Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PooBoots
Feb 27, 2007

Oh my god. Now, I *could* be saying that about that hideous panelling, but I'm actually thrilled that you have all the original woodwork! In Canada, some of the older homes look like they have nice woodwork, but when you get the paint off, you find that it was just 2nd grade pine with an interesting woodgrain finish. Kudos to the people who made it look so realistic, but I wish it was the real thing, you know?

Our house was built in 1918, had one family living in it until we bought it in 2001. It doesn't have panelling but it was entirely papered in old-lady wallpaper. I have one more room to do downstairs then that's half the house unpapered.

A note about stripping paint off the woodwork with a heat gun: You *have* tested the paint to make sure it isn't lead-based, right? Otherwise you're going to be breathing lead vapours. As a rule, all paint that could have been applied before 1970 (I think) should be considered lead-based.

That wiring picture is hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PooBoots
Feb 27, 2007

HollisBrown posted:

You learned a very important lesson of rehabbing homes, there is never, ever anything good hidden by drop ceilings.

Not necessarily! My in-laws redid an old house, pulled down the drop ceiling in the dining room and found an original pressed-tin ceiling! Cleaned and painted, it's very nice.

Rodnik posted:

Heavy ventilation in the way of fans and open windows as well as a lead and asbestos rated respirator is the way to go there.

Yep. If it's got to be done, it's got to be done. Protection is everything.

Lead, asbestos, crappy wiring - old homes are death traps. :D

• Locked thread