Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Bastard Tetris posted:

N7 Fury and Slayer make a goddamn disgusting close range combo. As long as the slayer's in front, you can set up combos on drat near everything. I know biotic slash sets off AF and DC, not so sure on phase disruptor.

But with the credits I got from the last murderscape, I unlocked the Demolisher. I don't know how to spec it :coal:

This is what I roll with.
http://narida.pytalhost.com/me3/classes/#25MNMFF@0@0@A@@@0@0@0@0

The additional grenade capacity gear is helpful but without it you still get a reasonable five grenades. As long as you can stay close to your supply pylon you can throw two grenades every twelve seconds and get topped off with your supply pylon. More if you're within reach of resupply crates. The DoT evolutions lets you trip off Tech Bursts when you throw an Arc and Homing Grenade in succession and Fire Explosions in the reverse order if the Arc Grenade kills something.

Throw in any heavy weapon you want since you don't give a drat about cooldown times. I'm running with a Harrier and a Piranha which works together quite well although both need armor-piercing or warp ammo on Gold and higher to take down bosses that much more quickly. Even with the armor damage evolution on Homing grenades, unless your squadmates are focus firing on boss units, the Harrier only chips away at the armor and the Piranha doesn't do nearly enough damage in one magazine to kill bosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Elotana posted:

EDIT: New pubbie highlight, a vorcha who treated the Striker like a bolt-action never firing more than one shot at a time. Don't stagger the Phantoms, that would be impolite!

It's possible he didn't know that the Striker is fully automatic and its firing speed ramps up. I made the same mistake when I first got it where I just tapped the trigger. The initial rate of fire was so slow that it never occurred to me that it could be automatic. I later realized what it could do when I either inadvertently held the trigger down and saw what it could do or read the weapon description.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Hyperactive posted:

"Not only is there nothing wrong with how that happened, I believe this is the most perfectly balanced unit in the game."

Is this guy perpetually high, just that stupid, or just that arrogant and never played the game (or any other games) in depth?

Hell, a Heavy+Medic combo is more balanced than the Phantom.

I know I've done this joke before but that quote seriously pisses me off. It doesn't matter if they really believe that or they're that loving lazy to rebalance the enemies. Borderlands 2 can't come any sooner. Now that is looking to be a fun and balanced game.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Gatac posted:

That said, if N7 Paladin didn't have the silly quirk of having tech bursts you trigger with Snap Freeze being centered on you, I wouldn't give the SalEng another look. Incinerate on either is pretty much solely a tech burst trigger, and Decoy feels a little too uneven - amazing against Geth, not so good against everything else.

Although it won't always happen, it's amazing when a boss goes for the decoy and attack it with futility. Particularly when it's a Banshee since they just look at it stupidly wondering why it can't grab it while you and your teammates focus fire it to death. I don't score that amazingly well with a Salarian Engineer but I can usually stay alive using the Decoy to draw fire while I attack from cover, flank, or retreat. You usually have to plop it somewhere pretty open so that the enemies will see it before they see you or a teammate.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

1st AD posted:

gently caress this game. I was playing a Geth/Giant/Gold match with my Kroguard and it was down to a single Geth Prime; the rest of the group wiped and I was out of gel. There was like one sliver of armor left on the thing and my shields went down - so I charged. Well, I pressed the charge button anyways, and nothing happened. And I pressed it again and again. Nothing. Then I died.

I was hosting the drat game too!

Attacks with stun including the Geth Primes attack will sometimes cause your powers to "jam." The only way I've found to remedy it is the fire your weapon. I don't know if that was intentional but it is complete bullshit either way.

Basically, gently caress you Bioware. You can't design or program a game for poo poo anymore.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Paracelsus posted:

This implies that they ever could. Not only have the Mass Effect games all been crash/bug-prone, even KOTOR had glitches and crashes all over the place. And all of these were on console versions, where there's really no excuse.

I was giving them the benefit of the doubt since this is actually the first game I've personally played from them though I haven't touched the single player. I can thank my brother (who I think has played every recent Bioware game) for getting me into this mess.

So what gives? Does EA not give Bioware enough money, time, and manpower to put out a polished and (predominately) bug-free game? Or is that not how Bioware does things? :v:

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

On the naming scheme conversation, mines a mix of sci-fi anime characters, particularly from Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, and Ghost in the Shell. I try to pick names that the game characters closely resemble although it's mainly just a crap shoot.

Running out of appropriate names and anime, I ended up naming my N7 characters after six of the seven classes from the Fate series. Also because they match up surprising well in some cases. I even gave them the same color scheme as their counterparts in Fate/Zero even though their genders don't always match up. The Fury is named Caster, the Destroyer is Berserker, the Demolisher is Archer, the Paladin is Lancer, the Shadow is Assassin, and the Slayer is Saber, leaving Rider unclaimed.

How nerdy is that?

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Be that as it may, at least I think it's more fun to play without having to deal with numerous bugs that can adversely effect and break game play and bullshit game mechanics like stun and instant kills. Plus, you get far more opportunities to get more weapons so the RNG loving you over won't be nearly as big of a deal. Especially since you're not committing so much time and/or real money to get them.

Plus, the game starts up on the PC in a quarter of the time that Mass Effect 3 takes. (or less) :v:

Basically, I find Borderlands more pleasant and less frustrating to play.

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Oct 1, 2012

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

TwistedLadder posted:

Also, to whoever said they have a huge wait between screens, that happens to me too. Forever to open the game, forever for the menu screen to respond (it has to check the DLC every time!) and forever to open the multiplayer or open the store in the multiplayer. I think it's a pretty ubiquitous issue.

Well they've got to make completely, absolutely, fully, definitively, comprehensively, assuredly, wholly, confidently, outright, soundly, thoroughly, perfectly, totally, utterly, entirely, 100% sure and without a doubt that your game and DLC are legitimate and that you didn't steal from them. Regardless of how long it actually takes because money means more to them than user experience. :v:

Oh wait.

EDIT: Added more synonyms to stress the unnecessarily long checks that EA/Bioware goes through that slows down the game's startup.

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 13, 2012

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Lagomorphic posted:

I don't think anyone in this thread has that mindset. You posted about a build and someone commented on it. It tends to happen in a game discussion thread. You can always ignore any advice given and no one will care. I've learned a lot from people criticizing my builds though.

Also, respeccing your character (and getting them back to full strength) is rather time consuming. You'll have to live with the build you made until you have a respec card or promote your class and relevel them up.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

KingShiro posted:

I've seen the same thing happen with the N7 Infiltrator. Some guy was using it as a sniping class. Never saw a Shadow Strike or Melee the entire game.

I've always wondered what goes through the minds of players who slap heavy weapons onto caster classes and fruitlessly try to snipe. Are they expecting their sick Call of Duty/Modern Warfare skills to own and score better than everyone else that's using their powers properly and exploiting biotic and tech explosions? Do they even grasp the concept that there are different classes including one that is specifically meant running and gunning?

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Nordick posted:

Host your own games and you can use them just fine! Seriously, this is a good idea no matter where you live.

What about the poor schmuck from another continent that gets dropped into your game, can't do jack poo poo thanks to the lag, and curses the daylights out of Bioware and EA for making such a terrible multiplayer matchmaking system?

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

precision posted:

I see no balance problems with this. :colbert:

Particularly since it still doesn't protect you from stagger.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

SubponticatePoster posted:

I keep buying Arsenal packs and getting character cards. :shepicide:

:bioware:

Well, at least they don't cost more than PSPs.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

My brother and I are trying to finish the platinum challenge but only one group of pubbies actually worked out. The rest have been worthless. Anyone that can help us out, my Origin ID is Edward_IV

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Well what do you know. That jackass constantly throwing the Dark Channel is my brother. Didn't think he could do that badly without me. Jeez.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

SubponticatePoster posted:

And to gently caress things up even further, infiltrator cloak has a set cooldown if you break it by using a power or firing a weapon. As long as you don't let the duration expire the cooldown is in the neighborhood of 4 seconds and it will override any other power's cooldown. So if for example you are playing SalInf and the cooldown on proxy mine is 8 seconds but you cloak first, then shoot proxy mine you will only have a 4 second cooldown instead of having to wait the 8 seconds on proxy mine.

So if you're an infiltrator cloak before doing any loving thing at all because :iia:

This is particularly awesome on the Drell Assassin. It mitigates Recon Mine's 16 second recharge time and you can spec it to go all out on damage which is enough to kill most unshielded enemies. There is nothing like detonating recon mine and watch everything around it die. :torgue:

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I've been without XBL for almost 6 months now. I got a 3-month sub back in summer; before that, I didn't have XBL for a full year. So it's been a while since I've played ME3 MP. Glad to see some husk of community is still alive and kicking. I'm waiting for a bright future where EA just gives ME3 to :steam: and the MP runs over :steam:'s servers and I don't have to deal with Origin/EA ever again and I'll have a unicorn and psychic puppies and a magical diamond crown, is that too much to hope for

:negative:

Actually it kind of is. EA is pure evil and just wants to make money. As long as enough customers are buying their stuff and aren't leaving or requesting refunds in droves or suing them for doing a shoddy job, then they'll be satisfied with releasing a half assed product and never fixing it while trying to incorporate ways to wring even more money from customers. Okay the pure evil may be a bit over the top but this is probably their modus operandi.

Mass Effect 3 is most likely never coming to Steam. Particularly because it means less money for EA and ME3 is so heavily dependent on Origin that porting it to use Steam and Steamworks is a significant undertaking. It's probably easier for EA to fix the game's bugs than transition it to Steam.

After Mass Effect 3, Sim City, and Battlefield 4, I'm wary of buying any game developed by EA or one of their studios. As much as I want to be hopeful of Titanfall, I can't because of EA's track record. (And not because it's on the Xbox One. That's the least of my potential issues with the game.)

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Mr Dog posted:

As opposed to benevolent not-for-profit videogame developers such as...?

Well even more so than other developers. As Felinoid pointed out, EA is more interested in making as much money as possible and maximizing profits than making a good, well polished and supported game that they actually put some love into and making business decisions that benefit the customers. Hell, the whole reason EA created Origin was because they didn't want to give Valve a cut of game sale profits and was against the idea of occasionally discounting games. So they ended up creating a shoddy imitation of Steam and Steamworks that's almost in every way inferior. If Titanfall did turn out to be a good game, I would get it for the Xbox One because I refuse to use Origin any more than I have to.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

El Mido posted:

Watch as Bioware outsources it to Gearbox and we get Mass Effect: Alliance Marines. :smith:

Well, at least Gearbox can't outsource to TimeGate anymore and funnel money earmarked for outside projects to their own projects. Although who knows if they can sucker another developer and publisher to take the fall.

And as horribly balanced as their New Game+ modes are, at least Borderlands 2 has a usable multiplayer setup that isn't glitched and broken as hell, a less cumbersome control scheme, and doesn't severely punish you for loving up regardless if it was actually your fault or the game's.

Granted I avoided A:CM but I'd rather play a game that Gearbox has put effort into than another Bioware/EA game. The fact that I (potentially) avoid Origin is another bonus.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Smol posted:

Ping is no problem when you've got good company.

The stability of the server and net code on the other hand...:shepicide:

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

So I'm tired of constantly pubbing and trying my luck on Gold and Platinum ever since I got a Harrier IX last month. Just one more level and I can stop constantly playing this game every night and do something more productive.

Origin ID is: Edward_IV

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

coke zero mit mayo posted:

ME3's combat is loving fantastic and probably the sole reason why the multiplayer is still as popular as it is.

Which is unfortunately marred by a lot of bugs, some badly designed and annoying enemies, and a gameplay setup that essentially forces you to stick for the entire duration of the match which can last from 30 to 45 minutes with a good team. That is if you want to get paid but there is always the option to convert your real money to space fun bux and roll for a random small chance at getting new characters and weapons. Microtransactions :argh:

Take away one of those problems and the game would become a lot more enjoyable to play. Otherwise it's frustrating to play with occasional moments of brilliance and I just don't have the time and energy for that anymore nor do I want to destroy anymore keyboards from fits of rage when the game fucks me over one too many times

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Maybe I'm screwing myself over trying to play with pubs on Gold instead of playing with goons. And maybe I should just play for fun rather than playing for credits but my Harrier IX won't upgrade to a Harrier X on its own. It taunts me and I shall have it and then I can take it easy.

However, you can't tell me that you're fine with poo poo like magnetic sync kills (or sync kills in general), stun lock, and Collectors in general. It's no fun not being able to do anything just because you were in the wrong place at the wrong time and it wasn't clear that you shouldn't have been there in the first place but you didn't have much choice because you got flushed out of cover.

And while I may have mistaken and exaggerated how long a Gold game with a good team can take, 15 to 25 minutes is still a long time to get locked into or else you get nothing. That's kind of a big deal for me since credits are the only way to unlock more stuff and the payoff for anything less than a successful Gold game feels like a pittance for the amount of time you put in and how much the packs cost.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

There is a reason why games and advertising state that the ESRB rating doesn't apply to online play. It's far easier to be hands off and tell the customer they've been warned than to proactively moderate online communication although some games have a built in system to report abuse after the fact.

Still while I don't play a lot of different online multiplayer FPS, all except Mass Effect have text chat and no active moderation. The only reason I can think why Mass Effect doesn't have it enabled is because :bioware:. Another possible reason is that text chat is rather useless on a console since not everyone has a keyboard for it and typing on a gamepad is slow and cumbersome in the middle of a match. Plus the developers probably thought that voice chat alone would be sufficient for communicating and text chat wasn't necessary without making any platform specific considerations. That mentality and thinking was probably carried over to the PC version and the developers have been stubbornly sticking to their guns this whole time. Again, :bioware:

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 24, 2015

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Started playing again and again with the obligatory gently caress Collectors in the rear end and should be deleted from the game. Wiped on Wave 7 doing Hack 4 on Giant and the last hack point had to be in that open area next to drop off point. And this was on Silver with me playing a kitted out Black Widow Salarian Infiltrator.

gently caress you EA. gently caress you Bioware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

El Mido posted:

That open hack is basically telling you to either break out the missiles or to take a few laps around the map to spread out the pain if your team is already dead.

Yeah, it didn't help that two of our squadmates went straight for the last hack and got brutally murdered. I tried to corral them to the opposite corner of the map but with less than a minute left I got impatient and left too early as there were still some straggling troopers near the point that took me out. 5 Medigels and 2 missiles later (all in that one wave) the clock ran out before I could get a second go around. Collectors are the worse when you can't focus on murdering every single one of them because they're all annoying and lethal.

• Locked thread