Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

Rodnik posted:

Very close. If you go on Awful year book you could easily find out so I don't mind saying. We are In Duluth Minnesota on the very nose of Lake Superior. This city at one point had the highest number of millionaires per Capita than anywhere in the world (this during a time when being a Millionaire was even more unthinkable for most of us than it is today. The craftsmen that were attracted by the building boom of the early 1900s were the best in the world, and you can really see it in some of the old homes that haven't been bastardized with vinyl siding and whatever other modern innovations people have tacked on to older homes.

You can buy what would be considered mansions on the coast for 100,000 dollars here. Not joking really. We were going to buy an old victorian fraternity mansion for 75k, four stories, huge fireplaces, a really crazy place, but decided it was just too much work.

This house was originally built by a well to do Swedish merchant family. They moved back to Sweden right after it was built. Original cost? 6,500 dollars. If you go by inflation, Thats about how much we paid for it in today's money. Duluth's population is about exactly the same as it was in 1906 so I suppose in a roundabout way it makes sense.

Wow, that almost makes me wanna cry. I paid almost 4 times that for a house that's probably a quarter in size (so I got, what, 1/16th house for my money?) that was built in 1925 but doesn't have any of the amazing architectural details y'all's does. Location, location, location. But I'll be interested in seeing y'all's improvements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread