Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moola
Aug 16, 2006
The Falcon was made for the Turian Soldier. Take incendiary ammo, fire into large crowds of enemies to apply fire to them all, then use Concussive Shot to detonate into a fire explosion.

Using this setup you can be potentially staggering, knocking down and causing fire explosions every few seconds, constantly.

The only downside is the Turian Soldier's lack of mobility, which kills you pretty fast now after the shield gate nerf (bug?).

But hey apparently that's getting buffed so! :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Just played my first match with the Vorcha Soldier since the patch that changed tech combos.

That uh, that sure was a lot of fire explosions. :stare:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

zxqv8 posted:

Collectors are still just too overwhelming in general. I managed to clear Collectors with a few goons and others on Platinum, and now that I've proven I can, I feel no need to do so ever again.

I like a challenge, really I do. But they just suck the fun out of the experience and replace it with incredulous frustration in every wave.

I know, I know, :qq: It's really just not a fun faction to play, in my estimation.

Nah I don't think it's :qq: at all. I've only beat them on Gold and I have no compulsion to try Platinum after that.

Getting wiped by any other faction usually feels like it was your fault. You failed to see a couple Phantoms flank your lines or you didn't notice those Ravagers setting up a perfect sniping nest while you were busy with a Brute (Reaper combined arms tactics are way more fun to fight against).

But when I wipe on Collectors, it's always because I'm trying to dodge three insta-gib lasers that go through walls, while 100 grenades get tossed at my feet and I'm stuck in one place by tweleve million explosive husks and a wall of alien goo poo poo!

I don't like Collectors. :argh:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

VJeff posted:

I don't really think it counts as your fault if you wiped because 3/4 of your team got stuck by Phantoms, grabbed by Banshees or got bought free tickets to StaggerFest 2012: Featuring The Rockin' Geth Primes And Their Sunday Steppers.

New thread title spotted.

I just want to see less Praetorians and Scions per wave on Collectors gold. Two Praetorians in your grill and three Scions behind them is a really common sight, and really, really tough to deal with.

Maybe I'm just terrible because I play with pubbies all the time, but seriously, what do you do against that? Just reposition? Missiles? There's a limited supply of both. :confused:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
A sniper mod that replaced the zoom-in with normal iron-sights zoom would be pretty cool. Although probably a little overpowered.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Just unlocked the Krogan Shaman. Seriously the most :effort: class they've designed.

I guess he's a human biotic, but a bit more durable? Having a hard time thinking of any fun builds for this dude.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Silver Alicorn posted:

What's wrong with you people saying the Havoc is useless. :cmon:

Stimulant Pack is by and far the best power I've seen. It makes the Havoc like the tech version of a Vanguard. As a bonus it charges your shields when it would be too dangerous to Charge in on a Vanguard. Take the grenade capacity bonus and you're golden.

I love the Havoc. Paint my armour red and gold, equip an Arc Pistol, and run around pretending I'm space Iron Turian Man! :hellyeah:

Though I think people's problem with the Havoc, is that he is not the Ghost. Ghost is simply the most effective gun class in the game right now. Nothing I've seen matches the sheer fire-power a Ghost can put out with a Harrier, cloak and stim buffs, aiming for the head.

So the removal of the invulnerability window you used to get after losing shields, was that intentional or is it a bug? Can't find any information on it.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
For gently caress sake, Eagle III. :smith:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Really hoping the Drell Infiltrator gets something more interesting than Cloak, plus some of the powers we've already seen; though I won't be surprised if that ends up being it.

I find it really odd that some of these new classes have a lot of thought and effort put into them, where as others are only slight rehashes on existing classes.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Dr. Abysmal posted:

One of the devs said they've brought up Slam a few times but have ultimately decided against using it because it doesn't really have an effect on armored targets so it would be situational/usually skipped like Pull is. I still would have liked to see it because it's more interesting to me than "give all of the biotics warp."

That's silly, cause I'm pretty sure using Slam on a primed target causes an explosion, even if they're shielded or armoured; at least it did last time I played in single player.

If this is the last batch of characters, then it was a really weird decision to end on these copy paste jobs after the awesome work they did on the N7 characters.

Moola fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Nov 5, 2012

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

The Slithery D posted:

Yeah, but it happens at the top of the slam movement, which is of minimal use for AOE damage.

I remember it detonating a shielded or armoured target, without lifting them though; like it causes the same stagger effect pull or throw does, then detonates regardless of lifting.

May be totally misremembering this...

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The first ones from this DLC were new though, especially the Volus.

I don't mind, there are already so many characters to choose from. I'd really like to see new maps or new game modes. Even just extending Hazards to the other maps would be a start.

I would really like to see them try making something like Left 4 Dead, or the new Syndicate FPS coop maps. Long gauntlet levels, with some sort of primary objective rather than just waves.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Their shield gate nerf can gently caress right off.

I don't find it much fun playing a low health/shield class and potentially getting insta-gibbed the moment you break cover.

Pretty much only play classes with some form of shield regeneration ability now.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
That's some pretty neat fanart. No way it's bioware though; where's the huge pair of boobs and pink lipstick?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Yeah I'm noticing that too. My Valkyrie is constantly having her health dropped to one bar out of nowhere (from full shields and health) when fighting collectors.

Also because I want to rant; getting downed and then being literally unable to get up at all because your body is covered with grenades is not fun. What I'm trying to say is, they need to straight up remove Scions. :colbert:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I don't even get what's going on in this game any more. I'm playing on my Justicar, out of cover, inside my bubble with the Reave DR effect on, full shields and health; two Dragoons come round the corner, and as soon as they both fire I go down instantly. I'm talking less than a second of firing and I'm down.

What?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I miss the ME2 Tempest, you could hold down the fire button for what seemed like forever, and the loving thing slowly started to sound like it was going to explode during the end of the mag.

Indomitably wading into combat as a sentinel with a Tempest in ME2, was so badass. :allears:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
So I just found out tank spec'd Volus Adept is a thing. :stare:

Ignore Stasis, take every evo that increases shield strength and power cooldown; become literally indestructible! (apart from sync kills.)

Like, with Shield Boost and heavy melee active, I can stand in front of three Ravagers shooting at me on Platinum and my shields don't even drop below 50%.

You will finish every game dead last in score, but if you like playing a dedicated support role, then it's a lot of fun!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
With that build, I always make sure I activate Shield Boost before I hold heavy melee; the DR effects from both appear to stack. You can activate shield boost before the DR effect wears off, with four biotic orbs spec'd for recharge speed. This means you can potentially have infinite 50% DR up on yourself and anyone near you.

Also you want to activate melee at about mid range to the enemy; close enough so that you are the preferred target, but not so close as to get melee staggered.

Try to keep a mental note of how long you've been holding the melee. If you think it's near 5-6 seconds, then release and Shield Boost.

Remember that the heavy animation will continue for about a second after you have stopped holding it; so only ever use heavy when you're on or near full shields, or you may not be able to cancel the animation before you become vulnerable.

Also remember that heavy melee staggers most enemies when activated close to them. (including bosses like Primes and Atlases) I've not tried activating it near sync kill spamming enemies; this is probably not a good idea.

Finally, watch out for staggers. Staggering attacks will break your heavy melee and you may not be able to shield boost before the DR effect wears off. If you see a stagger comming, then you can potentially time it right so you 'eat' the stagger, Shield Boost, then go back into heavy melee without losing your shield.
:goonsay:

Moola fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Nov 8, 2012

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Xenin posted:

One quick tip: while holding the heavy melee button, you can quickly release and then tap it once to cancel the stance on demand, even in the middle of a pulse. Also great for getting off one quick pulse in order to get your shield gate back when boost is on cooldown, without having to commit to several seconds of standing around.

So you're saying I can instantly drop the shield, Shield Boost, then reactivate? :getin:

Also forget to mention, the light melee cloak (which is on an asburdly short cooldown, like maybe 2 seconds?) allows you to be an extremely effective revival ambulance. Cloak, revive, Shield Boost, get infront of your reviving ally and heavy melee while they get their bearings.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I like to pretend that roar noise is coming from the Vorcha.

Why does the Geth Trooper also make that noise? I don't know, maybe he heard the Vorcha doing it. :shrug:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
ohhh, Energy Drain only detonates shielded and synthetic targets! That explains a lot of confusion I've been having with the Paladin.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
That was beautiful. Now I have to go play my Batarian Brawler cause of that video.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

zxqv8 posted:

It would be great and much better balance if they were to slow down drastically while immune to any and all powers for ~5 seconds.

Yeah, it's pretty hilarious that they seem to move faster when they much harder to kill.

Imagine if Phantoms started zooming toward you, immune to powers, every time you made them activate their bubble.

Someone needs to make a 'That's Bioware!' emote.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Volvagia posted:

I don't know how anyone ever gets a decent gun up to level X, I've been playing on and off since release and my best gun is a Reegar Carbine III. I see people with cool titles and Harrier X's and I'm alternately jealous/glad I don't have that much time/real money to waste.

The secret reason why lots of people have tons of weapon X gear, is because when FBWGG was farm-able, you could easily make millions of credits in a very short amount of time. It got to a point where new DLC would come out, I would spend a couple of hours farming and literally have enough credits to get most, if not all of the new content in one splurge.

Conversely, I maybe have one of the new weapons up to V and only some of the new classes since they stopped FBWGG.

Moola fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 13, 2012

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Elotana posted:

If only it was possible to finish a non-farming Gold game :qq:

I'm just saying that's why I, and probably a lot of other people, have an absurd number of max level weapons and rare classes. FBWGG was really good at maxing out all your poo poo, fast.

I'm not complaining they nerfed farming, I'm actually enjoying the game a lot more now.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

GulMadred posted:

Farming never dies. Reaper/Rio/Platinum is the new hotness, and I hate it. I want to play a punishingly-difficult game where each mistake carries a significant risk of wiping the team. I don't want to sit in a box for a half-hour while Banshees flail at me ineffectually because they can't get close enough for a sync kill.

Yeah, I agree; the only thing I really miss, was watching Banshees hopelessly try to scale the tiny little walls on FBWGP.

drat you tiny wall! Hop, hop, hop, screech! :argh:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Incinerate and Submission Net is correct. Lame, just release the loving Drell Infiltrator already! :argh:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

LogicNinja posted:

I'm excited about the Asari infiltrator. Her Dark Channel will loving melt everything.

Yeah actually that's probably the class I want the most; I love the idea of a sneaky assassin biotic. If only they had chosen Cloak, Reave and Cluster Grenades for the Drell. :smith:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

Still a chance for a Drell infiltrator!

No I mean the DI is gonna have Proximity Mine and Homing Grenade; I would have preferred Reave and Cluster Grenades, but I guess that would have made the Adept completely obsolete.

Just solo'd bronze with the Vorcha Engineer; really dull. It's basically an ever so slightly different version of the batarian Sentinel. :effort:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Just unlocked the Crusader I. Holy hell, this gun does not get enough love!

Foolin around with it in a pubbie gold match; I break cover and shoot a nearby Guardian, it goes through his shield, through his head, through the Guardian and the Assault Trooper's heads behind him and finally finishes off the Nemesis behind all of them. One shot, four kills, and this is only level one.

This gun... it shoots through schools. :stare:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

Geth do have a lot of bullshit, but I think a lot of those are lag related issues.

My favourite Geth bullshit, is taking a double tap rocket shot for all my shields, which staggers me, getting melee'd by the Rocket Trooper before I can react, getting staggered again, then taking a final rocket to death; all without being able to react. :thumbsup:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Kaizer88 posted:

Abit of a slowpoke.jpg here, but I just saw the batarian light melee animations while wielding a pistol. drat, thats awesome! SHORYUKEN

Have you got the Batarian Brawler yet? If you spec him for melee (what else are you gonna spec?) then you get to see a whole lot of shoryukens! :black101:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Mr Dog posted:

Because you can charge into almost an entire Gold spawn and win. Continuous Charging and Light Melee is very difficult for enemies to counter unless they focus-fire you and hard-stagger you at the same time, and tanking lots of enemies gives the rest of your squad easy access to flank and kill them, while still doing decent DPS yourself.

If the Slayer isn't the focus of the enemy's attention then he can run around rapidly killing one trash mob and stunlocking two others with Phase Disruptor. None of this requires a gun in order to be effective.

I suppose the gun situation isn't as clear-cut as I made it out to be, though.

Cheers, I had no idea the Slayer could do this; just solo'd silver with him and yeah he is really tough to take down, but by no means invincible, and I don't think he's even the best at charging and tanking.

I can pretty much play the exact same way as the Krogaurd, and he does even more damage while being harder to kill. :black101:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Yeah it's really loving embarrassing when Charge doesn't work; you'll be in the open surrounded by enemies, secure in the knowledge that Charge will save you, but nope! You hammer away at the button and go down like a sack of potatoes instead. :sweatdrop:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
You know what's worse than all the Geth stagger? The fact that your staggers sometimes don't work on them for no reason.

Playing on bronze on my TGI, I melee a Trooper about to melee me; nope! He ignores it and staggers me instead. It is not fun.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I'm glad everyone else isn't fond of the QMS, I thought I'd spec'd him wrong or something but nah, nothing really gels properly.

Marksman and Tactical Scan are theoretically a good combo, but once you've got Marksman up you can't scan again until it ends, so using it on mooks isn't really a good idea. Sabotage has such a huge cooldown and I can't really see any reason why I would want to use it, he doesn't even have a single tech attack that benefits from the 6th evo.

I guess you could play him as a (bad) boss killer, who sits around with his thumb up his rear end when bosses aren't around. :confused:

I'm really struggling to understand why they started this DLC with three awesome new classes, with brand new abilties, art assets and play styles; then they decide to string out weeks of terrible :effort: classes after that.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

My own wish would be more for an L4D-style procedural multiplayer where there's the same basic overall structure to a mission but many divergent paths and random events along the way. You could even take a "greatest hits" summary of the best missions from the first three games and rework them into a co-op setting. Imagine doing the Citadel climb culminating in the battle with Saren with 3 friends. I hope ME4 is just entirely MP so people can stop talking about the story and get on with their lives.

This and a collector base suicide run co-op mission would be the best thing ever.

Man, if you had told me a year ago that the only thing I would end up enjoying long term in mass effect 3, was the multiplayer component, I would have called you a crazy lunatic. But if Bioware came out tomorrow and said they're putting off all single player development for the foreseeable future, in order to concentrate on mass effect multiplayer titles, I would be loving ecstatic.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Piedmon Sama posted:

The Pubbie's Lament: Today I decide to finally use some of my precious, long-hoarded one-use mods. Thinking I'll do just one round today and might as well make it good, I take explosive rounds, assault rifle amp, and shield regeneration. Loaded right into Round 10 of a match in progress :negative:

You know if you leave a game quickly after joining (I think within 10 minutes), none of your consumables get consumed, right?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I'm having a hard time dying as the Volus Vanguard. By that I mean, nothing seems to be able to kill me. :stare:

Charge > heavy melee shield, renders you nearly invincible. I've only died to sync kills and lag so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Extra Smooth Balls posted:

Wow, decided to try out the batarian brawler + reegar on gold and oh my god he's almost invincible.
Pretty much my only deaths were instakills, and poo poo just melted.

I think I have a new favourite class. :swoon:

Yeah this guy is pretty great, he's my go to gold solo class at the moment.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but it seems like if you charge then heavy melee directly after, you are completely immune to damage until the punch ends. Can anyone confirm this?

• Locked thread