Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

So I magically inherited a copy of this. How exactly do I get all the doodads and whatnots they've added to the game since launch? I remember reading they're separate from the patch updates, or is that only on consoles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

So do I pick them up through the horrible social.bioware website or the horrible origin program though?

edit: oh you're fast

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

So is the strategy of "pick up cheapo army surplus packs until all your poo poo weapons are taken out of the rotation then get the expensive ones" still the way things work?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

So what's the trick to getting the quickplay button to work when you have a level 1 rank 1 character? Prayer to Satan?

edit: Oh Origin doesn't download updates automatically. Isn't that precious.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Psion posted:

Start and host a bronze game by yourself; it'll populate with people who don't know you're level 1. By the time you finish, you won't be.

I think the problem was that I was playing with an old version of Mass Effect 3.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Hi it's me again. Since I basically got the game for free I decided to drop $10 on premium spectre packs because that's what I planned to spend on it eventually. In my first one I got a paladin pistol. Thanks everyone this has been a wonderful time.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Holy poo poo BreakAtmo I am so sorry for you having to put up with my drunk rear end.

edit: Just to prove my ranting about the lag wasn't pure bravado at one point Palmitos here turned into a red spark of pure energy

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Oct 17, 2012

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Holy poo poo the slayer is loving fun when you're actually coherent enough to pay attention to what's going on :shepface:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Gazaar posted:

I still get knocked out at the drop of a hat because some rocket trooper or something spawned behind me and had me in his sights for a milisecond.

Did they change charging? I can't seem to panic charge away from danger as easily as I could pre all of the DLC.

From what I heard charge is a lot more specific about what it needs to work right but it also doesn't gently caress up spectacularly and turn you into floating space jesus as often.

Protip: His dodge goes through walls and up and down ladders! It's insane.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I basically use promoting as a method of rotating my classes. Once I hit 20 with my adepts, I promoted and moved over to my vanguards which had stacked up a bunch of levels from cards. Now that I've promoted my vanguards, I'm switching over to engineers for a while. Keeps things a little fresher.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I have efficient blast and it's fantastic because it leaves you with some shields left over after you throw your two during your charge's cooldown instead of leaving you naked. Spamming explosions like there's no tomorrow.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Run bronzes and drop all your money on the lovely recruit packs until you get a Katana X. It's not fantastic but it's just good enough to hold you in higher difficulties even with a low level character. Getting the crummy guns to X also takes them out of the rotation of showing up so the premium packs you buy later will have a a ever so slightly higher chance for better stuff.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

What exactly is the yellow ranking number that shows up in the lobbies anyway? I know N7 is levels of characters + promotions, and the blue thing is number of promotions on that class.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

So if my manifest looks like this should I be buying veteran packs to rounds out my low end stuff or just saving for premium packs? http://social.bioware.com/n7hq/?name=Cowcaster&platform=pc

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Speaking of subpar powers I'm really impressed with what they did with singularity. With all the damage over time upgrades and the appropriate class force/damage skills the thing will simply kill enemies before you can even follow up with something to detonate them.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Oct 22, 2012

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Elotana posted:

Generally speaking you can never go wrong equipping the Hurricane on a caster class or the Harrier on a weapons class.

The hurricane is heavier than my paladin with ultra-light materials for caster classes so that would be one of the exceptions I guess.

On the other hand the hurricane does more damage than any of my assault rifles on a weapons class :shepface:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I know they overhauled singularity, what'd they do to shockwave? That was one of the only powers I can think of that was lower on the totem pole than the original singularity. The other being concussive shot.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Zoran posted:

They dramatically buffed its damage and range and made its combos slightly more powerful.

Man and I thought the human adept with the new singularity alone was decent. I'm going to have to have to promote him and give that a shot.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

So I gave the singularity/shockwave adept a run last night and was duly impressed. Think I'm going to have to go 6/6/6/5/3 with it from now on.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

So this is the build I've been using for maximum face melting as the Slayer, does anyone have alternative advice?

Biotic slash doesn't get much love with it, but being as 98% of my time is spent between charging and phase disrupting I don't really miss it.

The 6th point in the melee synergy skill seems highly situational, but it seems a lot more useful to jack my phase disruptor damage even more through the roof in the instance that I finish off a straggler with the heavy melee than either of the rank 6 alliance training skills which both affect weapon usage.

http://narida.pytalhost.com/me3/classes/#55RMDIQO0%400YC%40%40Z0J3%400%400

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

So this is the build I've been using for maximum face melting as the Slayer, does anyone have alternative advice?

Biotic slash doesn't get much love with it, but being as 98% of my time is spent between charging and phase disrupting I don't really miss it.

The 6th point in the melee synergy skill seems highly situational, but it seems a lot more useful to jack my phase disruptor damage even more through the roof in the instance that I finish off a straggler with the heavy melee than either of the rank 6 alliance training skills which both affect weapon usage.

http://narida.pytalhost.com/me3/classes/#55RMDIQO0%400YC%40%40Z0J3%400%400

Hey, it's me. I didn't get a reply. Was thinking about maybe taking the points out of biotic slash altogether and capping off alliance training that way? Then I could kind of get away with putting a heavy barrel on my paladin. Maybe?

Love,
Cowcaster

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Well guys I managed to run into the vanguard charge bug except even worse than it used to be. I was able to fire my gun and throw powers, except I was completely unable to move or aim. On top of that I didn't even have the safety of floating away into the sky, instead being a paralytic moron flinging phase disruptors at my feet.

So working as intended I guess.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Pumpking posted:

I have slash at 3 for hacks and the like, when I need to hang back and can spam it through walls. Though I also normally run with an SMG so weight isnt a problem. If you aren't using biotic slash at all then spec out of it and take the passive weight decrease. Less weight means faster cooldowns means more charging, after all.

I'd also say dont take shield recharge in the fitness tree. Its kinda useless for vanguards because you can recharge your shields instantly by charging. I also prefer shield damage on phase disruptor because on gold you can kill a centurion/marauder/nemesis/geth rocket trooper/collector captain etc with 2 phase disruptors and a charge. The slayer works best by charging from target to target and isnt really a boss killer to begin with. He's ideally suited to taking out the smaller guys who are often the real danger. You also have a gun which works well against armor anyway.

This is good information! I took the shield recharge in the fitness tree because taking the melee alternative just seems to encourage suicidal heavy melee attacks to get a bonus that only benefits additional suicidal heavy melee attacks. Swapping the phase disruptor rank 6 sounds like a good idea, I'll definitely do that next time around.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Does the pull 'cheevo count enemies killed by biotic detonations primed by pull, or literally only kills that have "Cowcaster [Pull] Thingummy"?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Psion posted:

I read your thoughts but I don't see where you said it was a sentinel. I did read your post one whole page ago. Now if it had been two pages...

also I hope everyone noticed Bioware Be Trollin' by adding krogan shaman skin tone.

you know, the krogan shaman wearing a helmet.

He said it had tech armor clearly it was a sentinel :colbert:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I've left the game running at least once when I've gone in to work for a short bit.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I wish this game had a text chat so I could let my teammates know when an urgent phone call has happened so I'm just rolling around uselessly on Gold trying to not die.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Thought we were tearing up a gold round like it wasn't no thang and it turned out it was on silver :qq:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

Thought we were tearing up a gold round like it wasn't no thang and it turned out it was on silver :qq:

Tearing up an actual gold round like it wasn't no thang and then I get my very first crash to desktop I've ever had in Mass Effect 3 :qq::qq::qq:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

That's a very good point. I did get a little side-tracked on my post. What I meant to say was, it doesn't seem possible to build a "tanky" character in Gold or Platinum. The damage is just too high. All of the characters that can stick it out and fight have gimmicks to avoid getting hit or regenerate their shields quickly. None of them can afford to stand there and take it. I guess in a roundabout way I was agreeing with precision. Tanking seems like a trap choice. Avoid getting hit, deal out the damage, the best defense is a good offense, etc. Sorry that I meandered.

I agree with this post. It's actually really strange going from Mass Effect 2's/Mass Effect 3's single player, which have some of the most rigidly enforced cover-shooting gameplay, to the multiplayer where cover is not only unnecessary most of the time, but outright suicidal in most cases.

It's easy to see why though. In the solo games, a player more or less is in a corridor moving forward. Enemies spawn in front of them, and to proceed they move through them to the next round of enemies. This means cover is useful to both sides because it can clearly be put in front of the other parties' bullets.

In a wave-based multiplayer map though, enemies spawn anywhere and everywhere. There's no linear progression. This means that no matter where you find cover, you are exposed to gunfire regardless. Without cover acting as cover, the only thing you gain from using it is a minor aiming bonus to your weapons at the price of absorbing every bullet sent your way from enemies that show up behind you.

Making the tank classes tankier won't really fix that key problem unfortunately.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Donald Kimball posted:

Just had a weird glitch, maybe. Was playing some Platinum Rio as a Volus Adept, and occasionally my Stasis would one-shot enemies. Not just Swarmers or Turrets, but Phantoms, Marauders, and Hunters.

Anyone else experience this? HOW TO REPLICATE?

What were you fighting that you had to deal with cerberus phantoms, reaper marauders, and geth hunters all at once? :awesome:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Donald Kimball posted:

Platinum difficulty spawns enemies from several factions!

I did not know this considering it's pretty hard to even clear golds with my current stockpile of weapons. I learned something!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Speaking of which is there any trick to getting grab kills besides "oh poo poo there's an enemy behind the exact right amount of cover gogogo" because that only gets me one once in a blue moon. It seems as though cover is as useless to enemies as it is to players these days.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Speaking of possessed abominations, they don't go off if you pop their head, right? Or was I just imagining that?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Can someone elaborate for me how tech/flame bursts work now? They seem to happen a lot.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

So I got this collector sniper rifle. It seems like poo poo, but it also seems like it does insane damage on a headshot? It's like Schroedinger's gun over here.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

As long as you're really, really careful not to overheat it and you really, really keep the beam focused on the enemy's head it seems pretty insane. Those are two big corollaries though.

edit: And with the proceeds gotten from the rounds I was trying it out I got a spectre pack, and unlocked a collector assault rifle :shepface:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Does anyone else see the phoenix characters as having big goofy whale-baleen smiles on their helmets or is that just me.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Vsuck my dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

They really gotta stop using the same names for weapons as they do for classes. First the paladin and now the valkyrie.

• Locked thread