Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Houdini posted:

The weird bug of uncommon items being rarer than a volus adept is crazy. I checked the manifest last night, and there's mods like shotgun damage and tech damage that I should've maxed our ages ago but haven't even got. :stare:

I'm going for 200 waves as a vorcha soldier. maxed out melee damage, flamer and scimitar bursts totally rule.

I haven't played since May, but if the packs still work the same way then the uncommon weapon mods are easy to get, but only from Veteran packs. Recruit packs have a guaranteed uncommon, but the slot seems to be reserved for weapons and characters, and SPs/PSPs seem to also be weighted heavily towards weapons and characters in the uncommon slots. Veteran packs appeared to have a two dedicated uncommon character/weapon slots and one uncommon mod slot, so buying 10 or so would quickly max uncommon mods.

Again, I'm not sure if it still works this way, or if gear works the same as weapon mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Just played my first game in many months, and I can't believe I forgot the secondary rule of Vanguarding... ABH: Always Be Hosting. At least I didn't float off into space! Did they fix that?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Is Rage DR and melee bonus still bugged? I've seen conflicting reports - I'd believe the melee bonus is bugged, but it seems like I'm getting the DR. It might just be Barrier/Charge/Heavy Melee stacking though!

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Insert name here posted:

Is it just me or are some maps really rare? Despite always playing random maps I think I've seen Reactor about a total of four times. London and Rio are the same way. Every other map I seem to get a good spread of games on but these three I almost never see pop up ever.

Assuming maps are chosen completely at random, with 19 maps it would take you longer to see all of them than you might think. On average, it'll take about 67 games in order to see each map (since some will repeat), and it would take about 27 games to see all but three.

Personally, it seems like every other game is London or Reactor for me!

balistafreak posted:

Got my Vanguard to 16... I must say I feel rather unimpressed with Biotic Charge. It's cool and all, and it makes chewing through hordes of trash a breeze, but it's very risky (at least at my skill level) against the big super-heavy enemies, which always seem to be what kill people/wipe the team. You charge into them, they just synckill/smack you in return.

I think I'd rather play That Guy who can burn down a huge single target at range. Would you recommend (Human only) Engineer, Adept, or Sentinel?

If you want to burn big targets at range, you'll want to try the Sentinel next. Here's Zoran's Guide on Warpsplody goodness. The Human Adept is great at cleaning trash at medium-close range, as is the Engineer. Infiltrator is another big-target burner, but will likely feel underwhelming until you get better guns.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 2, 2012

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

I had the weirdest bug today in a game full of weird bugs. We started the match and I hit Escape to see what faction we were fighting against and it was blank. Wave 1 started and no enemies appeared. We ran around the map looking for something to kill, but nothing spawned.

:bioware:

Apparently you've won the war!

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

doomfunk posted:

I haven't tried the DR evolutions on it myself, but 15% more damage to anything in the bubble helps a lot against, say, possessed Praetorians and so on.

I feel that DR is most effective when stacked as high as it can be, so if you know you're going to be buddying up to a sentinel, shaman, or kroguard the defensive evolutions could be pretty impressive. Or you could spec Reave for defenses, bubble for defenses, and lean on a gun with a tremendous kick to it and be the Bubbletank.

Yep, damage reduction has increasing returns - the more you have, the more a small increase is worth. A fully defensive bubble with defensive reave will give you 80% DR (which is really 60% DR because of Bioware's stupid formula), and translates to an effective 2.5 times health/shields. Skipping bubble rank 5 leaves you with a 2.1 multiplier, and an offensive bubble 1.8. Pure offense on both reave and bubble is just a 1.2 multiplier.

This is also the reason why taking the final Barrier DR reduction and at least one of the Rage DR evolutions on the Krogan Vanguard is so important. With the 50 DR from charge, its the difference between a 10x multiplier and a 5x multiplier.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Nov 7, 2012

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Alteisen posted:

I don't get this RNG, I the ULTRA RARE vol engie maxed out, and I got another voldept card yesterday but I still don't have some of the basic shipped with the game classes, I've also gotten a nice amount of N7 weapon upgrades. Its stupid.

Yeah, I've almost maxed both of my Volus, and I'm still missing about half of the UR weapons. Instead of just throwing the Volus into the UR mix, packs roll for weapons/character first, then choose the card out of the separate weapon/character pools. This is nice for actually getting new characters, but a pain the rear end once they start being upgraded. At least you can't keep pulling them once you've got all the lights and whatnot!

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Schubalts posted:

Yeah, but you'll just get a level 4 ammo power instead of it rerolling for a different character card.

Do they do that with the UR characters too? Because that's just bullshit - they'd have effectively halved the rate for UR weapons by adding Volus.

vv Ah, okay vvv

Stickman fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 9, 2012

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

How do you Paladin players deal with the phantom/dragoon bum-rush phases of gold/Cerberus (with pubbies)? I feel like I've been doing pretty well running my Paladin on Gold, but when I hit those waves, I just go down constantly. I'll get shot by an approaching dragoon, taking me down to the shield gate, and do a ED stun/snap freeze, dodge a melee attack, then get shot in the face. If I try to run away, I'll get shot in the back of the head by phantom hand cannons (or run into a turret and need to stop).

Pretty much any map with corridors with only two approaches devolve into a hilarious Benny Hill routine of trying to pick people back up faster than they go down, which doesn't seem right at all.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Nov 12, 2012

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

40 Proof Listerine posted:

I usually run with an Acolyte on the Paladin, it's expressly an anti-Phantom cannon. Pop the barriers with a shot, smack the Phantom with a Cryo shield, dispose at your leisure. Energy Drain works well too since it'll fill shields back up.

Dragoons can be staggered in melee, so shield smack -> Snap Freeze/shoot -> smack should handle the situation

If you've got Incinerate, that'll work nicely on the Dragoons inbetween shield smacks.

Thanks! This has definitely helped my survivability against the bum rushes. If they can't smash, they can't shoot between smash frames (though phantom hand cannons to the back of the head still hurt)! I haven't been rolling the Cryo Shield because I decided to try a 65654 build so I could detonate my own non-bugged explosions on everything in pubby games. Its so nice, I'm considering trying a 66606 next to see how that works.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Nov 12, 2012

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

PestiferousTrollop posted:

The melee damage mods for weapons don't up shadow strike damage, correct? And, does the pistol piercing mod do anything on the acolyte?

Shadow strike counts as a melee attack, so melee bonuses affect it, including damage mods.

Explosive projectile weapons (Acolyte, Striker, Falcon, Scorpion) ignore armor reduction and cannot pierce, so piercing mods aren't useful.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Vietnamwees posted:

Don't quote me on it since I'm not sure, but I think Biotic Charge may count as a melee attack because I was Kroguarding, and several times after killing a mook with Biotic Charge it activated Rage Mode.

I've noticed that too, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't get bonuses from +melee. Also, charge activating Rage mode seems pretty inconsistent. Could it just be counting physics kills?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

I just had a fun lag bug I hadn't seen before. Usually, I'll be completely unable to do damage, or shot around a corner, or something equally annoying. This time, I was completely invulnerable. Enemies would try to attack me, but everything would pass right on through. I could still do damage, but couldn't pick up ammo, so I eventually resorted to meleeing atlases.

I like to think that Cerberus' connection to the host was poor. :smug:

kidsam posted:

Have Krogans been nerfed at all in the past 5 months? I almost exclusively played Krogan Sentinel as the head-butting tank strategy really worked for me. I didn't play many Gold matches but on Silver & Bronze I was almost invincible in Rage mode and I kind of expect that to have been fixed (but hopefully not).

Nope, though enemy damage has been buffed since 5 months ago, and there are a few new enemies that you need to be careful of if you are primarily headbutting. Just jump in and try it out! Krogan Vanguard is the go-to class for Kro-slapping, because it really is invincible - try it out if you pull one in a pack!

kidsam posted:

And this is unlikely, but have they added any way to unlock customization options for your character outside of in random drops?

No, Bioware only likes taking money from gambling addicts.

Albino Squirrel posted:

Should I be buying the Recruit packs in order to max out the starting weapons and unlock some new characters? Or should I be saving up for Spectre packs? Is there a 'getting started guide' somewhere in the mists of this thread?

And why the gently caress can't I one-shot anyone with my Infiltrator? THIS IS THE WHOLE POINT OF A SNIPER ARGH

Guns are going to feel underwhelming until you've leveled them a bit / unlocked better ones. The Infiltrator Mantis can one-shot enemies on Silver, but you'll need headshots, which are hard unless your really good at sniping, or have an ability that immobilizes enemies (like the Salarian Inf's Energy Drain).

Human Adept or Sentinel are generally easier for new players, since their damage output comes primarily from biotic explosions rather than weapons. Some recommended builds are linked in the OP.

If you're not it games with people you know, there's also no shame in playing a Bronze or two until you get the feel for a class. One Bronze match will pick you up nearly 4 Recruit packs, so you'll unlock the basic weapons plenty fast. Don't worry about comparing your score to other players, though - since Bioware put in challenges, there's usually one or two jackasses with a Lvl 20 and Ultra-rare guns in every Bronze.

Albino Squirrel posted:

Edit: I am not crazy enough to spend real money on multiplayer.

The real-money purchases are about 200 times more expensive than their value. They really shot for the lowest common denominator.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Nov 14, 2012

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

How did you determine the real-money value of the PSPs? I'm curious.

No math went in to that number. ~20 cents is just what I'd be willing to pay for a pack that might contain that gun or upgrade that I've been waiting for, but will most likely contain lights for my Volus (although I've maxed both now, so at least I don't have to worry about them).

With 20 rare weapons, if a new player wanted to try a particular weapon, they'd need to open ~20 PSPs on average (assuming an average of 1 rare weapon per). At four dollars a pop, that would be 80 bucks to get a level one version of the weapon you want (but not guaranteed). If you wanted to unlock all of the rare weapons at level one, expect to pay about 280 dollars (on average). Characters work the same way. That's not even considering ultra-rares, or leveling weapons!

The argument could be made that you're paying for your time. At ~30-60 minutes per PSP, $4 seems like a steal. Unfortunately, the payoff is just too random for it to be worth it to me (or most people). Ultimately, if they wanted my money, they really needed a system more like Blacklight Retribution (pay for the upgrades you want). Oh, and BLR doesn't have an up-front cost.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Nov 14, 2012

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Pumpking posted:

Elotanas video reminded me I've barely played human vanguard since the demo back in February. Whats a good build? Skipping shockwave? Is half blast or power recharge better for nova? You get more invincibility frames with half blast I know that much.

Elotana's build linked in the OP is very close to what I use. Just replace Power Recharge with half-blast on your second Human Vanguard and try them both. With half-blast, you won't be shooting your gun much, so you could trade out the shotgun for an acolyte. If you don't mind killing stuff slightly slower, Nova radius is nice for making sure absolutely everything gets staggered!

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Lynx posted:

The only way around this is to have the host leave (restarting the wave) and rejoin. At least that's what we do when the drone falls through the floor ten feet from the end.

But yeah, if you're with pubbies you're pretty much screwed.

Does wave restarting ever work on PC? I've had the host leave many times and it's never ever continued the game - I always get kicked back to the main multiplayer menu. It's really annoying.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

jpmeyer posted:

I've had a bug from time to time where on gold (it seems like only gold) it doesn't credit me the experience or credits from the match. It definitely counts it as an extraction and not a drop based on the extraction challenges getting checked off, but the credits/xp never show up.

I've had this a few times (and sometimes it shows up and then disappears). Usually if I log out of multiplayer and log back in a few times the credits and experience show up again. Its probably something to do with database update lag and apparently Bioware is looking into it.

Squall posted:

I still need to unlock 10 classes but it's okay because both of my Volus have lights. :smithicide:

Yeah, I've still got a couple to go, and I've been getting L4 consumables occasionally. The only type of card I have maxed is those drat Volus, so thanks for those UR characters Bioware!

I do love the Volus though... :ohdear:

Stickman fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Nov 17, 2012

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

PestiferousTrollop posted:

What's a good class to put the kishock to use? Seems like on an actual sniper(ability to snipe included) it could be good, but other weapons do better. The lack of hipfire penalty and low magnification seems to encourage closer range use, but it's pretty heavy if you want to use powers much, and having to charge it to get full damage could be tricky.

Also, in the weapon damage document from the OP, is the base projectile damage for the kishock charged or uncharged?

I used it on my BatSent because I suck at headshotting enemies that can move. The base damage is uncharged and max damage is charged. You can fire off your net and still keep your charge (or use the net to reload cancel).

Stickman fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Nov 17, 2012

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

All the remaining classes with the exception of the Drell/Asari Infiltrators and possibly Volus Vanguard look pretty underwhelming. I think class diversity has become oversaturated to the point where there aren't very many interesting power/race combinations left in lieu of actual new abilities. Overall it's not such a big deal since people can always play what they want if they reeeeally like the Krogan Shaman for some weird reason, but it hurts differentiation and readability in the long run, especially since there's no easy way to check in-game what a player's class is.

In the lobby, just take a look at their loadout and it will show you their powers. But yeah, it would have been nice if they would have at least given all the classes unique names!

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

^^^^^^

Stuff like this is why I can't fathom all the love for open maps like Hydra. It seems like every third Gold pubbie game is on Hydra - everyone camps the LZ then gets stunlocked by Primes or Ravagers or Scions :doh:

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Lagomorphic posted:

I've been releveling soldier so I use stronghold gear until I get fitness maxed, then switch out to shocktrooper (shotgun dmg & grenades). I've been using a bunch of different shotguns to get the challenge done; but the Piranha, Reeger, Wrath, Talon, Graal, or Kishock is my shortlist for Bat Soldier Weapons.

The Raider cleans up nicely too, but you may want L3 grenades for the sweet sweet reload cancel. It's beautiful on the Vorcha Sentinel.

Alteisen posted:

Oh so you use shotties, I've been using my Cerb harrier, served me well so far.

Also you where right, blades with that spec are amazing, never had such an easy time against cerberus.

Anything that can stagger mooks while still doing decent damage synergizes well.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 18, 2012

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

DoktorVerderben posted:

Is there anywhere I can find a list of what mods don't work on certain guns like in the above example?

The google doc list of weapons from the OP includes these sorts of factors.

In general, any weapon that fires projectiles is incapable of (extra) penetration and ignores armor. Explosive weapons and the GPR are also incapable of headshots.

Penetration incapable & ignores armor:
Acolyte, Scorpion, Falcon, Striker, GPR, Graal, Kishok (penetrates guardian shields), Krysae

Headshot incapable:
Acolyte, Scorpion, Falcon, Striker, GPR, Krysae

Unaffected by smart choke:
GPR, Reegar, Crusader, Graal (maybe)

Also, the Sniper Ammo mod doesn't do anything for the Collector Sniper, since it only boost spare ammo.

Burning Mustache posted:

There are also some hitscan weapons that have an innate piercing ability, like the Crusader or the Javelin, and I'm not sure whether penetration mods don't work on those either or whether their bonus will just stack with a diminishing bonus.

Penetration mods stack distance as well as reducing the armor damage reduction. I believe the reduced armor only stacks to 90%, but don't quote me on that!

Weapons with innate penetration:
Typhoon (0.25 m), Crusader (0.5), Widow (0.5), Kishok (guardian shields), Black Widow (0.25), and Javelin (1)

The Javelin also does full damage when fired through walls!

Stickman fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Nov 18, 2012

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Zoran posted:

I'm fairly certain all the weapons with innate piercing do full damage. They used to have their (post-penetration) damage reduced when used in conjunction with piercing mods, but that was supposedly fixed.

Man, this just makes me wish there was a shotgun thermal scope (besides being a geth)!

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
Eletona's Shotty Geth build melts faces. You'll have one extra evolution to play around with - I usually put it in prox mine damage, but shield recharge can be useful on gold/platinum. If you are planning on using a shotgun besides the GPS (piranha does wonderful things!) then it might worth taking accuracy in r4 hunter mode and headshot damage for r5 networked AI.

E: Pretty much what UnknownMercenary posted!

Stickman fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 18, 2012

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Zoran posted:

I was referring to damage through walls; things like the Crusader still have their damage reduced by armor and benefit from that aspect of the piercing mods.

Oh, I'd put the hv barrel on anyway for maximum wallage, no doubt! Plus the Crusader doesn't care much about armor anyway (630 vs. 570 on my Crusader I).

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Nordick posted:

If you get the timing right, you can shoot someone with the blades and then falcon punch them just as the blades go off, so it'll look like you're punching the guy so hard he explodes to bloody chunks! :haw:

Its also totally worth slumming a bronze just to fire blades into a spawn and walk away slowly.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

TastyLemonDrops posted:

It's worth slumming into bronze to finish off lovely weapons challenges. I'm looking at you, Incisor :colbert:

I finished that in Silver with a L10 Batsent. Treated it like a shotgun with a ridiculous scope - ran up in their face, threw and net, and unloaded two bursts to the head.

I doubled the score of the other three L20s, though I'm not sure if that says more about them or the strategy.

Also, you can get three sniping headshots if you move your mouse downward while bursting (not sure if the xbox equivalent would work). Works okay, but still not worth the effort when you can just put a scope on the Argus.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Nov 19, 2012

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Sidestepping also seems to fix it in some situations. When I hear ding-ding-ding, starting to move sideways sets off charge about 80% of the time. The other 20% I die. The charge targeting is why I find it really hard to go back to the human vanguard after unlocking the Kroguard and Batguard - having DR stacked to the point of invincibility during heavy melee means that even if you do take damage between charges, you are rarely even at the shield gate before charge comes up again. Kroguard is still my go-to solo class if I'm feeling anti-social or have a string of bad luck with pubbies.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

I just tried out the Wraith with Omni-Blade and HV Barrel, and it definitely applied the weight penalties.

In the same game I also learned:
- Brutes have a short charge that looks like a charge but is actually a melee (after which they can sync kill you)
- Don't Falcon punch near walls with Banshees on the other side!
- Falcon punch is slow, Banshees cover ground quickly!
- Banshees on ramps can sync kill you if they blink to the same level (rather than below or above).

I'm sure this isn't news to anyone, but my poor team! :cry:

vvv Nope, just the Wraith, though I did only play the one game. vvv

Stickman fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Nov 20, 2012

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

TheDK posted:

\/ ok cool, wasn't sure on the BX bonuses. Probably best to just stick with 6/6/6/4/4 I guess.

Yeah, even on Bronze, the majority of your damage will come from setting off Biotic Explosions every 3-4 seconds (and explosion damage scales). If you really want to try maximizing damage, go for 66653 and see if you miss that extra 75 health/shields.

Also, don't forget to include effective health/shields from tech armor DR if you're looking at the trade-offs. Assuming you took full DR in Tech Armor, you end up with a 100/(100 - 50*0.75) = 1.6 multiplier to shields/health (the *0.75 is because Bioware likes lying with numbers and DR is really 75% of the listed value). Hence, 6 TA / 4 (or 5) fitness effectively has 1120 H/S (as opposed to your calculated 825 for 06666). 6 TA and 3 fitness gives you 1000 effective H/S.

In general, stopping at R5 in fitness is not worthwhile except on melee builds - you're better off staying at 4 or going all the way to 6. A 6/5 explosions does 94% of the damage of a 6/6 explosion, so 66554 would definitely be viable.

E: Your damage values for throw are actually the force. If you want a better idea of the damage your powers are doing to health/armor etc., throw your build into Narida's class builder.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 20, 2012

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

jpmeyer posted:

Welp, finally unlocked the the weapon challenges.

Man, I had the opposite experience with a lot of those guns (barring the obvious best guns, of course).

I suck at sniping, so I used the Batarian Sentinal for most of the sniper challenges. The easiest ended up being the Raptor and Indra (partly because their scopes have sane zoom), though I was pleasantly surprised by the Incisor (w/HV and thermal), and even took it for a few spins on Gold. The Black Widow didn't really match my style - not quite enough damage to one-shot mooks and not enough bullets for me to reliable headshot more than once. Widow was great though!

The biggest surprise was the GPR - with an HV and thermal on a Ghost, its massive stream of headshots melted pretty much anything in Gold. Its no Harrier, but is definitely gold viable with the right class / mods (and the RNG gods hadn't seen fit to grant me a Harrier anyway). With the 3x headshot multiplier and the laser accuracy, I ended up liking it better than the Phaeston. Its also a fun sniper weapon on the TS. The Striker was also way more effective (on a Ghost) than I expected.

vvv Arc Pistol is awesome on the Havok. The charge time is so fast, you'll nearly always have one ready when havok strike comes up. Of course, the Acolyte is a thing that exists, but it gets boring to use it exclusively all the time. vvv

Stickman fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Nov 21, 2012

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

I've been running into the profile update bug a lot - where your credits and xp are reverted to pre-match values. This is easily fixed by logging/restarting ME3 a time or two, but I decided to try running another match after loosing credits to see what would happen. When I relogged, I had credits and xp for the second match but not the first, and the credits from the first match seem gone for good.

Basically, check your credits/level after each match, and if they don't look right make sure to relog before running any other matches!

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

Does the Raider fire fast enough to get the cloak damage bonus for both shots?

By far! You've got 2.5 seconds, so the Wraith, Graal, Crusader, Disciple, and Piranha can empty their clips as well, as can the GPS if you've charged it and use the fast-fire follow-up.

Cheap Vodka posted:

I'm always hesitant to play Volus among vanguards figuring they're going to zip away and I'll have to go chasing after. The high HP classes definitely seem to benefit more in tanking though. Last round I played was two Havocs and a Geth and they held their ground pretty well until the sync kill happened.

When they zip away, they get their own recharge though. When they really need it is 3-5 seconds off a charge, by which point you might be caught up again (and is about the length of your cloak).

jpmeyer posted:

Also, I am pretty sure that I managed to oneshot a Nemesis from full health on silver with a headshot from a fully charged new Arc Pistol :stare:

The charged Arc Pistol fires 3 shots with 3x damage each, which apparently comes out to ~870 damage. That's about the same damage as a Black Widow VII, with the added benefit of counting as 3 shots so only losing a maximum of a quarter of its damage to the shield gate. :aaa: AND it charges in one second, so you can fire off charged shots as fast as the Black Widow, BUT you also get 6 charged shots per clip (with a mod to add 5 more), AND it reloads twice as fast.

To put at another way, it's a slower firing, harder hitting Paladin X with about the same single clip DPS, but a larger clip. Better performance against shield gates, but worse against armor, and the ability to rapid-fire in a pinch (and better ammo power application).

Man, now I wish they'd add a thermal scope for pistols!

Stickman fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Nov 21, 2012

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Also, the game is a hell of a lot more mobile now, so unless you really like sniping things, you should really give the other classes (or shotty infiltrators) a go.

^^^ I have two weapons left to unlock. One is the Javelin (and the other is the collector smg, thank the star child). URs!!! :argh: ^^^

E: In my experience, Submission Net targeting seems to be hugely affected by lag. I've had a few games on the BatSent where I could shoot just fine, but the net would either fly off into space (I assume the enemies were dodging, but not playing the animation), or just fly right through them (even bosses). I don't have the Vorcha Sentinel, so I'm not sure if the problem is worse on it, but my guess is you just had too much lag.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Nov 21, 2012

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Lagomorphic posted:

Here's my build. If you have a Talon you can also use that with a scope and piercing mod instead.

Have you tried the primed damage evolution for R5 grenades? It seems like it would be worth the 2 grenades for a huge damage boost against bosses (presumably its multiplicative).

I think collectors would be my favorite enemy if:
- Praetorians made some kind of noise while floating. Because of their speed and the instant spawn system, it waaay too easy for them to sneak up on you, and then stagger, stagger, sync kill! Fun!

- Scions either have reduced tracking so its actually possible to dodge their shots on a regular basis, or get rid of the shield recharge delay effect. As they are, I'm elated when they become possessed, because it means I can actually move around the map without stagger, stagger, shot by collector captain.

As they are, the synergy between Scions and Praetorians/abominations is just too much for open maps (I'm looking at you, Hydra), at least for gold pick-up games. It's also possible I just suck!

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

precision posted:

edit: ^^^^ Holy poo poo why haven't you ever told me that, I have always thought "lifted" really did mean "floating in the air" this whole time. :argh:

Yeah, I get that, it just seems weird and obtuse to have that be a number value you can see in-game when there is literally zero documentation for how it works or what its effects actually are (viz. taking damage when thrown into a wall etc).

The second time I played the single player, I used a Vanguard who didn't Charge, just used Pull, Slam, and Shockwave, and drat it, why isn't Slam in the Multiplayer? It's like Lash, but a little better because it doesn't send the (still-alive) enemy flying God Knows Where.

The google doc of enemy health also list force values needed to stagger at different difficulty levels. Gold/Plat Phantoms are 1K Newtons, so that would be a good value to shoot for. 1200 N staggers a Gold Prime!

And besides zero documentation, Charge, Throw, and Cluster Grenades seem to be the only powers that actually list force values, despite many powers being able to stagger some enemies.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 21, 2012

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Carrasco posted:

That's probably why they made it rare instead of ultrarare.

Which just makes it harder to get!

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

VJeff posted:

btw, re: Cluster Grenades, Rank 5. I looked this up last night, here's what BSN had to say. http://social.bioware.com/forums/for...7811/3/forum/1/topic/343/index/13148138/1

It's BSN though, so it could be wrong, but I pick the extra grenades just to be safe.

A more recent thread indicate that it does work on primed targets. However, once you hit a primed target, it's no longer primed, so only one shrapnel benefits from the 100% damage boost (against a single target). Its uncertain how this interacts with multiple targets. And if you take the extra shrapnel evolution for maximum group explosions, you'll only get a 33% boost.

It sounds like if you're speccing for maximum group carnage, the boost might be minimal, but its still a hefty single-target boost if you take R6 damage instead of shrapnel.

Ravenfood posted:

Getting explosions doesn't mean you're getting the boosted explosions. You always get BEs from Reave + Cluster, but if those get a nice damage boost, its even nicer.

It's very unlikely that the damage boost would affect the BE damage, since explosion damage is dependent only on the level of the powers and any "detonate" evolutions (and the difficulty level). It would give the direct damage from cluster grenades a nice boost though! The boost would primarily be useful against bosses, since mooks will go down with the standard Reave+Cluster+BE combo.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Nov 22, 2012

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

If you're not going to spec into power damage with your tech armor there's not much point in getting it at all in my opinion. The mitigation you get from the first 4 evolutions barely beats out maxing Fitness with a baked in recharge penalty.

Edit: these numbers are wrong (unless you have a Cyclonic III)!

If you doing hit-and-run with a single explosion, then waiting for shield recharge, you probably won't notice the recharge penalty. TA/Fitness at 0/6 gives you 1325 shields, while 4/4 gives you ~1700 plus increased benefit from stacked DR (if you can get a Volus to follow you around, you'll have 3700 effective shields, as opposed to 2100 with a 0/6 build). I haven't tried this build personally, but it seems viable enough. It would just require a bit more care and planning, since BE staggers won't be up as often.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Nov 22, 2012

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

wei posted:

It's effectively 1167 Shields with 4/4 TA/Fitness, and 825 with 6 Fitness (no gear/consumables). With a Reegar X Tech Armour raises Warp's CD from 3.33s to 4.21s, which isn't too bad considering you're not dependent on Warp spam.

^^^ There's also the shield/barrier healing from AF explosions to consider.

Ah, I had a Cyclonic III on in the character builder when I looked up base values!

Because of the way DR works (its actually 75% of the listed value), 4/4 is actually 1000 effective shields, while 0/6 is 825. With a Volus you'd be at 2150 with 4/4 and 1320 with 0/6. It looks like its not much of a difference unless you can stack some extra DR (or have a Cyclonic).

Do AF explosions recharge shields, or just AF DOT damage?

RyuHimora posted:

So for the last few days as a gimmick, I've been playing with putting a sniper rifle on my Human Vanguards.

I would like to have this classified as Not A Gimmick after leading for three silver matches and then getting second in a gold with very close scoring.

While its certainly something you can do, if you want to combine sniping with charge for sneaking enemies, you'd probably be better off with any of the other vanguards (so you have powers that are actually useful while sniping). Drell gets you cluster grenades, pull, maneuverability, and an extra 5% weapon damage (15 for headshots). You lose 5% weapon damage with the Asari, but get Statis and Lift Grenades. Krogan gives you massive survivability. Phoenix costs you 2.5% weapon damage, but lets you toss lashes around, as does the Batguard (which also gives you extra ammo and durability). Without something extra, you're trading a little bit of survivability for only doing 40% of the damage of an infilitrator. And since Salarian Infiltrator can recharge shields with energy drain, its not even that big of a survivability boost.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Nov 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Houdini posted:

Also, do the cannibal cannibalism and the marauder suspend in the air tricks actually apply the armour boost? It's something I've never really understood. I didn't notice it do anything in single player either though.

Both grant a bunch of visible armor plates, each of which absorbs one hit before falling off. If you have armor piercing, you'll still do reduced damage with that shot (just like a guardian's shield). Unless you have a low fire rate gun without ap, you're not really going to notice the dame mitigation.

wei posted:

Ah, okay. I didn't realise it worked like that. This game has silly mechanics. Yeah, AF explosions recharge shields. It's a ghetto Biotic Charge that only restores your shields on shielded enemies and fails to work when you don't notice Annihilation Field has expired :saddowns:

That's good to know. The problem with AF's duration is that it is so long that it's impossible for me to tell when it's about to expire. That, combined with the toggle bug, mean I spend way too much time on the ground when I try to play the Fury or Valkyrie. I hope they add some kind of duration timer or visual decay effect for ME4.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 22, 2012

• Locked thread