Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

I'm joining the Valiant I club this operation. I'm trying to find something heavy-hitting and decently ranged to complement the Reegar on my Demolisher for when something is beyond grenade-n'-zap range. Is the Valiant worth it (with a piercing mod, right?)? Or should I just go back to my Black Widow I?

Did anyone not get a IV ammo card in their Victory pack?

Paracelsus posted:

Got a Hurricane, but man does that thing ever give you recoil. I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it even on a Destroyer.
Don't aim and things will go so much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

LogicNinja posted:

Just had a few matches with some great pubbies, and then with monicron (goon) as well. Just plain blew through gold.
It was hella fun. I've got to play with goons more... That was the first time I've scored last as a Ghost with a Harrier in Gold, which is a good sign (admittedly, we all scored above 100k, right?).

I just unlocked the Geth Trooper and I want to make a big yellow firemonster. (I'm a fan of making Geth look like their enemy counterparts to startle pubbies.) Obviously Flamer is going to be the cornerstone, but does anyone have any tips on build/guns? Is Hunter Mode actually worth it if you're going the "melt everything" route?

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Yeah, a lot of people are having connection issues. Updates are here: http://twitter.com/originstatus

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Wow, did I miss the bus on Plat farming in Giant? The landing area is an excellent place to camp if you don't stray too far to the left.

I wanted to warm up in Gold so I ran EZ-mode (Turian Ghost with a Harrier and Drill Ammo) in a pubbie team, and then they wanted to switch to Reapers/Platinum. It was shockingly smooth with a coordinated team (which I honestly never come by, as I don't often get to play with goons): Volus Engineer, Geth Trooper, and N7 Demolisher.

We set up at the landing area, and the Demolisher meant endless ammo/grenades/stimpacks and crowd control, the Volus spammed shield boost and debuffed/lit up everything in the vicinity, and the Trooper melted everything while I constantly set off his fire explosions with Overload and destroyed everything he didn't.

It was magnificent.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

What time do Operations activate? I haven't played since the new format started.
Check http://blog.bioware.com. There's a countdown ticker at the top.

Also hooray, finally unlocked the Asari Huntress today. :toot: Looking forward to trying that out (I'm not gonna ask for builds, since I've already bookmarked people's suggestions from earlier GOSH I'M SO COOL). What gun do people recommend (plus Warp Ammo, I'm assuming)? I have almost everything but not at X (manifest for funsies).

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Am I the only one who completely sucks with the N7 Paladin on Gold? I drop all the time when I'm trying to close in (even with shield-boosting gear, Energy Drain, and plenty of successful Fury experience). And, the detonations don't seem to be killing as effectively as I thought they would.

This is the build I'm using. Am I doing something wrong?

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Mr Dog posted:

The game needs more high risk/high reward setups like the Fury.
Agreed. I am also a Fury fan, and I've found that doing the whole N7 Slayer PEWPEW-CHARGE-PEWPEW thing is equally fun and very effective on Gold (as long as you're hosting, obviously). Avoiding sync kills adds a pretty fun level of challenge to it.

Burning Mustache posted:

Heck, I'd argue that the effective range of the Piranha is even smaller than the Reegar's, and that's with Smart Choke no less.
I'd have to disagree with this. I use the Piranha with a Smart Choke on a GI and it's effective at mid-range as well as close range. :confused: That's the main reason I use it over the Reegar on the ol' glass cannon.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Dammit Bioware I am totally going to waste $15 on the SP DLC.

Wait, so what classes do we think the additions are going to be? I'm assuming Asari-esque duplicates are okay--like, I can't imagine what the Geth Juggernaut would be besides a Soldier given the escription. Adept or Sentinel...?

Also PC people, I'm on the list, but add me on Origin and explode everything with me and LogicNinja. (I am totally up for helping out newer players by playing lower than Gold/reviving 50x on Gold. He is probably just going to Charge everything.)

Stroop There It Is fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Sep 18, 2014

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Any PC people want to do some Gold or Plat runs while we wait for the DLC so we have more spacebux to blow in 2 hours?

Stroop There It Is fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Sep 18, 2014

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

When I got dumped into a pubbie Gold match today with my shiny new AIU (oh my god so much fun), a dude exclaimed, "Oh my god, it's EDI!" I guess not everyone was up on the new classes?

I think I've decided to stick with the Wraith on the AIU, since I found that the Reegar and Piranha weren't as satisfying (Claymore or Crusader seem too heavy). But wow, you could easily make the best ambulance/device activator ever with her if you sacrificed damage (hit duration-specced Repair Matrix, duration-specced cloak, then revive/activate). I have no idea who would want to do that instead of robo-murdering everything, though.

Also, have we decided which hammer to is better to spec into on the Krogan Warlord?

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Doc Dee posted:

Krogan Warlord, FINALLY :fuckoff:

EDIT: Armor/Shield piercing evolutions or biotic combo/AoE?
I've been messing around with Psion's combo build from a couple pages back and oh BOY is it fun. It's plenty destructive without the piercing.

Re: Warlord, I swear I did a melee attack with the hammer that wasn't heavy melee + standing still. I couldn't reproduce it--am I a crazy person? What are the various key combinations with him to get the melee attacks?

Edit: Hurr I think I figured out what I did:

Mass Effect Wiki posted:

Pressing the melee button again after the Krogan Headbutt allows a second and third hit using the Battle Hammer; the final strike with the Hammer will consume any Hammer Power equipped.

Stroop There It Is fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 5, 2013

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Shogunate posted:

Just to harp on Geth Juggernauts and I know standard PUBBIES ARE DUMB, but god I haven't seen a single good Geth Juggernaut whenever I play random matches. All the ones I play with end up getting down the most times because they think they're unkillable, but seem to forget or don't know about their heavy melee or anything to restore their shields :downs:
Really? I've had surprisingly good luck with Juggies (Juggernauts + Pubbies?), thankfully especially when I'm Warlording it up so they can hold bosses in place for me to smash. I was just playing a Juggernaut and kept double-teaming Banshees and Brutes with another Jugg while the Geth Trooper roasted them. I think the both of us only died a couple of times.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

I had a Volus shield-boosting my N7 Slayer while I spammed Phase Disruptor everywhere constantly and barely had to charge. It was ~magical~ and I have no idea why this possibility didn't occur to me earlier.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

HaitianDivorce posted:

What's the story with it? Exactly how good was it to get so neutered?
It used to do a lot more damage (in the same grenade-like radius), so you could take out a Gold mook spawn in a couple of hits along with staggering everything else in the area. Phantoms were suddenly not a problem. There also used to be a way to abuse the zoom system so you could fire the first two shots much faster (I think they fixed this). I remember using it on a GI when that was the highest-damaging class, and it was so glorious.

Try using it in single player ME3 (I love giving it to Garrus) and you'll see what it used to be like.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

LogicNinja posted:

Are you an N7 Paladin? Because that was a Snap Freeze->Incinerate level :iceburn:
Dammit LogicNinja

I'm also joining the Geth Scanner on an N7 Paladin bandwagon. Dealing with Collectors is so much less of a pain (especially on a dark map like Reactor) when they can't sneak up on you. I feel like the survivability increase is worth doing less damage, but for someone who is better at not dying with this dude, I can see why you would want the Omnicapacitors.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Are Rare/Gold weapon mods rarer than Rare/Gold weapons themselves? I've maxed all the non-UR weapons and now I'm just getting level IV ammo over and over from PSPs... I want my Power Magnifiers. :qq:

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Vietnamwees posted:

While that is true, from my personal experience it shouldn't be that hard to make weapon mods appear as the third gold card of a PSP-level pack. During my buying spree when Reckoning came out and another buying spree last week, I was getting triple gold card PSPs fairly often with weapon mods that I still needed.

Stroop There It Is-Have you ever gotten weapon mods from PSPs or only from SP?

Also, since I maxed out all the gold cards again, whenever I buy PSPs its always the same Ammo IV for the two slots, and it seems to happen a lot. Two Disruptor Ammo IVs, two Warp Ammo IVs, etc. Has anyone else experienced this this?
Yeah, I swear that I've gotten a couple of weapon mods in PSPs, though I suppose I'll have to switch to SPs now.

I've gotten the duplicate ammo IVs in PSPs before too, but I'm not sure that it's every time for me.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Elotana posted:

Silver is fine, once you learn the game well enough you can basically start there at Level 1 assuming you still feel like promoting.
I think using cover well and getting a feel for the maps are the key step necessary for that. You can be the squishiest possible Level 1 character and still get the top score over Level 20s if you have decent survivability skills.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Ligur posted:

edit2: what use are explosive ammo? In what situation or weapon loadout people think you should equip them for maximum benefit?
That's one thing I haven't figured out at all. Or drill rounds for that matter.
...None. Explosive ammo is never worth it. I literally only use it when I'm loving around on Bronze or Silver and don't want to use up useful ammo.

Drill rounds are great for wallhacking builds. I love putting Drill rounds on a Black Widow with a High Velocity Barrel and Thermal Scope and shooting through the map. It's overkill, but why the hell not?

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

hooray I added literally everyone on Origin who I hadn't yet. I'm honestly up for anything, since I have still not done that many challenges. Just lemme know what difficulty you're playing on in the invite (also I generally don't play late at night EST which is why I never play with you Lynx :qq:).

Favorite Kit: N7 Fury

Stroop There It Is fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Sep 18, 2014

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Awesome couple of Gold games with Alteisen and Der Luftwaffle just now! So many 'splosions. :v: I hope my hosting was okay, 'cause my internet is occasionally unreliable for no discernible reason.

mastajake posted:

Ugh, I forgot my origin was mastajake09 instead of mastajake. I edited my previous post to reflect this and added everyone whose name I saw. Add me if I missed you!

I added you just now.
Haha, I bet numberless mastajake is going to be hella confused when he logs in.

Regarding the Cabal Vanguard, I still haven't touched it since unlocking it ages ago. Anyone have a build they like?

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

UnknownMercenary posted:

I'm surprised Rio is 3rd. I know lots of people play Glacier for speedruns on Platinum, but I didn't think Rio was lower than Giant although Giant is pretty popular as an easy Platinum map.
Maybe some pubbies actually figured out that Plat Rio is a terrible map for any objective but killing 4 targets. They drop like flies when they leave the Safety Box. You have to be a more skilled player to get your credits on Rio than Glacier or Giant, and it's All About The Spacebux.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

I want to see these haikus they mentioned.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Lightning Knight posted:

drat, the N7 Fury takes some getting used to. It doesn't have enough health (and I'm not good enough) for the whole "run around and prime all the enemies!" strategy its build implies, and this game hates me and barely ever gives me those shield booster equipment things. :sigh:
Did you take the Drain option at rank 6 of Annihilation Field? That makes a huge difference. Also, hosting. And teleporting around like an rear end in a top hat.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Bioware just posted this on Facebook.

WOW THANKS BIOWARE HOW TIMELY :downsbravo:

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Yeah, regardless of whether a match is set to private, people on your friends list can join it. Even if you don't invite them.

Also dang I should add the other people who posted their Origin IDs recently. I still play frequently. Maybe too frequently-- I've apparently played 1133 matches. :saddowns:

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Smol posted:

Also, only one effect can be primed at once, so if you shoot something with, say incendiary ammo after snap freezing it, you may get a fire explosion instead.
HOLD UP, how come I can slap a Dark Channel on something and then if a teammate primes for a Fire or Cryo Explosion, I can detonate that with Throw and then Throw again to get a Biotic Explosion? Am I imagining things? I swear I've seen this happen with Flamer or Snap Freeze.

I still play frequently and am currently grinding out challenges and trying to max my URs. I'd be happy to drag your butt through some Gold games so you can get more tasty spacebux.

Stroop There It Is fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Sep 18, 2014

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Wampus42 posted:

I really wish they had added the Krysae's exploding gore effect to the hammer. With the enemies just disappearing, it's a tad cartoony.
I'm sorry, are you complaining that a visual effect for a space Street Shark with a giant loving hammer is cartoony? :v:

That said, it would be so much more satisfying if they exploded.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Tasoth posted:

Do all pubbies treat Rio like the spawn platform is the Battle of the Alamo? Because without fail, all three will flock to there and try to hold it for all ten waves. That and lobby leaders swapping to a higher difficulty without notifying the lobby are a pain the rear end.
Yes. The answer is yes.

At least some of them will follow you to somewhere with better cover if you suggest it to them after they've died at the beginning of multiple rounds.

My favorite recent Pubbie Rio moment was having to solo three rounds of Plat since SHOCKINGLY everyone died when hanging out in/running away from the middle... then the one time I get grabbed by a Banshee, everyone but one drops, and five seconds later he decides to gun down a Possessed Abomination right next to him. :downsgun: MISSION FAILED

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Midee posted:

I'll be on tonight, ID is Ziffles. I'm sure a couple of us will be there.
I'd also be happy to join you guys (if I haven't spammed it enough). I have nearly everything unlocked, but I have challenges to finish so I'd be happy to play Bronze. And maybe drag your spacebutts through some Silver.

Stroop There It Is fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Sep 18, 2014

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

mastajake posted:

Yes, please camp out in that glitched area on Hydra so the rest of us can die.

Goddamn it, are people doing this on purpose? I always thought it was a lag/teleporting bug and they couldn't get out.

Edit: vvv Yes, that explains everything now. USELESS ASSHOLES. :argh:

Stroop There It Is fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 12, 2013

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Wait, krogan come in colors other than pink? Why???

Also, I've only ever had one person treat me differently due to my voice (and not even that badly, just constant bugging me to play). Is this more of a problem on consoles? Or maybe I just sound like a prepubescent boy...

I have something embarrassing to admit: I have no idea how to take screenshots in this game. How are you doing it?

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

http://blog.bioware.com/2013/10/24/n7-day-2013-is-coming/

N7 DAY 2013 IS COMING! posted:

Play Mass Effect 3 with BioWare: Fire up your Xbox 360, PS3, or PC and play some Mass Effect 3 multiplayer with us! Hit the lobbies and be on the lookout for our BioWare banners. Members of the team will be logging on throughout the day, eager to blast through waves of baddies with you.
I say we should have a Goon Surge and kick the collective asses of the dev team.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Hadn't played in a while and just turned in my final assignment for the semester, so I fired up Plat last night to try my hand at the pubbie pool... (Sorry, Smol, I was in matches already when you invited me and Origin wouldn't let me respond to you, hooray!) I actually didn't have much trouble finding a match, and they were actually decent!

Except then I was blessed with a wave 10 disconnect. Oh game, how I missed you.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Pander posted:

I think the best plan is that everyone plays the same class and stacks abilities. KROGHAMMER!
Unfortunately I think the sheer volume of sync-killers in Platinum would end up crushing a Warlord team. UNLESS...who wants to try fitting 4 krogans with battle hammers into that camping box in Rio?!?

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Re: mic chat, I also wish there were a way to test mine locally, since it works fine with everything but this game. I do get the blue indicator when I talk, but most of the time the audio output is, er... Well, apparently according to Smol, I sound like a combination of a Geth and Mickey Mouse. Not really the height of intelligibility, that.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Pander posted:

You have to admit it's really loving frustrating when praetorian lasers go through soft cover.
Or out the Praetorian's butt.

...Or when you're trapped between two Possessed Scions.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

I need to clear out my Origin friends list, since most of the people on it no longer play this game. I'm guessing that most of the list in the OP is no longer relevant, too, plus a bunch of us put ourselves on it a long time ago and yet still play. Should we make an "actually still playing this" list or does the OP one seem to be doing its job for new people?

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

El Mido posted:

Cabal Vanguard isn't so bad as long as you know that Poison Strike only detonates in a radius from where you activate it, not in a line like you might expect.
...oh my god, it all makes so much sense now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Two Finger posted:

Pair it with a BatSol, use blades then the wraith, the shot-reload-shot timing lines up perfectly with your blades cooldown. I mean there's probably more EFFECTIVE combos out there but none so cool feeling.

Yeah but I even blew through Grissom with my Infiltrator and Kishock. Sabotage, Kishock, and TacCloak make short work of absolutely anything, and the singleplayer sniper slowdown makes it a loving breeze. If only Shep wasn't specced for sniper rifles in particular, you could roll a shotgun inf :(
Grissom Academy is significantly harder with a Vanguard. Accidentally charging one of the Cerberus Engineers was probably the fastest death I've experienced on Insanity.

Also a GI with either Incendiary or Armor-Piercing Ammo and a Piranha blows away everything almost as fast as with a Reegar, just from further away. The boosted firing rate from Hunter Mode makes it that much more fun.

• Locked thread