Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

VJeff posted:

So I heard that if you slap ultralights on an SMG and slap them on a pistol too, they'll both work, and I guess the OP confirms it. I guess it's double sidearm time in Fury town.

Or I could keep using my Piranha on the fury and shotgun-to-the-face things to death. Piranha VII beats Hurricane I/Carnifex 10, I'm pretty sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...
There was an Asari Justicar with my Fury on a Plat FBG farming run.

Easiest Platinum ever. All of the explosions.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Wampus42 posted:

Become best friends with any other biotic class, especially the Slayer or Justicar, and rule the scoreboard.

This. Guys, if any of you were having trouble detonating biotic explosions last night, it's because my Fury and a Justicar were using them all up. All of them. All the explosions.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Rudoku posted:

They love to kick when I have my Falcon-totting Demolisher, I've noticed. The gun kicks rear end now, pubs.

Why doses it kick rear end now, what happened?

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

What makes BatSol so good, exactly?

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Pull is pretty crap so I wouldn't ever bother raising it to 5.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Elotana posted:

If you want to try a class that's totally changed by the Vanguard buffs, try the Slayer. Play him like a reverse Novaguard where the formula is blast then charge. Phase Disruptor is an even more reliable stagger than Nova, and your Slash/Sword fringe benefits are way more useful than the Novaguard's Shockwave/Melee.

Phase Disruptor has seemed kinda weak to me when I tried it (granted, that was on gold), and he's super fragile--how do I play this guy? Should I still be maxing Biotic Slash post-nerf? should I bother speccing for melee and relying on teleport sword slashes?

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Elotana posted:

Max out Charge and PD, blast dudes 2-3 times, charge to refill your barrier, repeat. You can use the rest of your points to buff up either Slash or Fitness depending on which you'll use more. I prefer Slash since I don't stay in close quarters as much (after I charge I'll usually backflip away and continue blasting). Plus the Slayer has really fiddly melee tracking.

See, whenever I peek out of cover to PD dudes 2-3 times I get shot to death. Maybe that's because I have Fitness 3?

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Elotana posted:

Don't be in cover in the first place. Just ABC to restore the shield gate. Here's a FRAPS I cut demonstrating how you can stagger-tank Cerberus, on that Giant hack where Phantoms spawn literally figuratively up your rear end. (FRAPS also captured my shoutcast station :slick:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XexjmLnZUI

The Eagle is basically just for show.

Holy poo poo, that's impressive. Maybe the problem is just that I'm bad at Slayer. What's your build there?

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

I seem to have a hard time hitting things with Phase Disruptor some of the time. Should I have taken the AoE evolution instead of +30% damage?

Also yeah, I've been getting murdered after charge reaches the target but before it resolves/shields refill a lot. poo poo sucks. I can top-score Silver, but don't do well on Gold. A lot of the time, something comes up from the side/behind and shoots me twice, killing me because I just used Phase Disruptor twice.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Elotana posted:

The key is to aim at floors or walls unless you're sniping stuff from almost across the map. Also, if you're just learning Gold with it, backflip after charging more and only PD 1-2 times instead of 2-3 times until you can judge hectic situations better.

Sounds good.

What do you do between PD and charge? Shoot guns? Light melee?

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Nothing, if you can help it. ABC. There's a reason Elotana was rocking an Eagle in that video.

There's a gap between 2 PD shots and when Charge cools down. I was carrying a Piranha; I guess -170% cooldown isn't enough?

Carnifex it is, I guess. Would an Acolyte be worthwhile for stripping Atlas shields &etc?

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

So does +Tech Damage gear boost Shadow Strike, or only +Power Damage (like Mental Focuser)?

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Synonamess Botch posted:

Neither, it counts as a melee attack. Use hydraulic joints and strength enhancers. Spec tac cloak for melee damage. Use omni-blade, shotgun bayonet, pistol stunner, etc and take the top row of sword mastery, all will boost shadow strike.

I could've sworn I heard that power damage boosters improve Shadow Strike too.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Trykt posted:

They do, you can see right on the powers screen that its damage goes up when you take the passives that boost power damage. Maxing shadow strike damage means taking all your melee junk (except the last evolution of the "fitness" tree) AND maxing your power damage.

So the question is, does +Tech power damage gear boost Shadow Strike damage, or only general "+Power damage" gear like Mental Focuser?

Edit: I've gotten a little better at the N7 Slayer with max Phase Disruptor, but honestly, I feel so ineffectual. Especially against anything serious (banshee? Geth Prime? Forget about it).

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Gestalt Intellect posted:

:pcgaming: N7 Demolisher :pcgaming:

I have appeased the RNG by staying through another whole game of London on gold.

I just unlocked the Demolisher today too. Great for FWB/G/G, but I'm not sure how well I'll do in real Gold games. Probably not very--whenever I have to take on even a centurion or Marauder one-on-one, I get shot to death, probably because I'm lovely at shooting.

What guns do people use with the Demolisher? I tried Typhoon I, but wasn't very impressed; I've been going Saber IV/Hurricane 1 or Piranha X and switching depending on the situation.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Psion posted:

Pirhana and Harrier is a good combo. You're effective at any range with two powerful guns plus your grenades.

I have no harrier. :(

What is the poor man's harrier? Revenant? Saber?

e: God, fighting Cerberus as a melee-specced Shadow makes me feel like such an enormous badass. Teleporting around, murdering the gently caress out of every Nemesis and Centurion and a lot of phantoms. Shadow Strike->Heavy Melee, dead Phantom... unless they dodge. I wish the melee tracked better.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Lagomorphic posted:

It's good.I did a writeup for it there's a link in the second post of this thread. Also someone posted a video a few pages back of the Slayer going balls out.

Edit: Found the video, Elotana did it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XexjmLnZUI

I could swear that that phase disruptor is firing faster than mine does.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Fingers McLongDong posted:

What is regarded as the best shadow build? I know there was discussion about shadow strike damage earlier. Whats the consensus?

I'm absolutely poo poo at Infiltrator generally, but a melee-specced Shadow makes me feel like an absolute loving badass against Cerberus. The big deal is Additional Power Use and +Duration evolutions on Tactical Cloak.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Okay, using a Power Damage IV consumable makes me feel like a badass while playing the Slayer. Maybe that's what I've been missing all along? That makes Phase Disruptor actually hardcore!

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Chilly McFreeze posted:

I did notice that Annihilation Field still damages enemies even after you're dead. So maybe I'll try out some strategic dying next time.

Killing Phantoms with AF after I've died near them is the best thing.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

TheDK posted:

Unlocked the N7 Shadow last night. Seems like a lot of fun but I need to learn how to not die with it.
Don't Shadow Strike the second time and pop yourself out of Cloak in the middle of a whole bunch of enemies. Shadow Strike a guy who's off on his own, near cover you can use, or back around a corner and Electric Wave, or etc.

Tactical Cloak should have Duration, Melee Damage, Bonus Power.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Ahhahaha, everything said about the Kroguard is true. I just played a match with two other Kroguards and a Male Quarian Infiltrator against Geth. It was amazing and I could just charge and melee and spray Reegar and melee some more. At one point I took on a geth prime, a pyro, and two rocket troopers, alone, with charge and melee, killing most of the minor ones and damaging the prime, until the others came along and helped finish it.
Final score was something like 160k one Kroguard, 80k for me and the other one, and 40k for the Quarian.

Edit: That Cyclonic Modulator IV consumable may ahve had something to do with it.

LogicNinja fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Sep 11, 2012

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Drellgineer? Streak across the map, leaving a trail of grenade explosions in your wake.

Nothing is more exciting than Batarian Vanguard, though.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

I don't get the freaking out about Volus. They are an entire species, guys. They may have to rent Turian protection as a whole, but somewhere among the millions of Volus there's gotta be a few hardcore badasses.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Felinoid posted:

Who promptly die the moment they take a single shot. No amount of badass-ness can save you from explosive decompression and an incompatible atmosphere. Quarians also have an issue, but it's not nearly so pronounced. Even if they were to die from an infection, it'd probably take longer than the duration of a match, so they'd likely be able to hold it together until extraction and then die on the way to medical treatment.
I'm pretty sure if Scifi Technology can explain Blue-Glowing Space Wizards, it can explain Volus Vanguards.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

This all seems great enough I think I'm going to give Bioware money when I get home. Well played, Bioware.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Zoran posted:

Snap Freeze and Incinerate can set off combos. :stare: They will chain off of each other against every enemy in the game. Snap Freeze exhibits the same behavior with Fire Explosions as it does with Tech Bursts, in that the Fire Explosion will be centered on your character.
...how do I respec my Paladin to take advantage of this?

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Zoran posted:

don't take the +100% to chilled targets evolution on Incinerate because it doesn't work with Snap Freeze.

Aww... does it work with Cryo Ammo?

As for 6/6/6/4/4, how do you spec Energy Drain? I find that unless I go for both damage evolutions (at the cost of Radius and 40% damage reduction) I just don't do that much damage to shields.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

EvanSchenck posted:

If you spec hunter mode for Power Recharge->Power Damage->Speed and Vision, and Fortification for Durability->Power Synergy->Power Recharge, you'd have a build that partly made up for the shield loss from hunter mode, entirely balanced out the slowed power usage from fortification, and had a native bonus of 45% to power damage on that flamethrower before taking gear into consideration, while being super fast and able to see through walls. I guess if your objective was to find a way to make a class as broken as the Gethfiltrator, that sounds like a pretty good whack at it. Throw a Power Amp IV and an engineer kit gear on that and really go to town.

Is the lead dev for the Multiplayer component a Geth superfan, or something? Because the Geth are simultaneously the most lethal enemy group in MP, and they have the most cheesily overpowered playable class.

Does... does Flamer work through walls?

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Adrian Owlsley posted:

What the actual gently caress is with the fire explosion change? Now instead of a nice skill thing that's challenging to pull off they're just another biotic/tech burst? Why on earth does the game need another instead of something actually unique?

To make tech bursts/biotic explosions not dramatically superior to fire bursts/cryo explosions?

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Zoran posted:

Hey guys, I updated this post with some findings.

Wait, wait, so... I can Incinerate something, charge up, snap freeze it, and... that'll fire explosion its buddies?

Dude.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Zoran posted:

And then you can Incinerate anything that got hit by Snap Freeze to Cryo Explosion them.

Edit: Holy poo poo I've played this game almost 300 hours.

I'm going to get murdered so hard charging into mobs trying to explode them all.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

I unlocked both the Turians. Not really sure what to do with them.

The Havoc I specced for melee, not realizing that Havoc Strike isn't Biotic Charge. Havoc Strike-> Heavy Melee is fun and all, but I die so much and so fast.

The Ghost... that makes more sense, just cloak->overload->ratatatatatat. I did unlock the harrier, which is pretty nice here, but oh god my lack of ammo.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Just tried the new paladin. HOLY poo poo, DEM EXPLOSIONS.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

There's gotta be a way to make a Turian Havoc melee build work, right? Am I just not equipping grenade gear V and eating Stimpacks enough, or not gettting out after havoc strike->heavy melee? On Silver it's kind of OK, but I'm still dying all the time. I guess Stimpack More and hit ammo boxes up nonstop really is the answer?

(Boss types present kind of a challenge also. Shoot those, I guess! Harrier might work on this guy, between using ammo packs to refill stimpacks and mostly meleeing...)

BTW, havoc strike: all top, or AoE for the last evolution?

Really, the hardest part is figuring out where the hell I am in relation to enemies after jumping around with havoc strike/heavy melee/dodge.

LogicNinja fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 10, 2012

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

Take Rocket troopers against a Fury. If the game decides that that Trooper is going to dodge my Throw, (which happens really frequently) they'll dodge my Throw automatically

Do you have Throw specced for Radius? If not, spec it for Radius. This used to bug me, now I give no shits about geth dodges.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Androc posted:

I'm surprised, no cryo shield? I was under the impression that stacking the armor weakening from cryo shield and snap freeze was one of the paladin's strongest gimmicks.

Well, Energy Drain for survivability is a staple, and you definitely want it to 6 either for more anti-shield damage or for 40% damage reduction. You just can't skip out on Snap Freeze. You can't skip Incinerate since the fire/cryo explosion changes. So to get Cryo Shield, you'd need to ditch the class passive entirely. That might actually be worthwhile now that your damage comes from various kinds of techsplosions, I guess...

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Burning Mustache posted:

Man, Gold Collectors really gently caress up your poo poo.
I take it Collectors are the new Reapers then?
Whoever said silver Collectors feel like Gold was right.

quote:

With all the new classes and their increased survivability (hello Turians), Reapers are basically just huge bullet sponges, but Collectors really gently caress you up in all kinds of fun ways.
Reapers feel like the easiest enemies now, which is weird. Maybe it's just because loving Dragoons keep dogpiling me on small maps, gently caress those bullshit things.

On the other news, holy poo poo improved Paladin. So much tech bursting. ALL OF THE TECH BURSTING.

Right now I have him specced 6/6/6/4/4. What do people think about going 6/6/6/0/6 to get Cryo Shield? I think the loss of 30% power damage would cripple Energy Drain and general damage output a little too much, even if most of it does come from bursts now...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Semisponge posted:

6/6/6/4/4 is totally great now, but if you must have cryo shield then go 6/4/6/4/6. Incinerate mostly exists to get techsplosions and cryo shield is pretty much the only thing that freezes Phantoms. Personally, I don't think it matters much unless you plan on meleeing all the time.
I spam techsplosions so much now I don't want to weaken them, though. I guess I'll live without Cryo Shield.

• Locked thread