Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

THANKS FOR MAKING ME SPEND MONEY, T

Seedge posted:

It also seems like Volus support powers such as Shield Boost should earn the Volus player some points to encourage teamwork...

I was just thinking this today too. Like, only give a small number of points based on how much of your allies' shields you recover with each use to prevent abuse, maybe even with a bronze, silver, and gold Support medal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Doc Dee posted:

Am I the only one that's disappointed that the Blue Suns pattern isn't available for Batarians?

Burning Mustache posted:

Well that just supports my point, see how being an "engineer" turned out for that guy :colbert:

On the plus side, if they do make such a class, I'm absolutely gonna name him Cathka.
Also Blue Suns color scheme.

Nope.

Also I really wish there was an Eclipse pattern. I went yellow and black/white trying to mimick it on my SalEng, but after seeing a lot of people in black and yellow I noticed in the single player that the Salarian SPECTRE wears those colors and am grumpy that those stupid pubbies probably think I'm a wannabe like them instead.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Indra III and a Talon 2.

In the same arsenal pack, fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkk yea.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Why is everyone an Asari with a Krysae today? :psyduck:

Is this some new thing since I last played?

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

Felinoid posted:

Also I really wish there was an Eclipse pattern. I went yellow and black/white trying to mimick it on my SalEng, but after seeing a lot of people in black and yellow I noticed in the single player that the Salarian SPECTRE wears those colors and am grumpy that those stupid pubbies probably think I'm a wannabe like them instead.

I did this with my SalEng and Valkyrie too. You should be fine on the "comparisons to Jondum Bau" front too, pretty sure he wears black armor with yellow stripes. Then again, the Eclipse members you see in 3 wear black armor, so idk

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone got a good drellguard build? Wanna take him for a spin but I'm undecided between melee or shield on fitness.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Skip pull. Equip grenade gear, incendiary/disruptor ammo, charge and kill things ridiculously fast. Talon, Wraith or Claymore are good weapon choices for him.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

UnknownMercenary posted:

Skip pull. Equip grenade gear, incendiary/disruptor ammo, charge and kill things ridiculously fast. Talon, Wraith or Claymore are good weapon choices for him.

Does the weapon level for the guns you're suggesting?

http://social.bioware.com/n7hq/home/inventory/?name=AchyHippo&platform=pc

Here's my manifest just in case.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

UnknownMercenary posted:

You don't need to see the heads to start shooting them so long as your gun can pierce cover, either through weapon mods or having AP ammo equipped. When you do enough damage the Praetorian will stagger backwards and fall onto its back for a few seconds.

I've also found the doors covering the heads will break after a bit of continued damage meaning you no longer need piercing weapons to hit them. Also, Hurricane VI :toot:

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Alteisen posted:

Does the weapon level for the guns you're suggesting?

http://social.bioware.com/n7hq/home/inventory/?name=AchyHippo&platform=pc

Here's my manifest just in case.

Your Talon will work fine, as will the Raider if you can handle being close. I don't know how a low level Wraith is now; I had mine at low levels before the buffs and it wasn't too great. I wouldn't use the Claymore on the Drellguard until higher levels; at rank IV it's going to murder your cooldowns too much.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Shadow is probably one of my favorite classes to play but it also can be the most frustrating since there's a high potential for the unknown to screw you. I almost half consider bringing a mantis with a thermal scope or something to see through walls even though I'll never shoot it.

subroc
Jun 5, 2004

Alteisen posted:

Anyone got a good drellguard build? Wanna take him for a spin but I'm undecided between melee or shield on fitness.
Although the Drell has one of the better heavy melee's in the game, I'd say you always choose shields on him because of the extra 10% movement speed. I also don't advocate skipping Pull but that's more of a personal preference. I find Pull -> Charge very useful. I'd say to give Pull a shot (edit: by give it a shot, I mean put 3 points into it. Go 6/3/6/5/6) and if you find yourself not using it all that often, burn a respec card (or promote) and spec out of it.

subroc fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Feb 11, 2013

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Rick posted:

Shadow is probably one of my favorite classes to play but it also can be the most frustrating since there's a high potential for the unknown to screw you. I almost half consider bringing a mantis with a thermal scope or something to see through walls even though I'll never shoot it.

Good idea, wrong direction. An Avenger with the new-ish AR Thermal Scope and an Omni-Blade gives you wallhack sight AND a melee bonus, for a fairly piddly cooldown hit (plus the 50 you'll take for the scope itself, if they ever fix that). A GPR, Vindicator, Phaeston, or Mattock could also do if you think you might actually fire it now and then. And if you were set on snipers, a Viper or Raptor would be much better for your cooldowns than a Mantis as well.

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

I saw ME3's 20bux on Origin now, and I thought, "Huh, maybe I'll get that just for MP, join the GLORIOUS PC GAMING MASTER RACE."

Turns out my graphics card ruins ALL games on my laptop. :negative:

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

UnknownMercenary posted:

Your Talon will work fine, as will the Raider if you can handle being close. I don't know how a low level Wraith is now; I had mine at low levels before the buffs and it wasn't too great. I wouldn't use the Claymore on the Drellguard until higher levels; at rank IV it's going to murder your cooldowns too much.

I use a Wraith II on my Batarian Soldier, obviously not the same as a Drellguard but it is lighter and hits harder than a Piranha IV.

Mr.Flibble
Jul 23, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

Is there somewhere with updated recommended builds? Seems like the ones linked to in the OP are outdated and I don't want to have to ask for advice every time I unlock a new character. I don't know how current the weapons google doc is but at least it provides a good starting point since I would think weapons don't change that much.

Also the forced point at level one when you unlock a character sucks and I want it to go away.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/343/index/14641831

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
So...is the Volus Adept supposed to be comically underpowered? My biotic orbs were doing pitiful damage on Silver. Like, it took all 3 just to kill a standard Cerberus enemy.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Red Crown posted:

So...is the Volus Adept supposed to be comically underpowered? My biotic orbs were doing pitiful damage on Silver. Like, it took all 3 just to kill a standard Cerberus enemy.

Biotic Orbs are mainly used for cooldown speed and setting off explosions. You can self-detonate with Stasis->Orb, but your primary purpose is as a support character. Keep people's shields up, detonate someone else's stuff, and Stasis anything that looks dangerous so your teammates can deal with it at their own pace.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Felinoid posted:

Biotic Orbs are mainly used for cooldown speed and setting off explosions. You can self-detonate with Stasis->Orb, but your primary purpose is as a support character. Keep people's shields up, detonate someone else's stuff, and Stasis anything that looks dangerous so your teammates can deal with it at their own pace.

...Wait, so the Orbs actually reduce the amount of time it takes for powers to recharge? I misread it, I thought that each orb made the cooldown longer. This changes things.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Felinoid posted:

Good idea, wrong direction. An Avenger with the new-ish AR Thermal Scope and an Omni-Blade gives you wallhack sight AND a melee bonus, for a fairly piddly cooldown hit (plus the 50 you'll take for the scope itself, if they ever fix that). A GPR, Vindicator, Phaeston, or Mattock could also do if you think you might actually fire it now and then. And if you were set on snipers, a Viper or Raptor would be much better for your cooldowns than a Mantis as well.

Ah man I didn't even know an AR thermal scope existed. I guess I need to start buying SPs again.

Hmm and yeah I didn't even think of the raptor, that's actually not a bad gun to begin with (I don't think the Mantis is a bad gun either it's not super compatible with the shadow play style)

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

My brother in law started playing MP Friday, and in 2 Reserves packs opened 2 Volus Engineers and a Volus Adept. One pack had both. According to the Manifest, these are ultra-rare (In fact, the only UR characters.)

He has the best, worst luck.
I still don't buy that these bastards are truly "ultra-rare." I have both of them maxed and I never want to see them again.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Red Crown posted:

...Wait, so the Orbs actually reduce the amount of time it takes for powers to recharge? I misread it, I thought that each orb made the cooldown longer. This changes things.

Yeah, though they add to your Recharge Speed the same way gear does, that is to say additively. If you're at +200%, popping up to 230 (or 260 if you go for both recharge options) isn't going to be a large jump. The more important aspect to them is that only bringing them out costs you a cooldown, so they can be spent whenever needed to help with explosions; the recharge speed is just a nice added bonus.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

For a long time the game seemed dead-set on giving me an Eagle X. Now it seems to be trying to balance everything out, including my Valiant VI today.

If I get a Valkyrie nest week I'll be able to count from IV to VIII with my promo guns.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

Divine Disclaimer posted:

How do I human vanguard?

E: I found the OP!

1) Host.
2) No, seriously, host.
3) Reegar (or Piranha or w/e) + Incendiary Ammo.
4) Group with people who have spammable primers.
5) Charge, shoot, Nova, shoot (or Nova again), charge, etc.

CAPSLOCKGIRL
Jul 21, 2011

I actually just hold down the Shift key.
Holy crap, I just unlocked Gethgineer with a Reserves Pack, and holy crap, they will rock stuff if you give them a Stabilized Argus. I also maxed out the Damage tree of the turret, I am just a firepower machine in Hunter Mode.

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

I would crawl ass-naked over a sea of broken glass just to kiss a dick

UnknownMercenary posted:

I do this with a Talon and I am an untouchable murder-ninja. But stay the gently caress away from turrets if you're playing against Cerberus, they are your worst enemy.

I go with Weapon Synergy for Biotic Charge though, just so you get that extra power when you charge poo poo and then shoot it in the face.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

CAPSLOCKGIRL posted:

Holy crap, I just unlocked Gethgineer with a Reserves Pack, and holy crap, they will rock stuff if you give them a Stabilized Argus. I also maxed out the Damage tree of the turret, I am just a firepower machine in Hunter Mode.

If you want survivability and crowd control, spec completely out of hunter mode, max restore/flamethrower on the turret and chain/shock/shield damage on overload. Throw on a hurricane or GPR with incendiary ammo and you can lock down spawns by yourself on gold. Geth Engineer is my absolute favourite class.

CAPSLOCKGIRL
Jul 21, 2011

I actually just hold down the Shift key.

Der Luftwaffle posted:

If you want survivability and crowd control, spec completely out of hunter mode, max restore/flamethrower on the turret and chain/shock/shield damage on overload. Throw on a hurricane or GPR with incendiary ammo and you can lock down spawns by yourself on gold. Geth Engineer is my absolute favourite class.

Sorry, Hunter Mode is too fun.

Also, the Javelin is a Geth Weapon, right?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Well it's good to know there's one person in the world for whom Hunter Mode isn't more commonly referred to as My loving Eyes Seriously What The gently caress Mode.

Though even if it didn't look like rear end, I still wouldn't recommend it on the Engineer. But I guess if you want to go super-glass-cannon with it, go nuts.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

UnknownMercenary posted:

You don't need to see the heads to start shooting them so long as your gun can pierce cover, either through weapon mods or having AP ammo equipped. When you do enough damage the Praetorian will stagger backwards and fall onto its back for a few seconds.

Legend. Thanks man.

zerokunami posted:

If you make a Geth infiltrator and spec everything for weapon damage and use the high velocity barrel, and the armor piercing mod you can do what is supposedly the highest single shot damage in the game to boss monsters since the Geth has that additional bonus to Geth weaponry. It's also nice because with hunter mode and farsight scope built in, you can see through Cerberus smoke and/or walls. Just make sure you know where the ammo crates are and bring a SMG or something for mooks since your javelin shots are priceless commodities of infinite pain to the bigger mobs.

So the best thing I can do with my new Javelin is bring a different gun. Thought as much.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Fifty Three posted:

I still don't buy that these bastards are truly "ultra-rare." I have both of them maxed and I never want to see them again.

They are not, apparently they are Ultra Rare by definition but have a higher chance of popping up in the RNG.
I don't know the original source but it was apparently confirmed by Bioware according to some BSN thread...but then again BSN :rolleyes:.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

It was confirmed by a developer. The store rolls for card type first, then picks the rarity. Characters drop more often than other things, so if you didn't roll a weapon card you weren't going to get an ultra-rare anyway, either another character card or a level 4 equipment item.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

precision posted:

Well it's good to know there's one person in the world for whom Hunter Mode isn't more commonly referred to as My loving Eyes Seriously What The gently caress Mode.

Though even if it didn't look like rear end, I still wouldn't recommend it on the Engineer. But I guess if you want to go super-glass-cannon with it, go nuts.

Rage is hard on my eyes. Hunter Mode is chump change after you activate Rage on Hazard White. I literally could not look at the landing pad. It felt like I was staring at the sun.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think Arsenal Packs have forgotten how to give me ultra rares. The last 25 or so have only dropped consumables.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

exquisite tea posted:

I think Arsenal Packs have forgotten how to give me ultra rares. The last 25 or so have only dropped consumables.

I switched to regular SPs and instantly got an Ultra Rare (Particle Rifle II, wooooo). Do Arsenal Packs have a decent drop rate for Gear? I would assume that's included in "weapons" but :bioware:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Gear is a separate drop category, I believe. I'm pretty sure Arsenal is quite literal when it says Weapons it means weapon category only.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.

Psion posted:

Gear is a separate drop category, I believe. I'm pretty sure Arsenal is quite literal when it says Weapons it means weapon category only.

No, Gear is still more likely than ultra-rare weapons in the Arsenal packs. I've frequently gotten a gear item and a character in them since I have all of my gold weapons maxed.

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.
I want a Krogan with:
Devastator mode
Hunter mode
Bloodlust
Rage

Fire base white hazard.

:getin:

highmodulus
Feb 16, 2011

Let's go crazy Broadway style!

tiberion02 posted:

I want a Krogan with:
Devastator mode
Hunter mode
Bloodlust
Rage

Fire base white hazard.

:getin:

You could just turn your monitor off. . .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I want a volus with Devastator mode.

Don't even change the voice clips, just have this tiny volus sounding like the regular destroyer.

• Locked thread