Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duffath
May 9, 2007

My name is Legion for we are many.
Hello new ME3 MP thread!

I haven't played in ages so I've missed out an explanation on the new gear slot. Are they one-time expendables or equippable permanent lasting perks? I haven't used any yet because I didn't want to waste the good ones.

I've unlocked the N7 fury and N7 Demolisher and they've both been pretty fun. I don't have a huge array of N7 weapons so I've been using the Striker assault rifle and spamming shells with a big clip size and it seems pretty effective at battering things to pieces, and it doesn't surprise me to hear the Pirahna is too good because drat that gun does a tonne of damage.

The Fury is also ace fun for me because I like biotic classes. Being able to set up so many biotic combos at point blank range is absolutely amazing!

I think when people I play with unlock demolishers I'll have to get my Asari Justicar out again. Shield bubbles all day to make those dudes even tougher. Crazy stuff!

Oh that reminds me...Is gold much easier to do now? I never used to enjoy it because it was FBW/Geth and camping in some little corner. I'd like to think my classes are decently optimised, but probably not because I'm not using an infiltrator specced for headshot and sniper damage? I'm curious about how doable gold is these days with a bunch of level 20s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duffath
May 9, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Stasis is still useful, and the AA is a better at combos in some ways (more damage at range).

I think this is a big thing for AA vs Fury.

I played a lot of AA then quit for a few months and unlocked the Fury shortly after I came back. Fury feels devastating at point blank, but somewhat inadequate at range. At range dark channel > throw feels really lacking in damage compared to warp > Throw although I'm not sure if that's actually the case since it's been a long time since I played.

I also forgot how amazingly useful stasis is in the time I was away. Definitely still worth having an AA on the team for just being able to plant a bubble in a choke point and nuke most things touching it. As an AA I never feel too concerned with things like phantoms or guardians and overall I never feel I'm putting myself in the line of fire nearly as much as you have to with the Fury.

duffath
May 9, 2007

Captain McStabbin posted:

I think I'm gonna need a video of how to play the fury or something. I keep hearing about you guys running through groups of guys, turning around, and detonating them all. Then I try it and wind up dying because I can't detonate everyone fast enough. Do enemies only stay primed as long as they're in my annihilation field, or is there something I'm missing?

In my limited experience yes, you need to be in range of the annihilation sphere's effect as it doesn't seem to be a permanent prime. I'll just get into close range somehow and spam throw at anything that is primed. What you can also do is dark channel > Throw on a target to detonate and then re-prime and detonate a second time once you get in range of the sphere. When I run with the fury I take a Disciple with me as my only weapon. I find I don't need it that often to be honest, but it has good damage and staggers targets, potentially buying me a little more time or another kill.

It's also good to remember that if you kill the target you are channeling it'll jump to something else. It's not mentioned but I think it needs to be within a specific range. Regardless of whether that's true or not watch to see if you can see where the effect has jumped to because that target has just been primed for detonation. I've ran down a corridor following a dark channel hopping just spamming throw and killing something each time (maybe with an occasional shotgun blast to finish it off)

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Dark Channel is slightly quicker to recharge than Warp, but you miss a damage bonus from Warp, plus a Biotic Explosion bonus. It's enough for me to notice on something like a Gold Brute or Ravager.

But they're both two of my favourite classes.

Yeah seconding that. I love the biotic classes for the damage output. Damage-wise Fury feels more like crowd control whereas AA is single target nuking, but it's great that I can throw dark channel on something like a Banshee on the other side of the map, forget about it while I clear an approaching swarm and I'm helping to soften the harder targets up by the time they get into range. AA doesn't necessarily have better space control with stasis, but it's certainly a safer more effective way to hold a choke against non-armoured. I suppose in situations vs Armoured the Fury can at least output good damage with powers and shotguns by dancing around just out of sync kill range, but you've still got to put your rear end on the line versus any support troops stasis isn't going to catch.

duffath fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Aug 13, 2012

duffath
May 9, 2007

Anyone got some good tips on justicar builds? Both powers and weapons not entirely sure of what the best bang for my buck is in gold.

duffath
May 9, 2007

Lagomorphic posted:

Here's the build.

For biotic sphere you can spec it defensively instead but if you do then keep the warp effect since it'll prime anything wandering into the bubble for a Reave detonation. Also while I strongly recommend taking pull some people hate it and prefer to skip it and max the passive instead. If you do take the headshot bonus at rank 5 because the power bonus is bugged and doesn't actually do anything.

As for weapons you'll need to balance effectiveness with weight. You don't need a +200% weight bonus but you do want to go below +100% so stick to one gun and avoid the really heavy options like the Javelin and you'll be fine. I use a Talon (scope and piercing are a must for mods) on mine; it's fantastic but it's an ultrarare so you may not have it. The Mattock is also great choice and is pretty easy to get. If you have a Piranha it is light enough for the Justicar and at close range it will destroy poo poo at an ungodly rate so you could go with that as well.

Almost the same build funnily enough. Thanks for the input though! 2 things I'm unsure about

Is there any worth in 75% vs barriers and armour for rank 6 reave? I feel it's helpful versus hard targets but if I'm missing out on a lot of other stuff then It'd be good to know how much.

The other difference is Pull is at rank 4 versus Rank 5 passive....15% versus an AOE on pull....Is there an issue with that because pull has such a low cool-down couldn't you just spam it as easily and get an extra 15% on power damage?

edit: any info on the acolyte? Seems like great anti shield/barrier support or is it just me? currently running a disciple and an acolyte on this build for a cooldown of 154% Sound okay?

duffath fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Aug 13, 2012

duffath
May 9, 2007

Lagomorphic posted:

I find that the damage on Reave to be pretty weak. It's main uses are to set up explosions and provide damage resistance. Hard targets are best dealt with by setting up detonations and shooting, which is why I prefer damage resistance over extra damage.

The acolyte has a low base damage and a small area of effect but it does 5x the damage to shields and barriers. 154% is good for weight but the main problem with your build is that you have nothing equipped that's good against armor. If you post a link to your manifest I can make specific recommendations.

http://social.bioware.com/4097341/&v=bw_games&game=masseffect3_xbox&pid=201168250&display=multiplayer

I hope I've done that right, but that's my manifest. I was trying the acolyte to help deal with shields and barriers to help myself work more in a support role, since it's a bit of an arse for me to deal high damage quickly compared to other biotic classes. It's good but too situational. I feel what's probably the best and most flexible thing I've been doing is just taking a Phaeston. Gives me more flexibility at range against most stuff. With my current load-out I feel more bothered with shields and not armour though due to my Reave setup...hmmm :/

I've always liked the extra Armour and Barrier Damage on the reave and other biotic powers, but I never thought about the damage resistance. stacking a few reaves on a banshee does really seem help them melt pretty decently, plus it's great versus brutes and ravagers. When I do this in a support role it seems to allow me to reave snipe a ravager suppressing my team, fire a few shots, then snipe again. Feels like it lets my team concentrate on the shielded fodder that reaver doesn't work too well on. That was my logic anyway. With regards to damage reduction I've always felt pretty squishy anyway so a 30% damage reduction felt a bit needless. I am trying to be open minded though because I sure ain't no pro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duffath
May 9, 2007

Lagomorphic posted:

Okay with that pool you should try the Geth Plasma Shotgun with the High Caliber Barrel and Spare clip mods. The GPSG ignores the armor reduction entirely so it's equally effective at killing everything at rank 4 it'll put you at +90% which is lower than ideal but totally manageable. With the GPSG you want to hold down the trigger to charge whenever you can. Keep in mind you can still run with a charged shot. If you're in cover charging will cause you to pop out so ideally you want to be by the edge of wall so you can charge and then strafe out to take the shot. The GPSG shoots homing projectiles so use the aim button and then get the reticule to turn red then release the shot. You can hit enemies across the map this way.

You also have a Talon which is the best gun in the game if you run it with the scope and piercing mods, unfortunately you need to level up your piercing mod before it'll be decent against armor. I'm guessing that you're mostly buying the premium spectre packs, I'd strongly suggest that you switch to the regular spectres until you get your uncommon weapon mods all maxed, it'll also help with your supply of medigel and other consumables since you'll be getting nearly twice the consumables for only 20% more.

Thanks! I really appreciate the advice, although I'd like to pick your brains a little further on this.

I have used the geth plasma shotgun on other classes before so I am familiar with it. Admittedly I haven't considered GPS or the Talon before and I've always found a Phaeston or some decent low weight assault rifle works well because it allows me to throw out some damage at range and you can't snipe long range with the Geth plasma shotgun. Something about putting out some constant DPS/Distracting fire and something with a fast rate of fire to help versus shields makes sense to me for some reason, but please correct me if this is somehow terrible.

This is my current spec on my Justicar:

http://narida.pytalhost.com/me3/classes/#03PODIR@0@0@A@@@0@0@0@0

The main thing I'm going to change is have Rank 5 on Bubble increase enemy damage taken.

I figure adding an AOE to Pull at Rank 4 could be pretty useful. Justicar is support/utility so it makes sense to have it hit multiple unshielded and reduce the incoming fire the front line are taking from them. This basically means I'd lose the 15% power damage from my passive, but if that's bugged anyway then I guess I should look elsewhere.

Assuming I was to leave Reave as it is with the 75% barrier/armour setup does the DPS on harder targets actually work out as respectable at gold and beyond? If so then wouldn't that technically mean that the justicar could deal with Armour effectively and therefore the main weakness would be shielded targets?

If the damage output from Reave is at least viable then would it be reasonable to consider/assume that the build could work this way and have an assault rifle/SMG loadout to deal with shielded targets? If this is the case do you have any recommendations on good weapons for that? Feels like it's more flexible when I can DPS with my gun effectively from all ranges than like for example with the GPS or the Talon??

Just throwing these ideas out there. It sort of makes sense to me, but I don't consider myself pro enough to be some sort of authority on what constitutes good damage output and such.

• Locked thread