Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I'm just getting back into this game after a pretty big hiatus. Whoo boy, the Collectors are fun to fight (on silver).

Thanks Elotana for all your amazing kits :aaa: I've been meaning to ask though, I like taking SMGs on a couple of my characters, and I'm stuck between the N7 Hurricane and the Geth Plasma SMG. Can't tell if one is better than the other, except that the GPSMG is steady enough to get through a Guardian's mail slot without much trouble. Anyone know better than me? I'm running a salarian Engineer and a drell Vanguard, mostly.

I wish the Locust were better than it is, it was my favorite gun in ME2 :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Current Argus status: it's pretty cool once you have the stability damper and scope on it. And a barrage upgrade too. 3 bullets to the head kills most things.

I keep getting Geth Plasma SMG upgrades, I think the game is trying to tell me something. It makes such a noise when you hold the button down.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I'm pretty sure they put the Collectors in simply to stop people from stockpiling missiles forever. Not that it does that very well, but I'm a bit more liberal with them now especially if I see a couple of Praetorians lined up.

I've been sending out most of my kits with the Geth Pulse Rifle now. It's light enough to let you sling powers around pretty fast, and you almost never have to reload it. And it's steady. Maybe the Geth Plasma Shotgun'll do more damage but I die a lot less when I can actually take cover in this cover-based shooting game.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Well, now I can compensate for the muzzle hop of the M-4 Shuriken without thinking about it at all. Thanks, BioWare.

Also, I take back what I said about the Locust, it the perfect SMG to put a scope on for my human female Infiltrator.

Silver Alicorn fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Oct 15, 2012

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

It's not too hard to tag along in a silver match with a high-endurance character like a sentinel or maybe soldier, and you get twice the payout of a bronze match with the same playtime. Or you can equip a sniper rifle and find a good place to hide.

Also, a lot of the silver weapons are totally worth maxing out, so if you buy a bunch of veteran packs you can do that and rack up consumables at the same time.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Alter Ego posted:

I apologize to any goons who have invited me to games--every time one comes in, I'm either playing with friends or I'm terrified to accept because then SA could see how bad I am at this game. Even when I play high damage classes and have what I feel are really good rounds (few deaths, not much use of consumables), I get crappy scores.

Yeah I don't think any goons are going to complain about low scores as long as you stay alive and contribute what you can. Also it's really hard to get into your niche with certain classes, I didn't start grabbing the top spot with kroguard or gethfiltrator until I got a Talon pistol for instance.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Elotana posted:

If you are playing on Origin and do not have maxed rares then add "ioshva" on origin and play Cerberus/Glacier and this will be you:

Just played a round with this guy and he is the real deal.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I just unlocked the turian Havok :shepface:

There's a part of me that is strangely unsatisfied with multiplayer. I played through the single-player campaign (in all 3 games) as an Infiltrator, using a sniper rifle (since it was the only viable main weapon in 1/2, I got used to it), and the tactics I picked up seem almost useless for multiplayer. By the time I've cloaked and fired off whatever power, my target has either been killed or moved far out of the scope. It's really hard to aim quickly with the 4x scopes. Maybe that's why I do better with the Krysae.

On the other hand, I've managed to do some serious damage with a salarian Infiltrator and the Scorpion. It's like having everything I like about the Engineer (energy drain) and the Infiltrator combined in one.

Maybe I just don't "get" the sniper rifles in ME3. It seems strange to put one on an Engineer or a Sentinel and have it work out.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

What's wrong with you people saying the Havoc is useless. :cmon:

Stimulant Pack is by and far the best power I've seen. It makes the Havoc like the tech version of a Vanguard. As a bonus it charges your shields when it would be too dangerous to Charge in on a Vanguard. Take the grenade capacity bonus and you're golden.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Alteisen posted:

GG Lynx, Silver and Hobbes was it?

Ignoring most of the fitness tree on volus was definetly the way to go, even at max he still dies from being breathed on to hard, but having stasis at max is invaluable, little bastard just shits all over phantoms.

That said the Volus Engineer still kicks the poo poo out of him in terms of utility, prox mine specced for radius and damage cleans house and the recon mine is like setting off a nuke.

It was me, I was the Krogan Shaman that got a lower score than the Volus.

I like the idea but Barrier doesn't seem to do much good. All I could manage without dying was setting off a ton of biotic explosions.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I set up a turian Soldier with the Disciple as a gimmick, and for the Commando Use challenge, then got strangely good at it. Smart Choke & Shredder Ammo, go for headshots. Marksmanship gets around the small clip with the instant reload. Most things went down with a couple of shots, one if I was lucky, and I ended up getting the high score in some public matches by a fair margin :shepface:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Elotana posted:

Gold pugs are terrible today. A lot of people whose strategy for Phantoms is "run away and let the Drell carrying my sorry rear end deal with them"

Last night it was "get killed 1 minute into the round and let the geth engineer do all the work while complaining over voice chat in Russian." Outscored everyone else 2 to 1 after failing on wave 8. Against Cerberus.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Gave my new Valkyrie a Geth Plasma Shotgun and this was the result:

Having the Vanguard (Cerberus type) around helped too. I used Tech Armor and Annihilation Field mostly passively, though I had both specced out for max damage so they could be used in emergencies. Throw a Warp out whenever you feel like it, shoot a bunch of stuffs. I think this strategy could be valid for Gold as well.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Hey there what's the deal with the Striker Assault Rifle.

Does it home in kinda like the Geth Plasma Shotgun? I've been using it on my turian Soldier with Marks up and emptying the clip at a Brute (without zooming in) seems to do a lot of damage, but I'm not sure if that's me or the guys behind me. Averaging 800-1000 points and sometimes getting the kill. Am I doing this right?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Ehhhhhhhhhhhh I'll be done with it after another 120k. Seems sorta good for taking down groups of enemies though. Just don't go full auto and use the extended clip.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Yeah I'm mixed on the Striker. It's wasted on single enemies, but decent against groups, and with Marksmanship it's pretty devastating against bosses. You have to be pretty close or you're just throwing grenades everywhere and not really hitting anything. You can go full auto for about five shots before accuracy goes out the window, but at medium range against like an Atlas you can drop its armor down about halfway with a good volley.

I'm using the turian Soldier and the Striker at the same time to work on Commando and Resurgence at the same time :getin:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

AlternatePFG posted:

I just unlocked the Turian Havoc class, and while it's cool, I'm playing it pretty much as I would a Vanguard and I'm not doing really well. Anyone have any strategies/builds that work for it?

Use stimpacks religiously, go for extra grenade ammo if you don't want to hunt for them all the time. Spare ammo packs are ace.

Havoc is not a vanguard, but you can still have a lot of fun. I tend to skip the melee and only use it if there's only a couple of enemies around. The rest of the time I use stimpacks like mad, and constantly Havoc Strike and then dodge away.

Cryo Blast is not half bad, and Havoc Strike will set off Cryo Explosions, so you can use it as an opener. I went 6/6/6/4/4 on my last build and it's fun zipping around everywhere. It's not a very high-scoring build but it's really survivable.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Can I ask about the asari Justicar? I'm having trouble figuring it out. I like the offensive capabilities of the biotic bubble, but in my experience it's pretty hard to get it in a position that enemies will actually go into it; it happens fairly rarely when I'm already on the run and can draw something in. I get a lot more mileage out of pull->reave and reave->shoot strategies. Is the offensive bubble just overrated?

Also, for the asari Valkyrie, I have no idea how you people are getting hella points. Every time I try to really use the annihilation field I just get gunned down. Maybe I need to spec for more DR and take a shield boost?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Weeeeelll, for biotic sphere, does it make sense to take the DR bonus at rank 5 to make it a little more useful for camping? That way it could be used for camping & detonations depending on how it goes. Or is 20% DR fine on its own. Just trying to see what I can do with it aside from Elotana's build (fine though it is).

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I really want the geth Trooper now.

Also I went for the "bubbletank" concept on the Justicar and it totally works. With Reave set for DR it becomes a really gun-friendly class, Pull becomes a situational power instead of an opener. I can usually do more damage by Reaving and gunning down than trying to set up biotic combos, though they do have their use. Reave is a worse trigger for biotic explosions anyway, it doesn't have the extra kick that Warp does.

I tried the Scimitar (my favorite shotgun) first and it was not so bad, but the N7 Piranha is even better. I'll have to get used to the shorter clip.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Oh man, the Justicar has changed how I fight with the human Adept too.

Forget defense, forget recharge speed, just go 6/6/6/5/3 and get up close and personal with those powers. Shockwave isn't a long-range power, forget it; you're supposed to run up, fire a Talon shot in their face, then Shockwave. Anything blue gets Singularity, then shot, then Warp if that didn't take care of it. Anything purple or yellow gets Warp & Shockwave. You don't have to worry about Shockwave not hitting when you're a foot away.

Don't get hit.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

The Cerberus Harrier is a great weapon if you like running to ammo boxes all the time and blowing through all your ammo packs. It's awesome with Marksmanship up, though.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

:getin:

:getin:

Looks like I'm not going to sleep early tonight.

Also the asari Valkyrie is a thing of beauty once you figure out when to charge in and when to stay back and plink away. Anyone wanna tell me a decent weapon to use? (other than the GPS or Talon which are good on most things anyway)

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Eugh, I shy away from the fast semiauto weapons because they really aggravate my carpal tunnel. Saber's great though.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

The Collector SMG puts out good damage on classes like Adepts that rely on powers on a fast cooldown. I tend to get annoyed with accidentally overheating it on bosses though. :shobon:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I'm told by a reliable source that you can solo Platinum on a human Engineer with Combat Drone maxed out. In about 90 minutes, with a bunch of running away.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I was in a match earlier with Alteisen and two random players, another geth Trooper and a krogan Vanguard. Someone said "can you guys please use something other than that flamer" over the voice chat. I should have laughed into the mic for 30 seconds straight.

:flame:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Opposing Farce posted:

Did they ever fix the bug where whenever someone on your team used flamer, you would hear the sound at full volume no matter how far away they are? That could get pretty annoying.

Seems fixed for me. Other sounds play at full volume regardless though, like over-cover grabs and hitting a Guardian shield.

Speaking of, I kinda like how in most silver matches I play against Cerberus, I appear to be the only one who can take out guardians in some fashion. Makes me feel like a hero. :unsmith:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I've got a new one. Got a terrible lag spike in a game, and when it finally ended, one of the other players was passed out on the ground, couldn't revive him. But he was still out there, invisible, and whenever he fired his gun, the firing animation would play on the gun being held by his corpse. I love when these things happen :allears:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Human Sentinel gets the same Warp/Throw combo, except you can benefit from Tech Armor at the same time.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

The Mass Effect Wiki has a comprehensive list of what powers set up/detonate all the combos.

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Power_Combos

Not sure how accurate it is but it hasn't done me wrong yet.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

They have to be within the barrier and there's a little purple lightning animation when they're comboable. It takes a split second to come up too, so if you're using it offensively you need to stagger your target(s) before going hog wild.

VVVVV I have had zero luck with that, they lose the prime as soon as they leave the field. YMMV apparently.

Silver Alicorn fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Nov 9, 2012

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

/\/\/\/\/\ Hasn't Singularity been able to prime since ME2? It was the only power combo even!

Chilly McFreeze posted:

The best thing to do is get 3 people with Annihilation Field together, and then just haphazardly fire off Throws and Warps at anything that gets near you. It's basically the 4th of July.

This except 2 geth Troopers/Vorcha and two Engineers/Sentinels/Whatever. (Did that today with Alteisen & Jessant, it was so awesome Alt's internet broke).

E: And while I'm thinking of it, why does the krogan Battlemaster/Shaman have an option for skin tone? :confused:

Silver Alicorn fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Nov 9, 2012

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

It's not really godawful... they even buffed the damage recently! I use mine on my gethgineer using the scope and the piercing mod. Aim for the head.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

That's because you already took my Destroyer :argh:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Ffffffffffffffffffffffffinally. :woop:

Just need to unlock Paladin, I guess? This was honestly the last thing on my wish list.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

N7 Valkyrie I in my commendation pack :downs:

I seem to have a penchant for using terrible weapons, so maybe this will work out.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Well hey the Valkyrie isn't that bad. It's like a Harrier that doesn't run out of ammo very fast. Muzzle hop is negligible, burst fire doesn't encourage firehosing. It's pretty fun to bring the Valkyrie and the Valiant on my Destroyer for engaging targets at different ranges. N7 Lyfe :sicknasty:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I don't know how I got by without Drill Ammo :stare:

With the sniper thermal scope, I can just sit safely behind a wall and take down Scions like they're nothing. I don't know if I would do this on an Infiltrator though, what with the increased weight.

Burning Mustache posted:

It would appear the Alliance has supplied you with a significantly different model of the Valkyrie then me :smith:
Maybe mine was assembled by Vorcha or something ...

Dunno, it's a little less powerful I guess, but having 144 reserve ammo instead of 78 really helps...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

The Slithery D posted:

They didn't want the negligible damage to get lonely.

v:shobon:v I had better damage output than the Harrier because I wasn't constantly running to ammo crates. Granted, my Harrier isn't maxed out. Next up: I'll figure out some way to convince myself the Locust is good on the Destroyer :v:

e: Also I forget who I was with, but I didn't get Death Guard, I got Collector General earlier. No goatse for me :geno:

Silver Alicorn fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Nov 10, 2012

• Locked thread