Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
Is it just me, or did they put the charge time back on the Acolyte's shots recently? :saddowns: Makes it about as useful as a Krysae now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

UnknownMercenary posted:

Don't say things you can't take back.

I have no intention of doing so. The Krysae and I really do not get along at all. That being said, I guess I'll give the Acolyte another shot in some lower difficulty games and see if I can't re-establish a rhythm with it.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

precision posted:

Basically Collectors are buggy as poo poo.

No pun intended, I see.

So, on the topic of Carnifexes, about what level does the Paladin supersede it as a sniper-handcannon? I've got the Paladin 2 right now which still has a better damage output, but it's heavier than half of the back-up weapons I usually use (Disciple, UL SMG's, Eviscerator etc.). Does it get any noticeably lighter relatively, or is it going to be a strictly non-power reliant class weapon as I get its cards?

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Nordick posted:

I think I might do this op as a "Back to basics" kinda thing. Human soldier with an Avenger, no equipment, bronze. Just for a change of pace, you know?

Not half a bad idea, actually. Just common weapons, though, it's about time I actually used the Mantis.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Crusader VII. Happy days indeed. Though I wish I'd get the last couple of Valiants I need to get it out of the roulette.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Burning Mustache posted:

What is wrong with you

But seriously, I don't really have a problem with most maps at this point. Even Reactor has become tolerable. It still sucks when you picked a sniping class and end up on Reactor, but what can you do. Similarly, Hydra can be a bit of a bitch if you didn't pick a sniping class or if you picked something like the Fury.

Condor, however, is just a huge pain in the rear end no matter what. You'll get your rear end kicked by Ravagers / Scions / any Geth and pretty much any trooper / mid-tier enemy across the entire map due to the lack of proper cover, its color palette isn't exactly helping either (double so if you're playing a Geth with Hunter Vision), the ammo boxes are terrible for grenade classes, ...
Honestly, the only thing that map has going for it is the skybox :colbert:

Don't forget trying to snipe on Glacier normal or Hazard, that's always a nightmare. But actually, I'm with Conquistador. My usual group off-SA does perfectly fine on Condor bunkering down by the mining equipment or the metal gantry above the extraction zone. Maybe because we know how each other plays by rote and how to cover each others flaws, sure, but:

For example, the mining site at least forces the enemies into three areas you can set up kill boxes on, the hill sloping down, the base of both ramps and that arch connecting to the spawn area. Get a team of turret deployers together, AOE power spammers or even one Volus running round shield boosting the rest and you can keep them back and grind them down before they start clumping up and still have decent cover against your lane while other people cover yours. Yes, running drones and doing devices is a bitch on Condor, but if you know what likely routes the drones will take, you can have someone hang back from the drone and keep the field clear as you move forward. Most of the devices are also in places where at least your team-mates can take cover to assist you (except that walkway above the path leading from spawn to mining equipment, that's a bastard). I don't know about 'no proper cover' either, the APCs around the extraction site usually do the job just fine and the metal gantry above it has enough protection on it's upper level to make a two-man killbox out of the lower part as long as you have one pair covering the hill behind you. I've already mentioned why the mining area worked fine for us. And most of the static objective areas are actually OK with four people, again excepting the bunker walkway above the lower straight. The colour palette... is indefensible. You're bang on there (it's not just Hunter Vision, either, try playing as the Armiger turians after popping their stim packs. It all melts into a beige mess for me).

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Yeah, that does have a good deal to do with it, the Disciple's just not that good versus armour even with piercing (in my experience). Having said that, I found the asari vanguard to be at least alright against Cerberus. Stasis-ing targets before you charge them for the explosions, particularly Engineers or Nemeses (or Phantoms without barriers if you set it up right) worked great, though you had to keep an eye out for Dragoons and Atlases for obvious reasons.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Aren't the geth guns all awful though? Like for anything aside from just pasting ammo effects.

The geth shotgun's great for forcing staggers on enemies, which is more useful than it sounds, and the Javelin's actually (IMO) a solid alternative to the Widow. The rifle and SMG are nothing but ammo power appliers, though, particularly seeing as using any power whilst firing screws over their rapid fire mechanic.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Oh yeah forgot about the geth shotgun. Is that a better choice than the Piranha for a geth flamer?

Eh. If you're only taking the GPS and don't mind the charging mechanic, it works, but I'd personally go for the Piranha any day.

Batham posted:

Should I stick to PSP's or go for Arsenal/Reserves packs?

Depends on if you have a lot of gaps in either weapons or character manifests. If you've got a relatively similar rate of missing items, I'd stick with the PSP's. That way you get less irritated when the higher chance inevitably doesn't work out.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

UnknownMercenary posted:

A Crusader IX. :geno:

Hey, at least you're one more commendation pack upgrade away from finishing it. I got the Valkyrie III in mine :saddowns:

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Burning Mustache posted:

Well that's weird. I'm in Austria and both buttons show up for me right now (in fact I just took that screenshot).
It could still be related to that as maybe the UK has their own support center whereas we get redirected to one in India or whatever, no idea.

I'm pretty much out of ideas then, sorry :\
Again, I think live chat is probably your best bet for getting the issue resolved, but I have no idea how to actually initiate live chat if Origin won't let you.

Definitely give that Twitter option a try though!

The UK never gets live-chat anymore, sadly. Not sure why; I know we had it when ME3 first came out because the first time my online pass crapped out I got a livechat solution. However, I can second the Twitter suggestion, they fixed the problem in about an hour and a half with no difficulty at all after I'd waited a week on the email route.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

The background to the hammer krogan shot looks like Illium/Goddess to me - so clearly he's the new hazard!

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, you still get the X% reduction in armour mitigation with your shots added on irrespective of a gun's innate materiel-piercing, so it'll be much better at killing those targets (it helps a great deal with Banshees and Atlases to slap a piercing mod on a Widow just for the sudden jump in damage IMO). I'm fairly sure in the case of the AM rifles the piercing mods also boost how much solid material the shot penetrates, so it can be pretty handy for getting people out from behind full cover.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

1st AD posted:

Any and every class should use the Hurricane. It's such a good gun and doesn't weigh much even if you don't use ULM. Just slap on a High Velocity Barrel and a Heat Sink and spray the poo poo out of everything.

Why the heat sink over the magazine expansion? Perhaps it's just confirmation bias, but I've always found a 70% bigger magazine lasts longer than a normal sized one with a 45% chance per shot of not 'counting'.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Houdini posted:

If the rumour of the bloodpack smg being in mp is true, that thing is awesome on a vanguard. Plus it has armour piercing built in. I imagine the quarian assault rifle will get nerfed so bad it'll be pointless.

The Blood Pack pistol (executioner?) could be fairly good on a vanguard too, given that it's even more of a pocket shotgun than the Talon.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Unlocked the Crusader and I love it. Am I wrong?

No, it's a wonderful thing. It's a slug-throwing shotgun rather than most of the others, so it does take a little adjustment, but you can actually snipe people with it relatively easily once you get to grips with it and still do what you want with any other shotgun.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

New weekend operation details:

quote:

Operation: NIGHTFALL (Feb 8th-10th)

Event Description: Our concentration on Reapers and Cerberus forces has allowed Reaper-controlled geth to flourish in pockets outside of the Perseus Veil. Our quarian-led and quarian-advised forces will be the key to terminating a geth offensive before it gains ground.

Individual Goal: Playing as any quarian kit, earn 50,000 points versus geth troopers.

Reward: Commendation Pack

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Badfinger posted:

Can you even take grenades if you have no grenade capacity?

Not last time I checked, and certainly when I solo as a non-grenade class, I leave grenades behind after emptying ammo boxes of clips.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Psion posted:

I would love it if I had a Nemesis class. Give it a class power that emulates their drat sniper shot, i.e. laser sniper shot that utterly obliterates the target shields? It'd be like the Ultimate Overload.

Make sure the power also has a chance of triggering without charge time or warning when you stand up out of cover to emulate the true Nemesis experienceTM! That's why I hate fighting Cerberus on Platinum these days, cheesy drat Nemeses knocking out my shields whenever I so much as try and do anything whilst not standing behind a brick wall against their own rules.

E: ^^^ And yes, but often when that does happen they all cluster either themselves or their turrets together in the range of a single lift grenade. Fun times ensue (particularly seeing as they also 'hunt' in close packs if their turret is on cooldown or if you're close enough to make them try and rush you. More grenading).

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

UnknownMercenary posted:

You don't need to see the heads to start shooting them so long as your gun can pierce cover, either through weapon mods or having AP ammo equipped. When you do enough damage the Praetorian will stagger backwards and fall onto its back for a few seconds.

I've also found the doors covering the heads will break after a bit of continued damage meaning you no longer need piercing weapons to hit them. Also, Hurricane VI :toot:

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Houdini posted:

The Katana is the only weapon to have a unique equipping sound. :v:

Nope, the Blood Pack pistol has a vorcha snarl when you draw it. Makes it completely worthwhile. :smuggo:

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

We did not need EDI in MP. At all. Just putting my one gripe there before just jumping for joy about everything else in those DLCs. OK, I was wrong about MC Krogan, but drat if the physics on that hammer is as fun as I hope it's going to be :D Oh, and Geth Jugger / Female Turians are great to see too.

EDIT: Not seeing any mention of new maps in Reckoning, though, which I hope is just an oversight.

Serpentis fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 21, 2013

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Sincere apologies to whoever Buck Rodgers is on Origin, I'm cold-ridden and was playing with a few off-site friends of mine who probably would have been better on Silver :shrug:

Well, if the Juggernaut's old power is the Geth Turret and one of his new powers is a health/shield restore (going off what Fagnan's given us) the third power's probably going to be either direct damage of some kind or something like Fortification, just to make him a complete brick (...geth-brick?) wall.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Elotana posted:

How would a shield restore be a new power at all given Shield Boost and Stimulant Pack

Well, given the thread says pretty implicitly the Jugger's only got one old power and it's the Geth Turret, it's not going to be a clone of those two, is it? There's probably some perk to it they'll give the power to make it stand out.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Valk IV. God drat it.

Still, at least it sets the tone for the new DLC packs nicely :shepicide:

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

And of course, the day Reckoning comes out, ME3 totally shits itself due to some kind of cloud error and I'm going to have to reinstall the entire drat thing. :sigh:

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Monolith. posted:

6/6/0/6/6

2300/4600 plus Stronghold Package V.

That and sync-kill immunity sounds like a wonderful Platinum build to say the least.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

So finally got the game working again, got the EDI-Bot and Krogan Warlord in my gift pack and what credit reserves I had stored up. Gave the krogan a whirl against Geth given what people said on here. :getin: Hammering Primes to death is one of the greatest things you can do in a game. Regarding the new guns, I never really gave the Scorpion or Venom a whirl in SP and finally got the Scorpion in the pack binge. Is it an ammo applier like the Striker or is it actually good in its own right?

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

The Slithery D posted:

But Banshee warps still go through it for some reason. Does it have an AOE?

In my experience, yes (though only one just big enough to hit you through cover), which would explain how it was getting through the hex shield.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Alright, I guess if I'm ever going to get into Plat, it may as well be when there's a challenge for it. CDN_Serpentis on Origin. Apologies in advance for any scrubness.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Hurricane VIII in my insanity box. Not bad at all. Turns out the Jugger specced completely for health (0/6/6/6/6, bottom all the way in geth hardware)at least has a decent chance of surviving on Plat (when you don't miss the heavy melee cues, that is). Thanks to Lynx Tau and Paine who pretty much carried me through that, I'm going to go stomp on Bronze a bit to unwind...

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Dr. Abysmal posted:

and just never touch the Krysae.

Which is pretty much always a sound idea.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Hornet with Stability mod isn't bad, is it?

Not at all, but the trouble is that you can just slap a Stab mod on a Hurricane and pretty much out-do it in every way. That being said, at short range the Hurricane doesn't need it, so I guess you could make the case for a Stab Hornet being a much better long-range SMG.

^ And the Collector SMG is a nice surprise now I've finally got a couple of cards for it. It's accurate enough to shoot through a Pyro's head and hit the fuel tank and/or headshot murder a Dragoon with not many rounds if you slap a Piercing barrel on it (and mag expansion for the other slot just because it's a heatsink gun).

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Ligur posted:

Hey guyz, suggest me a fun weapons class to play, or something that's at least not power only with a single light weapon throw in for good measure? The human adept with max singularity/warp/shockwave was extremely satisfying, because the sound of the bionic boom is so very very pleasing. But now I'm tired of playing human engy/adept/vanguard. I also finally got some other guns than Phalanx X and loving Argus and have about half of the characters unlocked.

N7 Destroyer, Krogan Sentinel, Batarian Soldier/Sentinel are the first few I think of, and I imagine others here will have more. Most Soldiers fit the bill, really, but most classes with combinations of powers that are either passive (say, tech armour/fortification) or grenade-based work just fine.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

GenericOverusedName posted:

I just love how enemies always seem to dodge your warps, but when you try to dodge a banshee's warp and it appears to miss it'll still end up registering as hitting you :argh:

It has a ridiculous AOE that does a tiny amount of tick damage even through cover, I've noticed. Not as bad as getting hit by the warp itself, but on Gold even that tick will kill you directly or not pretty sharp :(

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

37 promotions, and a lot of turian and asari waves to play ... welp.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Felinoid posted:

Well, you don't have to do all of them, but you do have to do most. At least if you're going for BotB.

Yeah, that's the issue, compounded by the fact I just didn't play turians or asari much when I had krogans and quarians available instead. So, yeah. At least Outsider's fun enough to do with the Collector and Volus pinball Vanguard.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Smol posted:

How do you play the Awakened Collector? I just tried him for the first time for (levels 1-18 on gold) and I wasn't really that impressed. Dark Sphere -> Dark Channel -> Detonate Dark Channel with Seekers -> Detonate Dark Sphere works all right, I guess, but the long cooldowns on everything make it a bit challenging to use, unless you manage to find a fresh spawn.

Dark Channel -> Detonate it with Seekers also worked all right against mooks, but it kinda lacks in the damage department, due to the lack of biotic combo damage evolutions in both skills.

(Probably didn't help that I was grinding my Collector SMG challenge at the same time; that thing is only level 4 and dearly needs upgrades for more spare ammo)

I'm still terrible at MP after all this time, but I find the Sphere gets much more useful when you use its damage over time well by parking it in a doorway/arch/corridor and using it to set people up for either your own seekers if you don't use them as damage reduction (which I find works, but I appreciate I'm not a good Adept player in general) or just setting them up for someone else.

There's a level 6 evo for the Sphere (can't remember if it's A or B) that means it loses a good chunk of radius but doubles its damage, which works well with the land-mine idea. Once you get the hang of placing it, you can pull enemies through it for the DoT and detonate if you feel like it (I don't believe it self-detonates the combo the damage over time sets up, but it's worth checking) or against hardened targets. Exploiting the fact that you don't have a cooldown on it if you let it expire naturally is also a good option if you can't be bothered to time its detonations.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Rick_Hunter posted:

Just so you know, the DoT is bugged with no hope of a fix since the team has moved on. You should always go with evolutions 5b and 6a since increasing the duration actually lowers the damage of the DoT.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/Mass-Effect-3/Mass-Effect-3-Multiplayer-Discussion-/Dark-sphere-mechanics-and-bugs-16343431-1.html

...really. Great, it's not like I've been using the DoT evolution the entire time I've used the awakened collector or anything :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Cheap Vodka posted:

I bet we'll see a teaser trailer for a new Mass Effect game next month at the Spike Dew and Dorito video game awards. ME3 had a trailer like a year after 2 came out, they must have something to show by now.

They threw a few hints out on N7 Day (Nov 7th) that they were working on a new ME across Twitter and such, Spike'll just be where they make the big announcement.

• Locked thread