Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.
So I remember from the last thread that someone posted a comparison of the Indra vs. the Harrier. Can someone repost that? I just got one, and my turian sentinel is in favor of a solid rapid-fire solution that doesn't weigh a ton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

TacticalGranny posted:

I'm surprised they haven't RP'd the friends list fuckups into the mission flavor text while they are working on a fix.

"Heavy enemy activity is causing interference with civilian comm channels and personal devices. Military comms have been switched to backup encryption algorithms and secondary frequencies and are unaffected."

It would be amazing if every time something got buffed or nerfed or there was some outage of some kind, they had an in-lore reason for it.

"Recent advances in TAO overlay barriers will now allow those trained in their use to be more efficient in the use of omni-tools and biotic amps."

"We have learnt that the recent upgrades to the munitions minifacturers on the N7 Piranha shotgun have an unfortunate tendency to violently discharge all four thousand rounds whilst stored less than a foot from the user's cloaca. We are rolling back all schematics to the original configuration as a result."

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I'd hop online to help out, but I'm at work all weekend.

Definitely noticed a dropoff in the playerbase, which is a shame, because I only got into playing the multiplayer recently (I played through the single-player campaign a few times with different saves and decisions.) I suppose entropy is inevitable - I just wish it'd waited until I was ready to put the game aside.

Felinoid posted:

EDIT: I bet they're just bitter because Canada's only gold medal is in... Women's Trampoline? Huh. I need to go see if there's video of this (so I have a clue what the gently caress it even is).

Come on.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

thefullmetal999 posted:

So if you use a GPS and cloak then charge your weapon you de-cloak. Awesomeew

I think if you charge, then cloak, it stays charged and you stay cloaked.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

Thanks for the breakdown on the numbers behind Spectre packs. I'll switch to that strategy since I still have a number of silver unlocks to go.

Eventually I'll get the dang N7 Paladin. But yes, I do need more consumables and more silver gear. My current consumables is at 0/2/0/255. (The mystery of which one is 255 dies with me.)

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

Schubalts posted:

If you're on PC, just rename the DLC folders (MP_DLC_1 or 2), then load up the game and buy your SPs or PSPs. It will remove all items from the packs but vanilla and Earth items. Your unlocks are stored on your account itself, so just close ME3 up after you're done buying and rename the DLC folders to what they were.

Deactivating the DLC on the 360 and PS3 will do the same thing.

Interesting! I'll try this. Do I have to deactivate Origin/shut the game down before doing this, or turn off any kind of auto-updating?

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

Thanks to the disable-DLC trick, I now - after four Fury cards, four Slayer cards, four Destroyer cards and two Demolisher cards - have the N7 Paladin!

I am enjoying Snap Freeze, but I am thinking I made a mistake speccing Energy Drain to boost my shields and to work in a wide radius, since I'm far more used to stripping shields with its cousin Overload. Would this be a better idea for my next respec card?

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

Does anyone else feel weird when there's 1 or 2 points left over after you've bought all your powers? I just feel bad for them, sitting there and never getting to help out. :ohdear:

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I have to apologize to every single person I've grouped with as a Paladin, a class I now know that I suck badly at and ruin people's days with.

I'll be back to the N7 Fury tomorrow!

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

VJeff posted:

Oh god, has anybody else gotten to the Basilisk line in the Leviathan DLC yet?

Laughed really, really goddamn hard at that.

Also, I want to be able to wear Husky the Husk Head as a codpiece when I'm in multiplayer.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

VJeff posted:

Personally, I thought so, if only barely. It has a few interesting fight scenes, some good dialog scenes. It's not as good as Lair of the Shadow Broker, but it's a pretty nicely contained experience that clocks in at around 2-3ish hours.

It exists pretty purely for its own sake. All it gives you at the end is some war assets and a throwaway line in the ending.

It also gets you some of the newer mods from multiplayer (omni-blade on the assault rifle, ultralight pistol materials) and a new decorative item for the captain's quarters that has to be seen to be believed.

EDIT: Also! The Dominate power becomes available for single-player. Haven't taken it for a spin yet.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

Logged into ME3 yesterday and was told I needed to Redeem/Purchase an Online Pass. This is puzzling to me, as I play via Origin. I can't find a means of inputting it, nor what the passcode is to begin with.

What should I do? Is there an easy workaround, or am I going to be contacting Origin/EA?

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

Psimitry posted:

I can't speak for the masses, but with the exception of the ending, I was more wrapped up in the story of the third, and with the drat near perfect gameplay of the third than any other in the series.

The ending was a bit of a bummer, but otherwise I thought the story was drat near perfect.

....including the LOL I got when I realized that every refugee in the galaxy headed for shelter on the citadel, which the reapers then captured and moved to Earth, likely killing everyone in the process.

The moment I realized where the story was going was when I listened to the entirety of the PTSD asari's story, then saw at SPECTRE Requisitions that I could authorize her to carry a gun.

"Ah," thought I. "I can buy her a gun and at a critical stage, she'll be called upon to face her fears and she'll fight back against the Reapers!" And then I checked the War Assets screen and, er, I lost War Assets because the hospital staff were demoralized, because an asari somehow got a gun and she killed herself. That's when I realized that the story wasn't going to end with a high-five.

Story will be to personal taste, but I felt ME3's was the best of the series (overall, that is - I'll readily cop to Kai Leng not being a patch on Saren.) Gameplaywise, of course, there's no contest. The gameplay nails that mix of customization and ease of play they never quite hit with game one and game two. If they ever do Mass Effect Trilogy: Special Edition, I wish they'd redo games 1 and 2 with 3's gameplay.

I do think that the auto-dialogue was excessive, but somewhat forgivable. Voice acting costs money - apparently a disproportionate amount of their budget - and they have to account for every major decision you make via different dialogue strings. I imagine they cut back where they could. Not to say that I wouldn't have preferred the constant feedback of choosing a branch every dialogue couplet, though. If nothing else, it's an interesting testament to the economic costs inherent in the "your save will carry across three games" model of story customization, which Mass Effect may not have invented, but I'm hard pressed to think of another series that went as far as they did.

Anyways, I'll contact Origin if I still can't play tonight. This is the first major hiccup I've encountered in eight months so I'm not too upset, though that'll change if a day turns into a week.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I'll cosign that Paladin build. Since they changed the nature of techsplosions, the Paladin's been my favorite class. Remember, scoped Talon is the best gun, Snap Freeze goes through walls, and don't plant the shield unless you really know what you're doing. EDIT: And Energy Drain only sets off a techsplosion if the enemy's a synthetic or is shielded.

(I wish they'd give the Paladin a shield a bit more like the volus force field, handling problems from all directions, but the class has to have some downsides too or else it would be too good for this Earth.)

Mike From Nowhere fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Dec 4, 2012

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

Banjodark posted:

Thanks guys - especially about the warning about the bugged rank 6 evo.

going to give this a spin now, looking forward to it. I have a talon ready to go as well.

any other guns/load outs I should use? What sort of gear/consumables would you suggest?

Omni-Capacitors were built for the Paladin. If you're having trouble with the Talon's kick or low ammo capacity, the Barrage kit might help also. Otherwise, I find it's best to carry an ultralight SMG - the weight difference is barely even that, and it's nice to have a gun to switch to in the middle of an intense firefight instead of panicking when you hear DEETDEETDeetdeetdeetdeet

Most of the time, though, lean on the Talon. Though one nice thing about the shield light melee is that it'll bat back even a shielded enemy, such as a Phantom. I'm not saying run right the hey up there and hit them, but if they're in close enough to sync-kill you it can be a lifesaver.

Gearwise, Disruptor Rounds are nice for techsplosions and because you don't kill shields quite as fast as an Overload specced for it. You'll be using powers a lot, so Power Amps will be a help; a scoped Talon can headshot quite nicely so you can try a Targeting VI instead of a Pistol Amp and see what works best.

Also, be like that cool dude from the last thread and play this song during extraction.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

Felinoid posted:

Hiding so perfectly that Bioware will never find him.

He's behind a rock. :ssh:

The Krogan Engineer. Powers:

Hit It 'Til It Works
Kick It 'Til It Works
Throw It 'Til It Works
Rage At Why It Doesn't Work
Krogan Percussive Maintenance

my online pass is still broken, dumb poo poo like this is all I have :smith:

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

Felinoid posted:

Sorry to hear that. :( Did you at least give customer support a shout about it?

I did! On... Sunday. Ain't heard a thing, case is still open.

I don't hate Bioware like so many seem to, but holy poo poo do I hate their parent company right now. May the head of EA Customer Service die with my balls upon their lips not have a very good day or something

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

Things that both prime and detonate won't set themselves off. You have to mix things up if you want to make everything magically explode.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

You know what's awesome? Watching someone else Shadow Strike a Abomination and it gets Possessed in between liftoff and landing.

You know what's not awesome? You doing it.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

Zoran posted:

I had the same issue today. I used the "Call Me" feature on Origin Help, and they called me up within half an hour to take care of it. They apparently have to give you a brand new product key for the game.

I was gonna use the "Call Me" feature, but got off work too late for it. I tried another Email to EA tech support and will try calling them on Monday if that doesn't work.

If you get a new product key, does it wipe out progress up to this point? Am I gonna have to go through another thousand rare cards?

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I think your status is connected to your username so that stuff should all be there. If that was the case I would probably take it as my cue to stop playing Mass Effect 3. Hopefully the call me option will do the trick. How does this even happen?

Click on your case, then on 'Contact.' Should be an option to have them call you - if it's during the day, which does not help me much. I don't know if they do this on the weekend so I may have to wait 'til Monday.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

Hmmm, duration or damage on the Huntress? I mean, longer duration means that you can run around while your Dark Channel munches through a spawn... is it just personal pref, or is the damage evo4 really that much greater?

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

Houdini posted:

Thanks. I did try to contact EA support but this seemed to be a quicker work around. I'm away from my Xbox until tomorrow though. :stonk:

I haven't really been on the BSN, but there's some pretty insane stuff on there. I've just read a wall of text on someone "redesigning" Lift Grenades. :stare:

E: Forget that. Someone actually decided to make a banner for their Geth Adept thread - http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/343/index/14974324

I have a game I play with myself every time I log in to BSN to check the manifest: if I can log in without accidentally reading the most recent posts they inexplicably display on login.

If I win, I owe myself a dollar. I never win. :negative:

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

Ha, the DAY I get Mass Effect 3 back and Origin's on the fritz.

Here's what's hilarious: I must have loaded the page where it says "Click to have us call you" before they cut off for the night, but clicked the button after - because at six this morning, I get a phone call from EA tech support, ready to help me restore Mass Effect 3's online pass at a time of day where I'm not sure what those words actually mean.

They were super-nice about it, but... hell, guys, not at 6 AM.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Hilariously the process appears to have unauthorized From Ashes for me (and only From Ashes, Leviathan and all multiplayer DLCs are fine, my guess is that it's tied to the preorder of the old product code which is now deactivated), which locks out every single player save I have. I'm going to try and resolve that through email support though.

I lucked out and the guy managed to do it all from his end, but From Ashes still got deauthorized. Tried a repair job directly on the DLC after deleting it; no go.

Off to EA tech support again, fwee

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

The important thing is to make sure that you're playing this on infinite repeat when playing the Saboteur.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

Felinoid posted:

That is nowhere near as awesome as Ballad of Paladin. :colbert:

Only because I've yet to do a shot-by-shot remake of this video using ME3 multiplayer.

... listen, how would I do that

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

How're you all speccing the Recon Mine for the Volus Engineer? I'm legitimately torn between bigger boom and a widespread 25% boost to damage.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

UnknownMercenary posted:

Just got hit with the online pass issue. I had to spend an hour with live chat, and they granted me a new pass, except it's for the regular edition.

I own the collector's edition, and now I can't play From Ashes. :shepicide:

I have the same issue. I'm going to call them up again the next day off I get, and I'll pass along any solution that a user can implement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I love the Reserve Packs. I'm going for the N7 Mastery challenge and one of the perks of getting a character card is that you get a lump of XP with it too. So I hit 20, promote, buy cards and get XP so I don't have to slog through the horrors of level 1.

• Locked thread