Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

So I've seen Elotana's weapon list and the Googledoc, but is there a place to find out the weird properties some weapons have? Like I probably never would have looked at the Talon twice if it wasn't for Lagomorph's really long post about its scoped/unscoped changes, or how someone mentioned the Graal pierces riot shields. Basically at this point I'm sitting on a pile of guns and classes and not sure what to put on who, and I'd love to just have a general idea of what each weapon is good for.

And just to add myself to the list, I'm MustacheVillainy on Origin, but you're more likely to grab me off Steam as Banana Montana. I've only just started doing Gold games, with rather mixed results, so I wouldn't mind grouping with better people at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

mania posted:

Some days I really hate that actions/sprint/cover are tied to one button. My package carrying teammate when down next to a counter when a praetorian snuck up on us from behind. I tried to dodge/sprint off but picked up the package instead, dropped it, took cover, attempted to revieve my team mate and finally got stabbed in the back by the praetorian. Yay.

Edit: I love the new hazard maps. For the first time ever I looked upwards and noticed that areas of the map were actually sheltered.

Volus Engineer is probably my new favorite class, simply because I will never accidentally take cover when I try to revive teammates. I always feel like such an rear end in a top hat when my bud is bleeding out and instead I just hunker down next to him, getting a closer look as he breathes his last breaths.

I unlocked the Collector SMG last night, and I can't figure out what it's good for at all. It has 30 rounds, so you can fire for maybe a second before it overheats. If you keep to short bursts, it still recharges too slow to be of any use in a firefight, and the actual damage certainly didn't make up for it, even on unshielded, unarmored guys.

On the bright side, I had my best Gold rounds yet, with a group of guys who roamed the maps instead of camping, and just knew when to back off and when to move in. Best part was I got to be a Batarian Soldier (my actual favorite class), which I just assumed couldn't hold his own in Gold (at least, not specced for ultimate Falcon Punching). Granted I only scored third, but I died the least and I think I was helping by keeping everything staggered and clustered up for the Vorcha Sentinel and Slayer to demolish. Is this a normal 'role' for the BatSol in Gold?

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

Well all that's awesome to know! My current build is: http://narida.pytalhost.com/me3/classes/#14PRDIL%400%400%40A%40%40%400%400%400%400

And then I run around with a Pirahna or Graal, keeping things staggered with shots and blades, then Punching when I need to buy time for a cooldown or just showing off. I assumed it was the second part (punching things) that was going to get me killed on Gold, because I just enjoy exploding heads too much. I think I might try Pumpking's build; I don't think I can bring myself to completely drop Blade Armor. This is the one class where I wish I could just max every tree.

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

I just want to thank the poor goons who more or less carried me through a couple Gold games. After embarrassing myself as a Vorcha Sentinel with nothing but a Reegar equipped, I resigned myself to playing a Volus and tried to make up for my dead weight by spamming shields. I swear I can hold my own in Gold... just, not as a shieldless, rangeless class. So thanks for the credits! Got a Justicar and a KiShock out of it, too.

I'm on my last few Blood Pack challenges, and since two of them are the Krogan and Vorcha soldiers, I was curious how people are speccing them now that Carnage is great for explosions. Is it worth taking all the way, or just 3 or 4 points? I don't actually know how tech explosions calculate their damage.

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

Androc posted:

Okay wow, flamer is definitely the shortest amount of time I have ever had to spend getting a power achievement.

I ended up speccing my vorcha sentinel 6/6/4/4/6 because I am a huge retard who can't avoid getting shot up if my life depended on it. But it's okay, because the survivability that bloodlust and full fitness gives you is completely nuts! Now I wish I had a vorcha soldier instead, though, carnage seems like it would be a better detonator just because it never runs out.

I got lucky yesterday and paired with a Paladin. We'd basically charge into a group and whirl around spraying ice and fire, showered in a sea of gibs as everyone exploded. Vorcha feels kind of like a one-trick pony, but man it's a fun trick. So long as I don't have the enemy's attention on me, I can just melt anything in seconds.

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

jpmeyer posted:

I haven't seen any numbers from crazy Russians on BSN about it, but I noticed something interesting with explosive ammo. On a lark, I equipped explosive ammo III in a silver game with the Reeger and the Harrier. When I attacked banshees with the Harrier, I was just plinking away at them and then eventually they'd take a little damage from the explosions. The Reeger though was MELTING them, which makes me think that it was applying a shitload of those 250 damage explosions.

Are you sure that's not just the Reegar being it's usual self? I've been using that gun a lot lately and it seems to be fantastic at destroying bosses, even Praetorians.

I guess I'll ask: is that kind of the Vorcha's role? Boss killer? I feel like I haven't quite grokked either of the two yet. If I fall under direct fire, I go down pretty fast, even with full stacks of bloodlust (which makes me realize how much I rely on the shield gate to save my rear end, when I spend the majority of the time without one), so I spend a lot of time hiding until the mob is focused on someone else. So I try to flank, but if I'm wrong and their attention shifts, I'm kind of stranded where I fall. I've tried using a few rifles and pistols to keep my distance, but nothing feels as "right" as when I use the Reegar, and basically rely on my teammates to clear trash, but protect them from melee range threats and destroy bosses. Because wow does Shoot->Flame->Tech Combo flatten anything. They just can't be looking at me.

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

Semisponge posted:

..Claw everything ever.

Yeah, I wasn't exactly charging in headfirst, but I always seemed to go down if I had the attention of more than one guy. I definitely wasn't meleeing though, other than a last resort. Thanks for this, I'll try shredding more faces.

...Which I guess should have been more obvious, being that all the Bloodpack classes are melee-oriented in some fashion. Well don't I feel silly.

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

I got a Wraith, which was the only shotgun missing from my collection :toot:

I really need to run with goons more often; you guys make Gold as rough as a lazy game of Silver.

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

I named all my Voluses after ruthless philosophers (Sun Tzu, Machiavelli, etc) because they seem like the kinds of nerds who would do that and my krogans are Rash, Zitz, and Pimple. Luckily the krodept hasn't dropped for me yet, because he's going to throw off the whole dynamic! I'm also fond of Battlin' Bob the Batarian Brawler.

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

EvanSchenck posted:

So I just tried a random platinum game, and it was Rio/Reapers. The other three players immediately went and hung out inside the container fort. I set up alone by the other ammo box in the containers. I seldom play platinum and this was the first time I'd seen the Rio farming box in action--does that strategy actually work? All three of them died constantly and I had to run over and bail them out once or twice per wave. Finally in Wave 8 I was bushwhacked and sync-killed by a Phantom while trying to revive them, and without they managed to medigel and chain revive for about 30 seconds before they wiped.

I have to ask, does that strategy actually work? As far as I could tell the only advantage is that Banshees couldn't grab them, and the disadvantage was that packing everybody into that tiny alcove made them ridiculously vulnerable to most everything else. A couple of the times I had to bail them, they'd all been killed by a single Marauder.

A friend of mine and myself practically duo Platinum this way, specifically with myself as a Volus engineer and her as a Destroyer. It makes things way easy because the only thing that can sync-kill you are Phantoms (which she responds to by making GBS threads grenades everywhere), Ravagers don't seem to fire their missiles that close, and it funnels everything conveniently so it's one of the few times I see random teammates actually focus-firing on the same targets. It's not exciting, so I end up watching Netflix, but it's hard to argue with piles of easy space money after watching a movie.

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Unlocked the Crusader and I love it. Am I wrong?

I love the Crusader on my GethInf, it's an all-purpose gun that can snipe and has enough stopping power and rounds in a clip to deal with close range threats. Slap some drill rounds on it, and it doesn't matter how fragile I am if I can literally wallhack.

Now that I'm actually running low on that ammo, though, I wanted to ask. Just how thick of an object can the shotgun piercing mod get through? The game gives it to you in physical measurements, which means nothing to me since I don't know how 'thick' a meter is in-game. With drill rounds, I felt like walls were non-existant, but I don't know how much it was really helping.

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

Trykt posted:

:psyduck: at people skipping either hammer on the Warlord - just take both to 6 you dummies! That way you can deal with every defense type and go between mook murdering/shield stripping and boss killing at the press of a button. You super don't need to take Tech armor to 6!

I did a 4/6/6/4/6 build with him and found myself constantly switching hammers. Granted, I also did the health regen/DR Rage evolutions so my melee wasn't as fully powered as it could be, but it seemed to me that Biotic Hammer sucked for normal shielded enemies. It also felt worth having Electric Hammer when an EDIbot would Snap Freeze a group, and I'd tech combo all of them at once with the splash. I don't know how the game adds damage reduction buffs up, but specced like that I assume I had 90% DR, which I imagine is hitting some kind of cap that 10% more from TA won't help with.

Ironically, I finally unlocked the Krogan Sentinel last night. Next pack had the Warlord. I agree with all the other problems people have with him, but I one-shotted a silver Ravager with Biotic Hammer. It was just so fun to smush those bastards like a Gallagher melon.

Couple other random thoughts: I think the Juggernaut Fitness 5 (speed buff) evolution is bugged. Either a 15% increase of "slow as molasses" is just "almost as slow as molasses", or it just doesn't work. Also, I wish Pulse charges could detonate tech combos, so at least he'd have some synergy with the tier 5 Hex Shield evolution, but I guess that risks making him offensively capable.

I hope they work out the kinks with the Talon Merc. I ignored him during the leaks, but I kind of like the concept behind "variable" powers. I think the dart should ignore the shield gate, or he should have N7 health/shield levels, because getting ANY kind of damage out of the dart means you're at 500/500 with a ranged attack that requires extended time out of cover. Or it should just do -something- else because the non-empowered darts feel absolutely worthless.

In my dream world, they'd just go back to the drawing board with him and make it so it's more about having tools than pretending his darts will ever compete with guns. Have his powerups affect the Claymores as well, since those are fun to use, and make the default dart act more like Biotic Lash so it's used to stagger and pull instead of kill. Make the electric powerup turn the dart/bomb into capture nets or something. I dunno, I'm just thinking less Hawkeye, more Boba Fett.

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

Chilly McFreeze posted:

But they do? I put incendiary ammo on my geth pulse rifle (Update: pulse rifles are still bad) and the siege pulse definitely detonated fire explosions.

Oh! Color me corrected then. I guess things weren't priming or I was taking too long. It didn't seem like I was exploding anything that ran through the Hex shield.

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

Anyone still after the weekend challenge? All I have left is Collectors Platinum and having no luck with randoms. Origin name is MustacheVillainy.

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

3 Commendation packs, 3 Valkyries. It wouldn't burn me up so much except that I've been sitting on a Hurricane IX for 2 weeks now and I want to join the cool kid's table.

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

precision posted:

Hey, rear end in a top hat! You know what I've gotten in the last 9 Commendation Packs? Seven loving Valkyries. (And Crusader IX, and finally a Valiant I). My Hurricane is level two.

Shut your pie hole!

My condolences, to you and your's.

Have they officially said anything yet about future challenges? I just assumed these would all get moved into the Ultra Rare pool, if they aren't supporting multiplayer anymore. At first I thought they might just repeat the challenges, since the first one was around March last year, but then I remembered they were once every two weeks.

Celebrity Ghost fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 9, 2013

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

Oh man, if people are actually playing again, I'm on board. I'm MustacheVillainy on Origin.

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

Thanks for the game last night guys, didn't mean to take off without a word like that but I was getting the stinkeye for being on so late.

mastajake posted:

I assume this class (or at least the way I spec'd him) isn't as good on Gold/Platinum? I haven't seen too many of them around for how much fun I'm having. I still love novaguard and the infiltration unit (for buttloads of techsplosions) but this guy is great.

He's fine for gold, especially if you find a paladin who knows what a tech combo is. His biggest issue for me is that the damage in plat just far outpaces his regeneration, and I rely more on the shield gate to keep me alive, of which he obviously doesn't have much of one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

GenericOverusedName posted:

I've been trying to do silver but I don't have any of the cool toys you guys are talking about and I get my rear end kicked with frightening regularity :saddowns:

I recently promoted a bunch of classes so I've been slumming around Silver regularly, though I like Silver anyway because I can mess around with classes I'm not good with in Gold/Plat. MustacheVillainy on Origin, just pick a class you like and I'll play something that compliments it. Or just follow you as a Volus, I love my merc.

• Locked thread