Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

AngryBooch posted:

Yeah but Olympics bro, it has to tie in. London. Gold. Olympus.

Thank god there are no Platinum medals in the Olympics :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Dr. Abysmal posted:

It's any difficulty so you could do it on Platinum if you really wanted to I guess.

I meant the Community Goal (which is apparently just B, S or G), but considering the Community Packs are pretty worthless for the most part it's a bit of a moot point I guess :v:

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Cheap Vodka posted:

Allied Goal: Don't write mean things about our villains on the internet. We try dammit! :saddowns:

If there ever was an operation that was doomed to fail before it even started ...

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Cheap Vodka posted:

B-but if you win your victory pack has an authentic Mac Walters hat cosmetic item* for all your characters.

* Item is permanent and cannot be removed.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

SciFiDownBeat posted:

...but, how is this possibru?

Did he use some sort of animator program and design the models from scratch or did he somehow use the game or something?

The background textures (and specifically the doors) make this look like it's been done in Gmod. I've also seen animations with Mass Effect models done in Gmod before so there's probably a set of those out there somewhere.
The game runs on Unreal Engine 3 so it's probably not terribly difficult to extract the models from the original game files and go from there.

EDIT: To clarify, Gmod is a very popular mod for Half-Life 2 that lets you pose and animate characters quite easily in easy to build (or pre-built) environments based on HL2 assets. If you can manage to get your hands on the model files of any given game (and convert them to a HL2 compatible format) you can do pretty much anything you like with them.

Burning Mustache fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 10, 2012

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
EDIT: /\/\/\ Oh holy poo poo this owns

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Oh right, duh. I forgot about Gmod. I didn't realize that it was that versatile though. So you could probably use Gmod with any UE3 model?

If you can convert them to HL2 models (assign the skeleton / bone system properly, etc), sure! I have no idea how easy or complicated it is though, I've never really played around with Gmod much myself, let alone UE3 models or game files.
It might be trivially easy with the proper extractor tools and plugins for your various 3d modelling programs like 3ds Max / Maya / Poser though.

Burning Mustache fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Aug 10, 2012

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Does anyone know about a problem with actually connecting to anyone in game? If I make my own game, nobody ever connects. If I quick match, it's set to endlessly searching. It was working perfectly fine when I played the game last, which was way back in the geth/batarian dlc era. I've re-installed Origin, ME3, reset my router and all that nonsense, but nothing works.

Have you downloaded all the DLC that got released since (the most recent being the Earth DLC)?

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

duffath posted:

Hello new ME3 MP thread!

I haven't played in ages so I've missed out an explanation on the new gear slot. Are they one-time expendables or equippable permanent lasting perks? I haven't used any yet because I didn't want to waste the good ones.

Gear items are permanent, so there's absolutely no reason to leave the Gear slot empty at any time.

duffath posted:

Oh that reminds me...Is gold much easier to do now? I never used to enjoy it because it was FBW/Geth and camping in some little corner. I'd like to think my classes are decently optimised, but probably not because I'm not using an infiltrator specced for headshot and sniper damage? I'm curious about how doable gold is these days with a bunch of level 20s?

Not per se, but some of the classes and guns that have been introduced in the recent DLCs are just plain powerful and you might have an easier time with them on Gold than with certain other classes, but a really terrible pubbie team can and will still find ways to gently caress up anything that's not FBW/G/G farming (and even that, sometimes).
In general Gold is still completely viable even with launch classes, and if you have a terrible team it's still easy to lose even with 4 N7 Destroyers or what have you, so it still depends on your team more than anything.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
Man, what the gently caress.
Clicking on Multiplayer in the main menu and exiting a lobby will make the game load for like a full two and a half minutes now.
Wanted to get some Plat farming on but I'm sure as hell not gonna do that if I have to leave lobbies with players using lovely classes / loadouts and spend 15 minutes over the course of a session just staring at loading screens for that.

At least I got the full extraction on London for the weekend. What a lovely, lovely map indeed.

Burning Mustache fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 11, 2012

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Jet Jaguar posted:

London is my least-favorite map, based on one of my least-favorite segments of the game.

I fully agree.

But I will also admit that I never did mind the planet scanning and even thought that it was a pretty neat idea in principle :unsmith:

exquisite tea posted:

Was there supposed to be a splash screen for this weekend's objective? I did a full clear of London early this morning but I don't know if it fell within the timeframe and I'd like to avoid doing London as much as possible.

There definitely is a splash screen, and I actually suspect that it might be the reason for the long rear end loading times because it shows up for me every time I exit a lobby, whereas the previous splash screens only showed up once.

Also, if you've played a game this morning you should be good as the operation started at some point yesterday.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Schubalts posted:

I just got a Shadow and I have no idea what weapon to use. I was thinking SMGs or shotguns and a pistol.

You'll want to keep your cooldown bonus as close to 200% as possible with the Shadow, so I'd suggest picking just one of them. Also, a melee damage attachment really helps a lot for that class because it boosts your Shadow Strike damage, so you should probably look into either a shotgun or a pistol.
The Piranha is ok if you have it. I've found that I'm achieving the best results with a Talon with melee stunner and scope.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
Hey, it's practically a free Eagle :shepface:

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Felinoid posted:

Maybe they'll consider the London map overrun and remove it from the game? :haw:

Also from the singleplayer campaign.
And then they will re-do the entire end-game section. And get it right, this time around.

:allears:

:negative:

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Felinoid posted:

With a (short) Mako turret section! And then you control Cortez in a borrowed Trident for a dogfight overhead! And then Shepard hops inside Harbinger and you tear his guts out with your bare (well, armored) hands after battling through all the enemies he hasn't dropped off yet! And you exit via a water slide while Wrex sings a krogan epic about blood! :allears:

Nope, sorry. We can't have nice things. :(

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Felinoid posted:

Not even the water slide? But...everyone loves water slides. :(

Especially not water slides, as per Mac Walters' direct order.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Huh. I glossed over that. Might be the buggy weekend (the new Origin remains terrible) driving people away but if it's not, that's not good news.

Well, honestly, playing the same exact game mode with the same exact enemies since launch gets kind of stale after a while.
The constant stream of new classes, maps and weapons are awesome and keep it somewhat interesting, but they can mask the fact that you've been doing the same exact stuff since March only for so long.

The game desperately needs a new game type and new enemies.

I'm at a point where I've unlocked all but one character, all but three ultra rare guns (not counting promotional stuff like the BF3 soldier or the Collector Rifle) and my motivation to play has dropped significantly since I've unlocked most of the stuff from the Earth DLC. Heck, I'm not even looking forward to buying new packs anymore because I know that I'll just get crap anyway at this point.
I still play the odd game or two here and there every couple of days because the gameplay itself is still solid and fun, but I just can't get arsed to play this for an entire evening or an entire weekend like back when the game was just released anymore.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Is there any ingame text chat or scoreboard?

Well, you can hit Esc at any point to bring up a scoreboard and see how many players are left and how many points they have, but unfortunately there is absolutely no way measure ping to the host (the game doesn't use servers to host games by the way, it's strictly peer to peer and the lobby leader is always the host) at any point, not even from the lobby, before starting a game (which would be really crucial as you don't want to end up in an Australian guy's lobby when you're playing from Europe, or in the lobby of someone in Russia when you're from the US, yet that still appears to happen occasionally).

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
What's the deal with people recommending regular Spectre Packs all of a sudden?
If you want to get gold and / or ultra-rare gear, PSPs are obviously the best deal because a single PSP will guarantee you two gold cards as opposed to one with the regular SPs, so no matter how much money you spend on SPs, you'll always get more gold cards with the PSPs. And a better chance for ultra-rares as well.
If you don't care about gold and ultra-rares, because, for example, you want to get silver gear, you absolutely should go for Veteran Packs as one VP will guarantee one silver, so you get a guaranteed 3 silver cards for the same price a single SP costs you (which can end up with 0 silver cards IIRC). Plus you get more consumables with the three VPs as well.

Why exactly would you ever want to buy a regular SP again?

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Lagomorphic posted:

It's basically me doing most of the recommending. Compare the cost of buying a veteren pack and a PSP with the cost of buying two regular spectre packs and then compare what you're getting out of them.

Unless you don't care at all about uncommons you'll get more value out of the regular spectre pack.

1 VP + 1 PSP = 1 silver + 2 gold (guaranteed)
2 SPs = 2 gold (guaranteed)

I might be wrong on this, but I don't think regular SPs (or even PSPs) have guaranteed silver cards (although there's certainly a good chance you'll get one with either), so again, if you want to maximize your bang / buck ratio for uncommons, you'd be far better of just buying 3 VPs, or heck, even 6, for the price of 1 or 2 SPs because you'd get at least 3 or at least 6 uncommon cards respectively.

Honestly not trying to sound like a dick here, I'm genuinely curious, but I feel like I'm missing something here!

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

So far I've mostly just been getting veteran packs because I want some new weapons faster and I'm still playing bronze. Would I be better off saving for PSPs anyway? Also, what RNG factors exactly can you "max out" to eliminate them and increase the chances of getting a character or weapon I want?

There are no RNG factors you have any control over.
The only thing you can "max out" is the "bang for your buck ratio" if you're specifically going for a certain kind of item / class.
For example, if you want consumables, your best bet would be a Jumbo Equipment pack.
If you're going for silver cards exclusively (and don't care about gold cards and ultra-rares), your best bet would be Veteran Packs.
If you're going for gold cards exclusively (and don't care about silver cards), Premium Spectre Packs are your best bet.

In your situation (with still plenty of silver and gold stuff to unlock), I'd alternately go for VPs and PSPs.
Considering you're still playing mostly Bronze, you might as well just go with VPs for a while (because saving up for PSPs can take a while) until you have some decent silver weapons and are comfortable to play silver difficulty regularly, at which point you might want to save up for PSPs to get in on the gold equipment and characters (and pop the occasional VP for silver weapon mods and gear).

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Lagomorphic posted:

The second last slot in a regular spectre is almost always an uncommon or better and they have a much higher chance of coughing up gear/weapon mods. The guaranteed slot in the veteran will almost always be a character or gun. So one the whole you come out ahead on uncommons and especially for gear/mods.

When that second slot isn't uncommon it's because it got upped to a rare and you've come out ahead on rares. You also get more gel/etc. because you got +5 twice instead of +3 and +5. You're consumables are also all lvl. 3 instead of a mix of 2 & 3.

If you're looking specifically for uncommon guns/characters then yes the veterens are a better buy, and if you're looking only for rares then go PSP. If you want the best overall value then buy the regular spectres.

Right, that's a good point on the consumables!

I guess if you still have both, plenty of silver and gold stuff to unlock (and are not going for any particular type yet), SPs can be a decent value then!

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Victory Pack but no commendation pack. Maybe they're switching it around so we need to do the squad goal for n7 weapons. :raise:

Nah, the blog entry on the operation clearly stated that the allied goal would be rewarded with a Victory pack, and the squad goal with a Commendation pack.

Also, Commendation packs have always taken (up to a day) longer to roll out.

Although I supposed it would be funny if they'd switch it around and bind N7 weapons to the allied goal and watch the playerbase drop even more rapidly.

By the way, when was the Leviathan DLC supposed to get released again?

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

radintorov posted:

Is the Valiant still good? I just got my first in the Commendation pack and I remember everyone loving it months ago.

Most definitely.
I'd argue that it's the most versatile sniper rifle currently in the game. The Black Widow is possibly still better for "actual" sniping and raw damage output, but the fact that there are plenty of really good ARs and shotguns in the game against armored bosses now makes it somewhat less appealing.
The Valiant, on the other hand, is a lot more forgiving about missed shots and more efficient against trash mobs and mid-tier enemies (Marauders, Rocket Troopers, etc.) so it's still a really good sniper rifle for Infiltrators (plus you can get all three shots off during a single Cloak) even if it can't compete with the Black Widow against bosses.
The single shot sniper rifles are becoming increasingly obsolete and the rapid fire ones are pretty much outclassed by assault rifles across the board right now, so yeah, if you want to get some actual sniping on, it's either the Valiant or the Black Widow these days.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
Crusader III :unsmith:

I mean, it's no Eagle, but ... close, I guess.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Nordick posted:

Also if the Incisor's burst wasn't so retardedly slow. It's loving stupid how the flavor text actually says it fires three rounds so quickly it sounds like one gunshot, but then in-game it just goes pew-pew-pew. Piece of poo poo.

Ah yes, :turianass:lore consistency:turianass:, we have dismissed that claim.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

That DICK! posted:

Why is this thread on page 4? You should all be celebrating my Hurricane V! Yeeeeeehaw! *makes loud fart noises*

Fixed that.

That DICK! posted:

Goes well with my Eagle V B)

Oh.

Ooohh.

My condolences :(

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Synonamess Botch posted:

Particle rifle isn't that bad. It's actually pretty good with a Destroyer.

Anything is good on a Destroyer, and the Particle Rifle is still worse than pretty much any other AR I could think of. A Phaeston, heck even an Avenger probably performs better than a Particle Rifle with that class (or any other class, really). And that's not even talking the good ARs like Harrier, Saber or Typhoon.

I mean, yes, you can eventually kill poo poo with it (especially if you slap consumables on it), but the point is that you can do so much faster and much more efficiently with pretty much any other AR (especially if you slap consumables on them).

EDIT: Actually, come to think of it, the Vindicator could possibly be slightly worse than the Particle Rifle still.

Burning Mustache fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Aug 21, 2012

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Stroop There It Is posted:

I'm joining the Valiant I club this operation. I'm trying to find something heavy-hitting and decently ranged to complement the Reegar on my Demolisher for when something is beyond grenade-n'-zap range. Is the Valiant worth it (with a piercing mod, right?)? Or should I just go back to my Black Widow I?

Valiant is absolutely worth it, especially on a Destroyer.

The difference between a Valiant and a BW is that the former is more like a designated marksman rifle; Really decent ROF for a semi auto rifle, significantly more damage per shot than any assault rifle, drat accurate. You can ignore the ammo limit of three shots per clip (four with Destroyer Mode on) because the reload is nearly instantaneous. Basically the rifle is perfect for dispatching mooks and mid-tier enemies (Marauders, Rocket Troopers, Centurions) at range. The high ROF and quick reload also make it very forgiving about missing a (head)shot or two.

The BW on the other hand is more of a "proper" sniper rifle. You'll want to go for headshots (and hit them) to maximize your damage output because the rate of fire between shots is significantly lower than with the Valiant. On the other hand, this rifle is also a pretty good boss killer.

So it comes down to what you expect from your rifle. Proper sniping and dealing lots of damage against bosses? BW.
Dispatching anything that's not a Banshee / Atlas / Geth really quickly at range? Valiant.

Burning Mustache fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Aug 29, 2012

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

TacticalGranny posted:

Also, if you haven't tried it, pizza delivery missions can be more awesome. Get a running start at it, and when you reach the package, spam the space bar (or substitute your action key here) and you'll run while dropping and picking up the package. Corners are a bit wierd if you're hosting, but it makes for easy deliveries and it's kinda fun to boot.

Say what you will about game balance but I think it would be awesome if Vanguards could charge while carrying the package. Infiltrators get an inherent advantage in the 4-hack objectives, why shouldn't Vanguards get them for the delivery objective? :colbert:

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Psion posted:

I have both and I actually prefer the Harrier to the Indra (both at I) for my destroyer, but I have no idea if that's the pro DPS optimal strategy.

I think the nice thing about the Indra is its weight and the fact that it's basically a scoped assault rifle that benefits from sniper rifle passive buffs -- so, in other words, a lot of utterly useless stuff for the Destroyer, but something incredibly useful for a bunch of other classes.

I also want one :(

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Felinoid posted:

I would laugh so hard if, somehow, people ended up not getting their packs because [Missile Launcher] showed up in the kill feed.

If they spend points on the Missile Launcher they deserve it :colbert:

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
Well, gibbed hasn't posted anything about upcoming DLC lately so I doubt it's due soon :colbert:

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
I find the camo pattern works much better than the stripe patterns for maximum :barf: effect.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
Wait what, I don't touch this for weeks and suddenly there's playable Volus characters?! :psyduck:

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
Quick question, do SMG ULMs work properly on all SMGs now and if they don't, do they still work with any SMG if you're also using pistol ULMs at the same time (in fact, did that ever work at all?)

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Burning Mustache posted:

Quick question, do SMG ULMs work properly on all SMGs now and if they don't, do they still work with any SMG if you're also using pistol ULMs at the same time (in fact, did that ever work at all?)

Anyone?

:tali:

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Kaizer88 posted:

ULM works for all SMGs now

Awesome, thanks!

Felinoid posted:

I think so, though the only one I'm sure of is the Hurricane. Because if you can have a 7% Hurricane, why would you even bother with anything else. :v:

Yeah I mostly intended to use it for the Hurricane anyway, obviously.
So as long as it works for that I'm good I guess!

I've actually got a Volus Adept earlier and I'm rocking him with a Hurricane and a Paladin, both with ULM and ... well that class is just insane as it is, but that loadout combination is certainly amazing.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
Oh, another thing;

What are the new guns (Argus, Raider, Collector weapons) like? Any similarities to older guns?
Got a Raider I earlier but haven't bothered to give it a try yet.

I've also read something about the Crusader being significantly buffed again recently ... is it good yet?

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
Thanks for all the info guys!

I guess I'll give the Raider a try with my Geth glass cannon at some point then.

EDIT: Also just played a FBW/G/G game with a Turian Ghost I just unlocked and drat, that guy has insane survivability ... FBW "farming" now feels like playing just a regular Silver game because you can afford to just run around the map in circles and mow everything down and occasionally hit "2" if push comes to shove.

Burning Mustache fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Oct 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

precision posted:

Maybe stating the obvious but the Argus is in the Single Player so you know if you ever played that you should have an idea of what it's all about.

Actually I'm pretty sure I've never had the Argus in SP. It was probably a pre-order bonus you got with some stores or if you pre-ordered on Origin, whereas I think I ordered my (boxed) copy from Amazon and didn't get it.
I think it may also have been introduced (again) with the Leviathan DLC which I also don't have.

Either way, who gives a crap about singleplayer, right? :v:

EDIT: Or maybe I actually do have it and just never bothered to try it. I don't even know anymore :I

• Locked thread