Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I decided to start playing again this weekend after not playing since before the second MP DLC. Played a few silver matches and realized I have no idea what's going on anymore. Is there a newbie guide anywhere that I can use to brush up on my knowledge?

Also here is my profile if anyone has some suggestions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Is there a general strats page for how to play as those builds? The only thing I know is Vanguards should always be chargin, should I just be spamming melee with the Krogan soldier?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Burning Mustache posted:

Reegar, GPS, Claymore and Piranha are all excellent shotguns that serve slightly different roles. Claymore is fun on Human Soldier (instant reload when you activate Adrenaline Rush) or on Infiltrators. Piranha is good for Vanguards or gun-centric Soldiers, though you may want to put a Smart Choke on it. Reegar is also really good for Infiltrators or Melee Krogan (strip Shields and Barriers with the Reegar, then beat the crap out of them. Try this with a Krogan Sentinel specced for maximum melee damage).

Are shotguns good for Quarian infiltrators or should I stick to snipers?

Sometimes I get bored hanging in the back shooting at things.

Also my snipers are bad so I just have a Mantis X.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Are you guys just soloing a bronze map to get your medals? I can barely get to 50 in most games, even intentionally cherry picking when I can. And I can't seem to solo a bronze map yet.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I appreciate the advice, but I don't have any nice things :(

http://social.bioware.com/n7hq/home/inventory/?name=SA%20IcePhoenix&platform=xbox what would you guys suggest I do with my current setup?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I should have phrased that better. I don't have anything people are suggesting to use for a bronze solo and I am not entirely sure what I can do. The farthest I got was wave six with my Quarian Infiltrator against Geth but I ran out of time on eliminating targets. That's the only time I ever got past wave four, though.

I've had the most luck getting to 50 with the Saber on said infiltrator in public games. I can usually get two or three shots off before the cloak runs out.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

None of my friends play ME anymore, but jumping in public games doesn't really bother me. Sometimes you get good players, sometimes you get really bad ones, but overall it is still fun.

e: I added my name to the list in the OP but I accidently put an underscore in the gamertag where there should just be a space, if whoever has edit powers could fix it :downs:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Thanks for the advice guys. I tried out Hydra like Cometa Rossa suggested and got it on my second try, and now have a Valiant II :toot: The extra space to run around really made a huge difference.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Semisponge posted:

The damage is less important than being able to shoot through walls because :sicknasty:

Also killing multiple enemies with one shot.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

will buying equipment packs give me a better chance for capacity upgrades? I'm still at two across the board.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Burning Mustache posted:

I don't think equipment packs will give capacity upgrades at all. All they can give are the consumables themselves.

I think capacity upgrades being Gold cards, your best bets will probably be PSPs.

yeah, I've been buying PSPs, though I might start switching to SPs just so I can get more things in general.

Is there still a community gamertag or do people just use the spreadsheet nowadays? Be nice to get into some goon games this weekend.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I got a Valkyrie this week which I have determined to be a piece of poo poo. Maybe I'm just using it wrong and someone will tell me so.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I was using it with a Turian Soldier but I want my assault rifles to either do a lot of damage or fire a constant stream of bullets, which the Valk does neither of.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lately it seems like whenever I get into a good gold game I lose connection to the EA servers. Is it always this bad?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Cometa Rossa posted:

I just unlocked the QMI and the Reegar and I have seen the face of God.

Please explain this for someone who is still out of his comfort zone on basically everything but the regular QI

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Demitri Omni posted:

The ups and downs of Bioware's RNG are plentiful.

Just got my third volus engineer card. Pretty sure I've unlocked less than half the classes.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Relentless posted:

Crusader 1, woooooo.

Crusader I crew

Should I toss that on my QMI or stick with a Claymore III?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

If I take power bonus on a quarian does that increase the damage bonus I get while cloaked?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Is there somewhere with updated recommended builds? Seems like the ones linked to in the OP are outdated and I don't want to have to ask for advice every time I unlock a new character. I don't know how current the weapons google doc is but at least it provides a good starting point since I would think weapons don't change that much.

Also the forced point at level one when you unlock a character sucks and I want it to go away.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

this is exactly what I was looking for, thanks

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Got a Hurricane :toot:

Also maxed out the Volus Engineer. Maybe now I can get one of the other 30 classes I haven't even unlocked now (I haven't even maxed all the common ones).

I also got the N7 Shadow, do I just go 6/0/6/6/6 and stab everything?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I just got the Asari Huntress and have some questions that are probably pretty dumb :v:

If I prime with Dark Channel does it get completely removed when I it the target with Warp or will it stay on/transfer after the explosion (depending on if the target dies)?

The character guide page on the bioware forums only has a melee build, is there a standard stay back and blow things up build? Whenever I try melee builds I die a lot.

I just threw my new Hurricane on her, is there a better weapon?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I unlocked the Vorcha Sentinel and it was amazing running around all :black101: with the reegar and flamer and melee, but it seemed like the necessity of being close range for everything got me into a few bad situations. Should I use a different gun?

e: my bioware page, since I have a somewhat limited arsenal: http://social.bioware.com/n7hq/home/overview/?name=SA%20IcePhoenix&platform=xbox

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Feb 25, 2013

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

precision posted:

Just join Platinum games, there's a 99% chance it'll be missile glitchers.

I'm just gonna do Platinum/Glacier/Biotic teams.

What is this missile glitch?

Also I see people post about reload cancelling a lot, what does that mean? I'm pretty sure it's something I sometimes do by accident but knowing how to do it all the time is probably a good thing.

Dr. Abysmal posted:

After finally getting to watch, that vanguard looks like it's going to take some getting used to when it comes to knowing the range of the main power, either he would fly way past whatever target he was after (and it was hard to tell if he actually hit anything despite them saying there was feedback to it) or fall short. I'm most interested in the Collector though simply because we didn't see what he could do, and I wonder if he's just gonna make bug noises or if he's gonna have a reaper voice.

I think you just hit everything in your path (up to a maximum) with the poison charge.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Doc Dee posted:

I missed part of the broadcast earlier, but I caught the Juggernaught and Talon, they were about to switch to the AIU when I lost internet and came back for the Warlord. Did they go over the Cabalguard?

I think you misheard because he switched to the Cabal after the Talon. Edibot was on a different dev's stream.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

precision posted:

I realized tonight that Platinum is actually easier than Gold, for a bunch of reasons I'm too lazy to type right now. But the main one is that truly awful players don't play Platinum.

is there a gear threshold to not just getting insta-kicked from these?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Thanks for carrying me through a few games Jelly, Lt. Origin (I'm pretty sure I spelled this wrong), and Baron von Moose! Hopefully I can get some more goon games going so I can carry weapons with a number higher than III :v: Although I felt like I was getting a good rhythm going with the Huntress those last couple games so maybe I wasn't completely useless.

One of these days I'll figure out what the deal is with my mic.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Feb 26, 2013

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I wasn't expecting this to drop so soon, why do I have to be stuck in class for another hour :supaburn:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The collector is a ridiculous amount of fun. Does anyone know if the swarms are a DoT or if the damage listing for them is total damage?

e: which weapons are prothean, aside from the particle rifle? I want to use something to take advantage of the damage boost but I also want to keep weight down so I can keep exploding everything with his giant ball.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

running 6/6/6/6/0 as the AIU with a reegar is really fun :v:

Hopefully I get a respec card soon though because, having never had a snap freeze class before, I went for the increased duration/extra movement decrease on the second evo instead of the increased damage to chilled targets.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Syrinxx posted:

What packs are the best to buy if I have not played since before the first DLC? I have about 20 bux of Xbox points ready to blow but I need everything basically from both expansions.

I buy specter packs. I get an extra rare roughly every third pack or so, a decent amount of URs, and it helps me fill out my uncommons or restock on consumables faster as well.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Two stupid questions! (plus bad ones related to them)

1: Can snap freeze detonate effects from ammo? Or can certain ammo detonate snap freeze? Which ones?

2: I think I've heard about some guns not applying ammo effects, which ones are they?

I just want to run around with my AIU and blow everything up :allears:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Monolith. posted:

EDI bot: Bonus power or shotgun damage?

I go shotgun damage since you just fire it right after snap freeze anyways. Damage output can get a bit insane and I love it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

360 goons, get me in a game, pub games take so long even when we extract :negative:

GT: SA IcePhoenix (with a space not an underscore) or just look me up from the metatag

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

It is really frustrating when the repair matrix doesn't revive me :(

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Alteisen posted:

I cannot sing the praises of the edibot enough, she is just a monster, been rocking her with a reegar, snap freezing everything then shooting, things just melt before me, the repair matrix makes you a great medic to since you move so drat fast, it honestly makes her so survivable that I'm expecting a nerf, its that broken, I mean poo poo I sat in pyro fire while reviving someone and didn't lose shields, and even if I die I just pop back up again.

Warlord can be good on gold, ONLY if you fight Geth though, any other faction just eats him alive.

One of these days I might have to try a build with max fitness just to see how tanky I can really get with her. Until then, though, I'm just gonna keep the cloak->freeze->shotgun train rolling and then go do flips around my teammates.

e: I always assumed that the damage bonus from cloak is based off base damage of the thing it is using. Is it? Or is it applied based on other boosting effects like the bonuses you get from filling out a power's tree?

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Feb 27, 2013

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I finally got the mattock :haw:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Pops Mgee posted:

Just saw a neon pink collector running around in my game. Lore be damned, that poo poo is amazing.

That may have been me! I figured why not :v:

Sidenote: I have revised my opinion of the collector to "amazing." Dark Orb into a crowd -> Dark Channel -> Detonate orb -> hit everything left standing with swarms and you have the Mass Effect version of the 1812 overture. Running 6/6/6/5/3 but I might swap it around a bit and roll with one less seeker swarm to get the last power boost from the passive. Managed to hit 100k on Reaper Gold with a team that generally knew what they were doing.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Psion posted:

Reegars can headshot, that's big against armor. Maybe that explains why it's inconsistent for you, Bruceski.

:aaa: I didn't realize this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

tiberion02 posted:

6.0.6.6.6 Melee EDI bot is goddamn amazing. Sprint around the map with a Reegar with the holo-blade attachment... open every fight with a heavy melee.

Knocks random mooks into the stratisphere.

I was thinking of trying a melee build on the AIU so this is great news.

• Locked thread