Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
The Valiant is a really good sniper rifle for when you actually want to have your powers cool down. It's my go-to sniper (because I still don't have a Black Widow :argh:) and it's actually pretty good on kits like turian Sentinel or geth Engineer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I already have Crusader X and I'm wondering if I'll get to Eagle X before I get Hurricane I.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Moola posted:

You know if you leave a game quickly after joining (I think within 10 minutes), none of your consumables get consumed, right?

Didn't, no! :doh: I'll sure be keeping it in mind though.

CAPSLOCKGIRL
Jul 21, 2011

I actually just hold down the Shift key.
Really wish I could unlock the Turian Havoc. Turians with dodge~

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Piedmon Sama posted:

Didn't, no! :doh: I'll sure be keeping it in mind though.
I think it may be within 10 seconds, not 10 minutes.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

CAPSLOCKGIRL posted:

Really wish I could unlock the Turian Havoc. Turians with dodge~

It actually took me a while to like him, I kept trying to play him like a vanguard, which is a really bad idea. Running him today just as a mobile debuff, then shoot and slam dunk machine made me realize how good him and the saber are.

VVVVVVVV Half second pauses between your shots make it really good, the mattock is a bit better close up because it has a big clip. The saber is closer to a sniper rifle, just without a scope.

ambient oatmeal fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Dec 8, 2012

Talky
Mar 26, 2010
I don't think I "get" the Saber. I keep trying to shoot it like a Mattock but it gets too inaccurate too quick for that and then I miss everything. Maybe I just have bad impulse control.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Hostile negotiations since 1978
Hurricane 3 :smug:

Also purchased a PSP at the same time. Quarian Marksman :downsbravo:

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.

Razin posted:

I don't think I "get" the Saber. I keep trying to shoot it like a Mattock but it gets too inaccurate too quick for that and then I miss everything. Maybe I just have bad impulse control.

I've had best use of the Saber with an ammo expansion and basic scope. I've only got a mk2 currently, otherwise I'd use a thermal scope. Also I pair it with a SMG for close-in work.

Sent a friend request to the N7 Goons tag, I'd like to start getting better at difficulties beyond silver.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

So Garrus playes a TGI with a Mattock :sicknasty:

(1:16:55 into the VGA stream)

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012

Razin posted:

It works really well with Human Soldier built with Conc Shot and Frag nades (no points in adrenaline). Fire off the saber, and spam conc shot on its 1.5 sec cd. Basically every 1.5 saber shots you get a 300 dmg stun (600-900ish if against organics over time, I think shredder might even stack). Slap inferno ammo on there and you'll be detonating fire explosions all day with decent damage on the dot since saber has decent base damage.

PsychoHawk
Aug 7, 2004
We can't stop here ... this is BAT country!

Razin posted:

If you want to really get "get" the Saber, use it with a Batarian Sentinel for Submission Net rape. Net -> Saber liberally to taste. Of course you have to stop if you get rushed, but then you can FALCON PUNCH! stuff dead then back to Netting more Saber victims.

I guess you could use it with any class with stability powers or something to slow down victims.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
Saber on the TGI means many powerful shots down range, staggering all the mooks. HVB and Thermal Scope to see and shoot through walls. Bring along Incendiary ammo to fire explode with overload, or drill ammo to Shoot Everything EverywhereTM.

With 8 shots a clip, you get a lot of practice with how to shoot down a 4x scope. It's a good way to get better at shooting, honestly.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
So I just did a test run of using a Destroyer with and without incendiary ammo on a particle rifle I. It was a really huge difference, I've been iffy on the particle rifle but the thing is beastly with ammo powers and I never felt quite so overpowering in a gold match, it makes phantoms downright squishy.

In other news, now I'm slowly reaching the stage where I'm getting level IV ammo powers with my PSPs, will this happen more often or will the RNG at least be kind and start giving me some ultra rare gun upgrades more often?

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I got the challenge done in a single Gold game with a Particle Rifle Destroyer, and it's a good thing I did since the next time I tried to log in it demanded an online pass (I play on PC) and now I can't play since I obviously don't have one of those. Looking around the internet this seems to be a fairly common problem and EA support is surprisingly pretty unhelpful in resolving it. Is there anything I can do?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I had the same issue today. I used the "Call Me" feature on Origin Help, and they called me up within half an hour to take care of it. They apparently have to give you a brand new product key for the game.

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!
How does anyone use the avenger. That gun is terrible. It takes forever to kill anything. I am struggling though this 140,000 point challenge with it.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.

Zoran posted:

I had the same issue today. I used the "Call Me" feature on Origin Help, and they called me up within half an hour to take care of it. They apparently have to give you a brand new product key for the game.

I was gonna use the "Call Me" feature, but got off work too late for it. I tried another Email to EA tech support and will try calling them on Monday if that doesn't work.

If you get a new product key, does it wipe out progress up to this point? Am I gonna have to go through another thousand rare cards?

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I think your status is connected to your username so that stuff should all be there. If that was the case I would probably take it as my cue to stop playing Mass Effect 3. Hopefully the call me option will do the trick. How does this even happen?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

dazoner posted:

How does anyone use the avenger. That gun is terrible. It takes forever to kill anything. I am struggling though this 140,000 point challenge with it.

Bronze and aim for the head. Powers that give free reloads like Marksman/Adrenaline Rush might help this.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Rick posted:

Bronze and aim for the head. Powers that give free reloads like Marksman/Adrenaline Rush might help this.

And a rail amp III / AR gear, because that thing needs all the help it can get.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
No, replacing the product key doesn't take away anything. No reinstallation, you keep all your unlocks and DLC. It just takes like twenty seconds.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Eagle III in my commendation pack :smith:

But then I bought a couple SPs and got my Kishock maxed out. :getin:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Finally maxed out every non-Ultra Rare/Promo gun. :unsmith:

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Enter Char posted:

It actually took me a while to like him, I kept trying to play him like a vanguard, which is a really bad idea. Running him today just as a mobile debuff, then shoot and slam dunk machine made me realize how good him and the saber are.

You can still treat him as a vanguard, he has the added ability of being able to dodge-step immediately after a Havok Strike. I've found that it works great against most sync-kill mobs except the banshee, or when the group is too big.

He's also amazing with the Scorpion since you can fire a round between Havok and Dodging. Generally you'll be able to chain-stagger a mob using this method unless its a boss.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Silver Alicorn posted:

The Valiant is a really good sniper rifle for when you actually want to have your powers cool down. It's my go-to sniper (because I still don't have a Black Widow :argh:) and it's actually pretty good on kits like turian Sentinel or geth Engineer.

I use it on my Asari Huntress for this reason. Lightweight enough so that I can still be throwing Dark Channel and Warp around, but still deadly enough to take out most enemies.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Hurricane II :getin:

Loving the black widow on my salarian infil to.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
Hurricane VII. :pcgaming:

If I could draw, I would draw a picture of my Turian Ghost Infiltrator hugging his custom-made Saber with high velocity barrel and thermal scope. Whatever puts drill rounds into it is sitting next to him as well.

Shoot. Through. Everything.

gently caress YOU COLLECTORS YOU CAN'T ONE SHOT ME THROUGH WALLS!

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
Crusader VI on my commendation. Give it a heavy barrel and extended clip and you're set. I've popped many heads with it and Guardians die so quick it's ceased being funny.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

What exactly makes the Saber better on a Ghost compared to, say, the N7 Valiant? Is the bigger clip really that good?

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Silver Alicorn posted:

What exactly makes the Saber better on a Ghost compared to, say, the N7 Valiant? Is the bigger clip really that good?

Ghost gets bonus for assault rifles, not sniper rifles.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I think your status is connected to your username so that stuff should all be there. If that was the case I would probably take it as my cue to stop playing Mass Effect 3. Hopefully the call me option will do the trick. How does this even happen?

Click on your case, then on 'Contact.' Should be an option to have them call you - if it's during the day, which does not help me much. I don't know if they do this on the weekend so I may have to wait 'til Monday.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I was about 60% of the way through the challenge today and decided to bust out the Cerberus harrier today on bronze. Not even fair, should not be allowed to be used on that mode.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Crusader IV. All my N7 weapons are perfectly mediocre in rank.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Hurricane II. :woop:

...I actually kinda would have preferred another Crusader upgrade. :(

Boggus
Mar 26, 2007

A yellow jumpsuit makes all the difference.
Awwwwww hell yeah! :getin:

I actually love having it on my Kroguard.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Boggus posted:

Awwwwww hell yeah! :getin:

I actually love having it on my Kroguard.

The face your avatar is making is perfect for this. "I'm dressed in a yellow condom and even I wouldn't touch that!"

Kidding aside, it is a decent sidearm after all the buffs, though.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
1 weapon away from all uncommon weapons done.

That said, with the weapons done, should I keep buying veteran packs to max out the uncommon gear?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I would say no, only a handful of the uncommon gear (Adaptive War Amp) are actually useful. Most of the good stuff is Rare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
Yeah, the only reason to go after silver gear is when you've got everything else maxed out.

Like me. :smith: 62/75 silver gears down...

• Locked thread