Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Go get yourself a $30 PicKit 3 and MPLAB. My preference is for the original MPLAB, rather than MPLAB X, but they're both kinda buggy pieces of poo poo. That's pretty much par for the course.

PICs will take you the full gamut from "pretty easy" to "industry standard" solution.

There will almost definitely points right at the beginning where you'll feel overwhelmed, but just take a break when that happens and come back to it. Or ask here. I like answering easy questions because then I'm like 90% sure I have the right answer and won't look dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I wouldn't start with an FPGA. They're very specific to certain applications, and a very large paradigm shift from standard programming.

In general, I'd stick to PIC/AVR/Launchpad, the first two are pretty well-established leaders, and TI is catching up. I've never used a demo board outside of school, so I can't recommend one, though.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Yeah, that was me.

Sorry, I should explain. All of the toolchains right now are pretty buggy. I've used Freescale/PIC/AVR microcontrollers pretty extensively, and while they all of their problems, PIC is the one I've found best in terms of usability, features, and ubiquity.

I really do think getting a PicKit3 is your best option, and not worrying too much about dev boards. They're fine for school when you're forced to sit down and make that LED flash, but if you actually want to build something, a standalone microcontroller with an internal oscillator is just as good.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
A lot of that is probably greybeards working in the same company for 30 years.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

TwystNeko posted:

I am noticing that I'm having to declare a whole lot more variables in the global scope. Is that something I should worry about? Or just roll with it?

Pretty common and fine in microcontrollers. Not so cool in desktop programming.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
In school I wrote an in-chip debugging routine that used a MAX232 to talk to a computer.

It was kinda ridiculous

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Both versions of MPLAB are huge turds.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
You don't need to be searching for Raspberry Pi specific boards. Anything designed for hobbiests (mostly Arduino stuff) will work pretty well with I2C libraries using the GPIO.

Something like:
http://www.adafruit.com/products/1083

http://www.adafruit.com/products/935

That's with like two minutes of searching, I'm sure you can find combination boards (for waaay cheaper than that gertboard) from your preferred suppliers.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
That was demystifying and good. I liked that writeup.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Sir_Substance posted:

I know this thing is not quite up your guys alleys, but it's in the same vein. I thought I might post here before spawning a whole thread for it.

I want to do horrid and inappropriate things to flash drive microcontrollers.

Basically, I want to see if I can rewrite the firmware to turn them into little embedded computers that I can talk to via serial.

The initial idea was spawned by this blog post:

http://www.bunniestudios.com/blog/?p=3554

But I'd like to try flash drives rather then SD cards, mostly because that's what I have lying around. However, I'm not adverse to investing in a stack of cheap SD cards if that's easier. Basically the question is, how do I get access to and/or deliver the firmware to the device? Where's my starting point?

This is a great project and somewhat up my alley and not nearly as doom and gloom as that other dude said.

Provided you use SD cards instead of flash drives, however. SD cards are purely driven by SPI, which makes them trivial to communicate with using an Arduino or PIC. I've never looked into the internal structure of flash drives, but the USB addition makes them way less accessible.

Look on Alibaba or Aliexpress and see if you can get a handful of 2gb microSD cards for cheap. If you get stuck on any part of this, I'd totally be interested in a thread about it, I might have some ideas on how to proceed.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Otto Skorzeny posted:

This isn't quite true - the SD spec defines the (slow as balls) SPI interface to an SD card as well as the much faster parallel SD interface.

I wrote an SPI interface using PIC about fourish years ago, at that time (as far as I could figure), the only way to get the parallel spec was to pay licensing fees.

Regardless, the SPI commands that Bunnie's talking about is straightforward, as I said.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Sir_Substance posted:

Ok, so for context here, I'm a total software guy. I've played with an arduino once, and that's about it.

So here's the next question. SD cards are going to be better to work with because they don't have an extra system between you and their microcontrollers, sounds good. Does accessing the card via a normal USB card reader wipe out that benefit? Will I need a special device to interrogate the card?

edit: while we are here, I was having interesting thoughts about using them as hardware encryption keys by generating entropy based on the layout of their bad sectors. Viable?

Yes, a reader will wipe out the advantage. You need something that reads and writes directly to the pins in binary. An arduino or maybe a bus pirate would be easier for a software guy

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Yup, that would work. Just don't use the SD card libraries at all. Or maybe use them but hack them to send the altered commands that you want to send. If you could find the same brand of card from the link above, it would make your life easier, but if not you might be able to brute-force it.

ante fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Feb 5, 2014

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Cool, keep us updated.

I wish I still had my code for my final year PIC project that included an SD card for extra space. It was pretty clever (read: hackish and loving stupid)

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Tiger.Bomb posted:

The first ten levels are _very_ basic. You're pretty much always doing some kind of overflow. Figuring out what you need to overflow it with is the trick.

Thanks for ruining the sense of accomplishment I got from doing the first eight levels :smith:

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
You could start with the codebase of some existing SD card library.

edit:
Looking over my old notes now, this was the most useful thing ever for me in 2010ish before reliable SPI SD card libraries were a thing.

http://www.esawdust.com/blog/serial/files/SPI_SD_MMC_ATMega128_AVR.html

ante fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Feb 20, 2014

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
The slow speed is just because some cards may lose data if they're run faster. You're not transferring large amounts of data so who cares, really.

Timing doesn't really matter, if your device has an SPI peripheral, it should pretty much handle that automatically. Give it a byte and it'll clock 8 times at your chosen speed. I hope you're not bitbanging SPI in software, that's a pretty unneeded extra step in complexity.

The slave/chip select (CS/SS) pins are inactive(high) when you're not sending data, so there's no special idle timing or anything.

From the PM where I sent you some of my relevant code:

quote:

I notice that you're sending a CMD0 restart before you perform the 74 cycle clock speed loop. I haven't seen that in any of the standards I've read, they've all said DI and CS to high, cycles, CS to low and then send CMD0.

You've also got a trailing CMD0 after the clock cycle, is there something special about the first CMD0?

Again, it's been a bunch of years since I touched this stuff so I'm not a 100% reliable source, but I think I was reprogramming my PIC a whole punch with power on, so I generally pumped a bunch of extra RESET(CMD0) commands. I think either I wanted to be absolutely sure, or my card was out of spec, or it only worked properly when I did that or something, but there's no downsides to a bunch of extra resets right at the beginning.

The great part of a step-by-step procedure with feedback from the card is that as soon as you get started, you know at exactly what step it's failing at.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
The CRC is done for the first few commands until the card successfully gets dropped into SPI mode. After that, the checksum is still a thing, it's just ignored completely by the card. Conveniently, though, those first commands are always the same, so the CRC can be hardcoded.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
No, not checking the CRC in SPI mode is part of the spec, as far as I remember.

Keep in mind SPI mode isn't actually supposed to be used in any professional capacity.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Are you going to release code?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I'd look into FPGAs. They're good at exactly what you need, i.e. taking data into, performing a set series of operations, and dumping it out very fast.

VHDL, the language you'd likely be using is a fully parallel language, which will be a huge paradigm change for you. But it's kinda fun.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Crossposting from electronics thread because I just realised this is even more relevant here

ante posted:

HEY GUYS!
Element14 just emailed me saying that they like my blog and if I give them a shoutout, they'll send me $75 worth of swag. What should I get?
I'm thinking an FPGA, but I don't know what $75 will get me.

I have no intention of telling them that they're the only hits I've had on my blog all week (it is mostly for documenting my own personal projects and I haven't really advertised it other than for potential employers).

Also I've been unemployed for too long. Somebody in Vancouver hire me please.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I'm sure TI has volumes of app notes about it for their Launchpad, it's kinda their thing. Come to think of it, you'll probably find some good ones from Microchip or Atmel, too. Like this: http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=1824&appnote=en556618

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Big drill bits can definitely fit kibbles in the flutes.

e: that is a very fun sentence

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
The 28byj-48 is dirt cheap and internally geared down to 64 steps per revolution I think. e: 64*8 = 512 steps

On Aliexpress there are also a lot of micro-stepper motors designed for the internals of lenses. That seems pretty likely, too.

ante fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Aug 10, 2014

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Controls group for cyclotrons.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

poeticoddity posted:

That bidirectional buffer looks fantastic and the price isn't nearly as bad as I'd thought. I may be building equipment this spring semester with LEDs that are over a $100 a piece, so dropping <$4 on a buffer that lets me move something across the room is of no problem.
Currently, as terrible as this probably is, when I've needed to send signals out on modular equipment, I've used USB cables or ethernet cables (almost entirely because they're easy to source if someone runs one over with an office chair or if one gets bent and breaks), but if you have any better suggestions for something that's not terribly expensive or hard to source, I'm interested.

I've seen people with spaghetti wire going everywhere on their projects, and I always always suggest ethernet.

It's ubiquitous, cheap, easy to terminate, the connectors lock into the sockets, and if you need to send fast signals long distance, that is literally what cat 6 is designed to do.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Hey, so give me two good reasons to use anything other than internal oscillators.

I would assume better stability / accuracy, but other than that... ?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

bobua posted:

I was wondering if that was a huge undertaking.

Yeah

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
The VHDL thread is dead, I guess, so this is the next best thing.

I have an Altium license through work. Would it be worthwhile to try FPGA development using that instead of ISE?

Xilinx's tools are stupidly clunky and aren't really well integrated, so it would be nice if Altium sidestepped all those issues.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Ponderous Saxon posted:

What kind of integration are you after?

If you haven't already, it might be worthwhile checking out Vivado - they're still randomly breaking things between releases, but it's faster and the workflow much saner. If you don't like the IDE you avoid it entirely by using tcl scripting.

taqueso posted:

I played around with it (a couple years ago) and it seemed to work well, if in a bit of a complicated way. I went back to the comfortable vendor toolchain for expediency and never bothered to try again. I think Altium can do what you want (sidestepping xilinx's toolchain) and you will be writing mostly the same HDL so you can bail pretty easily if it doesn't work out. I didn't care for the visual plug-together stuff, but that might have improved.

Honestly, I've been working on something stupidly complicated off and on for the past year, so I'm not even past the design/simulation stage.

I'll eventually be putting it on some higher end Spartan 6s, and my impression is that Vivado is the latest and greatest, but drops all support for non-enterprise chips like Spartans? I dunno, marketing doublespeak seems really prevalent in the FPGA world, so I had a hard time understanding exactly what the deal is.

Never thought of downloading Vivado just to use the tools and then back to ISE for layout and programming, but I guess it could be worth a shot.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Crankit posted:

What's the difference between a FPGA and a CPLD?
If you're considering that you might want one of those for a project, how do you know how many logic elements or w/e you need?

FPGA stuff has always seemed like voodoo to me, is there a thing that breaks it all down.

To answer your second question, you write out your VHDL/Verilog in a vendor toolchain, and it will synthesize the design and spit out a number of logic gates / whatever metric that particular vendor uses. The languages are mostly device-agnostic, so it's easy enough to shop around if you're unsure which to go with.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Read out the clock value every loop, and if you read HIGH, wait until the loop that reads time + 20ms, and if you read LOW, bam, debounced button read.

You don't need a blocking wait() or anything, just set a flag to come back to it later.

Also fyi, a good rule of thumb is typical decent buttons need ~20ms of debounce time, 100ms for really sloppy presses.

edit: actually read the code and tailored advice

edit2: If you're new to embedded development, read up on state machines, this would be a good application for one

ante fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Sep 8, 2015

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
There's a Verilog thread that is very dead.

Yeah, FPGA toolchains suck. Like, a lot.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
People have done exactly that with some of Lattice's stuff. I haven't checked it out because who the hell uses Lattice FPGAs,

FPGAs have also only really been accessible for non-professionals for 3 or 4 years, too, so I'm sure some cool stuff will happen over the next 5 years in the open source community.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
The tools have gotten miles better in the last couple years. They're actually pretty good now.

Debugging still sucks, unless you have a $150 ICD

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Mr. Powers posted:

I haven't used MPLAB X, though.

Do iiiiiit.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Why don't you make the ESP8266 write to a database hosted somewhere else?

https://influxdata.com/blog/how-to-send-sensor-data-to-influxdb-from-an-arduino-uno/

The ESP8266 is pushing, not the other way around.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Hacking the XBox is actually a surprisingly good reference, and still relevant, and free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Raspberry Pi is really the only option there. It's not even close to the best hardware or anything, but the huge amount of community support is the best for Getting Stuff Done without dicking around too much

• Locked thread