Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Good to see the new thread!

Would it be too early to write up class guides? I'm mostly a silver guy but there are a few classes I'm semi-competent with on gold (Salarian Engineer, Asari Justicar, Krogan Soldier) that I'd be happy to try explaining.

I think part of the reason there's a new thread is because some of the old guides were out of date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Don't expect the ending to be that different.

MP is still fun, although currently I'm floating above Rio. On my Fury. At least I'm acting as bait.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

It's a nice idea that can't be fixed with the kind of number-tweaking that constitutes most of the balancing Bioware does.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Zoran posted:

I disagree. If each shot did 5000 damage then the Missile Launcher would be the best power in the game, even if its aim is a little shaky.

That's not exactly a tweak though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

VJeff posted:

Say, do you guys like the Engineer or the Infiltrator more for a Geth melee build? I would think the turret is really helpful, but the Tactical Cloak's damage boost would be too.
Infiltrator. Aside from the bonuses to damage, Cloak helps you get close to enemies to ambush them.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I just quit Geth / Firebase White unless it came up in a Random / Random.

Ularg posted:

Is it normal to feel selfish playing an infiltrator?

Given you're the best person to do some objectives, and to res people, no.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I've watched a small amount of the multiplayer on streams and it does look alright, but at this point is it going to be too difficult/awkward to start in with nothing?

Absolutely not. The starting classes and gear are good enough to get you going.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Yeah, the damage was lowered by about 12% I think. It's still a really good gun.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Ularg posted:

I've been meaning to try out gold with my N7 Engineer. What prereqs should I have before attempting it with pubbies?

Sacrificing a small animal normally works.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Danger posted:

The Fury just seems godlike, are they probably gonna nerf her? I mean, it completely makes AA obsolete.

Stasis is still useful, and the AA is a better at combos in some ways (more damage at range).

The N7 Soldier seems to be a clearer case to me; Human (and Turian) Soldiers can't compete.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Cerberus Adept (or better, Vanguard) can't do long-range combos properly, and I still find Lash problematic in terms of the amount of time you spend out of cover. It's fun and effective, but it's not filling quite the same role. Justicar's similar (and feels closer to, say, the Turian Sentinel than the AA).

Furies are better at close range, but worse at longer range. Compared to the AA you're missing one of the explosion modifiers, and the bonus damage from Warp.

I've barely played my AAdept recently, but that's because the Fury is fresh and fun.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

You have virtually no control over what you'll get in the packs, aside from a guarantee of certain rarities.

PSPs are the most economical way to unlock most things, although if you're still starting and aren't clearing Gold / Platinum regularly you might be better off buying a heap of Veteran or Recruit packs until you've maxed out the starter weapons and got some of the other Uncommon bonuses.

Rick posted:

I don't get what's unreliable about the projectiles, you don't even really have to aim either throw or warp.

The more mobile enemies can dodge.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Aug 13, 2012

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Rick posted:

But warp usually hits anyway and throw will too if you take radius.

It's part of the reason you take Throw Field, but it's still not guaranteed. It happens often enough to be annoying.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Most things that can dodge can be affected by Stasis though, and there's often a big boss enemy to combo off anyway. I get more frustrated by dodging guys on my Cerberus Vanguard than I do on my AAdept.

Plus projectile powers can be used to hit things out of line of sight.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I absolutely prefer the regular ol' soldier to the Destroyer. I prefer more mobility and an instant shield-boost to a Krogan knockoff.

Seriously, I'm really not liking the Destroyer, even with my Missile Launcher specced to zero. Maybe I'm doing it wrong or using the wrong gun...
With a Typhoon and Piranha you can chew through anything.

Mobility I can see, but I don't quite get the comparison to a Krogan; the melee stuff is pretty terrible, and there's nothing like Rage or Fortification to manage.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Lagomorphic posted:

I think he just means that they are slow and can't roll.
I absolutely suck at using dodges effectively, so that might be why I don't notice much of a difference.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Also, is the quality of a weapon in singleplayer generally indicative of how good it is in MP?
Not exactly.

Singleplayer weapons are still using the release numbers, while multiplayer has been buffed and nerfed significantly since then. Plus some of the class mechanics change how you use weapons.

A game of Bronze against each enemy type would give you enough to go on anyway; I'd wager a lot of people in the thread saw things in multiplayer before they did in singleplayer.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

There's still the bug with grabs and slopes / stairs isn't there?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I think that's the case, yeah. Might be a tiny bit of leeway (lagway), but it's still high-risk/high-reward approach a lot of the time.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

duffath posted:

At range dark channel > throw feels really lacking in damage compared to warp > Throw although I'm not sure if that's actually the case since it's been a long time since I played.
Dark Channel is slightly quicker to recharge than Warp, but you miss a damage bonus from Warp, plus a Biotic Explosion bonus. It's enough for me to notice on something like a Gold Brute or Ravager.

But they're both two of my favourite classes.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Typhoon works fine on groups of trash enemies; you start firing and don't stop til they're all dead. It's only when you get stragglers that it's really inefficient.

Lagomorphic posted:

Yeah to be fair most gold groups have at most one really awful player. There are some really bad players running gold though (see ^^^) so the bar is pretty low.
Yeah, I finish a lot of Gold games these days (and I quit every Geth / Gold / White). Getting to wave 6 is comparable to a full Silver run credit-wise, so it's worth it unless you have to dump a heap of consumables.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Von_Doom posted:

Am I the only person that rolls my eyes at the Slayer? I love most of the classes but I just don't like them. In any way. I can slaughter with them just dandy but I get so sick of the constant biotic wall slashing. Either Pheonix I love but the Slayer just irritates.
I hate it too, for that exact reason.

Lash (or Yoink!, as I think of it) is at least really fun to play with.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Aug 21, 2012

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Happened with me with the Phaeston. The RNG is a funny thing.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Two Finger posted:

Did a gold round with my Kroguard earlier. Pretty drat good. Anyone got a build for it?

The two main points are

- Skip Carnage. ABC.
- Rage is bugged. You get the passive bonuses, but not the additional bonus to damage reduction or melee. It can still be worth taking the Melee damage bonuses.

I would use something like this (I picked a Piranha VI because that's what I've got). Rage 4 and 6 are definitely up for debate, but the rest I'm fairly comfortable with.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I thought the RoF change on the Falcon was to reduce the number of shots that disappeared into Vanguard Heaven?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

If I wanted to shoot things I wouldn't be playing a Brogan :smug:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I still wouldn't pick Shield Recharge at Rage 5 though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Feels weird to be worrying about shield recharge speed on a Vanguard though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Yeah, Typhoon works fantastically on Destroyer. I don't have a Harrier, but it doesn't feel like I'm missing out.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

JackMackerel posted:

I'm going to go try the N7 Falcon with a random Vanguard, since its MP nerf always felt more "shotgun that spits out grenades" than grenade machine gun. Someone tell me if this is a terrible idea before I become a useless idiot on Bronze.
It's a bit heavy for my liking, and doesn't really synergise well with Vanguard abilities (depending on the type of Vanguard), but you'll hardly be useless.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

All of my names are based around late 19th century / early 20th century mathematicians and physicists, with female characters getting female names most of the time (Noether, Curie, etc). There's a little bit of theming, partly based on what they worked on, partly based on what sounds right.

Except the Geth, who are COLOSSUS and ENIAC.

Donald Kimball posted:

I'd also like to take this moment to say gently caress YOU BIOWARE for making the "A" button (360) do every single loving thing.
The only way it's better on PC is that you can edit files to change it.

But by default it's even more dumb, since it's not like there's a shortage of keys around.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Sep 12, 2012

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Holy gently caress the Crusader is impressive now. I liked it before, but it's turned into a beast.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The Blue Caboose posted:

I got a 2x ultra-rare spectre the other day. It was Javelin and Wraith :suicide:.
I run around with a Javelin on my Geth Infiltrator. After the change to shield gating it's effective enough, and headshotting people hiding in cover in the next room never gets old. It's not optimal, but it's fun and different.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I'm afraid I'd find myself in the situation, "Oh, I want to make a biotic combo but I'm out of 'nades, lemme just run over to this ammo box and--oh, it's depleted. Lemme run over to this one--nope, depleted. Then I guess I'll use a thermal clip consumable--no, I used them all already. drat. TEAM MEMBER DOWN"
I really wish they'd equalise the grenade spawns on all of the maps.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Why a Harrier when you have a Typhoon?

I'm missing it too though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Lagomorphic posted:

I've got a Typhoon V and a Harrier II and honestly I get more use out of the Harrier. With the spin up the Typhoon is really lovely for taking down infantry. It's great for the big stuff but so is the Piranha and Hurricane and they're both a hell of lot lighter. I have a feeling that I'll be using the Typhoon a lot more after next Tuesday though.

The spin-up's only really a problem if you're going after lone guys; if you're firing at a group it's still effective.

Typhoon's heavy as gently caress, but I only use it on classes that don't care about weight, so I don't mind. Also means I can equip something else for the situations where it's not optimal (Crusader or Piranha, depending on stuff).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Drunken_Pirate posted:

Interesting. Personally I usually max out weapon damage and skip cluster grenades in favour of survivability fitness, so in my spec I get more out of the Reegar. Might try a flamethrower damage spec on my soldier.

Yeah, I went Flamethrower on my Soldier, so I chose Clusters on my Sentinel. Didn't want to double up, and Carnage is kinda crap.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

General build guidelines
I loving love Area Scan and wouldn't play a Male Quarian without it.

Great for knowing what's around the corner, or for seeing where the loving Hunters are. Better for survivability than the equivalent points in Fitness, especially since everyone benefits.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

If I could throw the Acolyte at enemies instead of firing it I'd find it more useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Yeah, I basically spam Area Tac Scan unless I've got nothing else better to cast (or I need to move quicker).

It's obvious hard to quantify how useful it is, but it feels like it helps a lot, and it's a hell of a lot more fun than finish off Fitness.

• Locked thread