Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Has anyone here have the joy of working with board that used this crap?

Because holy poo poo CPCI sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Popete posted:

Last place I worked at developed COTS embedded form factor units that had these and other insane connectors and where often plugged into a backplane like that. It was hell trying to pull a board out and often you'd cut up your hands when it finally came out.

Also pray to God you don't bend or break a pin.

Why do you think I hate cPCI so much. VME was, ok, it was pins but it felt like they were durable. cPCI you could look at them funny and they'd bend.

Also, I'm pretty sure the one that drove you nuts was VPX, right?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Popete posted:

Had to remember which one VPX was and it made my hands hurt thinking about pulling those things off their backplanes. Either your backplane had the 2 side posts to help guide the board into place without breaking the "fins" in which case the board was a bitch to pull back out, or you didn't have the side posts and the board was easy to pull out but you ran the risk of it bending and breaking pin fins or seating it at a bad angle.

Yup, VPX was great because holy hell was it rugged unlike the other major types, but a pain in the rear end because of it. I remember having to wiggle it out.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

sliderule posted:

I administer a Motorola telecom switch that uses CPCI. Goddamnit those boards can be sharp.

At least the switch has guide rails. When you don't have them, you're more than likely to bend pins, which is :rip: and how.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bumping this to say I'm in an intro to microcontrollers class. A class that I should be able to test out of if I could but I can't. And we're using Freescale chips.

:suicide:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Yes, code warrior. Jokes on them, I edit in vim and only compile in that.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

It's free to use, but it doesn't change that it's poo poo.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Blotto Skorzany posted:

CodeWarrior from 10.x on is just a rebranded Eclipse now.

From poo poo to even worse poo poo.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Popete posted:

If you dump on Atmel I take that as a personal attack. Fight me.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:psyduck:

I hope whoever failed to check that in QA got sacked.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, on the Dragon 12 Lights, there's a keypad on them. Cool. They're tied to GPIO Port A.

Port A doesn't have hardware interrupts on it.

:wtc:

Oh, and to make things better, one of the ports that DOES support interrupts... is tied to dip switches.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I've always said to be an embedded developer you need to be a masochist.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Inspired by this thread, for my final project in my micro class, I named the team I'm on "Team 640k".

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mr. Powers posted:

Woah. 640k is NOT a power of two. What were you thinking?!?!?

I'm thinking it's enough memory for this project.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

One part "no archives for you", one part amusement:

The ATmega328 has four different form factors. The amusing thing is the SPDIP can be bought individually direct from Microchip, but if you want another form factor you have to buy in multiples of at least 250.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I can't wait to get this I2C library done. It is a royal pain my my rear end (I'm writing it from scratch because A. so I can demonstrate it to prospective employers, and B. I'm a giant masochist).

e: at least I have an LCD screen to assist me in debugging. It's made my life so much easier.

iospace fucked around with this message at 06:20 on May 14, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The problem is this magnetometer (it's a compass project) is being set to continuous conversion mode annnnnnnnnd it doesn't want to keep on spitting out data for whatever reason.

E: single byte read and write work, so I have that going for me.

iospace fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 14, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

It's a slave device only. There's a second sensor (accelerometer) on it, but that has its own I2C address. My issue is it's continuously reading it but the data isn't changing.

The sensor, for what it's worth: https://www.adafruit.com/product/1120 (I bought this a while ago and only now am finishing this up).

iospace fucked around with this message at 01:03 on May 15, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I got it working! :peanut:

Mostly because A. I realized the entirety of the data had to be read, and B. the coordinates are X Z Y, not X Y Z. Now to get it working with a multi-read, not single byte reads.

iospace fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 15, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

How much of a bitch is SPI?

Asking for a friend.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Alright.

I seem to be hanging up on the multi-read when I sent the first ACK to the slave for the first data byte, but it never sends it back it seems so TWINT never goes high or something. If I don't check TWINT I get an error so.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

csammis posted:

I was all set to call BS on this but sure enough that’s what the datasheet says :psyduck:

I know! I'm all "Wait, what the gently caress? Who thought THIS was a good idea?"

The interesting thing, though this may be EMF from my computer so who knows, is my dad's iPhone was reading 186 when I was getting 180. Forgot to check North.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I knew that magnetic north is not true north, which is why when I removed it from my desk and took it into the kitchen, it was a bit more accurate I felt. Either way, the basic functionality is there, now it's time to get it really working!

(the feeling I got when I saw the numbers update constantly reminded me why I do this poo poo)

e: dicking around with it in class, holy hell there has to be some really crazy magnetic fields because it was going nuts.

iospace fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 15, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ok this is weird. Apparently something went haywire because now when I point it north it still says west. The exact degree readings are coming still but what the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mr. Powers posted:

What accuracy are you shooting for? Intracardinal is not too bad to obtain with good repeatability. Low double digits starts to need some compensation algorithms. Single digits will require active hard iron/soft iron compensations. Under 1 degree requires advanced degrees in math and algorithms.

E: ^^^^ things that aren't magnets can gently caress up the readings. Cell phones are veritable fountains of magnetic interference. A bolt in your desk under laminate can cause issues like this. It doesn't take much.

I'm not talking a few degrees off here. I'm talking when I point it north it still says west, even if I turn it eastwards first.

• Locked thread