Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Marquis de Pyro posted:

They should just delete Firebase White from the select a map screen

Except it's tied into a few Achievements/Trophies. If you can only get Firebase White in Unknown Matches people will complain they can't beat it on Gold because there are too many maps to get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Had a Gold Reapers match yesterday on Rio trying out the Turian Ghost Infiltrator on Gold. I was grouped with a Turian Soldier, Vorcha Sentinal, and a Volus Engineer. Turns out that the Turian Soldier sucked badly and got 10,000 points and was dying left and right while the Volus ended up reviving him half the time. Score ended up with the Vorcha being 100,000, me being 91,000, and the volus being 67,000. Managed to get three extracted but left the Turian Soldier for dead.

Overall I enjoy the Turian Ghost Infiltrator and just wish I had a better Harrier to use on it rather than just Harrier I. Also that Volus was awesome having the tactical mine blowing up on banshies left and right. He soloed a banshee by himself on wave 10 while I was getting the last package to the landing zone.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

nwin posted:

drat I love the harrier but the ammo capacity is poo poo...currently using it in my ghost. Any recommendations?

I only have Harrier I myself and I'm rocking the ghost with that set up as well. Best advice I have is stick at or near ammo boxes. You get survival packs and ammo quickly enough. So even with the low ammo capacity in it you can still dish it out fast enough. Don't do the Ammo Capacity Gear. It'll at best give you ~ 30 more bullets on a Harrier I.

Also I don't know if it was a good idea or not but I completely ignored Overload. I may give it another shot but I just like the whole weapon damage and health and shield boosts.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

precision posted:

Are EA's servers down or something? I just tried to play Multiplayer, got the "you need an Online Pass" screen, and a "server is undergoing maintenance" message.

Was on on the Extraction wave of a Gold where I'd soloed two rounds because my teammates got instakilled and/or stomped and got a message saying "You've lost connection with the Mass Effect 3 Servers". Xbox live didn't say anything and I didn't lose internet. Yeah I think they did something to the servers in the last hour.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

There was no community goal in the weekend challenge. There was only a "squad based" challenge. Victory packs usually came with the whole "kill 200,000 of X", "Get 150,000 extractions", etc. I'm not sure if they're going to happen again thanks to this new update to the system.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

The Slithery D posted:

I just searched the past few pages and couldn't find it: what map did everyone say was good for grabs? I thought it was something like "Dagger at the bottom of the ramp where you spawn vs. Reapers," but that...didn't work so well for me when I tried it. Is it some other ramp?

I've heard good things about Firebase Giant in the control room against Cerberus on Bronze/Silver. Nemesis love to take cover in the two C shaped computer parts so just jumping around between them will get you lots of grabs.

Donald Kimball posted:

I actually have no idea how the Cloak bonus is applied. If I did the Bonus Power evolution, and threw a Dark Channel and then a Warp while cloaked would both of them get an 80% damage increase?

Yes, to my knowledge that is correct. Or at least that's how it works with tech powers.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Two Silver Matches down and got a Valiant II. That means I've got Eagle I, Valiant II, Crusader III, and Hurricane VIII. One of these is not like the others....

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Elotana posted:

I have literally never put a stability mod on my Hurricane. Barrel + heatsink + hipfire and drag your mouse down.

I might be biased since I have a Hurricane VIII but I don't use the stability mod either. Barrel + Extended Mag for me. It seems like at short enough distances it won't matter much either.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Was experimenting with the new mod weights and it turns out that if you have a second weapon with Ultra-Lightweight Materials it will count the weight against you. For example I went with Black widow with the barrel and sight and had a Hurricane with ULM and it counted the weight against me. So keep that in mind that when trying to abuse the glitch.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Any word on when we'll hear if we passed the weekend challenge? Kinda curious as it was a Holiday Weekend for some and might have hurt the numbers.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Has anyone been having issues with the game recently? For some reason over the past few days I've been having issues with either large amounts of lag, sounds cutting in and out when they shouldn't be, and worst of all jumping into a gold game and not seeing any enemies but them still hitting me.

For instance for whatever reason my Phalanx wouldn't make a sound when I was firing it (same for Krysae Sniper Rifle), but every other sound effect worked fine. I'm using the Xbox 360 game and I've had the game installed since launch so I'm just checking if it's a universal thing or just a weird bug on my end.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Nezzar posted:

I just had an Ops Survival Pack Capacity upgrade in my PSP. Was that a reward for that "kill dudes with shields" operation on the weekend? Don't remember reading about in the announcement.

Yes, the Weekend challenge was a success (don't think they announced it but I did get my Victory Pack) and it gave +1 to Survival ops capacity possibility. I've gotten mine already as well so the max is now 6 Medi-Gel, 6 Survial Ops, 5 Thermal Clips, and 5 Rockets without gear mods of course.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Vietnamwees posted:

Individual Goal is twenty thousand Biotic Explosions that kill? I assume that is a typo and is the Allied Goal, but then what is the actual Individual Goal then? Or is my next Promo Gun solely dependent on the community working together on this one?

poo poo.

20,000 Biotic explosion points.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Syrg Sapphire posted:

That's probably my favorite Hazard map just because every drat time, no matter how I try and time it so nobody is near the thing when I set it off, someone always Charges into the loving reactor right before doors shut and then I die because I'm laughing my rear end off.

I've had it shut on me three times in one match today but since I was a KroGuard I just shrugged it off. Also looking at the reactor in rage mode really hurts the eyes.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Blindeye posted:

So I've been promoting/screwing around tonight and since orgin's connection just went hosed for me I'd share this interesting bug I got tonight, basically my N7 Fury just disappeared completely and so I played a game that was sort of like an awkward fps except during objectives because the omni tool becomes visible:

:bioware:

Had that same bug with the Fury as well. Happened while I died dodging backwards. When I got revived at the end of the wave I was invisible and only had my Eagle to guide me. It was a very awkward wave and a half until I dodged backwards again and magically reappeared.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Opposing Farce posted:

I unlocked the N7 Fury and after playing her for a bit I'm not totally clear on how her powers work. In particular, I'm not quite sure how the Drain evo on AF actually works, and Dark Channel is a bit of a mystery for me- do I need to keep recasting it or will it just keep jumping to enemies once it's up? Will it only jump to enemies within a certain radius? And so on and so forth.

Also I keep sticking to cover when I want to dodge and it's kind of annoying.

Drain Evolution on AF drains enemies shields/Barriers equal to the amount of damage the AF does (it also counts damage from AF primed Biotic Explosions).

Dark Channel Primes the enemies for explosion once, and you will need to keep casting it to do more biotic explosions. If the target dies it jumps to the nearest target assuming there's someone nearby. That person is then primed for another explosion. This works really well against Swarmers and can take out all of them in one blast.

Double tap the dodge button/spacebar to dodge easier. Pressing it once seems to not make it work more often than not.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

This is how I roll my Volus Engineer. http://narida.pytalhost.com/me3/classes/?mobile#Engineer/Volus/KNPJD/Talon2AH5BA5/Hurricane9AU5AV5///StructuralErgonomics5/

There are many ways to play the Volus but I think the best way to play the Engineer is a cross between support and outright killing things with explosions. Make sure you're always spamming the light Melee for Volus's cloak.

chami posted:

I think it's pretty good. It recharges a small amount of your shields per pulse, does some damage, and counts you as being in cover for the purposes of several attacks (most notably Banshee warp balls).
Does this count the Praetorian eye laser as mentioned above? I didn't know it counted you as being in cover so I'll have to do some tests on this later.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Rick posted:

I definitely remember something about Warp-Warp combos if they're from different people but maybe I'm wrong?

The problem is it worked in ME2 but doesn't in ME3. This leads to the confusion that it should be the case.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Blindeye posted:

So, I had an interesting gold game with Gangringo, we were doing pretty good and then he loses his connection and I get booted because :bioware:. I come back (somehow) and end up with a medal count that has doubles of medals:

So I'm happy that I didn't suck up the place for once, but then when I tried to cash my 78k credits they disappeared, and none of the information from that game saved for no reason. Anyone ever get that?

The double medals thing also happens when the host leaves the game mid game and you get the same amount of kills during the other half. I've had it happen multiple times though that it gets confused and just doubles the medals (like I got 3 grabs first half before host left and none the rest and got two 3 grabs medals).

Also occasionally the credits don't pop up for a game or two when that happened to me. Of course there were sometimes the credits never showed up either too so just hope for the best I guess.

In other news I was trying out the Collector Sniper Rifle X and it seems to melt things with armor. The only main complaint is the horrible reload animation/time, but has anyone else tried this out and found it good or am I just going crazy?

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Two Finger posted:

Valkyrie I :(

Valkyrie II. Was hoping to get the fabled Hurricane X but oh well maybe next week.

Also my manifest says I have every weapon but the Typhoon. I'd trade my Saber VI for one of those honestly.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

ShortThug posted:

I've been on Hurricane IX for like three weeks now. Just give me that last one :(
I was at Hurricane IX when my others were: Eagle I, Valiant I, and Crusader III. So that's about six weeks? Either way it's ridiculous how the RNG gives them out in some cases.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Same, they're probably doing maintenance or have some sort of issue with the servers. From experience, it won't last more than an hour or two.

Getting the same thing on Xbox now. EA Server is down notice when I load up the game and then it spins for minutes trying to check downloadable content. Finally just gave up and I'll try again in a few hours.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Thundercloud posted:

Well I need nine more Turian Havoc extractions.

What's a good build to take on Gold?

Also sorry I didn't survive to extraction on every game last night, Krogan are a bit less resilient than I thought in Gold. And sorry for forgetting I had an acolyte in the first game. I did remember it every time I saw an Atlas after that.

I wasn't annoyed at you for not extracting. I was annoyed FOR you. Last second knockdowns are the bane of extraction rounds and can easily deny you a lot of credits. Anyway they were fun games and you did very well so don't worry about apologizing so much.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Gangringo posted:

do y'all go damage or range on that flamer? I can never decide.

This is how I spec my Geth Trooper. Always go for reach over the damage as it's better to kill more things than kill fewer faster. Personally never liked Hunter Mode for how fragile it makes you and even with fortification I think there's so much more necessity to get up close with flamer that you want all the shields you can get.

In other news Crusader VI; still no Hurricane X.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Finally got the Hurricane X. That must be Bioware's gift to me for the season.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

FairGame posted:

I started playing again after months of taking time off.

I've gotten the last 5 weekend challenges. Now I have a Crusader V and a Valkyrie II.

Ever other weekend gun? I.

The RNG is a fickle mistress. I had Hurricane IX, Crusader III, Eagle I, and Valiant I at one point. Now I have Hurricane X(just this weekend), Crusader VI, Eagle II, Valiant II, and Valkyrie II.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

zxqv8 posted:

This game is just piling on the loving bullshit today. I get dumped into extraction waves that then have enemies which I can't see but can see me. Leave, it eats my ammo despite never having fired a shot. Search for another, and it puts me right back into the same game right as extraction happens, and eats the ammo I loaded up and didn't even get a chance to use.

At least I got 3000 credits for my trouble. :downsgun:

This is one of the reasons I never put on equipment besides gear when going into games via quickmatch. You never know what you get and you lose stuff far too easily if things go bad. But lately I've been hosting matches or playing with friends a lot more than quickmatching.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Had a wave 6 four objects round against reapers on gold where I was a second away from getting the first one when a Brute insta-kills me. Then a goon and two pubbies tried their best but one of the pubbies just went down to a marauder and got stomped without geling. So the fellow goon and a pubbie started using rockets and even then they just ran out of time on the last one. It's been a while since I was in an objective round that we just ran out of time.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

UnknownMercenary posted:

I just charged a Ravager across the length of Giant, only to be Banshee grabbed during the charge and then sync killed at the end of the animation. :stare:

Had the same thing happen on Dagger but got sync killed by a Brute instead. In my defense I only saw the ravager and it was the start of the round on gold.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Stroop There It Is posted:

Wow, did I miss the bus on Plat farming in Giant? The landing area is an excellent place to camp if you don't stray too far to the left.

I wanted to warm up in Gold so I ran EZ-mode (Turian Ghost with a Harrier and Drill Ammo) in a pubbie team, and then they wanted to switch to Reapers/Platinum. It was shockingly smooth with a coordinated team (which I honestly never come by, as I don't often get to play with goons): Volus Engineer, Geth Trooper, and N7 Demolisher.

We set up at the landing area, and the Demolisher meant endless ammo/grenades/stimpacks and crowd control, the Volus spammed shield boost and debuffed/lit up everything in the vicinity, and the Trooper melted everything while I constantly set off his fire explosions with Overload and destroyed everything he didn't.

It was magnificent.

A few days ago we had a few full goon games of platinum on Giant against Cerberus. It is a good spot if you work together, but as always the objective waves (and sync kills) can make or break you. We had two Geth Troopers, A Volus Engineer, and a Salarian Infiltrator.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Alteisen posted:

I'd be happy with some stupid name generator thing. Though I am curious as to how many people call their guys some variation of shepard.

I have my Kroguard named Shepard due to what Wrex says in the single player if that counts.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

zxqv8 posted:

Oh hey, also.

The speed demos people are going to be playing Mass Effect soon. A speedrun of Mass Effect.

That will be loving looong. They're playing Dark Souls now, if you're into that.

It's going to be a New Game +. They'll probably only do the main story missions, too. Their ETA is just over two hours. All depends on what difficulty they do it on I suppose.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

So I just got into this game after trying it a few times back in May and writing it off as boring. Anyone got any good advice or guides for just starting out? I have lovely weapons and like two character unlocks. I guess that means I should focus on caster characters? Also should I be spending all my money on the cheapo packs or saving it up for the expensive ones?

Focusing on Caster types is a good idea and chepo packs starting out is a good idea to max out the common and uncommon weapons so you don't buy a more expensive pack and simply get one of the common weapons. At the very least buy Recruit packs until you max out the starting weapons (Avenger, Predator, Katana, Shuriken, and Mantis) then upgrade to Veteran Packs with the occasional Spectre Pack.

CuddlyZombie posted:

So, I just picked this up when it was on sale on Amazon, and I'm really enjoying it, but I'm wondering if I'm spending my credits wisely. I play games on silver with a level 19 conc-spam basic soldier, and although I almost always manage to win, its usually quite tough. I'm buying the veteran packs, thinking I'll upgrade to spectre when I start playing at Gold.

But when is a good time to move up to Gold? Should I be changing my buying plan?

If you seem comfortable on Silver and regularly extract fairly often it's often a good idea to attempt gold every now and then to get your feet wet and see how much of a step up it is. However keep in mind that it's not just you and your teammates can make or break it on Gold so don't be afraid to stick to silver if you're not feeling up to it.

And in response to both these posts don't forget to read the first post for basic info on the game and ask questions.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

precision posted:

Valkyrie I. :geno:

Also I bought two PSPs that had nothing but rare consumables, despite not having all the appearance options for the three newest characters. gently caress this jam. :mad:

I've been saving up credits for a while now as some Xbox goons know (I had 3.3 million credits) and decided to promote my characters and see how many Ultra-Rares I could get since I have everything else. I decided to use Spetre packs to see. Grand total? 3 ultra-rares. Scorpion, Collector SMG, and Harrier upgrades. Be glad that getting nothing but rare consumables still makes you angry it could be worse.

Oh and while I'm at it got a Crusader VII.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

sandpiper posted:

I was playing online with friends and I noticed that I can't join their games - I get a black screen that says "waiting for other players" and I can hear the level noises in the background but not see anything. This didn't happen when I hosted the game instead of joining one. Any of you got this issue? We all live really close to each other, so yeah.

I've played with people that have had this problem as well and I've been one of the people that have had that problem as well. Basically it's a problem with the host and your connection interfering with each other. Nothing to do with Bioware for once and usually has to do with NAT types. I play on the Xbox360 and rarely get it but that's because I have an Open NAT type so someone has to have a Closed or really messed up Moderate for me to get it.

Basically, the best advice is to try other people as the host and see if you still get the error. If that doesn't work restart your system to see if that refreshes anything. Sadly there are those connections between people that just don't get along and need a third party as the host.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Just got an "EA Servers are unavailable at this time" message. Made me D/C from a public Gold game. I'd only got 3 revives so I didn't get the weekend challenge and don't want to wait up trying to get it tonight oh well.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Potential BFF posted:

So something like this then?

What Perfectly Cromulent said but also Freeze Damage (Incinerate's Rank 6 evolution) doesn't work on Snap Freeze. It's one of the many bugs listed in the first post.

This is my build.

CuddlyZombie posted:

So, I just finished maxing all of my common weapons. I get more credits failing to extract on gold than successfully extracting on silver. What packs should I now be buying? Also, so far I've mainly been running the concussion shot-spamming soldier build that the OP posted. Given what equipment and classes I currently have, what other character builds would be fun to take into gold?

I'd recommend focusing on Veteran Packs with the occasional Spectre Pack.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Argus Zant posted:

If you're playing on LIVE, you can submit a negative player review that keeps you from getting put into games with that person again. That's pretty much all that there is in that regard, at least as far as I know.

The other thing about LIVE is that you can select their name - mid game - and mute them immediately. I've had to do that with a few people that have music/TV too loud in the background and would do anything about it.

I had an interesting night last night with 3 Volus Vanguards. We got full extraction twice against Collectors on Gold. It was a fun night.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Another case of the description being misleading in that you don't have to fight Reapers at all. I notice how Melee isn't listed though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Smelly posted:

Something happened to my Volus Adept. After I got a character training for him I somehow had enough points to get 6 in every stat with 12 points left over.

After looking at him again it now says I have -33 points and I'm still maxed out with him. He's the only character that it happened to. Has anyone else had this happen?

He truly is a biotic god now.

What Alteisen said and also to get rid of the error it the future. Simply go to the change/select character screen and pick any character and it should fix the glitch to have its actual point count. It's possible you can get banned for it but basically just don't abuse the system and Bioware shouldn't have any reason to ban you over the minor edit.

• Locked thread