Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???
Shield recharge is pretty good but I prefer 4/6/6/6/4 because the extra damage on proxy mine is really useful for killing phantoms. I just use a ops survival for those situations where the shield recharge difference would actually matter.

edit: basically unknown mercs build but with damage instead of speed for rank6 of hunter

Fight Club Sandwich fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Aug 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

That DICK! posted:

It's pretty sad that the objective creativity is getting much much worse, since it didn't start out anywhere good.

SEPTEMBER 14TH

OPERATION: UHHHHHHHH

SQUAD OBJECTIVE: DO A THING

ALLIED OBJECTIVE: DO THINGS

Operation: Warchest

We need to divert funds to the crucible. 90% of credits earned towards the mission will be allocated to the crucible research project.

Squad objective: donate a million credits
Allied objective: donate 100 billion credits

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Operation: The Boardgame

Admiral Hackett has butterflies in his stomach. Remove the pieces and collect your fee, but don't touch the sides!

Squad goal: Spare a rib or two
Allied goal: I'm, the doctor for you

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

AngryBooch posted:

Piranha only 87% as good as it was before.

Fight Club Sandwich weeks ago posted:

Maybe a minor unnoticeable nerf like the first krysae nerf, but check out this :tinfoil: theory

1st DLC) Kishock is overpowered
2nd DLC) Krysae is overpowered, Kishock patched the same day
3rd DLC) Piranha is overpowered, Krysae nerfed the following week

The newest DLC weapons will always be OP so that players will buy packs to obtain them. I'd expect a piranha nerf around the time that the next DLC is released.

edit: should also be noted that the Falcon was nerfed right before the 1st DLC came out

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

SciFiDownBeat posted:

This guy has quite a few guides on ME3 Multiplayer classes, including the Drell Vanguard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFHyPAOamCA

FYI the game isn't hard enough to force you to use optimized setups but Stardusks' guides and builds aren't very good.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Dilb posted:

That said, it's definitely better to take the increased DR. The biggest advantage of the Justicar is that you can actually take a hit without collapsing, in sharp contrast to every other adept.

I disagree with this. Justicar has a massive health reserve already and one of the better dodges, she doesn't really need extra DR whereas the extra armor/barrier damage really does a number on reapers.

quote:

So that 100/s becomes 350/s against barriers (130/s becomes 260/s)

This kinda understates the damage difference. The 30% flat damage bonus in the DR upgrade only applies to base damage whereas the 75% boost to armor/barrier is a multiplier after all the other damage bonuses have been applied. In practice the difference will be amplified further since the DoTs stack.

MrDude posted:

Watching the FQE video, curiosity: Do we have confirmation/denial of the snippet at the end of the Mass Effect Wiki's page on Cryo Blast?

Maybe the author is trying to say something different, but cryo blast absolutely gives a damage to armor (the 25% debuff). It's possible it doesn't weaken armor further (though i'm pretty sure it does), but the 25% global bonus is more than enough to make it useful vs. armor by itself.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Dilb posted:

Actually that's not an issue. The rank 6 evolution is the only thing that adds to the base damage, so it really is 130 vs 175. Justicars don't get damage bonuses from passives, so the only way to amplify the difference is with consumables and gear, and gear is a pretty small bonus.

It's only the rank 5 power passive that doesn't work. The other passives work fine, so do gear and power amps, which all benefit from pierce's multiplier.

quote:

I think the DR is entirely worth it. Justicars only have 600 base shields, so they need a fair bit of help if they're going to take a Geth rocket on the chin without their barriers dropping. Stacking 30 DR from bubble, 40 from Reave, and staying in cover, my Justicar gets about 5700 effective barriers, and can absorb ravager shots, grenades, anything. Dropping 15 DR from Reave would reduce that to 3500.

I guess if you're going to go with a gimmicky defensive bubble camping build then yeah take Reave DR, but it's really a lot easier to just kill stuff fast with offensive reave and offensive bubble than it would be to try to grind it out with defensive reave and defensive bubble.

quote:

Since you also get a longer duration, you get a lot more damage per Reave against health, and the difference vs armour is smaller than you might think. Say the long-term DPS is (total damage)/(time per Reave). With increased damage and duration, I'm adding about 475/713/951 DPS vs health/armour/barriers. With increased damage vs armour and barriers, the damage is 317/832/1109.

With a rank 3 Power Amplifier those become 584/876/1168 vs 412/1081/1441.

Damage x duration = total reave damage doesn't actually reflect what happens in game. You'll never reave a target once until the duration runs out and only then reave something else, the extra duration is irrelevant since the DoTs stack. Only Reave's damage per second matters, which is a lot more for pierce than it is for the DR upgrade.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Dilb posted:

Justicar's don't get passive bonuses to power damage, they get bonuses to duration, and there are no power bonuses in Reave, or in Bubble. There's consumables, gear, rank 6 Fitness after a heavy melee kill, and a properly specced Demolisher's Pylon. I think everything else that increases damage acts as a separate multiplier.

Since Reave stacks, the total damage is relevant: you can stack more Reaves if you have a longer duration to work with. The single DPS would only matter if Reave didn't stack, or if reapplying Reave reset the duration for every Reave in the stack, neither of which are true. I did account for the slightly bigger benefit you get with Power Amps in those numbers, but it's a difference of a 30% increase vs a 23% increase.

It's hardly a gimmicky camping build to put down a bubble when you want to hang around some cover for a little while. In comparison, I've never found offensive bubbles to be that useful except when camping, because it's hard to consistently funnel enemies into the bubble and take advantage of that short period when they're inside.

At this point I'm sure I can't convince you, but for illustrative purposes the pierce damage bonus is pretty material if you gear up.

Rank 6 DR with defensive sphere:
100 base * (1 + .4 power amp + .15 biotic gear + .3 rank 6 upgrade) * 1.5 reave armor bonus * 3 stacks of reave * 10/8.5 defensive sphere = ~980/s

Rank 6 pierce with offensive sphere:
100 base * (1 + .55 equipment) * 1.5 reave armor bonus * 1.75 pierce upgrade * 3 stacks of reave * 10/7 offensive sphere = ~1743/s

Difference is amplified even more vs. barriers and more than that with other multipliers like supply pylon, annihilation field, proxy mines, etc. It's really easy to get reapers in the sphere since B&B come at you and ravagers are stationary, even easier if you're trying to hold an area (like plat farming on glacier for instance). yeah defensive sphere + DR reave will let you eat 5k damage but i only say that's gimmicky because you'll never actually need to take that much damage. Agree to disagree I guess

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

That DICK! posted:

Turian should at least get a weakass hop or something. They're not nearly as tough as Krogan or Batarian. I get that their race passives really promote staying behind cover, but gently caress that. Garrus eats missiles to the face all the time, man hates cover.

They should give turians AT LEAST the Vorcha duck and weave, and probably deserve the drell ninja flips if not better. According to the lore, turians are the most mobile race in the game by a pretty big margin.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Lagomorphic posted:

Spec arc grenades for shield damage and radius, spec homing for damage and armor damage. Take the damage over time option on both. go 4/4 or 5/3 in the passive and fitness. An arc grenade followed by a homing grenade will set of a tech burst for extra area damage. Run that combo on the toughest enemy in a group and finish the survivors with weapons. Take 2 guns since you don't care about weight. If you post your manifest I can give specific weapon recommendations.

Have you tried armor damage instead of shield damage? Arc grenades have an inherent shield multiplier so I usually suggest speccing for armor damage with the rank 6 upgrade. You only notice the extra shield damage vs. bosses (my playstyle doesn't use nades vs. bosses anyway) but armor damage helps vs. reaper spawns and pyros (and bosses).

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Blompkin posted:

I'm just not that impressed with warp. It's good for setting up/setting off team mate's biotic combos, but the 5th and 6th level just don't seem worth 11 character points to me. Or am I missing something?

This assertion is normally correct (except that you shouldnt take the first 4 levels of it, lagos right either max or zero). warp is pretty bad in the current metagame.

Warp - hits 1 target, requires a teammate to detonate, is dodged easily, is often negated by banshees/phantoms, and has a huge cooldown.

BUT:

me from previous thread posted:

Warp damage is buggy as hell and if you use incendiary ammo and high damage shotgun you can get a crazy multiplier on warp's DOT, so I could actually see using a damage -> damage -> pierce upgrade path on turian sentinel instead of one specced for half of a biotic explosion. I guess it would work on other warp classes but TS has the best synergy with heavy weapons.

watch the banshees barrier melt. according to damage formulas 1 warp + 4 claymore should be doing around 1k + 4*3.5k=15k damage but here 1 warp + 4 claymore is taking down a 27k health banshee.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Particle Rifle is p. much the same weapon as the typhoon, only way worse pre-rampup and slightly better post-ramp up. The trick is just keeping it in deathray mode, which the N7 soldier is really good at because of his capacity bonuses.

All the capacity upgrades on the N7 soldier + capacity gear + fire ammo make it a really good weapon, stronger than the other assault rifles on optimal class/consumable layouts IMO (excepting tech burst classes with disruptor falcon).

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Promotions events are so dumb.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Operation: Tesla

The starchild has discovered the crucible project and has attacked our scientists while allied forces are landing on earth. Defend yourselves and our technology at all cost.

Squad Objective: Clear any Non-Earth map vs. Reapers with a squad comprised of only engineers on any difficulty
Allied Objective: Register X number of kills with tech bursts

That took literally 15 seconds.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Wampus42 posted:

I think you meant to say Shuriken.

Operation: Ancient Chinese Secret

The irrusive man has turned his space racism into real racism, and is starting to round up Asians and place them in internment camps. Use your Asian karate to fight for glorious Nippon!

Squad goal: clear any map vs. Cerberus using an all Korean-team equipped with either the Shuriken or Katana
Allied goal: do the above by using tactics from Sun Tzu's The Art of War

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

That DICK! posted:

loving Operation: :420: Bogosity Right here.

Now I choose. Do I promote to get the weapon, or keep the 420 rank. A cool number like that isn't going to come along easy, and stoners will no longer rush to revive me when I'm down.

If I got an Eagle I think I'd just about quit.

Don't do it.

Eagle < anything
Crusader < BW/Saber
Valiant = Paladin
Hurricane < Piranha

420 >>> every other number

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

I don't believe in equipping 2 weapons.

The switching animation takes forever and the way the engine works it's better to superbuff a single gun with great equipment than it is to half-rear end equipment on two different guns and waste a mod slot on ULM.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Elotana posted:

Here's my stab at a weapon tier list (assuming V for ultra-rares and X for everything else)

Piranha
---
claymore
talon/paladin
hurricane
---

the rest vary on a class by class basis, I'd hesitate to do a complete weapons ranking. For example the GPR is pretty solid on a geth or a turian marksman, and the black widow is poo poo if you don't have the rank 6 sniper damage bonus. Similarly the falcon is great with ammo powers, but is not very effective without them.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Rick posted:

Do accuracy bonuses auto-correct your aim? For giggles I threw a scope on a widow and all of a sudden me, bad sniper that normally kills things with body shots, is hitting things in the head fairly regularly. Can I just take the headshot vi, hunter mode, scope and just close my eyes and kill things?

Consoles have aim "assist" for any zoomable weapons when you scope in, including ones with native scopes. I say assist sarcastically because it'll just as often re-align you to a swarmer as when you want to hit the marauder who's lighting you up. Last i checked it didn't actually put your reticle on a hitbox, just close to one, but it's been forever since I used snipers.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Elotana posted:

That wasn't a speed run, just a vanilla pub game with a goon and two randoms. Condolences on being bad at video games I guess I'll be over here outscoring GIs :smug:

I agree and my only critique of your video is that you spent a few seconds doing the objective when you should have bypassed the hack zone completely and went straight for the spawn. That mistake cost you 2000+ points easily.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Eckertmania posted:

Just getting lucky, really. It also helps that my roommate plays on my account, too, so the game is on for 8-10 hours a day.

Edit: As an aside, Because my roommate and I have spent so much time playing, we've kinda run out of character builds to play. Here is our manifest right here and if anyone wants to look through it and give us ideas, that would be awesome.

I don't have a bioware account so i can't see your manifest, but wacky experimental builds I would be trying if I still played this game (everyone ignore these if you're looking for real advice on building classes):

a) no AR human soldier - concussive shot spam with disruptor falcon
b) no charge novaguard - shockwave detonates multiple BX/tech bursts and so do your 2 novas that aren't on cooldown. requires reave or arc grenade teammates
c) no devastator mode n7 soldier - i'm hoping he's a lot more mobile without devastator
d) crappy class - max pull or max singularity with DOT upgrades + acolyte + fire ammo, can the acolyte make pull or singularity useful (and vice versa??)

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

I don't really like sniper rifles since the krysae and the rank 6 cloak bonus to snipers got nerfed and you should use a scoped paladin or saber or crusader (or even GPS) with this build

To answer your question though, this is what i used before the sniper damage nerf, and can still be solid if you have a bunch of sniper rails lying around.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

I intend on using an ops survival during extraction. Since it makes a sound effect, people will know SOMEONE used a consumable but won't quite be able to place who.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

If you connect with a heavy melee in a lot of places on Rio you'll disconnect everyone except you and the host.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Rick posted:

I'll let you know how it works if I ever unlock that character, but since they added gold equipment that's pretty much all I get now (and not the good stuff like grenade increases or whatever).

I can get through solo on bronze with consumables, and don't usually die in the main combat. It's the cash rounds that do me in pretty much. Actually really it's just the hacks. But I haven't managed to not get one yet in several hours of play today.

let me know when you're back on

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Psion posted:

Okay, good, you're the guy to talk to. I need about 11 minutes of super dramatic and yet cheesy as all poo poo music that won't get me flagged on Youtube for copyright for the worst video ever. I mean, I want it to be awful.

so, what should I do?

Chariots of fire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6GiDC2bx40

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Elotana posted:

Okay knock this creepy poo poo off before someone starts posting Quarian Butt GIFs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x80u55S9_9E

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Feonir posted:

Or you know, a lot. The general feeling I get from most multiplayer games in ME3 now is people are deathly afraid of consumables. But they do seem to trust in their Graal shotguns and Javeline sniper rifles. As an Asari adept. :suicide:

Stasis + graal is filthy, way better than power damage builds on AA or AV.

You could even grab the roulette upgrade and carry the jav if you want (though this can be frustrating)

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

^^^you could just hit the question mark under his avatar, duder

If you're open to criticism, in general I think you're pouring way too many points into skills. You should usually try to take racial passive to 5 (for power builds) or 6 (for weapon builds).

If you guys want I can post some of my min/max builds for the less customizable characters later.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

General build guidelines

Rank 5 racial passive: with few exceptions, always take power damage. The way the damage formulas work, extra headshot damage is almost never helpful (adds to the additive pool rather than the HS multiplier). the game already rewards you for headshots enough as it is.

Rank 6 racial passive: weapon weight is stupid and you shouldn't take it ever. don't use heavy rear end guns on caster classes or equip power efficiency mods if you must.

Very broadly, investing in passive trees is generally more effective than your tertiary skills, most of the best classes only have 1 active cooldown to manage.

Some sample builds as of the current balance patches:
Turian Soldier 6/0/6/6/6 I spec his marksmen for accuracy (talon or piranha) since N7 soldier is the superior bullethose. I only use proxy mine for swarmers and bosses, so i actually go with recharge there. I take marksmen headshots to avoid duration (8s is more than enough, any longer and you run the risk of having it on cooldown when you need it).

http://narida.pytalhost.com/me3/classes/#15PKAPR[0@0VAGDN0L0@0@0 Vorcha Soldier 6/6/0/6/6[/url] The reegar is powerful but it doesn't have a lot of ammo, which is why I prefer augmenting power damage over weapon damage. I almost never melee since reegar and flamer kill everything close range way faster than melee ever could.

N7 Soldier 6/0/6/6/6 you can go with accuracy at devastator 4 if you use a "real" gun, but the particle rifle is already perfectly accurate and the shield recharge helps you stand out in the open to keep your rifle supercharged. A supercharged particle rifle does 4x its "regular" damage and is IMO the best assault rifle in the game if you can keep it in deathray mode.

MQ Engineer 3/6/6/5/6 i only use scan to say "hey dudes, focus on those primes, i can kill literally everything else by myself" freeing up lots of points for shields and powerboosted grenades

hu inf 6/0/6/6/6 the weapon with the best synergy with cryo blast is the claymore, and since it already one shots everything i can afford to take duration for cloak

sal inf 6/5/6/6/3 with little argument, the best sniper in the game. female qi is also very good but edrain gives you more survivability and allows you to kill things more aggressively. proxy mine is also great for bosses and swarmers.

Shadow6/4/6/5/5 The rank 6 on sword mastery doesn't affect shadow strike damage. she kinda sucks against geth and reapers since electirc slash got nerfed.

male qi 4/4/6/6/6 the recharge on tac scan is stupid fast
a cycle of "cloak -> scan -> gun" will have a cooldown based on cloak (~3s). avoid this.
a cycle of "cloak -> manually de-cloak -> scan -> gun" will have a cooldown based on scan (~1s). the cloak bonus lasts for 2.5 seconds after breaking.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I loving love Area Scan and wouldn't play a Male Quarian without it.

Great for knowing what's around the corner, or for seeing where the loving Hunters are. Better for survivability than the equivalent points in Fitness, especially since everyone benefits.

Yeah my builds are more min/max for damage than for team contribution. Area scan is great and I love it when my teammates use it, but personally i never use it because in the time it takes me to scan something, i could have killed it with a tech burst + shot or two. Or I cast it on a pyro, which immediately dies, then i cast it on a rocket trooper which immediately dies, etc. when I could have killed the whole group faster myself with two tech bursts.

I need fitness for the times my teammates suck and make me disable by myself, and the survivabilty helps for long hacks and danger revives. If you want you can probably forego a power amp for a cyclonic and get area scan just for the times the painted target won't immediately die (bosses), but meh, I like power amps. Area scan is awesome for shadows or vanguards, but MQE doesn't often care about hunters or other surprise attacks because he has arc grenades.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Elotana posted:

Can't you just as easily say that you can use rail amps if you want weapon damage, though? Plus, the rank 6 damage bonus is 10%, which is equivalent to a level 1 rail amp, while the rank 6 weight bonus is usually 20 or 30%, equivalent to a level 2-3 efficiency mod.

my reasoning is that once you get a halfway decent manifest, your weapons are already pretty light. the cooldown difference between 200% and 160% is negligible whereas extra weapon damage is always helpful. Cooldown bonuses scale very poorly when stacked.

quote:

I don't usually take rank 6 passive at all unless I'm totally skipping a power, I'm just curious.

Yes in general take casters to racial 5 but weapon characters really benefit from the extra weapon damage, and a lot of the combat races have other awesome perks on that upgrade, too.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Paracelsus posted:

I laughed for about a minute straight on reading this.

What are people's thoughts on Rage evolutions now that it works? I'm tempted to stick with Health/Martial Artist/Health and use Melee consumables, because all that damage reduction is going to be insane and the Biotic Charge thing makes getting Rage trivial, reducing the need for the last melee evolution.

I haven't gotten a chance to play it yet but I intend to go melee/melee/melee because with charge/barrier/rage you're basically unkillable, at least until they rebalance him. the extra melee damage will help one-shot some of the shielded troopers.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Elotana posted:

Do you like data mining? Do you like Volus? Then have I got a screenshot for you!

Could be doctored, whatever. Bioware confirmed on the forums that there are 16 new characters that are going to be rolled out over time. Guess they're transitioning from massive DLC every few months to a more staggered release pattern designed to maintain community interest.

Does gibbed still post

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

I hope bioware drops any pretense of lore/canon and just goes with what would make a good video game: vorcha engineer with a white labcoat and glasses, krogan shaman with some kind of ceremonial feathered headdress, jetpack turian with :cool: shades...

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Just played a game with a missile glitcher. Apparently there's new mechanics and he ran out of missiles by wave 4 and was stuck with the striker and acolyte for 7 waves.

Yeah, I outscored a missile glitcher :smugdog:

edit: scratch that, the very next game i played i dropped into a wave 6 plat and the dude was missile glitching the whole time (364k). now i remember why i stopped playing this game.

Fight Club Sandwich fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Oct 7, 2012

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Does the Turian actually have a jetpack? How does the jetpack work?

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

My problem with editing the maps is that the changes are impossible to reverse. With the weekly balance things "ok maybe we shouldn't have nerfed the vindicator but we can make it usable again next week" but you can't really do that by blocking off rooms and removing ammo boxes.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

October 9th balance changes

quote:

New weapon mods available
- Assault Rifle Thermal Scope
- Assault Rifle High-Velocity Barrel
- Shotgun Omni-Blade
- Shotgun High-Velocity Barrel
- Sniper Rifle Thermal Scope
- Sniper Rifle High-Velocity Barrel
- Pistol Heavy Barrel

Singularity Power
- Duration of singularity decreased from 25 to 8 seconds (October 2 balance changes missed this)

Cryo Explosion Power Combo
- Like Biotic Explosion or Tech Burst combos, this combo can now occur without killing the target.
- Damage increased from [50-125] to [75-200]
- Impact radius decreased from [3-5] meters to [2-4] meters

Fire Explosion Power Combo
- Like Biotic Explosion or Tech Burst combos, this combo can now occur without killing the target.
- Impact radius decreased from [3-6] meters to [2-4] meters
- Damage decreased from [150-375] to [100-250]
- Damage-over-time damage decreased from [20-50] to [12.5-31.25]

Bug Fixes
- Fixed issue where you could get an unlimited number of the new character cards
- Fixed issue allowing players to see the unreleased Retaliation kits in the character selection screen

Someone who recently got promoted to the balance team has a hardon for FQE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Zoran posted:

The changes to Fire and Cryo Explosions are quite a development. I have a lot of testing to do now.

From a theorycrafting perspective, I think the biggest change here would be if Cluster Grenades detonate multiple fire explosions, because :stare: at the killing potential of Vorcha Sentinel if that's the csae.

• Locked thread