Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
balistafreak
Oct 30, 2012
So, I suddenly had an urge to play a 3rd person shooter.

1. Is Mass Effect 3's multiplayer also for computer? I don't have a 360.

3. If so, is the multiplayer unified with XBox live players?

2. If so, do I have to purchase the single-player component alongside it, or is there some sort of thing where I can just purchase the multiplayer component?

3. If so, is it cheap enough to be worth buying alone, or should I just break down and get the singleplayer with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

balistafreak
Oct 30, 2012
Welp, I'm five minutes away from finishing the download on this game. A cursory reading of the material says to avoid any class that is reliant on guns to start out with, if I want to feel useful. Sentinel seems to be a good place to start. Any other comments?

balistafreak
Oct 30, 2012
Got my Vanguard to 16... I must say I feel rather unimpressed with Biotic Charge. It's cool and all, and it makes chewing through hordes of trash a breeze, but it's very risky (at least at my skill level) against the big super-heavy enemies, which always seem to be what kill people/wipe the team. You charge into them, they just synckill/smack you in return.

I think I'd rather play That Guy who can burn down a huge single target at range. Would you recommend (Human only) Engineer, Adept, or Sentinel?

balistafreak
Oct 30, 2012
To all those people calling for the newguy's handle, it's the same as <-----------: balistafreak

Currently working on leveling the Sentinel. See you on the battlefields soon! Is there a Mumble/Teamspeak/whathaveyou?

balistafreak
Oct 30, 2012
Okay, I seriously hate the Vanguard class now; trying to get my commendation pack, but it's painful. The amount of times I've charged into the back of some super-heavy thinking to bounce off it for a shield recharge or escape from a flank, only for it to turn around and synckill me in the blink of an eye before I can so much as roll away, is getting ridiculous.

Seriously, gently caress synckills.

balistafreak
Oct 30, 2012
Next up on my annoyance list: people who won't use consumables on their last wave.

balistafreak
Oct 30, 2012
So I spammed Recruit packs until I got myself a level 10 assault rifle, which has been serving me well for my silver games on the Sentinel and Vanguard.

Do I spam the pack that's one level up, or should I go straight for the most expensive pack now?

balistafreak
Oct 30, 2012
I'm getting sick and tired of getting killed without any apparent particle effect. Invisible bullets, invisible explosions, invisible enemies, and I don't mean the ones that are supposed to be invisible. Getting synckilled by an invisible Banshee is not a pleasant experience.

Not quite sure what the problem is. It's not lag, because I've hosted and it hasn't solved the issue.

Also, is anyone else absolutely frustrated by how unresponsive the reviving interface is? Half the time I revive people, I never get the prompt to. The other half of the time I end up rolling around/sticking to cover right above my ally until they bleed out, and then I get yelled at.

balistafreak fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 5, 2012

balistafreak
Oct 30, 2012
So, I've managed to simultaneously open a Particle Rifle and a Phaeston.

Despite one being (ultra?)rare and the other an uncommon, I find myself preferring the Phaeston by a mile on the Human Soldier. While the Particle Rifle means never having to go back for bullets, I go back for grenades often enough already, and it doesn't seem to deal all that more damage than the Phaeston. In fact, due to its weight, I feel like I actually deal less damage, since I'm not in Adrenaline Rush as often.

Is the Phaeston just that good of a gun, the Particle Rifle that bad, or is there a build that the Particle Rifle really shines in?

balistafreak
Oct 30, 2012

Lagomorphic posted:

Yeah they'd have to code the power differently then the enemies grenades. It would need to treat any players in the smoke as though they were cloaked.

I'm also picturing an area scan type effect for allies in the smoke as an evo.

Perhaps any enemy within and behind friendly smoke gets red-wireframed. That'd probably work just fine.

balistafreak
Oct 30, 2012

Two Finger posted:

pubbies.txt

By the way, I have conclusive proof that Praetorians are too tough.

I was trying to solo Silver with my Mattock Kroguard, and I used my entire stock of ammo killing one.

But there's supposed to be 4 of you. 1/4 of your total ammo + people using powers isn't so bad. :colbert:

balistafreak
Oct 30, 2012
So, just got the N7 Paladin. Precisely how is the heavy melee shield-plant shaped? I can apparently cause massive chain Cryo Explosions by popping into heavy melee and Snap Freezing repeatedly with the Cryo Shield upgrade not just on the enemies in front of me, but behind me as well, apparently.

balistafreak
Oct 30, 2012

zxqv8 posted:

If you notice an atlas setting up, challenge yourself to swat away its missile with light melee. It can be done.

You can WHAT?

Okay, gotta try this now. Truthfully though, I think I'd have to host the server to work... it seems that about 95% of the servers I play on have at least a half second of lag, if not more, resulting in hilarious rubber-banding battles, getting killed by teleporting enemies, allies teleporting exactly where you dead think they'll be... and I know it's not my connection's problem, I can play any other online shooter, LoL, etc. with <50ms latency.

Does anyone else have such problems with their public games? Has Bioware ever looked into optimizing the server process?

balistafreak
Oct 30, 2012

Blindeye posted:

So I have a question for you guys, since I don't use the gps much, I got it maxed out today and took it into a gold game. What I found was a fully charged shot knocks only 1 bar of armor off a scion (with the shredder mod and damage boosting mod). I can't explain why it doesn't seem to hit very hard at all but is that normal or am I getting lag and I didn't "hit" the target? If it's the former what's the strategy to use with it?

Is your class built for weapon usage? If you're not getting massive steroids from actives like Adrenaline Surge, Tactical Cloak, or Hunter Mode, you probably need to be skilled to 6 in the passives and purely for damage to get the wtfbbq hits that you often see. Actually, you need both; say, an Adept with just weapon passives is obviously never going to hit as hard as a Surging soldier skilled similarly.

Personally, my gun-hunger stopped the moment I realized my Human Sentinel's Warp-->Throw (alternatively Throwx999 when tagteaming with a good primer or Warpx999 when with a detonater) was dealing just as much if not more damage than veterans with shiny maxed out weapons.

On an unrelated note, pet peeve of the day; landing your primer in the middle of a horde of infantry, only to have it killed by a sniper when you go to throw your detonator, whiffing your combo and proceeding to make the next 10 seconds a crazy mess as the mass of infantry hits your position and swarms all over your cover. (I'm looking at you, Geth zerg rushes of Hunters, Pyros, and Bombers.) Those of you with sniper rifles and a penchant for headshots: the glowing enemy may literally be a shiny, weakened, easy kill, ripe for an easy kill-notification, but interrupting your own team's combo isn't just annoying; you can singlehandedly cause wipes doing so.

balistafreak
Oct 30, 2012
So I'm surprised to say that the Mattock feels far superior to the Valkyrie. One's an uncommon and the other's an ultra-rare, but the Valkyrie's weird double-shots just feel awkward, and my boss DPS is noticeably lower when I'm just trying to empty your clip ASAP.

And then I keep seeing recommendations for the Valkyrie over the Mattock and I get really confused.

Are there any other really good assault rifles out there (besides the elusive Cerberus Harrier which I still cannot seem to score)? I've taken a shine to the Turian Ghost Infiltrator with his super-duper survivability of cloaks, 4000 hp shields on demand, and huge jumpjet leaps, but I'd like to be killing things at a faster rate than I am.

balistafreak
Oct 30, 2012
You know what's hilarious? Spamming Lash on Phantoms to juggle them. There's something satisfying about watching those damned ninjas flip end over end until their eventual demise.

My only gripe is that it's only maintainable on one... and somehow, we managed to glitch the Cerberus spawn system. Somehow.

Full extraction on Cerberus, where the only enemies that spawn are Phantoms and the occasional Atlas. No gun wielding troopers, just armies of biotic ninjas and armored walkers. :gonk:

balistafreak
Oct 30, 2012
And just like that, I find myself a Cerberus Harrier.

My first thought: good god, this thing kills troopers ten times as fast as the Valkyrie does!

My second thought: good god, this thing runs out of ammo ten times fast as the Valkyire does!

What clowns decided to give this weapon only four spare magazines?

balistafreak
Oct 30, 2012
Why do people always seem to want to fight Cerberus? I actually think they're one of the harder factions, because I find swarms of fast-moving sync-killing ninjas with a low-visibility high-power projectile attack as they advance to be the most difficult challenge of all. Add that to ridiculously powerful stationary turrets that can rip through your shield gate before you can reach for a health pack and you have a nightmare.

The other faction sync killers are far easier to avoid, in my opinion; Banshees highly visible, and can't shoot you WHILE moving towards you. Same with Praetorians. Ravagers at least have the decency to give you a chance to shield gate, as do Scions - and Possessed Scions are even kind enough to give you a long window to dash away without taking a scratch. Yet I keep joining gold-farming Firebase Whatever/Cerberus groups of noobs who refuse to bring level 20 characters, bring weapons worth a drat (I'm looking at you Viper sniper rifle), or even bother using consumables.

And then I get kicked for having a low N7 score, apparently, because I can't think of any other reason why a lobby full of >1000 N7, <500 Challenge point, non level-20 characters would kick me. Despite having >3000 challenge points while using an ultra rare character with a high level ultra-rare weapon using high level rare equipment. :wtf:

balistafreak
Oct 30, 2012
Phantoms being the easiest to kill? Individually, I have to agree with that, but lately I've been seeing swarms of literally 6 or more Phantoms spawn at the same time during objective waves. Then respawn right after. Endless waves of almost nothing but Phantoms.

It basically goes like this:

Phantoms advance. People drop Phantoms have a very good ranged attack while running forward. Some Phantoms die but not enough.

Phantoms hit melee; more people drop due to sword attacks.

As people frantically start doing the resurrection dance, Phantoms start sync-killing people.

TPK.

balistafreak
Oct 30, 2012

Psion posted:

It's impossible for the game to spawn more than 4 at once. Literally.

precision posted:

I'm 99% certain this is literally impossible. I think the most I've ever seen is 3 at once? Maybe 4?

This is a proper use of literally; as in, I'm not exaggerating, there were six Phantoms, not my panic or my eyes deluding me into thinking that there were seemingly six or more Phantoms.

Say what you will about "impossible", my friends and I were alternately laughing manicly/screaming in frustration as our objective waves spawned waves of nothing but Atlases and Phantoms. Not a single Cerberus trooper carrying an actual gun, just ninjas and robots. I still regret not taking a screencap of the missile launcher that killed five Phantoms and an Atlas at the same time.

To be fair, hating Phantoms due to an obvious glitch/problem isn't going to be something most people agree with.

... and for my latest problem: nonexistent Cerberus troops. All of them are invisible, and don't even register on the kill-ticker when my teammates (who don't seem to have my problem) kill them. I've experienced similar problems with invisible teammates and, in one case, being invisible to everyone else on my team. How does the netcode even glitch like this in the first place?

balistafreak
Oct 30, 2012

Alteisen posted:

My favorite thing is using an ops pack then promptly go down, op pack still wasted but I need a revive.

It's not just Ops Packs, it's also Stim Packs as well.

What bugs me is that when I get revived, it's with full health and full shields/super shields from the stim pack. I'm assuming it's due to lag; you use the pack, your client says you're at full, the server gives you the order to fall over, funny stuff happens in the middle, and when you get revived you get revived at full bars.

balistafreak
Oct 30, 2012

Unclouded posted:

Has anyone been having issues with the game recently? For some reason over the past few days I've been having issues with either large amounts of lag, sounds cutting in and out when they shouldn't be, and worst of all jumping into a gold game and not seeing any enemies but them still hitting me.

For instance for whatever reason my Phalanx wouldn't make a sound when I was firing it (same for Krysae Sniper Rifle), but every other sound effect worked fine. I'm using the Xbox 360 game and I've had the game installed since launch so I'm just checking if it's a universal thing or just a weird bug on my end.

I've had the "all your teammates and all the enemies are invisible" glitch three times this evening alone.

balistafreak
Oct 30, 2012
Is anyone else having server issues? I know my internet's fine, but six hours ago I was playing just fine, and now every time I try get into an actual game, it claims that I'm not connected to the EA servers and boots me out.

What's befuddling is that I'm uploading my gear and characters just fine, so I'm clearly connected to those servers at the very least.

balistafreak
Oct 30, 2012
I just watched an N7 Demolisher shoot 12+ homing grenades at a Praetorian with its purple shield up, one right after the other.

Shouldn't the fact that none of them were doing damage tipped him off?

balistafreak
Oct 30, 2012
Stories from the front lines:

Extraction round, Cerberus. First spawn includes 4x Phantoms, 2x Dragoons. I rocket it and manage to get all six of them in one shot.

I turn the corner and there are all 4x Phantoms again. I rocket it because holy crap and my rocket launcher was still out.

Chuckling to myself, I whip around the corner into another 4x Phantom spawn AGAIN.

By this time my entire team was laughing their collective asses off.

Next story: I've had it with people hosting games on toasters. The amount of magnet-hand Banshee bullshit that happens when there's hilarious amounts of lag is the stuff of comedy legend - everything from being pulled off of ladders to being pulled from the starting point of a biotic charge (rubberbanding across the entire map, no less) to getting grabbed and somehow impaled by a freshly-rocketed Banshee.

In unrelated news, how do people feel about the Indra? Personally, I'm finding it be a hilariously well rounded weapon. It's got a ridiculously tight spread when fired unscoped - it feels like an assault rifle or a submachine gun, even, and yet it still seems to pack a major punch when scoped in and actually sniping. Combine that with a weight lighter than many assault rifles and... yeah. I'm finding myself taking it almost every class I have.

balistafreak fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 21, 2012

balistafreak
Oct 30, 2012

Dilb posted:

Congratulations on learning about the spawn system, and why spawn-nuking on objective/extraction waves is pointless, and even counterproductive. Now you can learn why you should focus on killing Guardians and Ravagers rather than Atlases and Banshees.

Oh, I'm quite aware of the fact that it doesn't get rid of them entirely. I'm just amused by the fact that I managed to walk into three spawns in a row with my rocket launcher still drawn.

As for the spawn resource mechanics, yeah, I understand. I make a point of completely ignoring Banshees and Atlases as long as trooper sized enemies and goddamn Ravagers are still on the field.

Dilb posted:

The Indra is what the Phaeston/GPR/CAR should have been. The only thing that bugs me (besides being outclassed by the Harrier, but what isn't) is the 50% damage penalty for firing unscoped.

Oh, wow, 50%? That's why I felt like I was doing far less damage unscoped. Not sure how I missed that one.

This just in: I just burned through 15 medigels trying to carry pubbies that have strange fetishes for killing Husks and Brutes from across the map while completely ignoring the Marauders and Ravagers that were killing everybody. Also, the game ended with me at 120K points and the other three at 30K, 30K, 20K.

There really ought to be an option to let you see the team you might be joining before you get dropped into a game in progress. If I know that my team consists of a bunch of poorly outfitted, low achievement points (I've found these to be a pretty good benchmark for player experience which translates at least somewhat to skill), not even level 20 but trying to play gold pubbies, I'd rather find a new room.

Do you guys ever feel it appropriate to leave a game in progress? I can think of a few scenarios, but I'd like to see what other people think first.

balistafreak
Oct 30, 2012

BreakAtmo posted:

It's not THAT overpowered - the drawback is supposed to be the cooldown period, which is longer than any other biotic power.

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Flare

30sec base cooldown, 24sec at Level 2, 19.35sec if you take the Level 5 Improve Cooldown evolution. Maybe they could jack the base cooldown to 40sec or tone the power down a little.

The 30 second base cooldown is the teammate cooldown length, apparently. The cooldown is FAR shorter when you take it personally as a power, if what I'm reading here is correct.

"During combat, when Aria is using this power, the cooldown is 24 (19.35) seconds, but when used by Commander Shepard, the power recharges in 5.95 seconds."

The base damage does still seem ridiculously low, though.

balistafreak
Oct 30, 2012

BreakAtmo posted:

I'm pretty sure that's wrong - I've heard elsewhere that the ~6sec cooldown is just when Shepard has +200% with the 19.35 base. If a 5.95sec base was true then a +200% Shepard would be chucking Flares every 2 seconds.

Oh. Well, that makes more sense, then.

6 seconds of recharge at 200% is pretty awful, yeah.

In other news, what's the proper response when it's round 3 (object hacking) in Gold, all three teammates go down while you're hacking, and then proceed to all bleed out/get executed without a single gel between them?

I don't know if they were expecting me to carry or not. I just threw up my hands in despair and marched into the line of fire to suicide to the tune of some voice chat rage of "what the heck are you doing", "I just popped level 4 consumables". Tough. If they're willing to pop those, they might want to consider using some drat medigel to protect their investment.

And this is why you never hit quickmatch with consumable equipment.

balistafreak
Oct 30, 2012

precision posted:

Flamer is usable to solo Platinum without extreme amounts of kiting.

Flamer is just preposterously good, though.

On topic: for the level 4, damage or range? 5 meters makes a huge difference, I've found, and I prefer being able to apply the damage from either a safer position or to hit the entirety of a large incoming group and get them burning-stunned rather than taking the extra damage and then having to wait awkwardly for them to clear those last 5 meters.

About Reserves packs: I've been looking desperately for an N7 Slayer since I ever started playing this game - it was actually a video of the Slayer in action that convinced me to buy it. I've bought heaps of regular Spectres because apparently those have a better rate of Ultra Rares, but now with the Reserves packs I'm not sure. Which has a better chance of ultra-rare characters?

balistafreak
Oct 30, 2012

Burning Mustache posted:

He also keeps not shooting Banshees in the head -- with the Particle Rifle, of all guns :negative:

I thought that Banshees didn't take bonus damage anywhere.

Also, I just had the most awful pubbie Gold game with a Turian Havoc and a Turian Ghost... WHO BOTH NEITHER USED A STIMPACK THE ENTIRE GAME. :suicide:

And I'm pretty sure neither had fitness because they always died in like two shots.

And they liked to stand in the open and take lots of fire.

I should have just quit after soloing the third round, but instead I let the game drag on for an honest to god entire hour of my life that I want back now. Jesus.

balistafreak
Oct 30, 2012
I have scraped the bottom of the pubbie barrel today.

A vorcha who did not use bloodlust. :suicide:

balistafreak
Oct 30, 2012
No, NOW I have just scraped the bottom of the pubbie barrel.

They join game, then just... afk.

Except they make sure to twitch at the beginning of every round to not get kicked, clearly trying to get some free spacebux while doing something else at the computer. Absolutely disgusting.

balistafreak
Oct 30, 2012
Randomed into a Firebase Glacier, Geth, Gold game. Normally I'd leave because these games tend to be full of farmers and the games get super boring, but I'd been trying to get in a game for ten minutes unsuccessfully.

The game ends up being one of the most awful ones I've played in a long time. Two of our four players were literally playing a singleplayer game. They stayed camped in a corner with the Demolisher's pylon and a Salarian Infiltrator, refusing to move from it in the slightest - not even down one corner of the hallway where me and the other teammate would be downed by the occasional horde, getting executed a mere stone's throw away. Even after me and the other random realized just what the hell our other teammates were doing, we were executed round after round with literally no support from them because they wouldn't move from their drat corner.

The thing is, between the pylon, the cover their corner provided, the ammo box nearby, and the two high-dps classes, they were able to survive there alone with copious use of medkits, rockets, and medigel. I could practically feel their smugness - "we don't need you", "we got this".

Okay, sure, I'm impressed that you basically duo'd Glacier/Geth/Gold. But watching them shoot enemies over my downed body only to simply sit in their cover and watch me bleed out was just plain aggravating. It's a bloody team game! I played a Vanguard knowing that I would get downed in crazy situations sometime, because I knew that there were three other people in the lobby to pick me back up if it happened!

And it's not like they didn't go down. When I was still alive, I fell back from my combat to pick them up at least half a dozen times. But could they be bothered to do the same thing for me? Absolutely not! There's not an enemy in sight of their little nest, I'm bleeding out in a safespot, and they can't run over and pick me up. Nope. Can't do it.

... pubbies.

balistafreak
Oct 30, 2012
My keyboard's W key has been broken these past few weeks, so I haven't been playing ME3M. Have I missed any new guns/characters/maps/content in general (aside from the weekend challenges)?

balistafreak
Oct 30, 2012

Lynx posted:

Yeah, I don't know what happened, but all three of you guys got disconnected from our game around the same time.

If it makes you feel better, I managed to do the wave 10 objective and extract just fine while running solo.

I got disconnected from an awesome 3 man gold game with literally 0 seconds left to extraction. It was... quite frustrating.

balistafreak
Oct 30, 2012
I can't carry two roleplayers, even if my Paladin play is superb. When two people are trying to play the new Turian vanguard as some kind of gun user (neither used a melee attack nor ability ONCE throughout the ENTIRE game, shortlived as it was, despite being level 20)... yeah, I don't know.

balistafreak
Oct 30, 2012
Okay, this is the third game in row I've gotten a female Turian exclusive gun user.

Stop it. You aren't a female Garrus, I don't care what your fantasies or fetishes are, you are basically obivating your entire skillset bar one passive, and it is getting my Gold level teams killed.

balistafreak
Oct 30, 2012

The New Black posted:

Amazing weapons passives, tough, possible shield refill skill and teleport dodge.

Never saw a single one of these from any of them.

:ughh:

balistafreak
Oct 30, 2012
Whenever I host, I feel like games go relatively smoothly, even with lesser skilled and/or geared players. Snipers are landing headshots everywhere,synckills are threats but not snatching/stabbing people from a mile away, and people can pop into cover in time before their last bit of HP disappears.

Whenever I join a game, I feel like there's at least an 80% chance that the server is going to have a huge amount of lag. Snipers can't hit a drat thing, people are getting synckilled in various BS ways (including myself), and I don't get any warning that there's a turret/squad of Marauders/Scion before I'm flat on my face.

How many Bioware fans are attempting to play this game using a toaster for their modem or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

balistafreak
Oct 30, 2012
Quite to the contrary, I don't see the purpose of the Geth Scanner on an N7 Paladin at all. In my opinion, it's a complete waste of a gear item that could be Omni-Capacitors, an Expert Package, a Stronghold Package.

Snap Freeze has such a large area of effect that you might as well just spam it everywhere. Shoot through every wall, through every corner as you advance. Learn the areas of the map that you can sneak into to bombard Snap Freezes into other areas with impunity - for example, there's a little niche near the titular reactor that you can stand in and keep it and the surrounding area frozen with almost complete impunity.

• Locked thread