Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.
The biggest problem about the Volus is that the bug that makes Shield Restore cause other teammates to be unable to use a power or fire their gun still hasn't been fixed IIRC.
Melee (or heavy melee, I forgot which) will fix the bug and you'll be able to use your powers and fire your guns again, but a lot of people don't know that so you're pretty much forcing them to go down after standing around doing nothing for a minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Sarkozymandias posted:

What packs are most likely to have respec cards?

I think they're Silver rarity, so per given amount of credits spent, Veteran Packs should be your best bet I believe.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Psion posted:

It is pretty funny to see how much people's opinion of what is/is not OP has evolved. In the demo, Phalanx with scope headshot stasis sniping on bronze was SUPER OP! HOLY poo poo BIOWARE. biotic combos with an asari adept? Pffft I got stasis bubbles to cast here, don't got time for that poo poo

Well, to be fair, it's not just people's opinions, it's also that a lot of powers, weapons and enemies have changed radically, never mind all the new stuff that got added since.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Mr.Flibble posted:

Here is the Multiplayer character's talking bits from the new dlc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwVvG6DB0vo

This is absolutely incredible :allears:

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

ChaosReaper posted:

Is my way of doing gold viable for platinum? I normally play gold with a paladin and primarily just spam powers all the time. I carry a hurricane for when I do need to shoot but I'm not sure if it's high enough level for platinum games. I also have been using the edibot since it came out but I know I don't have a high enough shotgun for that other than maybe the crusader but I can't hit poo poo with that half the time.

http://social.bioware.com/n7hq/home/overview/?name=ChaosReaper0&platform=xbox is my manifest.

You've got a Reegar which is all you need for EDIbot, even at level I. You'll definitely want to use the Shredder Mod and AP rounds consumables with it though (especially if your Shredder Mod isn't level V yet).

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
E: /\/\/\ Curses! :argh:

Psimitry posted:

Is the geth engineer basically a no go for platinum? I've been booted from three different lobbies now.

If you're playing with good people they can drag through pretty much any class, but the GethGineer on his own is rather unimpressive. Between the turret and Overload, he doesn't deal a lot of offensive damage (there are classes with Overload that are a lot better because they can either set off their own tech / fire explosions (Human Engineer) or they do really good damage on their own and still have the ability to detonate other people's stuff (Turian Ghost)), and he's not a super defensive healer like a Volus or damage tanker like the Juggernaut either.

He's honestly one of the least impressive classes even on lower difficulties in my opinion, and for Platinum he's in a weird spot where he's not a super-useful alrounder or blunt damage dealer, and he doesn't really fill a specific niche either.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Ignorant Hick posted:

drat. I remember when the Geth Engineer's turret was an amazingly good source of healing, along with sniper infiltrators being the best damager thanks to the cloak bonus. Is there a patch list somewhere I can look at to see what else has radically changed?

There's this thread on BSN that has all the changes listed if you feel like digging through it.
Sniper Infiltrators are still pretty drat good with Black Widows, especially against bosses. Particularly the Salarian and the Drell Infiltrator are very good for this. And the Drell's Recon Mine is very useful in general on Platinum.
But shotgun Infiltrators have come a long way. Between decent shotgun mods (and decent shotguns themselves), the Gethfiltrator and EDIbot, they're impressive damage dealers now.
Other than that, the Turian Ghost with an AR (though particularly with the Harrier) gets an insane damage output.
Those are basically your bread and butter damage dealer classes.

Geth Engineer's turret isn't too bad for healing in principle, but the Volus does that a lot better and the Juggernaut has the same turret and in addition can tank groups of enemies or block single bosses without being instakilled while your team takes care of them. He pretty much blows the Gethgineer out of the water.

I dunno when you stopped playing but one other pretty significant change was with regards to tech combos. For example, Fire Explosions now occur even if the target doesn't die in the process, so you can just do Incinerate (or Incendiary Ammo) -> Overload (or any other tech power) on a boss over and over for massively damaging Fire Explosions.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Elotana posted:

No, that's bullshit. I've top-scored platinum as a GE before. He's not "optimal" but still perfectly fine.

I mean, it's like the old "everything is Gold viable" statement. Yes, technically, decent people can do well with it on Platinum, especially with other decent people on a team, but come on, the Geth Engineer is about as objectively bad for Platinum as it gets when compared to most other classes.

E: Or more importantly, it's perfectly understandable that pubbies will perceive it as not Platinum-worthy when 99% of them can't even hold their own with TGIs or EDIbots.

Burning Mustache fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Mar 9, 2013

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

RomaVictor posted:

I just got back into this game, and I'm delighted to see all the new content. But I have a question about the new packs. Forgive me if the question has already been answered, but are PSPs still the best chance for Ultra Rare weapons? Or do the Arsenal packs serve that purpose?

Arsenal, Reserve and PSPs are supposed to have the same chance for UR guns I believe.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
The one thing you should probably pay close attention to if you're new to the game are the mechanics of power combos.
They're a good part of the reason why caster classes are so good when starting out (and in fact, Human Engineer and Adept are two of the best caster classes in the entire game, among other things because they can actually prime and detonate their own powers repeatedly and they're starter classes as well). It also helps to pay attention to what classes your teammates are using (click on their names in the lobby to see what powers their classes have and what stuff they have equipped) and choose your class accordingly (i.e. if there are plenty of biotics on your team, select something that can prime / detonate their biotic powers).

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

:aaaaa:

Thanks for that, I'd never have found them otherwise. That's far from the most intuitive way of doing it, let's say.

Hahahaha, let me tell you about buying DLC for ME2 ...

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Shogunate posted:

So I've played a few of games now, is there a bug that stops you from using any of your powers?

Cause if it I've just found one :v:

And before people say it's not my controller.

If a Volus teammate does their Shield Boost thingy close to you that tends to happen. It'll also prevent you from firing your gun.
Doing a heavy melee will fix it!

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
Yeah, no, the heavy melee thing will only fix the Volus Shield Boost-induced bug.

I've had guns doing no damage before as well which usually fixes itself at the beginning of a new wave, but I haven't had it in ages now so I'm not entirely sure.

As for Shogunate: No idea what that specific but might have been or how to fix it :tali:, but, well, :bioware:

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Pumpking posted:

I've wasted many a gel when reload cancelling and going down unexpectedly. I also sometimes hit the gel button if I get too cocky and go down in the first wave, then hope nobody noticed :saddowns:

Just play EDIbot and everyone will think you just had your Repair Matrix up :v:

And somewhat related, I've also had Ops Survival Packs get consumed but not do anything when I hit them right before I go down a couple of times recently despite Bioware claiming they'd fixed that ages ago
:arghfist::saddowns:

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Doc Dee posted:

This has happened to me once or twice before, but it happens FAR more often with Repair Matrix itself. :suicide:

It's happened a couple of times with Repair Matrix for me, but most of the time it's not much of an issue because I use that pretty liberally and usually a fair bit before poo poo really starts hitting the fan, unlike Ops Survival Packs which I absolutely must not use until the very last possible second :downs:

What I've found much more annoying about Repair Matrix so far is that the overlay sometimes appears to bug out in a manner not unlike Annihilation Field's visual effect, where you can still see the overlay but apparently the power itself isn't actually active. It's quite annoying to go down with the overlay active and persisting, thinking you would be safe with the power active, but the game just pulling a huge "hahaha, NOPE." on you.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Aristobulus posted:

Trying to get the hang of how to play the Asari infiltrator

Does cloak give a damage bonus to dark channel/warp?

Yeah, in fact, in her case, it gives a bonus to powers only and not to gun damage.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

I stand corrected!

lenoon posted:

Two class questions - how the hell do you play an build the cabal vanguard? Feels like a squishy-er ammo dependent batarian.

And - same question for the N7 fury? I'm just not getting the hang of these characters.

I can't really give advice about the Cabal yet so I'll leave that to others.

As for the Fury;
The class is all about constant biotic explosions. You run up to (clusters of) enemies, prime them with AF and then Throw to detonate. Dodge back, run into them again, repeat. Same for bosses. If you're still some distance away from your target(s), cast a DC on them and detonate it with Throw while you run up to them.
Learn how to dodge through walls and use this liberally to increase your survivability.

Also, with AF, take the impact radius, movement speed and drain evolutions.

A Hurricane is a good weapon for her (though you're not going to use it that much anyway) and double so with Warp Ammo.

Aristobulus posted:

Oh, neat!

One more question then. Cloak gives a damage bonus to powers used coming out of it - does that mean, if I spec cloak to allow me to fire off an extra power and remain hidden, that if I do cloak->dark channel->warp, that BOTH dark channel and warp will get the damage boost, or only warp would, since warp would be the power that actually removes the cloak?

I'm pretty sure the bonus should apply to both, but I've honestly never thought about it. I hardly ever pick the bonus power evolution for Cloak myself, although with the Asari it might actually be useful.

E: Actually, the more I'm looking into this the more it seems like the boost would only apply to the second power being used but I'm honestly not sure. Again, I've never really thought about this! :tali:

Burning Mustache fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Mar 12, 2013

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Ravenfood posted:

I prefer the damage taken evo. You're already pretty mobile with your dodges and fast runspeed, extra damage gives you more options when you can't actually run everywhere and need to kill something immediately. Radius and drain are required, though.

The extra speed bonus feels pretty significant to me and I really like it, but it's a matter of personal preference I guess. If you don't really feel the bonus, feel free to skip it! The choice is certainly much more up to debate than the other two, though.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

wei posted:

Balance changes are up, mostly changes to guns and classes from the last DLC. N7 Commendation Pack weapons were added to the UR pool.

Finally a chance to get my Valkyrie to X! :downs:

E:FB

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
EDIbot got nerfed pretty hard :\

Also, this one's interesting:

Hex Shield Power
- Fixed a bug where enemy Geth Prime siege pulse projectiles could pass through the shield

So the projectiles could penetrate the shield but they weren't supposed to. That's cleared up then, I guess.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Gordon Shumway posted:

If Geth Primes siege pulses aren't supposed to go through the Hex shield, shouldn't it protect against Ravager, Atlas, and Scion blasts as well? I'm pretty sure it doesn't protect against any of those things.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I think I've seen Scion shots pass through the shield as well in the past, and you'd assume if it's supposed to block Prime blasts, it should protect against those as well. Although I can't confirm with absolute certainty that Ravager, Atlas and Scion blasts would pass through it so far at all.
Or maybe they're now also fixed as a consequence of Prime blasts being fixed and they're not specifically mentioned in the patch notes.

I guess the only way to find out is to test this extensively.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

thevoiceofdog posted:

Umm, is there a particular reason the GAME IS RESETTING MY KEY BINDINGS EVERY TIME I ENTER A GAME?

This is loving retarded.

AFAIK this only happens with the Talon Mercenary and the bind for the melee key.
Not that this isn't annoying enough, but I think that's the only issue I've had with keybinds resetting so far.

This also wasn't much of an issue because the class was pretty useless up until today anyway :v:

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

seravid posted:

Welp, guess I'll never get a Lancer now.

I saw some people talk about the Geth SMG earlier. I have it at level VI, what's it good for?

Beating Swarmers to death with.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Alteisen posted:

I also didn't know that pooping mines into a spawn would cause them to explode without primed, I ended up vaporizing an entire spawn of brutes, ravagers and marauders by just firing off all my mines.

Anyone figured out if there's some potential for Glacier Platinum speedrun-style hilarity with these mines yet then?

E: \/\/\/ :golfclap:

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Party in the UAE posted:

I'm getting into this stuff now that I have a busted body and can excuse couch time. What's the easiest way to get up to speed and get some cool action going?

Play some Bronze games and try to move up to Silver as soon as you feel comfortable. Play enough Silver games to buy some Recruit and Veteran packs to max out your common weapons and characters and get a reasonable supply of uncommon ones. Once you can hold your own comfortably on Silver, try to move up to Gold games as soon as you can so you'll be able to afford Premium Spectre Packs and get the actually useful gear. Play with goons who will gladly drag you through Gold to get quick bucks and a hang of the difficulty.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Elotana posted:

Honestly aside from the TMerc PC bug I don't have that many more complaints about the MP. The Spitfire needs more buffs, and I'd like to see them bring the Krysae out of purgatory a bit, but overall, :citizenkaneclap:

I mean, in general it's pretty good fun, but there's such an abundance of really, really terrible guns compared to the dozen or so that everyone uses all the time (for good reason).

Which is a shame because a shitload of them are actually fun to shoot but they just don't deal reasonable damage for anything above Silver (or even Bronze in some cases).

Mass Effect pew pew guns are fun to use, all of them, give me a reason to do so, dammit!

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Party in the UAE posted:

I've normally the highest scorer on Bronze games, either playing as a Salarian Engineer with the Javelin (sit near an ammo pack and kill anything that hide, stun anything that doesn't, and then kill) or a human vanguard flying all over.

I do fine on silver, but I always wind up playing with guys who like to wander off and get killed. Added my name to the list of N7 Goons, hopefully I dont regret this.

Yeah, at this point, don't even bother with Bronze and just play Silver for your regular, run of the mill games with random pubbies and Gold if you feel like gambling a bit :v:
If you're able to do fine on Silver on your own (i.e. with random pubbies) you should be absolutely fine to do Gold with Goons, which should give you a nice boost to your spacebux account.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Gato posted:

I'm getting back into this after a long time out, did they ever fix the the fitness bugs with the Phoenix classes? Went into a game with the vanguard and it felt like I was dying in milliseconds.

I'm not entirely sure, but IIRC that whole "bug" was identified as not actually being a bug all the way back. I think people tested out various build combinations, uploaded videos and they found out that fitness does make a difference, it's just that the class, like any other human class, is squishy to begin with and doesn't ever get huge shields and health compared to many other classes.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

lenoon posted:

So you just and only get these in packs once you reach a certain stage in the manifest? That's pretty terrible.

No, if the RNG rolls a gold (rare) card it can either be a character or gun you don't already have, or a level IV consumable. If you have all of your gold characters maxed, it can either be a gold gun or a level IV consumable. If you have all gold cards maxed, it will always be a level IV consumable, but the drops of ultra rare cards are not affected at all by how much gold stuff you've maxed out.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Thanks - what to press to actually cancel the animation is what I needed to know.

Other than pressing the medigel or a power button, you can also perform a dodge move to cancel the animation.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
I'm pretty sure just disabling your internet connection before you start the game before attending the Cerberus base mission will prevent the game from accessing your N7 War Assets and lock in the lovely EMS if you want that, so you should be able to do Failshep runs just fine regardless of your promotions.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
Oh wow, I didn't know that. I would have assumed it would automatically assume a 50% readiness, not 100%.
Well that's pretty silly then, yeah.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I'm at a similar spot where I've used all of the good sniper rifles for sniper mastery and my choices for the last one are the Mantis, Viper, Incisor, and Krysae. I already have about 11,000 for the Viper and 0 for the others so I may just go with that.

I've actually been playing a bit with the Viper on my Human Engineer lately and I found it to be pretty good fun. It also leaves you with a +200% cooldown bonus. Of course you'll want to bring a Hurricane with HVB against bosses, but against regular enemies and with the gear that gives you tech and sniper rifle bonus, it's fun enough and OK to use against regular troops even on Gold.

Similarly, the Mantis is OKish on classic sniper Infiltrators like the Salarian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
The M11 Suppressor is pretty sweet on the Paladin along with the Hurricane.
Failing that, the Paladin (:haw:) if you have one, or even a level X Carnifex do a good job of taking care of non-boss enemies along with his constant techsplosions.
And for bosses you have the Hurricane + HVB anyway.

Also,

this is pretty cool :I

• Locked thread