Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

subroc posted:

The stuff about the Javelin is all down to personal preference.

Not really. Until it gets updated to ignore gating (everyone go post this on BSN, thanks) the Jav is too much overkill at too slow a firing rate on Bronze (you'd be better off with a Mantis' high ammo reserve or a semiauto like the Viper or Valiant so you can kill more than one dude per year) and moves right on to the opposite and hits up worthlesstown on Gold or Plat because of gating and its incredibly slow ROF/ammo capacity.

It's frustrating, too, because the fix is so simple. Jav = ignores gating. Suddenly you have a genuine reason to use an ultrarare over a regular rare (ie Jav over Widow) and you have a genuine advantage to counteract the slow firing rate, slow charge shot, hideously low ammo reserve, etc, etc.

As it stands on any difficulty level where the Jav's per-shot damage is worth talking about, gating negates it. On any difficulty where the gating doesn't harm it, the Jav is stupid overkill.

Yes it is my highest ranked ultra rare and yes I'm still mad about it why :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Lagomorphic posted:

The need a Sniper rifle mod that reduces the effect of the shield gate. They could call it a phase modulator or something. Sniper rifles need more mods anyways.

This is an option too, I suppose, but I'd rather see it added as an innate for the Javelin. Otherwise you could just slap the mod on a Widow and it would be superior to a Javelin with the same mod. (possibly a Mantis for all I know)

What I'm looking for is a reason to make the Javelin worth its ultra-rare status as well as worth using on higher difficulty (or any difficulty, as I said it's pointless on Bronze for an entirely different reason). If they added a mod, great - but it'd go on my Widow long before it went on my Javelin. Only fixes half the problem (but probably the more important half)

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Now if only they'd shorten the stupid breakdance kickflip 'charge' animation for the slash moves. I'd probably trade a 1s shorter anim for a 2s cooldown even. But in general I'm not seeing a bad thing here. Also Kishock buff :confuoot:

e: except for making people think stickies are worth using with that buff

Psion fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 21, 2012

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Nothing seems extraordinary except the Talon. gently caress that gun.

If you hate the Talon, you're using it wrong. It's probably the best pistol in the game, even at Rank I. What's your problem with it?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Elotana posted:

The Falcon is AoE, I think it's just right where it is. The Krysae sucks out loud now though.

I would be fine with a small ROF increase. Reduce damage per shot to keep the same DPS if they have to (I don't see a problem with leaving damage alone), but it fires toooooooooooooo slowly.

So does the Krysae, except that's even worse a situation.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

It was probably to nerf it back when the Falcon was the original supergun (right as DLC 1 came out, clearly) ... and they "claim" to have fixed that issue, so fix the drat Falcon.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Lagomorphic posted:

Yes it's worth doing. Promote your poo poo it takes pretty much no time to level back. Also it's a chance to repec.

Since they just changed the slash moves, I know which two classes I'm respeccing. I mean promoting.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Lagomorphic posted:

Well I just wasted a full set of consumables trying to run Platinum and winding up in a game with a loving cheater. Why are people doing bannable poo poo in public games? Ugh I hope the loving moron enjoys his ban.

but did you get your 140k? :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Put an ammo power on it and go to town. I like my Scorpion. Great for knockback and applying ammo effects.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

VJeff posted:

Man, I must be crazy for preferring the Harrier to the Typhoon in basically every situation. On the Destroyer, my Harrier is just a loving laser and oh yeah it doesn't spend four years spinning up before it actually does some decent damage. I love it so much.

No, I love the Harrier a lot too. I only use the Typhoon on classes designed to sit there and stand under fire and not care about it. Turians etc.

Harrier's burst damage is usually enough to kill an enemy or have your shields be pretty low by the time you have to reload; it's a pretty good rhythm of fire/reload in cover, recharge shields/fire again

e: phantoms grabbing me out of a charge to stab me is getting old

Psion fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 26, 2012

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Still trying to get any of the four N7s I don't have.

This game has given me more ex-Cerberus classes than N7s lately. I want the Destroyer, drat it! And alternate colors for the Paladin!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Did you take radius charge or damage/force charge for your phase disruptor party?

I'll give it a try I guess, I basically don't use my Slayer now at all.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I only tell other people not to Vanguard on Gold :c00l:

Once I get my Vanguard back to 20 I'll give that a shot. Just realized I promoted for the weekend so I think it's ... 12? 14? not high enough.

also I know people love Krogan Vanguard but frankly I die more often as a Krogan tank of hp than I do as a novaguard because everything dies with the application of charge/nova whereas krogan melee only kills one thing at a time. VERY INEFFICIENT

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Am I allowed to gloat because I said slayer was awesome weeks ago and everyone shut me down? Because I'm totally going to do that.

You're only allowed to gloat if you post Youtubes with jaunty musical backgrounds. Mr Dog knows what's up.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Make Javelin ignore gating on all difficulties, keep gate up where it was. Fixed, Bioware.

Not that I'm gonna complain about them dropping the gate but it's effectively pointless to use such a slow rof weapon on Platinum (more like suicide) and so this only really means I can jav snipe on Geth/Gold/FBW again.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

You guys and just posting "oh hey I got a Valiant X! Look at my Hurricane VI!"

yeah, screw you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4RGJrrq9yw

I post this in solidarity with all my space-bros, Pumpking, KnoxZone, Felinoid, Wampus42, Hyperactive, Xad, and extra special shoutout to Mr PMS

Psion fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Aug 29, 2012

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Blompkin posted:

Of course, I'm not getting head shots on really distant enemies with it in either case. Are people really able to reliably get head shots at long distances with a zero recoil assault rifle? If so, then my aim might just suck.

Yeah, it's practice. Also there are times when I want a precision weapon without a scope, so something like a Harrier with stability is perfect. I can operate at any range and do a lot of damage to boot.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Elotana posted:

For what it's worth, a Bioware guy confirmed on the forums that there's another large patch due soon. Hopefully I'll be able to cross out most of the bug list from the first post :shepface:

The patchnotes will let you cross off everything, but when the patch actually comes out you'll have to un-cross-off two thirds of the list and add 15 new entries.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Saber, I assume.

Shield gate just means if you fire a bullet that does 100 damage and they have 1 shield point left, you do 1 damage to the shield, but the remaining 99 damage does not carry through directly - depending on difficulty a certain percentage is absorbed before going through.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

so my vanguard isn't back to 20 yet but I decided to give Elotana's N7 Kai Leng Vanguard a shot on Silver, figuring it'd make up for the lost levels. Had a couple stupid deaths, like "charge into enemy, get shot in rear end by turret I did not know existed" and "charge into enemy, wait, charge, why are you, god drat it" and a couple that were just me being dumb, BUT

Overall? Really, really fun. You have to constantly stay on the move being an enormous dick staggering the entire enemy team. I like it. I can definitely see this working on Gold if I host and it's on a map where I've memorized spawn positions.

Psion fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 31, 2012

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I should really break out my Jav again. It is my highest ranked ultrarare (unfortunately) and the zwwwwwip *enemy explodes* is pretty fun.

I just got so tired of sniping. I hate using scoped anything now.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Banshees.mp4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6yVbo8PPXs

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Hyperactive posted:

The 100% bullshit where, as a Turian, you will insta-die to a Phantom if they hit you at the right angle because there's literally nothing you can do and nowhere you can go after the bullshit stagger, is kinda bullshit.

"we're happy with the state of our stupid instant kill enemies" -- bioware, 2012

Remove instant kills, add a new faction, hire me to actually balance powers in this game, thanks

But only as an overpaid contractor, I don't want to commit to working for Bioware here, woah

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

SubponticatePoster posted:

Speaking of instakills, just did a gold round on Giant/Cerb and everyone got gibbed by phantoms during extraction. :cool:

Yeah see my video a page or two back to see Banshees triple-sync killing in a row. So stupid.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Also is there any consensus on the best packs to buy to get gear, rare or uncommon? I've been buying PSPs because I always buy PSPs (and want ultrarares) but I've almost maxed out my gold guns (Pirhana and Acolyte are at VI-VII) but my gear drops are crap.

Are they just terrible odds in general? The only one the game has seen fit to give me above rank 2 is the Commando Package, which is at 5. Nice for my caster classes, buuuut.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Paracelsus posted:

Sounds like the RNG just doesn't like you.

Story of my life in this game. Ever since the demo (first class? asari adept) to retail (last class unlocked pre-DLC? asari adept)

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

VJeff posted:

Heh, the "remove all your consumables immediately when you see a guy using a Striker in Platinum" policy just saved me a massive headache. Cheaters. :allears:

Favorite part of the match is when, out of boredom on the "Cap 4 objectives" wave, me and the other two guys had to amuse ourselves by all capping the objective simultaneously while spinning in a circle. Wish I could've gotten a clip of it.

Why don't I ever run into any of these people? I'll take a free 130k for no effort.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

VJeff posted:

If Bioware doesn't care about having a structurally sound game, why would they care about cheaters?

Because they care about the appearance of one. If it looks like they do something about cheaters - whether or not they're solving the problem, or actually catching most or all of them - then other people tend to be content.

It's seriously a smoke and mirrors kinda thing. Appearance but as little substance as possible (substance = costs money. apperaance = doesn't)

This isn't unique to Bioware. I've seen this play out over more games than I can count.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

This game finally coughed up an N7 Destroyer for me. I know missile launcher is still stupid, but what's the fun way to set up multifrag and devastator mode?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

TacticalGranny posted:

Nobody I've ever run Platinum with has ever complained about my score, because Primes aren't knocking their dicks into the dirt and they can concentrate on doing their jobs of laying down some hurt.

yeah I'm never going to complain about a good asari Justicar (who tend to score low) or a good salarian Engineer (same) because they make everyone else murderously effective. Tech and/or biotic bursts going off every second is a wonderful thing.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Two games with missile glitchers today after saying "I never see these guys" earlier. I thought it was a platform-specific glitch or something (or that you were all full of poo poo :v: )

But I thought the glitch was screwing with your Cobra launcher and Striker, but didn't that get fixed? I'm so confused. Bioware :psyduck:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

LogicNinja posted:

What guns do people use with the Demolisher? I tried Typhoon I, but wasn't very impressed; I've been going Saber IV/Hurricane 1 or Piranha X and switching depending on the situation.

Pirhana and Harrier is a good combo. You're effective at any range with two powerful guns plus your grenades.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I have both and I actually prefer the Harrier to the Indra (both at I) for my destroyer, but I have no idea if that's the pro DPS optimal strategy.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I think Trykt was the one who clued me into this, but use it with a female Quarian Infiltrator - Sabotage is an extremely reliable stun animation which is perfect for a charged Kishock bolt. Charge, cloak, sabotage, headshot. It's really good.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Submission Net is really good now. Even if you don't take any recharge speed upgrades, and you spec blade armor for DR instead of recharge, you can still spam that thing like throw.

Carry a shotgun and smash things.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

SciFiDownBeat posted:

These days I never employ a build that leaves one skill with zero points (unless it's Shockwave, Incinerate, N7 missile launcher, Carnage ...)

It's not good strategy to invest in subpar powers when the tradeoff is survivability and maximizing the effectiveness of your good ones. Respec cards are cheap if the time comes Bioware changes a skill, but you have 'options' from maxing out the good stuff, too.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Yeah the gear drops are really weird. What I don't get is why it sometimes decides "today you are maxing this gear" and drops three or four in a row. Nothing else - same gear over and over, across several purchases after different rounds.

Also has anyone at Bioware noticed the +% one gun/+% different gun, like Combatives for AR/Pistol are all useless?

because those top out at 10%/10%

or I could take Densified Ammunition which tops out at 12% and is universal.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

UnknownMercenary posted:

Time to solo Bronze :v:

Hahah YUP. No chance am I gonna try that one in a group.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

SciFiDownBeat posted:

It's gonna be tough, though, not being able to use just one measly little medi-gel for when I inevitably gently caress up. Honestly the Individual Goal could've been a lot worse--definitely a challenge, even on Bronze.

So what classes/loadouts will people be using to do the Individual Goal? And let's pretend you're not going to use the Krogan Vanguard.

Novaguard, any of the N7 classes, asari adept, whatever. Set it to Not Reapers and I figure it won't take too long. Actually with the new buffs to Turians and Batarians - 1425 shields(!) I might do Batarian Sentinel or Turian Soldier. It's gonna take a long as hell time for bronze enemies to chew through that many shields.

for comedy's sake I'm gonna use level III consumables too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

It actually amazes me how awful most missile glitchers are. Dying all the time, wiping on wave 5, stuff like that. It's like come on, you have an infinitely powerful glitch cannon. You one shot literally everything. How hard is it to stay in cover at a convenient chokepoint like say, Glacier room, and just obliterate everything?

I mean come on, if you're going to do the glitch you should do it right :colbert:

• Locked thread