Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

Pumpking posted:

The best way to use the Javelin is to give it to a geth. Hunter mode, damage from their passive plus cloak bonuses etc means you can do over 10K damage with a headshot. A geth with a Javelin is literally a boss murdering machine.
:stare:

That's with literally every possible weapon/headshot damage amp applied, and "exploiting" weird/maybe unintended multiplicative behavior of certain damage bonuses, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

Pumpking posted:

You can use a Javelin I with a geth because of the extra damage bonuses from their passive but its possible with any sniper using infiltrator. You need the cloak damage bonuses and some amps, but its still easy to do. I havent tested but you could probably skip the amps or a damage bonus if you use a good ammo power like armor piercing IV.
I just don't get how the math adds up. For regular dudes, sure, but boss enemies only get a 40% headshot damage bonus instead of the 250% one. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if Bioware managed to somehow gently caress that up, either.

E: Looking at BSN the weapon damage calculation seems to be a horrible clusterfuck of uncertainty, though I guess that's probably in line with the rest of ME3's codebase.

SirViver fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 18, 2012

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008
Didn't get mine yet either :saddowns:

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008
Welp, still don't have my commendation pack and "a few hours" have indeed passed since I completed the challenge. It's even showing up as completed in the N7HQ overview (though it's greyed out in the past challenges tab). OTOH, I don't really care - it's not like I ever use the promotional weapons in any serious capacity anyway. The Hurricane is a nice light sidearm for casters, but unless you spec for accuracy (via class power) and SMG damage its rather meh. The Crusader would probably be pretty good if it didn't have the built-in aim lag, which I guess was supposed to simulate it being a heavy hunk of metal, but just makes it feel weird and relatively useless at hitting moving targets.

Now, if the commendation packs contained a guaranteed ultra-rare instead... then maybe, just maybe, after playing this godforsaken game for 325 loving hours I'd finally get a Black Widow :argh:. But noo, instead I basically can't use ammo consumables below Gold because all I get is the level IV consolation-prize ones and those are a complete waste to use on lower difficulties. Though still better than character cards, I guess.

Oh by the way, if you want to grind cover grabs, solo as Vorcha on Bronze/Giant/Geth. In earlier waves you can give completely no fucks thanks to Bloodlust health regen and just maneuver around the various cover spots in/near the open courtyard to get grab after grab. In later waves you should first take out Bombers and possibly Hunters/Primes to reduce the stagger fest and also get your regen up before joining the frenzy. Rocket troopers can also be annoying and should be prioritized if they give you trouble. In any case, try not to kill grabable targets with anything but grabs, so keep Flamer and Cluster Grenade (if you play the Sentinel) usage low to minimize collateral damage. Just did a run which took 30 minutes due to faffing around, but it also netted 58 grabs from a single game. That makes completing the challenge much more bearable since it'd take around 100 games just to get that done with opportunistic grabs ever since W/G/G was fixed.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

Felinoid posted:

Really? Because I loooove me some grabs, and I still got Headshots 3 way before Cover Grabs 2.
Just did another "grab run", this time netting me 64 grabs. One more game to go :c00l:

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

VJeff posted:

This is infuriating and I have no loving clue what to do about it.
1. Stand on a different elevation than the Banshee, like stairs
2. Melee her to death*

* Of course, this is only advisable if you have some way of regenerating shields/health.

Otherwise, just sticking to teammates usually helps. Not just because they present a different target, but even if you get grabbed, chances are someone can deal enough damage for her to drop you again.

So, got the Over-Cover Grab 3 medal out of the way, now the only thing missing is Headshots 3 (easy) and Melee Damage Use 3 (gently caress). Did three Silver solo runs against Geth with a Kroguard meleeing almost everything, and a single run nets you about 55000 damage (5.5%) :(

But hey, at least Solo Mastery is out of the way and Geth Mastery is nearing to a close (84% "real" progress - only counting the lvl 3 medals), though of course it's the Rocket Troopers giving me the most trouble. At least it's not as ridiculous as the Husk medals.

SirViver fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 20, 2012

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

The New Black posted:

edit:^ Re: The Melee damage goal, try not using the Kroguard. After all, Biotic charging is only going to sap away points you could be getting with melees. Try a fully durability specced Krogan Sent or Soldier instead.
Yeah, I know, but I think trading a few melee damage points for being nigh invincible is worth it :). I will respec him for better melee damage to speed things up a little, though. Might even make Gold solos easier, due to the insane DR you get when heavy-meleeing with Barrier active. I used the Reegar during my initial runs, but the stagger made it almost impossible to shoot sometimes. The recent melee Silver runs went a lot smoother by comparison, even when standing in the middle of a big Geth grouphug session.

Regarding the challenges, I think I read on BSN that they're working on it, so presumably requiring all medals is a temporary measure to avoid the reset bug. I'd rather they left it bugged but at least reasonably completable, but what can you do.

SirViver fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 21, 2012

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008
Volus are OP

*sproing* *sproing*

E: I love how the combat roll staggers enemies - if only it'd topple them like Electric/Biotic Slash. Maybe a special version for a running heavy melee that activates the shield while rolling forward? Truly a Bowling God :allears:

SirViver fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Oct 21, 2012

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008
Just did two melee only Ghost/Geth/Gold runs with the adjusted Kroguard build and I think it's a rather viable strategy to complete the melee medal. A round takes about 35 minutes and nets around 95k melee damage points, which for me means about three more runs to go. The ~5% points for lvl 3 Rocket Trooper are very welcome as well, which is the last category I have left over in Geth Mastery and currently sits at 80%.

The melee DR indeed turned out to make tanking a lot more chill, but you need to watch out for Bombers in particular. Usually standing in the middle of a crowd focusing on a Prime works pretty well, because it presents a large and relatively sure Charge target, however, the whole thing is pretty much a gamble on DR/invincibility frame timing. If you're staggered just as a full load of bomblets goes off beneath your feet means instant death. I actually tend to go with regular headbutts most of the time; they seem to provide enough DR to max it out together with Barrier, are a lot "easier" and quicker to execute, can hit cloaked Hunters, and don't leave you stranded in no-mans land without charge target (they're all behind you) if the targeting fails and you inadvertently exit the grouphug session.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008
YES! Finally got Cyber Warrior down (sorry, it just looks much cooler than disembodied omni-tool Mathemagician) and I'm just 94 headshots away from Dog of War :c00l:

Now I'm never going to play against Geth on purpose again :argh:. Jesus gently caress. Unless you're playing an generally overpowered character or a build specifically designed to deal with them they're just pure concentrated bullshit. What I don't get at all is why they gave Bombers power invincibility frames. Just hosted as Ghost and I've seen them completely shrug off Overloads several times, and they weren't in "bombing run" mode either. Though I wouldn't be surprised if it's just a bug, since they clearly haven't playtested the Bombers in any meaningful capacity. If your group doesn't have someone who can reliably deal with them on Bomber watch and you get a hack objective... well, good luck.

Actually the last few (silver) games I played against Geth to finish off the challenges were with a Shadow and Acolyte, and I've found her exceedingly useful in dealing with them. A single cloaked Shadow Strike is a guaranteed Bomber takedown, and the ability to get rid of two in quick succession can make a huge difference. The Acolyte meshes great with her as well, stripping shields to uncloak hunters, built-in stunning as if it had disruptor ammo active, and even some indirect fire support capability. Taking down Primes solo is also just a matter of 3-4 Acolyte shots, a Shadow Strike and a nice (for some reason head-removing) heavy melee finisher.

\/\/\/ The Claymore is actually pretty awesome in general, though besides hosting it helps if you have a power that staggers so you can easily line up shots, and if you're not on PC (i.e. medigel button not reliable) a good power that you can use to reload-cancel. Vorcha with Flamer is a good candidate, as is Batarian Soldier. Also don't underestimate the range you get with smart choke equipped; the aiming circle is not representative of the actual pellet spread at all and exact aiming is very much required. Painting a dot on your screen might help with that :v:

SirViver fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 21, 2012

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Isn't the SMG title really lame, too? Like it's literally "SMG Mastery" or something.
All the weapon mastery banners are really lame, but for the SMG one the title sucks as well, yeah.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Hey, I tried my Falcon 9 yesterday for the first time (literally never used the gun since I first got it and found it to be Very Bad) after hearing it was a pretty decent gun, and in fact I found it worse than the Stryker! It took like 4 slow-rear end shots to kill a single Geth Trooper on Silver and didn't seem to have a lick of range.

What am I missing, guys?
It staggers everything (but bosses). Sure it doesn't do monster damage, but whatever you shoot with it doesn't shoot back, plus it applies any active ammo effect in its whole AoE, not just to the target you hit, which is especially useful with Cryo ammo. As such it's not meant as gun for your main damage output, but an excellent utility and crowd control weapon.

Depending on the class you play you either want it as sidearm for targets that might be difficult to deal with otherwise (Phantoms) or as your main gun to keep everything staggerlocked between your cooldowns. For casters the stagger is doubly useful, because it also prevents targets from dodging your power's projectiles.

It definitely has more "range" than maps are large, though of course you need to take the projectile ballistics and travel time into account, so hitting something that's far away and moving laterally can be a bit challenging.

SirViver fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Oct 24, 2012

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

Semisponge posted:

139/250 grab kills. :negative:

Cowcaster posted:

Speaking of which is there any trick to getting grab kills besides "oh poo poo there's an enemy behind the exact right amount of cover gogogo" because that only gets me one once in a blue moon.
If you're going for the grab challenge, don't bother trying to get them normally - it takes way too long. It would've been a breeze on the old FBW, but that option is out as well.

Instead, take a Vorcha (which regens health without damaging enemies like the Kroguard) and solo Giant/Geth/Bronze. Make sure to kill anything trooper-sized only with grabs, unless it's a Pyro of course. Sometimes Hunters and Rocket Troopers can be annoying, so you can use those situations to get a few headshot kills in as well.

Doing this will net you around 60+ grab kills in about 30 minutes play time.

Note that you're not invulnerable, especially if the regen isn't stacked yet. You can take a severe punishment, but the focus on being completely non-aggressive and killing with grabs only, combined with basic trooper fire impacts slowing you to an almost standstill (use dodges to get around) can still get you killed if you're not paying attention. Though a medigel or two isn't really a high cost other than being slightly embarrassing.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008
^ Yep, here's a solo Ghost²/Platinum run that shows this nicely, I think:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrOrxQeApPQ

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

Schubalts posted:

So, what are the impressions of the Valkyrie rifle in multiplayer?
Didn't unlock it, but knowing Bioware it'll be hilariously underpowered till they slowly buff its damage to double of what it is in SP. Then, finally, it will rival the Eagle.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

Lagomorphic posted:

I like the Crusader but to be fair it's kind of hard to use and it weighs a lot. For characters that care about weight it's pretty hard to justify taking. It has it's uses and I like having it but it's a bit of a niche weapon. Unlike the Hurricane which is great on pretty much everything.

Midee posted:

I'm glad I'm helping breathe new life into the Crusader. Hopefully Bioware wont nerf it...

I imagine it's quite a bit easier to control with a mouse than a joypad, especially the recoil.
The Crusader is great on paper, but not quite as great in practice due to the built in aim delay. I guess that "feature" is probably easier to compensate for on a PC than on a console as well.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

Gatac posted:

Addendum to previous gushing, ammo mod is useless on Collector sniper. Wall penetration seems to be useless, too. Go for damage and the regular scope mod, maybe do the piercing mod for extra armor damage but I don't think you really need it.
Yeah, spare ammo mods only affect your spare ammo, of which the Collector SR has none/infinite. Only the recently nerfed Devastator power can increase the shot capacity for SRs.

As for piercing, unless you're playing on Bronze you should probably take it. The Collector SR X does 85.4 damage @ 800 RPM, which makes it suffer from armor considerably more than most all other sniper rifles. Granted, in practice with various +dmg% modifiers applied it's not as crippling as it might sound, but it's still the lowest damage per shot SR currently available.

subroc posted:

Dude, how did you filter out the OP and the Bioware post like that? That would save me so much time skipping through all of the crap over there.
Honestly, no idea v:shobon:v. I copied the link from somewhere else on this pile of turd they call forums. The part that apparently does it is the "&lf=8" parameter - I just tried appending it to the URL of a different thread and it seems to reduce it to show only the OP and posts of Bioware devs. Quite handy, actually.

SirViver fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Oct 27, 2012

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008
So, you know what's really effective? Asari Justicar + Hurricane + Reave + Warp Ammo. Melts through Collectors and Reapers like a hot knife through butter.

(:spergin: incoming)

Hurricane IV (because that's what I have) base damage: 111.0
Racial passive: +20%
HC Barrel: +25%
SMG Rail Amp III: +30%
Expert Package V: +12.5%
Warp Ammo IV: +120%*
---
Total: +207.5%
= 341.4 dmg per shot @ 600 RPM
= 3239.3 DPS vs Armor (Warp Ammo IV has 65% armor weakening)
= 4746.7 DPS vs Barrier (Warp Ammo does 2x damage against Barriers)

Alternatively, replace the HC barrel with the mag increase. Lowers DPS by ~300 but increases the time a thermal clip lasts from ~3.6 to ~6.5 seconds before reload (which is probably the better choice, now that I think about it).

Example solo vs. Banshee on Gold:
16875 Armor, 10125 Barriers
Barriers go down in 2.13 seconds
Armor goes down in 5.2 seconds
Banshee dead in 7.33 seconds (not counting Reave damage, recast, and reload time)

Brute on Gold:
13500 Armor
Brute dead in 4.16 seconds (ditto)

Of course this goes significantly quicker if you have the target standing in a +dmg Bubble and others shooting at it as well (who all benefit from your Warp Ammo's armor weakening, btw).

* As usual for BioWare, they are useless at describing what powers/equipment actually do. Either the numbers are plain incorrect, or if they are correct, they are applied differently than you'd think.
Warp Ammo IV does +60% of the weapon's base damage. If the target is biotically primed for detonation the "+100% biotic damage" comes into effect, which actually means the base +% ammo damage bonus is increased/multiplied by that, hence 120%. If you're shooting Barriers that damage is then multiplied again by 2, for an effective 240% damage increase vs primed Barriers.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

Houdini posted:

The weird bug of uncommon items being rarer than a volus adept is crazy. I checked the manifest last night, and there's mods like shotgun damage and tech damage that I should've maxed our ages ago but haven't even got. :stare:
I actually have recently stopped buying PSPs altogether and subsequently had a surprising amount of luck with gear items, finally filling out the last ~4 remaining silver gears and the new gold ones. A few of the new weapon mods are still missing as well, but they're close to being completed now (Pistol HB IV, SG Omni Blade III, SR HV Barrel III).

Since I've sworn off PSPs my consumable situation has massively improved as well. I think you should only buy PSPs if you're swimming in money and consumables and really, really just want to unlock missing gold/UR cards, but if you are (addicted) like me and basically never amass more than 100k credits before buying the next pack, Spectre packs have considerably more value for continued consumable-using Gold runs.

The way I see it is, you can spend

100k for a PSP, containing:
2 Rares (with chance to UR each)
2 "High quality" Uncommons (with chance of converting one to a Rare)
1 Medi-Gel/equivalent

120k for two Spectre packs, containing:
2 Rares (with chance to UR each)
6 "High quality" Uncommons (with chance of converting two to Rares)
2 Medi-Gel/equivalent

Also psychologically I feel it's better to get rewarded for every sometimes hard fought for Gold match (and even if you don't get good gear you're at least likely to get some usable lvl III consumables making up for what you just used), than receiving the not so unlikely double-whammy when you splurge on a PSP after two games, only to get "rewarded" with two lvl IV Cryo ammo, Targetting VI and Stabilization Module. The Rare/UR efficiency might be slightly better for PSPs on average, but it's those negative highlights that really stick to your memory.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

Two Finger posted:

Something I'm not sure about with the Hawk - is the refire time affected by weapon weight, or just the initial 'turn on' time?
It just affects the turn on/off delay, which is only really there for cosmetic reasons anyway. Unless you're really into micromanaging it, all you ever do is turn on the power at the start of the match and then leave it like that. None of the Destroyer's powers gives any fucks about weapon weight, thankfully, so you can really go all out with the loadouts. The only point I'd turn it off is if facing a Praetorian, as the missiles will constantly proc their biotic bubble thingamabob otherwise (note: any power launched at them while they're in "flying around" mode will do that). Though then again, chances are your teammates will do that anyway.

I'm currently running a 6/6/4/6/4 build with it going for max weapon damage - this gives him a constant "passive" 57.5% weapon damage bonus, which is quite ridiculous. I do like having the grenades as panic- and reload-cancel button, though, so I don't go all min-max on him. The Hawk missiles work quite well as a trash suppressant, giving you quite good survivability despite his lack of mobility, which is the only real negative point of that class, really.

SirViver fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Nov 1, 2012

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

I've never tested it, but does putting a smart choke on a Reeger tighten the spread?
The Reegar has no spread, so no. It's essentially a pinpoint accurate laser (despite what the GFX suggest), and the only reason you can't snipe with it is that it has a max range of 5 meters or so.

Insert name here posted:

Nothing like opening a PSP and having both golds be something you've already got. I mean I appreciate the weapon upgrades and all but you can't say it isn't a little disappointing to basically get nothing new. Was really hoping for the Revenant or Turian Havoc. :(
Don't worry, that's normal, and it's still better than just getting lvl IV consumables, which is still better than the old days where you instead got completely useless character cards - no joke, they were actually worth exactly nothing (once you had all appearance unlocks and the class at lvl 20), so you basically paid 99k for an ops pack and two uncommon consumables.

Part of it could be confirmation bias, but I'm fairly certain what you're seeing is an artifact of how Bioware coded the item randomization; which item you get isn't a simple die roll, it's multiple rolls that first determine which type, rarity, and quality you get before doing the final roll for the actual item. As a result of this pre-selection, some uncommon items are much rarer than most rares, and I believe you're also slightly more likely to upgrade items you already have than unlocking new ones. At least I've seen it happen multiple times that a certain weapon took ages to unlock, but once you had it suddenly the upgrades kept pouring in, respectively you first had to fully upgrade weapons to get them out of the pool to increase your chances of unlocking new ones.

By the way, personally I'd stick to Spectre Packs at first, as they have a greater overall value than PSP's do. The latter only become interesting if you don't need any consumables or simply want better chances for unlocking the ultra-rares.

Oh and speaking of which, a single SP has a 4.9% chance of unlocking an UR, whereas a PSP has a 9.61% chance. Two SP's combine to a 9.56% chance, and if you adjust for the price difference you can say 100k of SP's buy you a 7.97% chance whereas 100k of PSP's give you 9.71% (at least if that one excel sheet with the chances for each pack slot is correct). [/sperg]

SirViver fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Nov 4, 2012

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

Alteisen posted:

It also maxed out my medigel transmiter, how does this thing work? Would it be a good fit for a volus?
If you get downed and hit medigel, everybody else who also got downed within the stated radius (probably actually diameter) of your "corpse" gets revived for free at the same time. It does fit really well for a Volus, IMO.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008
YES! YESSSS! Black Widow I loving finally! Now the only UR I don't have is the Collector SMG, and I don't mind it being that way.

Also the Geth Soldier wrecks poo poo. I might re-spec him for more durability later, but for now I've gone all damage (6/6/6/5/3, except Flamer reach) and this melts Reapers like nothing else. Didn't really have survivability issues either, but I've only played a single game so far, so that impression might change. I wouldn't outright dismiss Hunter Mode though - it gives you situational awareness plus another 32.5% power damage bonus.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

FronzelNeekburm posted:

There was some sort of change to how you take damage in the last big patch, and nobody's absolutely certain what it was.
Yeah, the patch changed something more substantial behind the scenes and things have become somewhat screwy ever since, including: health/shield gate being ignored, randomly dying while seemingly no one being around, and controls locking up at the worst of times that require a heavy melee to fix.

If you're playing a Volus sometimes the latter happens, but with the added twist that you're unable to do anything, including heavy melee. Had it happen twice as engineer and once as adept, and it took about a minute or two (and that is drat long ingame) to unfuck itself, all the while you can't interact with anything other than running around. Only the adept could still cast the biotic orbs, but there weren't any visual effects - you just heard the sound and the enemies took damage sometime later. A Volus without shield boost isn't exactly great let me tell you.

Annihilation field sometimes bugs out as well, causing its effects to "split up". Basically you end up with either the field being visually active and providing the movement bonus (and probably damage bonus), but not actually priming anything, or you have it inactive, but stuff gets primed as you get close. This also usually fixes itself later, but I'm not sure whether letting the field run out contributed to that or not.

Strange and sometimes very frustrating, but I guess it's still better than the old style "you're hosed" ascension-to-Valhalla desync.

E: ^^^ Yes it seems some parts of the game that were previously clientside have been moved to the host. This would also explain the AF oddity, where the speed increase is obviously a clientside thing but the priming field is serverside. Then sometimes the status desyncs, so while you have the field active it's inactive from the server's point of view, and when you cast the power it doesn't communicate the status but just the toggle, so it switches off locally (plus all clientside effects/bonuses), but then gets activated on the host, allowing you to prime stuff again.

SirViver fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 9, 2012

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

Paracelsus posted:

It's already got a large radius by default (5m), so I prefer to stick with damage just to melt bosses faster.
Note that the radius is actually 2.5m (Bioware doesn't know the difference between radius and diameter). Though for boss melting that is plenty, yes.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

Wait, all radius measures in the game are actually diameters?
Yes. I think most of the "range" measurements are correct, but (almost?) all mentions of radius actually mean diameter.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

eonblue174 posted:

This has already been mentioned, but the fact that Reave can be applied multiple times to the same target and each one stacks is an easily missed important chunk of knowledge. Stacking reaves on a dude can do comparable damage to a cloaked dark channel, and reave with area will reliably hit 3 guys at once (when they're bunched up). I didn't know why people liked the Drell Adept till I really understood Reave.
If the class builder can be trusted (regarding Dark Channel damage), then stacking Reaves with the AJ can, if you specifically build for it, do about double the DPS of a cloaked Dark Channel. Of course, doing that would lose you lots of Reave's utility, so you shouldn't actually go for it. The classical build of Area-DR-? will still out-DPS DC if applied regularly, and possibly do so for three targets at once.

That isn't to say one is strictly better than the other; before the Huntress came out the AJ was my most played Adept, and I still like her a lot. Both Huntress and AJ have sort of similar playstyles for me (prime stuff then hose down with Warp Ammo'd Hurricane), the main difference being that the AJ is more tanky, can do higher damage, and can do more and more reliable (in chaotic situations) BEs with someone else around, whereas the Huntress is a lot more solo-/no-team-coordination-capable and less situational. The AJ suffers a lot if you have no one to detonate your Reaves and if the map has no good chokepoints.

Note however, that the Reave damage fact is only true for the AJ. The Drell Adept got shafted in every way and simply sucks balls, no ifs and buts. His Reave has a lower base damage than the AJ's (I guess to "balance" the fact that the AJ passive increases duration instead of damage), but even at max +PD% his Reave does less damage than the AJ's and has a shorter duration, so you cannot stack as often. Sure, you can make the class work if you put effort into it, but it's not by using Reave as damage source.

Alteisen posted:

The Katana is a fairly decent shotty actually, just slap it on any of the Krogans, its light enough that even with the heavy mods on it you can spam your powers constantly while making GBS threads nades everywhere.
Yeah but that is not because the Katana is so light but because the weapon mod weight penalties are bugged :v:. If you spec the Krogan Soldier for carrying capacity then you can take a Wraith (IV in my case), slap on Omni-Blade and HV Barrel and still have effectively 200% cooldown. But yes, for being a common weapon the Katana is fairly decent.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

Alteisen posted:

Should I be maxing out damage on dark channel or should I take the barrier/armor evo?
Definitely take the barrier/armor evo, because...

precision posted:

Actually there's one power I'd take raw Damage over Armor Damage on, maybe Carnage or Inferno Grenade? Whatever, it's a choice between "flat 50% damage" and "65% damage to Armor/Barriers" which is not enough incentive for me to take the latter.
...as usual the descriptions are rather misleading, due to how those modifiers are implemented. "+x% damage" is always a modifier to the base damage, and in most cases rather lackluster, but "+x% damage to Y" is a multiplicative modifier applied to the damage sub-total instead of the base damage.

As an imaginary example to illustrate the point, take a power with 100 base damage. Then lets say your passive has +45% PD and the evolutions of the power itself have in total +50% up to evo 6, which has a choice between "+50% damage" and "+50% damage to armor".

If you take the former, the damage against armor is:
100 * (45% + 50% + 50%) = 100 * (1 + 0.45 + 0.5 + 0.5) = 100 * 2.45 = 245

If you take the latter, the damage is:
100 * (45% + 50%) * (50%) = 100 * (1 + 0.45 + 0.5) * (1 + 0.5) = 100 * 1.95 * 1.5 = 292.5

Both descriptions say "+50%" but the outcome is not the same. The more regular/additive bonuses you can stack up, the higher the difference between the "+x%" and "+x% to Y" will be.

As for Dark Channel, assuming max PD of passive and Tactical Cloak, its DPS at level 5 versus Health/Shields/Barrier/Armor is:
266/133/533/399

If you go with the damage evolution, it becomes:
304/152/608/456

But if you take the barrier/armor one, it is:
266/133/932/699

:spergin:

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008
Well, to be honest, for any other RNG I'd argue the same, but this is Bioware we're talking about here. The truly mindboggling bugs we've seen so far have convinced me there's nothing foolproof enough not to be hosed up by them in some way.

RNG implementations themselves can be broken/inadequate in subtle ways, or the way they are used can break the randomness or result in outcomes different than intended. They've screwed up far simpler things, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if something's amiss with the RNG implementation/use as well. Just like you cannot trust anything the power descriptions say, I wouldn't trust the RNG to work as they might've intended it to work. Even if the RNG is fine from a technical point of view, it might've been something utterly trivial like the fact that rolling one time for 5% chance is not the same thing as rolling 5 times for 1% chance and Bioware not realizing this. I seem to remember back in the early days that when you bought packs after each other really quickly you'd sometimes get the exact same pack contents twice or more, for whatever reason.

I know it's almost definitely confirmation bias, but the two oddities I observed most over time are:
1) Receiving upgrades for already unlocked items seems to be more likely than unlocking new stuff.
2) Ultra-Rares seem to come up much rarer on a maxed manifest than on ones with non-UR stuff to unlock. I admit, I doubt this myself just due to how rare URs are and how randomness works, but I swear, when the last DLC came out and I came back from vacation I had like four+ URs in Reinforcement/Arsenal Packs up to the point until the last character appearance was unlocked, and since then it's been nothing but lvl IV Cryo/Disruptor ammo (just as it was before the DLC came out), even though I'm not playing significantly less (because I'm a challenge points whore :(). Or maybe URs also have a boosted chance during/after DLC release? gently caress if I know, maybe it's just chance screwing me over.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008
Heh, imagine opening a PSP and finding two lvl IV explosive ammo inside.

:suicide:

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

Insert name here posted:

How does a shotgun that fires pinpoint accurate slugs have less sniping ability than a shotgun that fires space buckshot?
It has built in aim delay, which makes hitting small/moving targets very awkward, especially off-host. I'd love that gun in theory, but that little "feature" completely ruins it for me. Glad I got a Hurricane VI instead of Crusader X this OP.

Also, the Claymore or Wraith with Smart Choke are accurate enough to put lots of hurt downrange and even allow for small aim errors. Classes that have accuracy improving skills can transform them into essentially slug-throwers that ignore shield gating, at much less weight and much better aim feel than the Crusader.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008
Arrrghhhhh. We were just about to finish a Platinum Giant match and had the Wave 10 objective done, everybody bleeding out. But no, one guy has to revive himself and drag it out, slowly trying to kite and kill the two Banshees and Primes and whatever the gently caress was still alive.

Guess what? Lost connection to Mass Effect servers. JESUS gently caress

Also, is it just me, or are the servers kinda making GBS threads the bed this weekend? At least for me on XBox they were very stable for the last few months, but this weekend they're constantly crapping themselves.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

jpmeyer posted:

You can get the DOT from a Dark Channel up to about 500 DPS on armor.

You can get the DOT from Warp/Incendiary to 10x+ that on armor.
Actually, if you go all out on +PD% bonuses (with gear) you can get the DOT to be 1180/885 vs. Barrier/Armor, respectively 1357/1018 while Warp's +15% Expose is active. Just sayin'

Though yes, the bugged Incendiary DOT far outstrips even that, but there's no specific reason to use the Huntress for it.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

Ignorant Hick posted:

Alright, I've been out of the loop since before the second multiplayer dlc came out and have just now gotten back into this. I'm trying out the Geth Juggernaut with maxed health and full team support kind of powers. What kind of weapon should I give him? I've tried a few rounds with the Spitfire already.
I like the Particle Rifle with some form of AP on him, but anything that gives him a bit of range without crippling your cooldowns should do fine. If you can live without AP or absolutely must have the +50% melee damage then the GPSG is a very good choice, too. You can give him close range weapons, but I find those make you feel rather useless on long distance engagements.

It all depends a bit on how you want to play him. As a tank/support I don't think having excessive close range firepower is all that useful, since you'll probably spend most of your time life-stealing anyway. Sometimes (or often, depending on your team) you'll end up in situations where you absolutely cannot stop draining or you'll die, regardless of your massive shields.

I'm not quite convinced melee damage is all that important either (the amount of life drain per tick is not related to this, and on the contrary, killing something faster means you cannot drain as long/much), since you're supposed to draw fire while your teammates should apply the hurt. Overall when tanking it's IMO much more important to have a good rhythm alternating between Hex Shield, light melee and life-steal to keep whatever is around you staggered and therefore not shooting you, which will keep you alive much more than quickly killing whatever you're currently draining. Not saying melee damage is bad to have, just not so important to say it's a must have.

What is IMO a must have is having Siege Pulse specced for damage resistance and four charges, and to always make sure it's fully charged when tanking - that makes a huge difference to survivability.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008
Valkyrie IV
Eagle VII
Hurricane VII
Could've gone a lot worse (i.e., no Hurricane) so I'm alright with it :unsmith:

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

Talon Merc

6 tripwire mine for all damage
6 racial passive, power power weapon
6 fitness all shields
6 either arrow for grenade capacity for more tripwires
0 the other arrow.
You should go 64466 for maximum grenade capacity, though, which would give you 8 grenades instead of 7 (assuming you take Armor damage on tripmine).

Playing the Talon is Trip Mine or bust*, but that can actually be quite fun. There are just a few rules you should follow to make him work:
  • Bring heavy weapons. They'll still be your main source of damage, and you definitely need something that can deal with enemies close up. I've had good luck with a sniper rifle and Reegar. Weight doesn't matter, as the grenade respawn timer is far too slow to matter even at 200% cooldown.
  • Play on grenade maps. Especially if you're not the only grenade user.
  • Don't play on Condor (though I guess that's not specific to the Talon Mercenary :v:).
  • Stay out of trouble and pay attention to enemies sneaking up on your back (hint: you have trip mines). Unlike most other classes you don't have a reliable 'oh poo poo' button - even spamming the mines most likely won't work.
  • Be careful when placing the mines. They stick to the raw map geometry and might end up being placed at odd/untriggerable angles if you don't pay attention. Nothing worse than loving up the placement and having to waste three grenades or leave the spot uncovered.
* I didn't try the bow while hosting, where it might not be worthless(?), but off-host it's a complete liability.

SirViver fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 6, 2013

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

precision posted:

I'm up to Geth Plasma SMG IV and the thing is still made of rear end and poop.

It seriously needs a massive buff because right now it should be a Silver weapon, not a goddamn Ultra Rare.
:confused: The GPSMG is Gold, not UR. Maybe you're thinking of the (piece of garbage) Collector SMG?

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

Fag Boy Jim posted:

How's the Collector AR, I was looking for a full auto AR to try on a TGI, and that's the only one I have other than the Rev and the Avenger.
IMO it's the best full-auto AR besides the Harrier and Lancer, though from a performance POV it's a lot closer to the Phaeston than to the other two, so you really should go all out on consumables if you want to make it work well on Gold. Still your best non-UR choice if you just want to use a "normal" full auto rifle.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

The New Black posted:

Not to say those two weren't crap, but the Cabal is a really good gun class. Amazing weapons passives, tough, possible shield refill skill and teleport dodge. Obviously you should be using Nightshades as well.
Yeah, gotta agree with this. I think the average Cabal player will do much better using her like a Batarian Soldier with more mobility/emergency teleport but limited blade spam, instead of trying to go all out on Poison Strike or Melee. Sure, on Silver you can gently caress around using whatever, but on Gold using her like a Vanguard is an exercise in frustration that will just get you killed in a stupid place, at least when off-host.

Of course, not using any powers and just shooting is stupid as hell.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

Dan Didio posted:

When does the 'participation' commendation pack for this challenge become available? After the challenge?
Never, there is no participation commendation pack. There is one gift pack which you should've already gotten (though its contents are equivalent to that of a commendation pack, as far as I know), and then one commendation pack each for the Normal and Insanity challenges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Why go for 4 Fitness and not the +15% power damage from Training?
Because most damage of the Human Adept comes from Biotic Explosions, not straight up power damage. BEs aren't affected by +PD% modifiers, so losing the 15% is not significant in the grand scheme of things.

• Locked thread