Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.

jpmeyer posted:

So assuming that the upcoming MP DLC includes the Raider and Argus:

I'm not sure this will necessarily be the case. They were both pre-order bonuses and so have actually been in the game from the start without being introduced to MP. Same goes for the Valkyrie. Personally, I'm more hoping for the Punisher and the Adas, both are awesome and fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.

Felinoid posted:

I've seen a lot of SalEngs with the Indra, I think because it's relatively light, rapid fire but not a pea-shooter, has the 2x scope, and because Salarians have the sniper weight in their race tree.

It's currently my go-to for White Platinum farming (still sticking with Piranha Geth for Glacier).

The cooldown works perfectly with cloak-prox-shoot and thanks to the range if you have someone keeping the enemy busy at the terminals you can hang out in the back and not die all the time.

--

I'm a bit concerned if Bioware is banning people who play a lot with cheaters. I don't go looking for them by a long shot and I sometimes report but it seems like these days every other Platinum game has a missile glitcher. I don't quit if I've spent decent equipment on the mission.

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.

Kraven Moorhed posted:

I'd be up for some Gold games/farming with goons. In as Mesnomer. Currently running around with a glass cannon Geth Engineer, but my RNG has been throwing Kishocks at me like nothing else (VIII while my Geth Shotty is still at II :argh:) so I might switch over to a more harpoon-friendly build for some whale hunting. I can handle myself fine on Gold, though I'm still working off some bad habits gained from pubstomping. Would like to make my way up to Plat someday.

Man I hardly used the Kishok since it came out but yesterday I gave it a shot and discovered that it is great. With a bit of equipment help you can kill say a Hunter on gold with a single headshot. It's a bit temperamental, sometimes hit registration seems a bit funny. I like to put in on my Batarian Sentinel for net and harpoon, whalers-on-the-moon type action.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I'm amazed at how many bugs I'm still finding.

I just ran into one I've not seen before. I could see my team as normal, but all enemies were totally invisible, though I could see their fire and be hurt by it. I couldn't seem to hurt them, there were no kill messages and a bunch of other weird stuff.

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Finally unlocked the scorpion. What's the best way to use this bad boy?

These days it's fairly light, often I use it on casters. The damage isn't fantastic but it staggers well and is a good way of distributing ammo power effects. It takes quite a bit of practice to get used to, if you're having trouble sticking enemies try aiming at the floor, the projectiles will explode on proximity.

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.
Speaking of gear, it seems to me that those new two weapon bonus damage Rare gears (I think one is called Guerrilla?) are completely redundant. Densified Ammunition works on all weapon combinations, is uncommon and gives a better damage bonus (12% vs. 10% at V).

Or am I missing something?

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.
I like the Kishock and Cryo Blast buffs, but both rather miss the point - it's bugs that make them both less than they could be - weird hit detection on the Kishock and the Incinerate damage bonus not working on chilled targets.

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.

Doc Dee posted:

HURRICANE I FINALLY :bubblewoop:

Same! Flipping finally. It's everything I dreamed of. Then I got a couple of PSPs and upgraded my Paladin and Particle Rifle. It was a good evening.

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.

Gatac posted:

Wow, so after ten PSPs in a row that were all consumables (gently caress you, level 4 ammo mods!), I finally get an ultra-rare...and it's an upgrade for the Particle Rifle.

Once you get the hang of the multiplier effect the Particle Rifle is awesome. Stick it on something that can stand to be out of cover for a while and go crazy.

Kraven Moorhead posted:

Batarian Soldier

Personally I like to take a powerful shotgun (Piranha, Reegar, Graal) on the Soldier, and use the Kishock on the Sentinel. Sub Net makes headshots much easier and with rails and ammo you can one shot Hunters on Platinum.

Anyway, extra tip for BatSol: Put on Adrenaline Module III. So much fun.

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I run around with a Javelin on my Geth Infiltrator. After the change to shield gating it's effective enough, and headshotting people hiding in cover in the next room never gets old. It's not optimal, but it's fun and different.

Personally I like it on the Quarian Male. Tac scan for bosses, and Arc grenades. Phantoms become trivial. Cloak, throw grenade, headshot while they are in their stupid power immunity pose.

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.
So, anyone else tried the Graal since the buff? It's amazing. Thanks to the increased headshot multiplier and gate-ignoring, with good equipment you can blow the head clean off any non-boss enemy on Platinum. Hunters, Phantoms, even Pyros. I've been running it on my Krogan Soldier, backed up by Inferno Grenades, and even tried a Graal infiltrator build. Fun, but not quite as good as I hoped.

I also discovered (I think) one of the things that makes the game freeze. I noticed a couple of times that it happened as I was looking at someone when they died in that one spot on White that makes you fall through the floor and respawn. It might have been coincidence but looking back I realised a lot of my freezes were in that area, so from now on I will be studiously avoiding looking there once the last objective is done.

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.
Personally I haven't found it to be very noticeable, though generally I hold my shots til the enemy is fairly still or moving directly at me, or at close range. I've been using the Kishock for a while so maybe I'm just used to the travel time mechanics.

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.

Donald Kimball posted:

Just unlocked the Paladin and Cerbguard in one PSP. I have no clue how to spec the Paladin, and I'm shaky on the vanguard. Any suggestions?

Actually, is the Cerbguard even viable on platinum?

Today I top scored in a Platinum game with my female Quarian Engineer, so the lesson is any class is viable on Platinum (much like we used to say for Gold). Though I think Turret shields should scale a bit with difficulty, on plat my turrets generally die within seconds of being deployed.

As for the Paladin, I run 66644, with Energy Drain specced for draining and DR, which gives you a lot of survivability, and Incinerate (which is really not such a bad power) specced for damage and extra burn for killing armour. The shield isn't actually very useful. but even without it the Paladin has an excellent all-round combination of powers. In terms of weapons, I think the most effective is a Piranha with Disruptor for extra tech bursts.

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.
I think the Piranha is fine as it is damage wise. Maybe it should get a modest weight increase. It's a very powerful gun and that's fine, but it's also very light, meaning most casters can use it and still get excellent cooldowns. I think that's the real reason every other player is using it.

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.
Doesn't seem too bad to me. Clip size reduction in particular won't hurt Piranha Gethfiltrators too much.

Anyway since this operation seems like it will require some coordination feel free to add me if you're on XBL. GT: dub zomby. No mic but I swear I know what I'm doing.

In bragging news, got my Paladin and Saber to X today.

I tried the Argus, seems totally useless. Even at X it's like a shittier heavier Incisor.

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.

Lagomorphic posted:

I've spent a ridiculous amount of time playing this game and my highest ultra-rare is V. My Sabre's still at I as well. Also I think you meant Vindicator there, not that it matters they're both lovely guns that no one should use.

Well I was using it with a scope, and even on a Turian Soldier with maxed stability bonuses and in cover I would still only ever hit the first shot before the recoil made all the others spray over the target's head. That was what reminded me of the Incisor.

Speaking of lovely guns that no one should use, as a ME2 Locust nostalgic I'm glad to say the latest buff makes it at least a bit useable. On Human Engi I found that overload and a quick burst to the head (scoped) was actually a decent way to kill most trash mobs. Still useless against bosses but hey that's what incinerate is for.

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.

Lagomorphic posted:

Or you could always do this with the soldier, and use long range guns. I haven't used the carnage spec much since the Krysae got nerfed but it works pretty well with other guns. Carnage isn't that great but it's pretty spammable and works at longer ranges.

I do this, on my Soldier I skip Flamer entirely and go full passive, still go for max health/regen and take Disruptor Ammo with Carnage spam to tech burst. As you say the Krysae used to be awesome for that build but now it's basically useless. These days Indra works okay, and for a while I used the Particle Rifle but it's a bit heavy plus you have to break the multiplier to fire Carnage. Only difference I have is Carnage on area for easier combos.

Of course, it's nothing like as effective as my Reegar/Flamer Sent but it's a very different playstyle and pretty fun.

E: oh I accepted your xbl request, will definitely be going for the squad goal this weekend, though be advised I mostly play UK afternoons and evenings, which may not be terribly useful.

The New Black fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 20, 2012

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

Turian Soldier 6/0/6/6/6 I spec his marksmen for accuracy (talon or piranha) since N7 soldier is the superior bullethose. I only use proxy mine for swarmers and bosses, so i actually go with recharge there. I take marksmen headshots to avoid duration (8s is more than enough, any longer and you run the risk of having it on cooldown when you need it).

I love this build for Turian Soldier because I can take a Particle Rifle to use with Marksman and a Wraith to use with Prox Mine, essentially giving me two playstyles in one. Makes you really versatile, if you're in cover and defending the PR works great, but Prox+Shottie is much better when you're mobile and doing objectives etc.

These days though I don't really spec for optimality but for whatever I feel like trying, since I can mostly do fine on Gold (and Plat White) with it. I just respecced my Krogan Sent for Disruptor Ammo and Incinerate Tech Bursting with maxed Grenades for burst damage. It's a lot of fun, and I find trying out all kinds of builds really helps keep the game fresh. Only trouble is I always run out of respec cards.

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.
Man, I want to try an all Krogan/Vorcha/Batarian team. I got the op done right off with a team of Asari, then found a team of Quarians I helped out, but those don't even feel that different from humans.

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.

Lagomorphic posted:

Sorry New Black I didn't ignore your invite. I was in wave 8 of another game when I got it and yours filled up by the time it finished.

No worries, I'm off now though. Still up for some games later, in particular I'd enjoy some fun stuff as a break from Plat farming. That goes for anyone else still playing on xbl too.

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.

Gatac posted:

Okay, I must revise my opinion of the Argus slightly. It actually is useful...

• ...on a Turian Soldier fully specced for Stability - probably okayish on a Sentinel, too...
  • ...with the recoil compensator and magazine size mod...
  • ...and Armor-Piercing Ammo because you're otherwise SOL against Guardians...
  • ...trying for headshots on "infantry" type enemies...
  • ...and you need good eyes to nail those headshots without a scope...
  • ...and you reload-cancel the Saber-type reload animation...
  • ...and you judiciously use Marksman to boost the rate of fire.

I guess if you're really going all-out, you could use a stability consumable and free the slot for a scope to make sniping easier. Or you could just use a better weapon. Your call.

Funnily enough I just tried this as well only I went as you said with Stability consumable and scope. I found it to be not as bad as when I first tried it, with decent damage when you get the headshots. Trouble is that the burst isn't all that quick and there does seem to be a slight travel time (or is that just the firing animation?). In any case there are plenty of much better guns that fill a similar niche. Then again, there have been several new guns that were added and turned out kind of bad (Indra or Particle Rifle, say) and then got buffed into useability.

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.

SciFiDownBeat posted:

What's your GT (so I can add you)?

It's 'dub zomby'. Though I was thinking of changing it, seems kind of dumb to me these days. Suggestions involving terrible ME puns welcome.

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.

BrokenKnees posted:

There's still a few weapons to add to mp, assuming they don't make some new ones too.

N7 Valkyrie
Adas Anti-Synthetic Rifle
Chakram Launcher
Blood Pack Punisher
AT-12 Raider
and the Collector Rifle

Expect those to be trickled out over a while.

They also need to up the rate that Ultra-rares drop in packs too. I've got all the classes and weapons fully unlocked except promo and UR guns. I really don't want to keep seeing lvl4 consumables.

I disagree. I'm almost done unlocking ultra-rares and basically FYGM.

In fact, I'd be fine with this. I reckon it would keep people more interested and would also reduce the incentive to endlessly farm White.

Talon X yesterday. Yes it is just as good as you're imagining right now.

As for those weapons, I'd particularly like to see the Punisher and Adas, I dropped a few leftover points on the Firepower Pack and they're both a lot of fun. I'd make the Adas rare, there's plenty of UR ARs already, but no high power semi-auto Gold ones. The Punisher I think should be UR because a)there isn't a UR SMG and b) I want it to be super powerful.

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

What? Pretty sure it primes every time they re-enter the sphere. If you can combo on someone just entering, the stagger with knock them back out of it and then'll get primed again the second they move forward. It's a dark magic getting the timing perfect to keep it going consecutively but it's definitely possible.

Though it's hard to get this effect with sphere, this was my favourite discovery about Annihilation Field. Especially if you're in a longish bit of cover, you can just slide up and down getting explosions every couple of seconds.

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.
Weight changes to Paladin and Talon have no effect for me because I have both at X already. It's tough having awesome ultra-rares fully upgraded :(

Liking the grenade buffs and capacity increases. Though improving Inferno damage seems weird, they're already really good.

Agreed that the BF3 soldier is ugly as gently caress and I don't want to see any more of him.

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.

Lagomorphic posted:

Yeah I think they'd need to keep the dps lower than the Claymore but if got into into the same ballpark you'd have an interesting choice between the two.

^^ I actually ran into a guy using the Wrath tonight so there's at least two of you.

Man, I use it on about half my characters, Justicar, Turian Soldier, Krogan and Human Sent, one of my Human Engies etc.

The damage is actually really good and at X it's as light as the Piranha. It also has a fairly low spread (like the Eviscerator), a decent spare ammo count and so on. I suppose they could stand to cut the time between the two shots.

Won't mind them buffing the Black Widow, though it occurs to me that they could make snipers in general a lot more viable if they made headshots ignore the shield gate or something like that.

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.

thehumandignity posted:

Huh. How do I claim the reward for completing the squad bonus? I thought it would just appear in the store.

It should, but they don't all go out simultaneously. In a few hours if you still don't have it, you can contact support and they should hook you up.

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.

Psion posted:

Also, the Scorpion is great.

Seriously, anyone who hasn't tried it, put a Scorpion on the Salarian Engineer with Disruptor Ammo. It applies the disruptor effect on hits and then over an area on detonation, so you can get completely ridiculous numbers of tech bursts. Spec Energy Drain for drain and shield boost and you're incredibly durable as well.

Also you can pretend you're Captain Kirrahe or something.

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.
I guess if freeze combo worked it would make you an amazing boss killer too.

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.

Felinoid posted:

Anything it would actually matter to have bonus damage on doesn't have a headshot location.

I really miss Prime headshots :(

I just had a look at the bug list, I was under the impression that SMG ultralights were one of the few things they fixed. Is this wrong? Have I been wasting a mod slot this whole time?

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.
Put incendiary IV on your Piranha? While the Reegar does seem to benefit more, Incendiary seems to be glitched in general. It also combines with Warp to do even more insane dots (try Turian Sent). It' also seems to eat other dots when applied, so don't bother using it on say a class with Inferno grenades.

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.

PCjr sidecar posted:

It also makes farming WGP harder, as banshees get stuck trying to go over the counter.

Man, I'd better farm a shitload of WGP over the next couple of days, only 12 unlocks to go.

Still, this might mark the return of Glacier Plat farming, which I always preferred anyway.

Excited about a few other things - Disruptor now murdering shields, Incinerate+Cryo and AP ammo working properly and obviously reduced Krogan stagger and boss headshots. Wonder if my Javelin X will one shot a brute.

Also,

quote:

- Fixed the health bar position of Tactical Scan on Swarmers

What the gently caress?

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.

FronzelNeekburm posted:

I guessed as much, since there's no other real reason to mess with Decoy, but it sounds like drones will be even more worthless now, if they last their usual half a second under fire and don't even distract bosses.

Yeah, I've been messing round with Human Engies recently. On the harder difficulties even with maxed shields your drone tends to go down within a few seconds. Occasionally they'll distract something but not for long. It's not even as though they do much damage. Same goes for Quarian Turret. Geth of course is useful because you can spec for regen and shove it somewhere safe.

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.
I'm down for an XBL op run or two this weekend. GT once again is dub zomby.

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.
b-b-but I want a Punisher. Wouldn't expect them to add those like they did the Raider/Argus since they're not in everyone's game.

Don't mind at all that it looks like a lot of new classes have some old abilities, should keep things interesting. That Turian with the helmet looks awesome. Batarian Vanguard gently caress yeah.

Played a bunch today, trip report on patch - SMG ULM seems to work now, Boss headshots are awesome (gotta try one shotting a Brute with my Jav X Gethfiltrator), Banshees will now charge straight over the terminals on White (Plat farming just got much harder). Haven't tried a Vanguard yet. The White auto-resurrect spot fix seems to have failed, happened at least twice to me. At least I haven't seen a single missile glitcher.

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.

Schubalts posted:

If they keep it one character per class, the Infiltrator is covered by the Asari

Except the edited post is now a Turian Infiltrator and Soldier so who knows what is going on. Maybe the Asari Infiltrator is BS which would be a shame. Was hoping for Cloak Stasis and Dominate.

e: Then again I rewatched it and there was definitely an Asari using a new skill (looked a bit like Phase Disruptor)

The New Black fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 4, 2012

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.
Oh, and anyone who wants to team up to farm creds for this on XBL once again my Gt is 'dub zomby'.

I don't think the new Krogan is female. Looks just like the Vanguard to me.

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.

Elotana posted:

Can someone with a patch play a quick game through wave 3, disconnect, and report back if they keep their objective credits? Some folks on BSN are claiming this but it might be bullshit.

If so, my hat is off to Bioware on this patch.

Well earlier today (post patch) I disconnected from a game (wave 9 platinum fuuuuuck) and got no credits at all.

Also re: that datamined thing, I could see maybe a Volus but 4? Doesn't seem likely. I'd be more excited by a new Vorcha class (which it also shows).

e:^^isn't it likely those were various things they tried out and we'll only get 6 of those?

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.

Elotana posted:

^^^ Nope, Bioware confirmed 16 classes on the BSN forums. 4 to start with the rest being released over time.

Oh, sorry, I didn't see that. That's great though, new classes and power combinations will go a long way to keep things interesting.

Though I did just see a Bioware post on BSN that implies that Harby will indeed be dropping in during waves.

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.

Lagomorphic posted:

It does make me wonder what will be in or commendation packs now. If the promos are regular ultrarares now. They could just have the commendation pack be a random ultrarare. That'd actually be pretty cool.

Are they actually coming out of (P)SPs though? I know on the manifest they're now in with the rest of the UR weapons but I haven't seen anyone actually saying they got one from a regular pack. It might have just been them reorganising the layout of the manifest.

exquisite tea posted:

So the new Singularity is pretty good. I maxed it out on my Cerb Adept but I feel like the final evolution is unnecessary, 50 more damage isn't that much and the detonation field is unreliable. Maybe if it detonated on recasts instead of just when it naturally expired, it'd be more helpful.

Yeah I tried it out today having not played a Human Adept since I think the demo, and it was good and fun. I took the damage evolution, don't know how much impact it had but I was certainly getting a lot of kills with it. Given that it is very rare for me not to recast it before it dies I figured the detonation option was basically useless.

----

Hey, does anyone know if the Ballistic Blades not working from cover thing was fixed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.

Lagomorphic posted:

Yeah I haven't heard of anyone opening one yet so it might just be a new (stupid) organization scheme in the manifest. I'm just saying that it'd be cool if that was what they are doing. I'd assume that if they put them in the PSP's it'll be announced in a balance update like they did with the Indra.

It's kind if hard to tell right now since nobody is spending any credits.

Also, I gotta thank you for that recommendation to farm Glacier Cerberus Gold. I was farming White or Glacier Plat but if you extract on GCG you get 80k+ credits often in under 20 mins and it's much more reliable and less consumable intensive than Platinum.

• Locked thread