Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
Did my first match with some pubbies since the DLC hit this morning (while I digested some Marxist literature for a class).

I loving love the addition of Cerberus Dragoons. I was playing my Turian soldier at the time, and while virtually everything else Cerberus throws at you a Turian can just tank through with some cover, the inability to dodge when a dragoon rushes you means you've got to spot them and take them down fast. Good thing to keep you on your toes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

So I haven't done multiplayer in forever, and in the last few days I've done a handful of matches as a Kroguard, Drell Adept, and Turian Soldier.

Most of my non-crap guns are II or III at best. I don't have a lot of time to play. What's the best way I can stop sucking?

(I'm not the worst player and I've topped the scoreboard a couple times - with pubbies - as my drell adept, but I still feel like I could do a lot better).

e: I should mention I've had a look at Elotana's builds and the weapon synopses. Mostly I feel like I need to unlock poo poo and I never feel like I'm getting as many credits out of my hour or so of play as I could be.

doomfunk fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 16, 2012

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Lagomorphic posted:

Try to play Gold for more credits and faster unlocks and use powers based classes so that your limited weapon selection is less of a liability. If your not an idiot or an rear end in a top hat you should find some goons to play with as well since you'll get more consistant results than playing with random pubbies. I've got a lot of time sunk into this game and have a lot of poo poo unlocked and I can tell you that it's not a problem at all to have people on your team who don't have all their rares maxed as long as they help with objectives and don't go running off to Rambo spawns they can't handle. Noone will give a poo poo if you score last as long as you contribute and work with the team.

That's a relief. I'd love to join a goons game sometime, I was worried my poo poo guns would have me as a poor contributor but as long as I can rock a Sentinel or Adept or Engineer and do alright I'm happy. I don't like being a drag on team performance, mostly.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

I am on Origin, as monstrodoom. I think I'm in the old list back from launch, but I went ahead and sent you an invite.

I normally don't get much time to play until after midnight EST, sadly. :(

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Tell me there's a point where looking at my manifest stops being depressing. :negative:

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Also, why is there such a disproportionate weight toward rare data? I would've expected they'd seed at least a bit of the DLC characters, as an example, into the uncommon list.

e: I'm apparently in the top 20% of N7 rankings. People really never promote their characters, do they?

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Promoted my sentinels to get a free respec for them all and caught the class back up to 12 in a couple quick rounds today. Turian Sentinel is my go-to, I think. Tough as poo poo, good with an AR, helps teammates set up or detonate explosions. I've probably played that more than any other class.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Psion posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Shadow Strike kills count as melee, right? Wouldn't the snooze way of doing the weekend event be just shadow striking every grunt on bronze with some shield gear for when the inevitable "ha ha I see you" bullet gets you?

I mean that or a Vorcha with infinite bloodlust or a Krogan just being a Krogan, sure, but I like Shadows.

I think it's got to be a Krogan that gets the gold.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Tuesday. The magic presents happen on Tuesday.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Gordon Shumway posted:

Did a solo run for the first time on Bronze, headbutted my way to glory with my Krogan sentinel. Got my commendation pack right away, which is a nice new thing they've decided to do. I am now the proud owner of a Hurricane III, which is great because I've been using that on my Turian Ghost and it's quickly becoming one of my favorite guns (and the only SMG I will probably ever use).

This exactly, except I used my kroguard and also capped out my biotic charge challenge. Solo bronze as a kroguard is laughably easy. Think I'll do a practice run with silver and then see if I can tackle two gold extractions for Lone Wolf.

e: Also for anyone who hasn't used it, the Hurricane is completely badass.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Gethfiltrator is especially a weird animal. I like handling mine as a melee area melter but with the low health the geth have that's tougher to do on Gold.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

I'd like to thank Zoran501, LynxEyedZombie, and I Don't Remember The Other Guy (Sorry I'm An rear end in a top hat) for showing me a good time today. :wink:

First goon game, of many I hope. Goon teams best teams.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Also, watch how your goon team plays, and if you can help fill a void swap characters for subsequent rounds. Our first round I was a drell adept and mostly just helped clear barriers, second round I unlocked and jumped right into a vorcha soldier and we had fire explosions everywhere and it was beautiful.

Everything On Fire, All Of The Time.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Number of promotions.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

What's a good way to put together a havoc soldier? I want to fly around and punch mans like all the cool turians. :downs:

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Likewise, I did a solo kroguard run and headbutted my way to a Hurricane upgrade.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Even a Hurricane II is a bullet-spewing chainsaw. It's just that good.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Arcaeris posted:

I got a Hurricane V from my pack, but I've never used it. What classes does it work well with? My default weapon these days is always the Scorpion.

Amateur Saboteur posted:

Any class, just make sure to use the stability mod.

Although, even without the stability mod it tears people up. I use the extended barrel and heat sinks with mine and it's still an absolute destroyer of guys.

It really is great on any class though. But-- I should say, I found myself shooting an awful lot more than I normally do, carrying it on an adept. It's just a fun gun to shoot.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

The Scion AI also seems to be very inconsistent at the moment. When they're not killing dudes on your team in one hit they are usually just standing there like morons doing nothing at all.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

That sort of happened to me recently, I went to fire a missile and it successfully fired once but all four of my reserve missiles disappeared.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Psion posted:

I didn't want to ask this question, but I think that's it too.

In my case, it wasn't. I don't let my stock of missiles fall below 10 before any match.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

I am curious about this as well.

I have heard (???) that you can get detonations from havoc punching (with the incinerate evolution) a cryo blast target, but I'm not sure about that because I can't seem to get it to work.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

I don't really have problems hitting things with Shockwave? Bear in mind the distance of your target from you and that it goes pop-pop-pop as it travels, husks in particular can be 'missed' by it if they are sprinting as it flickers in and out.

Once you get the hang of it, it's a blast to use to detonate explosions because of the extra ragdoll force.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

I got a Javelin I out of a Victory pack back in March. I guess that's something.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Alteisen posted:

Just got the turian havoc, not sure about the utilities of his havoc strike, seems like a vanguard charge without any of the benefits.

If you pop stimpack right before havoc punching and spec the punch for bonus weapon damage, not only do you do loving crazy fire burst potential damage but when you land you get double buffs.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Wow, I... really like the Striker.

Of course I find this out right before the game crashes on me for the first time in six months, so no xp/credits for that round. Still, I really like it.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

VJeff posted:

Dicking around with Turian Havoc. Findings:
- Havoc Strike is bad.
- Often forgot to use Cryo Blast. I dunno, I know I should've been doing Cryo Blast into Havoc Strike, but it just felt like it took too much time.
- Havoc Strike isn't good.
- I had to suck down my Stim Packs at a much higher rate than with the Ghost.
- Dying after you use a Stim Pack because of lag is really loving stupid.
- Havoc Strike is bad.

So, yeah. I dunno, has somebody unlocked the secret to this guy yet, cause I'm stumped.

Havoc Strike is Good. Stim+Havoc, don't just havoc on its own. Think of stims as your nuclear havoc strike option.

Remember you can havoc at much longer ranges than you can normally charge at, too.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

VJeff posted:

So, should I be speccing Sitm Packs for damage, not survivability?

I spec them for damage, yeah, since they refill your shields anyway. I also spec Havoc for bonus gun damage afterwards, so that when you stim+havoc, you turn into Rambo for a few seconds after.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Incendiary ammo primes for fire bursts, right?

If so... :getin:

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Semisponge posted:

I skipped cryo blast because I'm a min-maxing jerk.

I put points in cryo because my eyes were full of techsplosions, not the limitations of cryo effects. :negative:

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Trapezound posted:

gently caress.

e for "content": Zoran is the only guy on my Origin list that still plays it looks like. Anyone else active? I hate pick ups.

Bunch of us here do play, me probably less frequently than anyone (:negative:)
I see Elotana ingame pretty much all the time, for example. Put your Origin ID here and I can guarantee you'll get a few requests.

(btw I'll be playing for a couple hours - monstrodoom - if anyone wants a friendly, communicative, and only slightly incompetent Origin buddy).

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Recipe for success on Gold/Plat as a human engineer:

1) Hammer 1 as often as possible
2) NEVER LEAVE COVER

I always have trouble with 2. :qq:

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

It's probably related to the same issue that will have Incinerate just pass through targets and then fly off into the sky while they're standing there like assholes.

(lag)

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Yeah. :iia: Gold is cool and all but nothing will teach you the meaning of teamwork (or dying horribly while your teammates drag you onward to victory, or failing that, utter failure) like plat.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

It's really weird how things are getting to be mostly good now. Like the Eagle. I still can't believe that one.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

zxqv8 posted:

http://blog.bioware.com/2012/10/25/operation-valkyrie/

Looks like we get that N7 Assault Rifle I was wondering about a few pages back.

:getin: It's gonna be a Hurricane party this weekend.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Psion posted:

I might use the Valiant to get started on the sniper rifle challenge because that title is better than "SMG Mastery."

And then use the Hurricane because come on.

I'm probably just going to hop on one of my Turians and slowly march through areas filling heads with Hurricane lead.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

The Graal kinda sounds like a two-step beat to me, I can see wha-chock. My favourite sound for it though is that rattle you get when you charge it up.

Design-wise it's just a really cool gun. I like being able to see it cook the spikes and sort of steam before you fire a charged shot.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Alteisen posted:

Are people just not playing or is my friend list broken again, its showing everyone as offline. :smith:

Well the servers just went down on me in the middle of a match we were totally rocking, so I guess they had a seizure and loving died or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

So earlier tonight I unlocked the Piranha and even at I it kicks serious rear end. Why are so many shotguns really good when other gun categories (Snipers and SMGs, for two) are burdened with so many poo poo guns?

• Locked thread