each other. My Typhoon is higher than all of my launch guns at 8 and I still don't have the Collector SMG.

The RNG is a strange god and it's ways are unknowable.

Lagomorphic fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Nov 21, 2012

• Locked thread