Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
How does the Missile Launcher work while you're in cover, anyway? Does it wait until you pop out or just shoot your cover, or maybe even cover your rear because that's the way it's pointing when you're in cover?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

zxqv8 posted:

Desperately seeking Origin wins. Where is everyone?

Probably in private Piranha parties, perturbed by the potential prognosis of perpetual poorness. :v:

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

VelveetaAvenger posted:

I just unlocked the Demolisher, and it gets me kicked out of games all the time no matter what guns I'm bringing along. People hate that class for some reason.

Maybe it's the new Vanguard backlash. Except instead of someone smashing into the guy you were lining up a headshot on at light speed, it's grenades everywhere so you can't even see what happened to the guy you were trying to shoot. I see a lot of people who don't seem to get that Homing Grenade is good, too. They'll spam Arc Grenades at the beginning of a round and then sit and do nothing until they get more. It's another class that can be very rote until you get into trouble, but also very powerful doing so, so all the bad players are probably flocking to it like they seized on the Human Vanguard's invincibility frames (and then tried to play Gold off-host :ughh:).

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

VJeff posted:

So I've come to the conclusion that when you guys are talking about the Typhoon, it must be code for some other gun that's really good and doesn't take three years to kill a single Marauder on Gold, despite being at level IV. So could you guys tell me what this other magic, actually decent gun is, please?

Well, it has been nerfed twice over the past couple weeks, but I think the bigger problem is that you're using it on tiny little Marauders. The Typhoon is a boss-killer. You're supposed to empty the full clip into an Atlas or a Prime, or shred Ravagers and Brutes with it. It's a bit weird, but you end up spending about half the ammo and time killing a single Marauder as you would murdering a Banshee with it.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Allied Goal Success: All players will be awarded with a Victory Pack containing two Missile Capacity downgrades

Nice thought, but couldn't you just...not open it? They even go away after a week.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

UnknownMercenary posted:

They turn off credit earnings for every map except London. :shepface:

Well, that'd certainly give them time for some proper server maintenance, when 99% of the playerbase disappears for two weeks.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Vietnamwees posted:

And out of the 20 PSPs I got last night, only 3 Ultra Rares came out too, so it looks like the odds of pulling those haven't improved either, but at least I got a Typhoon I, along with a Javelin V and a Harrier V. :whatup:

3/40 is 7.5%. It used to be something like 2%. From my own experience I can also say that it's definitely improved, as since Earth dropped I've gotten 5 different URs up to IV, and one of those then up to V, nevermind finally landing the Particle Rifle and Indra. It's still somewhat rare (and kinda should be), but not nearly as rare as it used to be.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Crows Turn Off posted:

Thanks for the guide. Those power upgrades are what I selected anyway, so off to a good start!

I haven't actually played him yet, so it might make more sense when I do, but I don't know what you mean when you say to teleport through walls. Is teleporting just the dodge, or is it the Slash, or is it something different altogether?

Dodge and heavy melee; Biotic Slash doesn't have a teleport on it though the shockwave effect does go through any walls. The dodge teleports through walls (though obviously it's hard to do straight forwards as you'll usually just take cover against the wall, so turn sideways and then dodge), and so will the heavy melee. The light melee is too short a teleport to get through anything but maybe the thinnest of walls, though.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Lagomorphic posted:

Felinoid beat me to it but I'll just add that I almost never use the melee attack myself so it's definitely not necessary for the hit and run. This is a playstyle thing I rarely use melee on any of my classes unless I build specifically for it, so if melee works for you use it. I mostly rely on the side dodge to get through walls, it's great when an Atlas is between you and an objective and you just teleport around it.

A little tangential, but the best objective teleport I think is on Hydra. When devices pop up, there are two potential spots that are practically right next to each other space-wise, but have a wall between them. So if you go for the wrong spot and discover it's actually on the other side, you have to go the long way around T-shaped walls (from the bottom left corner around the wide top to the bottom right corner, or vice-versa). Slayer or Fury? Turn sideways, dodge, and you're right on top of it. :smug:

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

The only things funny about that was people getting hurt. :colbert:

But that's pretty much all it was, so :haw:

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Pull really isn't that bad, especially if you get Area Pull at rank 4. I wouldn't go higher than that on a Justicar, because the main point is Bubble and Reave, but on my Drell Adept I take it to 6 for bigger explosions. When you're opportunistic, you'd be surprised at how often you can pull and explode.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

KidKrampus posted:

Edit for original content: Can anyone tell me the best way to use the Revenant? I love its rate of fire, but it just doesn't seem to do much for me. I know many people love it, but perhaps I'm just not putting it on the right character or using the right consumables. I tried it on the Turian soldier and the Destroyer with maxed stability and rate of fire.

You've used it on the right characters, but really the Typhoon is basically a better Revenant. If you've played around with the Typhoon lately that may be why you're not too chuffed with the Revenant. It's still a good gun (as long as you know not to try moving while firing unless you're a certain race(s?), but it's been made mostly obsolete by the ultra-rare if you can get even a Typhoon I.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Lagomorphic posted:

Vanguards are OK on gold. The Slayer, Krogan Battlemaster, and Ex-Cerberus all work well on gold. The others are doable as well even if they're not optimal.

Naturally with the provision that you host. Well, the kroguard can maybe get away with off-host, but why take that chance? (Unless there are two vanguards in the group, but half vanguards is kinda eeeeeeeh.)

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Anyone been getting bugs out the rear end since the latest origin update? I had my first Blue Screen of Death today. At least it's not a disconnection. :shepface:

I wouldn't be surprised, but with the friends list seemingly permanently borked, the majority of my desire to play is gone with it. It's much more fun to coordinate with people you know than just hope that pubbies aren't morons. :smith:

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Also, if it is worth beginning now, is there a good starter guide anywhere I can use to figure out what to upgrade and whatnot, or is the OP information enough to get started?

Generally I'd suggest having a buddy (or five) to start up with. Get advice straight from the source of someone friendly who's still playing 5 months after release. Unfortunately, the latest version of Origin broke the friends list, so you're kinda hosed there until they get things under control.

For a brief starter guide, all the starting classes are definitely playable. Even the plain-human Adept, with *shudder* Singularity, can be played well all the way up to Gold. For the starter weapons, all of them are actually pretty drat decent with the exception of the SMG, the Shuriken. As such, when you're starting what you want to do with your credits is spam the cheap (5K) Recruit Packs until you have them all maxed out, with maybe some Veteran or Premium Spectre sprinkled in here and there to nab you a few aliens or new guns for variety. You should get them maxed out quick enough and be able to focus on the Veteran and PSPs afterward.

Lagomorphic posted:

f) Pull is really useful a lot of the time. Have you ever tried to kill a nemesis at point blank range with a slow firing weapon? Well that's silly because melee locks on to enemies and a Nemesis won't really fight back anyway.

Fixed that for you.

TacticalGranny posted:

An N7 rating over 120 is basically just dick waving.

Promotions are also good for free respecs, and a couple of previous operations required them. If you see someone over 1 or 2K though, that person has a bit too much time on their hands.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Elotana posted:

This is my BatSol build (substitute the max grenades evolution if you don't have the gear) but all of his abilities are so awesome it's really a matter of taste.

Also Origin is working fine for me :confused:

It seems they finally worked it out tonight.

EDIT: Nevermind, there's apparently still problems with it because it removed a friend from my list while not actually deleting him. I can't re-friend him because we both still count as friends, but he's not on my list and I'm not on his, so we can't play together.

Felinoid fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Aug 11, 2012

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

The bugs are getting worse for me. Another Blue Screen about fifteen minutes ago. I keep vanguard glitching, as host. I keep being told I don't have an online pass.

:smith:

It's clearly happening because you badmouthed Pull. :v:

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Nordick posted:

Interesting, you seem to have vanished from my friends list, but when I look at your profile (using search) it still says we're friends.
Goddamnit EA, get your poo poo together.

I've got two of those at the moment, which happened to include someone that I wanted to do the objective with on Friday. Thankfully if you can organize by some other means (since it won't let you chat with them even from the loving BUTTON on the profile panel) you can still do tricks like joining a mutual friend, or setting the game specs (and your character/weapons if you want) to something stupid so other people, if they even join, take one look and bug the gently caress out.

Mr Dog posted:

Actually, I remembered what it was. I created the game Public and turned it Private. Game search is dumb in ME3 and updating the lobby settings doesn't cause an update to get sent to the central dispatch server.

Oh good, I'll have to remember that. It's only happened to me once, but it was a little odd.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Lagomorphic posted:

When a teammate runs off to die alone you really do need to think twice about going to get them on gold. Often you'll just go from being down one player (usually a bad one) to two.

Most wipes happen when a bad player goes down out of cover in a crossfire and refuses to gel. When it happens you need to either clear the area with a missile or just finish the wave without him.

The only problem with this is that even if a good player gets caught in a crossfire they probably won't medigel either (unless it looks like enemy movement will only make things worse), because all that means is you lose a medigel and go right back down. Good players get caught in crossfires much less often than bad ones, of course, but it does happen from time to time. Nobody's perfect after all.

To expand on the rest, the onus really is on the rescuer to think twice about whether to go in or not, as you said. (Though naturally that's easier said than done in the heat of the moment sometimes.) A good player caught in a crossfire is going to be looking for an opportunity to (relatively) safely rez and get the gently caress out of there, so simply whittling down the numbers, or even just being distracting to pull the enemies out of position, can help a lot more than trying to rush in and get them up. Bad players may expire waiting for you to come rescue them, and get all pissy about it, but who gives a gently caress. Hell, if they ragequit that's a load you don't have to carry next game. At least a good player who expires because there's simply no good opportunity for you to save them or for them to save themselves should be understanding about it because they know they got themselves into it (or at least couldn't get themselves out of it). And if they had medigel and didn't use it, that likely means they had faith that the rest could finish the wave without them.

Felinoid fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Aug 12, 2012

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

HoveringCheesecake posted:

It was a bullshit goal anyway. They are bleeding players like crazy. I mean gently caress, I'm not even going to bother with the personal portion of the operation.

Can't even be bothered to do a London Bronze? Dayamn. :stare:

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Burning Mustache posted:

Hey, it's practically a free Eagle :shepface:

Not quite free, as it does need to be full extraction (and pubbies can gently caress up anything), but a bronze solo's not that hard if it comes down to it. I just hope it counts and there isn't some bullshit other requirement they just didn't bother to tell us about. But meh, even if there is, just call support! (I wonder if someday they'll actually start checking or even if they could feasibly do so.)

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

UnknownMercenary posted:

The matchmaking is total dogshit this weekend. I get way more disconnects joining games from the friends list than I ever have and 99% of PUGs are people with bad loadouts hosting London games. :wtc:

Yeah, this combined with the numbers and the multiple requirements make me think they're determined to make us lose this one. No thanks sadists, I'll be off playing singleplayer so I can make everything explode BESIDES my computer. Right after I get up to 100% readiness because I have to have max assets at any point no I don't have a problem stop judging me.

EDIT: I bet they're just bitter because Canada's only gold medal is in... Women's Trampoline? Huh. I need to go see if there's video of this (so I have a clue what the gently caress it even is).

Felinoid fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 12, 2012

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Vietnamwees posted:

I wonder what they're gonna do to "punish" us for failing this Operation. Perhaps give Reapers a temporary buff for a weekend or something.

Maybe they'll consider the London map overrun and remove it from the game? :haw:

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Burning Mustache posted:

Also from the singleplayer campaign.
And then they will re-do the entire end-game section. And get it right, this time around.

:allears:

With a (short) Mako turret section! And then you control Cortez in a borrowed Trident for a dogfight overhead! And then Shepard hops inside Harbinger and you tear his guts out with your bare (well, armored) hands after battling through all the enemies he hasn't dropped off yet! And you exit via a water slide while Wrex sings a krogan epic about blood! :allears:

Captain McStabbin posted:

Or they'll need extra reinforcements to take London back. All other maps are taken out of play.

Okay gently caress you that actually gave me a chill. I think that would kill the game for the duration of it, though.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Burning Mustache posted:

Nope, sorry. We can't have nice things. :(

Not even the water slide? But...everyone loves water slides. :(

Also, sorry to hear that HoveringCheesecake. Have fun with whatever else! :)

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Eh. They're trying to get back some players with an "innovative" challenge and making the numbers high as a result of hope. And then when we don't fulfill that vain hope because the challenge, while topical, is stupid to do without progress counters, they will punish those of us who are left. Which is comparable in effectiveness to yelling at a child for being scared of you. Eventually they'll conclude that we simply "don't appreciate the trouble we're going through for all you for these operations" (admittedly probably half true), stop doing them, and then double all the enemy stats as a final punishment.

:edi:
EDIT: Unless you mean about their only gold being in Women's Trampoline, which is actually true. It looks like gymnastics on the moon; rather impressive really.

Burning Mustache posted:

Especially not water slides, as per Mac Walters' direct order.

Walters! :argh:

Felinoid fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 12, 2012

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Also Phantoms will put up their bullshit shield if they see a projectile power or grenade coming, but they can't see instant-casts coming so those will only be blocked if someone else triggered it and it's still up.

1st AD posted:

Heh, I just had the most interesting Platinum/Glacier/Geth farming run ever - my Cerb Adept, a vanilla Asari Adept, N7 Demolisher, and...N7 Paladin. The Paladin would just plant his shield down at the doorway to the office while I primed everything with Smash and the AA would make explosions and the Demolisher would just chuck grenades like they were going out of style. It was surprisingly effective - we only once got overrun when 2 Banshees teleported through the walls from the stairs and a rocket quickly took care of that.

We would've gotten a full extraction if the idiot AA didn't decide to try to leave the office at the start of the wave.

Oh and the other thing...whoever was playing the Paladin started playing music during the objective waves, including one hell of an epic orchestral track during the extraction wave. But my favorite was this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgvxu8QY01s

:golfclap: I hope you added that dude, he sounds fun.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

How important it is to finish singleplayer before starting MP? I'd like to give it a run but I haven't seen a lot of the enemy types I'm reading mentioned in the thread yet so I get the impression I'd be a liability at this point.

Also, is the quality of a weapon in singleplayer generally indicative of how good it is in MP? So far the Mattock and Katana seem outstanding. The Mattock certainly was in ME2 but not the Katana.

No to both. Doctor Spaceman already covered why the weapons are different. For the enemies, the only things you need to know about Cerberus you learn very early or not at all (I'm not even sure the Phantoms have their insta-kill in SP), geth are restricted to only three missions in all of SP and they don't explain a drat thing you can't see with your own eyes, and while Reapers you do get a crash course on in a couple SP missions, they just expect you to learn from doing there too. The only thing you really ought to know before finding it out firsthand is that you don't want to be in hugging distance of Banshees. They do not give nice hugs.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

The Typhoon's mostly something you mag-dump into bosses. This makes it good for Gold and Platinum, but it's a whole other kind of thing from the Harrier, which you can burst mooks down with without worrying about bullets wasted on spinup or anything.

radintorov posted:

Well, two days ago I got the Cerberus Adept and now that I got the hang of him and his biotic whips, the game gives me another Adept character: the N7 Fury.
How should I play her? Run around in the middle of groups of enemies and explode them?

Pretty much.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

On PC as GestaltIntellect. If any goons feel like inviting me to bronze games I'd appreciate it.

I'm probably one of the few here who still plays (and enjoys) bronze games when I feel like relaxing, so I'll send you a friend request. My list is starting to thin out anyway with the number of people who are getting bored of the game / having work troubles / having computer troubles.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Lagomorphic posted:

I'm on 360 so I can't help you there but don't be afraid of the silver. If you're a team player and not a complete idiot nobody will care if you're getting carried a little bit. Nearly everyone I've played with that was reluctant to step up to the next difficulty was already better than half the idiot pubs you encounter in the wild.

Definitely. Back in the demo I was scared as hell to even TRY Silver without a full team of people I trust, then Gold after the game game out, then Platinum, but if you just get over yourself and give it a go you'd be surprised at how well you'll do. Most pubs aren't too horrible, too. (Though some of the Silver ones specifically can be kinda braindead.)

Hell, there's even one person on my friends list that somehow seems to adjust his level of play to the level of difficulty, up or down. He plays Platinum like a boss, and can Vanguard Gold like it's not even a thing, but he'll actually go down every other wave on Bronze. He starts out every match by saying "dibs on first death" as a joke, and unless we're playing Platinum (where you don't really have time to track that kind of thing) he's usually right. It's amazing.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

EvanSchenck posted:

Shotguns are also overall the better weapon on Gold because they have very high per-shot damage (meaning less time exposed to the enemy per unit of damage) and ignore the shield gate. If all you have is a mantis, there's not much point to sniping.

Shotguns also suffer heavily from Gold armor thanks to the multiple pellets (unless you have one of the projectile ones) so a shredder mod is pretty much required. They also don't ignore the shield gate so much as it doesn't matter that much to them because only one pellet out of eight will be gated. And the fact that shotguns are also very viable doesn't really affect the point of sniping, which is to not be in dick-punching range of the enemy while still laying on the hurt. The Mantis performs very well in that, especially when you get the hang of reload-cancelling.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Doc Dee posted:

Doubt it, since you have to have the Feedback whatever turned on to get them in the first place, and that probably tells them whether you earned it or not after they look into it a bit.

But try it out, maybe it'll work.

Yes, Bioware has the info. However, that doesn't mean that customer support gets access to it. And if even if they do, they still don't check a drat thing. You could not play the game for a bloody month and then ask for a pack and they'd just give it to you.

EDIT: Also Victory Packs are out so uh I guess we made it anyway? Despite only doing about 30% in the first half of the weekend?

Felinoid fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 14, 2012

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Actually, they've been pretty quick with the Commendation Packs lately. Not that I would expect that to continue forever. But considering how much they muck up, accidentally swapping the Victory and Commendation Packs wouldn't be out of the question. :saddowns:

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

randombattle posted:

Were we supposed to get the victory packs before the commendation packs?

Yeah, we always do. It's a lot quicker for them to look at the total numbers and flip a switch that says "everyone gets a thing" than to go through each individual and check "Does A get a thing? yes Does B get a thing? no Does C get a thing? ...", and it lets us all know that things are proceeding.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Crusader IV, but I can't go play with it because Task Manager just bugged the gently caress out. Normally I'd kill any odd-behaving program immediately, but...that's what Task Manager is for. :saddowns:

el oso posted:

Any way to figure out which maps you haven't completed on Gold for that one trophy? I think I've gotten through most of them, probably missing Reactor since it's such a poo poo map.

Nope! Do all of them sequentially. It'll probably be the last one you pick. :v:

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

I think the new Origin shittiness is causing me to give lag, because I can't keep a crew for more than one game lately when I'm hosting. Hell, one game tonight I watched an Atlas fall through the floor on Vancouver. *sigh* I'm going to miss having awesome ping. :(

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

BrokenKnees posted:

So what exactly was the "something special" that was promised with the packs today for the weekend challenge? I got a tech damage gear and another Hurricane, not exactly blowing my mind here.

A guaranteed gold in the Victory Pack. Most people got gear, but I've heard reports of guns and even ultra-rares (some lucky/lying bastard said he got a Harrier III).

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

radintorov posted:

Wish it was mentioned in the in-game manual. :rolleyes:
Thanks for the answer, I'll be sure to always have them equipped, then. :)

Well, they kind of didn't exist yet when the manual was made. :v: Not that the manual tells you much about the things that did exist, but such are video game manuals these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

radintorov posted:

True, but the in-game manual could have its "Multiplayer: Equipment" section updated.
Still, it's also true that most publishers don't care about manuals anymore: I miss the 100-page thick manuals we would get with sims and RPGs.

Ah yes, "effort". :turianass: We have dismissed that claim.

And yeah, my 260-page ring-bound Baldur's Gate 2 manual and I weep with you. God, those were the days. Having something to read about the game while it installed helped keep you hyped for the gaming goodness that was about to happen. Now you have to buy the strategy guide or look up a FAQ or wiki if you want that same experience, except with a high risk of getting spoiled no matter which way you turn. :eng99:

• Locked thread