Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Seeing all the ideas and what some of the hacks add to the game without making it overcOmplicated is turning this into my go to system over FATE :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Honestly, Fate is still my go-to system for things I'd have to design or tweak myself, but AW is starting to become the go-to for stuff that's already built.

(Whatever happened to the Fate thread, anyway?)

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
Does 3:16 with modified ApocWorld mechanics sound like a good idea to you guys?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

THE REVENANT v0.4

Apocalypse World is a dangerous place; we all know that. Violence is a way of life. Towns get attacked by gangs, warlords make examples, people take payment out of your hide and the hides of your loved ones. Monsters walk the ravaged earth, leaving a trail of bodies in their wake.

You were supposed to be one of those bodies.

Maybe you weren't home when the attack happened. Maybe you weren't as dead as they thought. Maybe they just didn't give a poo poo about you and left you there standing in the ruins of your life.

It doesn't matter anymore. Your old life was burned to the ground, the ashes scattered to the wind.

Only one thing matters now. Revenge. You're going to find the fucker responsible, and you're gonna put him down once and for all.

There is no one more dangerous than someone with nothing left to lose.

LOOK
Man, woman, ambiguous
Tattered wear, bloody wear, symbolic wear
Dead eyes, rage-filled eyes, tired eyes, focused eyes
Slim body, ravaged body, muscular body

STATS (very much not done)
Choose one set:
• Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot-1 Sharp+1 Weird=0
• Cool-1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-1
• Cool+2 Hard+2 Hot=0 Sharp-1 Weird=0
• Cool-1 Hard+2 Hot-1 Sharp+2 Weird+1

THE FUCKER
When you create your character, determine what terrible thing (The Incident) you survived and how you survived it. Did they raze your town and leave you for dead? Did their goons ride in, destroy and/or violate your family and leave everything in flames? Did they kill a loved one while you were away and now you're back?

The MC will then create a special Front for the guy responsible, hereafter known as "The Fucker". This Front is just like a normal Front, but with two exceptions.
1) The Fucker will have a few Lieutenants. There are guys who enforce the Target's agendas and do some of his dirty work. They'll all be tricky to get to, and probably have a gang or something you'll have to kill your way through. Lieutenants might be small Fronts on their own, too, but generally they'll be the threats of the Front. They also don't need to be actual threats; the guy who runs The Fucker's drug production facility is a lieutenant, and the cowardly guy who's the main pusher is also a lieutenant even though he doesn't even know which end of the gun he's supposed to hold.
2) The Fucker doesn't have a countdown clock. Instead, he has a Lead on you. Lead starts at 6. Every time you defeat a Lieutenant or learn an important bit of information about The Fucker, you reduce the Lead by one. When you confront The Fucker (violently or not), you take -Lead ongoing until one of you is defeated or withdraws from the scene in some fashion. If the Lead ever reaches 10, then he's gotten away from you; you now take -1 ongoing to all rolls, lose access to all Revenant moves, and must immediately pick a new playbook.

Ultimately, when you kill or otherwise defeat the Fucker and have enough time to contemplate your victory, you immediately gain one advance that must be spent on taking one of either the change your character to a new type or [/b]retire your character (to safety)[/b] advances. If you change to a new type, you don't use the normal rules for this. Instead, the following happens:
• reduce Lead to 0 (or reduce it by a small amount? "leftover" Lead?)
• you lose access to one step closer and best served cold, but gain the following two moves instead, which carry over to your new playbook
The Legend: When you manipulate or go aggro on someone and tell them who you are (and who you took out), take +1 to the roll.
Cleaning up: Take +1 ongoing while fighting the leftover forces of The Fucker.

GEAR
You get:
• a memento of your old life
• a clue to the identity of The Fucker; part of his outfit, a blurry memory, whatever.
• 1 businesslike weapon
• fashion suitable to your look (you pick)
• oddments worth 1-barter.

Businesslike weapons (choose 1):
• sawed-off (3-harm close reload messy)
• 9mm (2-harm close loud)
• big knife (2-harm hand)
• katana (3-harm)

MOVES
You start with this one:
One step closer: When you confront The Fucker or his forces in some fashion (violent or not) and you get away alive, mark experience.

Pick 2 more:
This is between you and me: When you confront The Fucker or one of his lieutenants, roll +Hard. On a 10+ pick two, 7-9 pick one.
• You take +1 ongoing until they're defeated or run away.
• Nobody else will interfere on either side.
• They give away an important clue about The Fucker.
• You do 1-harm more damage against your opponent's gang or assorted forces.

I need your help: When you manipulate someone, roll +Hard instead of +Hot.

Best Served Cold: You can treat a roll you just made as a 12+, but you add one to the Lead.

Eyes on the Prize: When you arrive at a settlement you haven't been to in a while (or have never been to before) and ask around for leads to The Fucker, roll +Sharp. On a 10+, you get some info about The Fucker or one of his Lieutenants. On a 7-9, you get the info but word gets back to The Fucker or the local Lieutenant. On a miss, you get zilch and The Fucker's forces come looking for you. If you get info, take +1 forward when acting on it.

No One Else!: When acting under fire due to the Fucker or his Lieutenants, or Helping Out someone currently being harmed by them, roll +Hard instead of +Cool. If you let The Fucker or the Lieutenant get away, increase Lead by 1 but both you and the person you're helping get +1Hx with each other.

SPECIAL
Not sure yet.

HX

On your turn, choose 1, 2, or all 3
• One of them found you (or what was left of you) after The Fucker's attack. Tell that player Hx+2.
• You think one of them might be working for The Fucker. Tell that player Hx-1.
• One of them helped you track down a lead to The Fucker. Tell that player Hx+1.

Tell everyone else Hx+1. What happened to you isn't exactly a secret, and everyone knows you're out for revenge.

On the others' turns, whatever number they tell you, give it -1 write it next to your character's name. You have a little trouble getting close to people ever since The Fucker ruined your life.

ADVANCES
• get +1hard (max hard+3)
• get +1hard (max weird+2)
• get +1cool (max cool+2)
• get +1sharp (max sharp+2)
• get +1weird (max weird+2)
• get another Revenant move
• get another Revenant move
• get a move from another playbook
• get a move from another playbook
• decrease the Lead by 1
-----------------------
• get +1 to any stat (max stat+3)
• retire your character (to safety)
• create a second character to play
• change your character to a new type
• choose 3 basic moves and advance them.
• advance the other 4 basic moves.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 27, 2012

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

InfiniteJesters posted:

As a game, I think 3:16 does what it sets out to do, and that's not exactly the same thing that AW sets out to do, but there is some overlap, so it could be a fun setting. What determines success in cases like that is how excited you think the players (incl. you) would be, how inspired you get by it.

I'd be really interested in Peripheral Move adaptations of the 3:16 flashback actions.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I think Apocalypse World would be a great system to play a team of Neil Patrick Harris as compared to 3:16's great emulation of Casper Van Dien play. You're not grunts, although you may have a team of them at your command.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

tremulus has already hit goal. :allears:

First stretch goal looks like it's going to be extra playbooks.

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009

InfiniteJesters posted:

3:16 setting using AW-style mechanics, or 3:16 crunch with AW-style mechanics added on? If its the latter, that just seems unnecessary to me. 3:16's built for a specific concept and adding moves or playbooks would just clog it up.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I have a question about using the Apocalypse World ruleset: there are now several games based on the AW rules but I haven't seen anything about how they licensed it - is AW Creative Commons licensed or OGL licensed or what?

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

ThreeStep posted:

3:16 setting using AW-style mechanics, or 3:16 crunch with AW-style mechanics added on? If its the latter, that just seems unnecessary to me. 3:16's built for a specific concept and adding moves or playbooks would just clog it up.

Oh, okay.

The reason I proposed the idea was because A) someone in #badwrongfun had told me 3:16 had some wonky mechanics, and B) the abstracted weapon ranges in Apocalypse World seem pretty similar to those in 3:16.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

InfiniteJesters posted:

Oh, okay.

The reason I proposed the idea was because A) someone in #badwrongfun had told me 3:16 had some wonky mechanics, and B) the abstracted weapon ranges in Apocalypse World seem pretty similar to those in 3:16.

I'd like to hear what they thought was wonky about the mechanics. I've ran a couple of 3:16 games and pretty much introduced players that had never touched an RPG into each successive game without a hitch. So it's not a complex game, nor is it something that really fits into the concept of what AW does.

The whole 'release a new game every week!' schedule for these *World based games seems strange to me. Is it because it's the hot new thing? And yeah, I know the system works amazing and is good.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Tasoth posted:

I'd like to hear what they thought was wonky about the mechanics. I've ran a couple of 3:16 games and pretty much introduced players that had never touched an RPG into each successive game without a hitch. So it's not a complex game, nor is it something that really fits into the concept of what AW does.

Well, this guy's complaint was...Something about grenades and teamfragging? Either I'm forgetting his entire schpiel or else he wanted a game where rampant half-unintentional teamkilling isn't all but inevitable with the mechanics. :v:

I think he said something like it worked better in theory than it did in practice. I'll have to find and ask him because 3:16 is mechanically pretty simple and thus by nature hard to screw up.

quote:

The whole 'release a new game every week!' schedule for these *World based games seems strange to me. Is it because it's the hot new thing? And yeah, I know the system works amazing and is good.

It's also pretty easily modifiable, which means anyone with some spare time, the means to write PDFs, and a brain can try their own hand at it.

InfiniteJesters fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 27, 2012

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Grenades can wipe out a team member but the idea is you never ever use grenades unless poo poo would wipe out part of the team anyway. They are a very last resort weapon.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

InfiniteJesters posted:

Well, this guy's complaint was...Something about grenades and teamfragging? Either I'm forgetting his entire schpiel or else he wanted a game where rampant half-unintentional teamkilling isn't all but inevitable with the mechanics. :black101:

Wait, what? The Grenades or 'OH poo poo, WE'RE ALL GUNNA BOOM!' where his hanging point? Not the fact that you could run 3:16 as a bunch of misfits murdering your way through innocent aliens? Jeeeez.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
Like I said, I may be misremembering what he said, so I'm going to guess he had a session go insanely unentertainingly wrong or...Something. I dunno! \/:v:\/

Mr. Maltose posted:

Grenades can wipe out a team member but the idea is you never ever use grenades unless poo poo would wipe out part of the team anyway. They are a very last resort weapon.

Oh. Huh, I'm gonna guess he was trying to use them as an offensive weapon like you'd use in real life to clear out a bunch of bogies through a window or something.

taladel
Jun 3, 2011

Fezzin' the days away...

Evil Mastermind posted:

tremulus has already hit goal. :allears:

First stretch goal looks like it's going to be extra playbooks.

It has gotten my thirty bux.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Tasoth posted:

The * World games got a whole bunch of attention lately because of Dungeon World. Her have been AW hacks for some time, but DW opened the floodgates. I'll admit that "relationship-driven story game set after an apocalypse" didn't grab me and I expect other people felt the same way. Then DW came out with a more mainstream theme (compare Gamma World's popularity to D&D) and it got real hot real fast. Remember when everyone was hacking FATE ? Same thing. The beauty part is, FATE and AW don't overlap too much in what they're good at, so when things calm down we'll have tons of good hacks for both.

Speaking of Gamma World and AW, people are over thinking the conversion. You play AW straight, but everyone rolls random mutations, make up appropriate Moves to taste. Simple.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Tasoth posted:

It's really not a "release every week", it just seems like it now because you're aware of it. AW has actually been out for over a year, and there's only 4 published AW-based games: Dungeon World, Monsterhearts, Monster of the Week, and tremulus (when the KS ends).

clockworkjoe posted:

I have a question about using the Apocalypse World ruleset: there are now several games based on the AW rules but I haven't seen anything about how they licensed it - is AW Creative Commons licensed or OGL licensed or what?
I'm not 100% sure, but I think the licensing is basically "ask Vince".

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

To do it, do it.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's really not a "release every week", it just seems like it now because you're aware of it. AW has actually been out for over a year, and there's only 4 published AW-based games: Dungeon World, Monsterhearts, Monster of the Week, and tremulus (when the KS ends).

What he said, plus the fact it is really drat simple and hackable means there seems like more stuff than there is. I for example, just now learned about Monster of the Week.

A-World is pretty indie hot (or else there wouldn't be so many hacks making hacks), but unless Greg Stolze is involved, Goons (and most RPG folks in general) really only care about elfgames. And D-World just came out, had buzz behind it, and has a (is based off of?) a very popular A-World hack. Monsterhearts and MotW (and tremulus) were/are just sorta there.

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009

InfiniteJesters posted:

Oh, okay.

Oh yeah, you could probably grab the tags and gear rules from AW and add them to 3:16 with minimal fuss. But beyond that you'd be messing with 3:16's very specific setup. It is pretty simple and I guess that could leave room for wonkyness.

I'm no mechanics expert though, just going by what I like.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Dammit, I was working on a horror AW game.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

The market has validated your effort! Now just try to be the Antz to their Bug's Life.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Doc Hawkins posted:

The market has validated your effort! Now just try to be the Antz to their Bug's Life.

I'll just wait for the next Vincent Baker game that breaks my brain.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

ravenkult posted:

Don't give up! There's no telling if you will make the something similar. Go for broke and post it up somewhere for others to enjoy.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

ravenkult posted:

Not everyone has a cthulhu-boner, so if you could make something for the rest of us that would be pretty cool.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
Allen Poe or J-horror TTRPG would be most excellent.

EDIT: On that note, Corpse Party would make a terrific investigative game.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Maybe I should finish the thing then. It's basically B.P.R.D: The RPG, but everyone is possessed by a demon.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

ravenkult posted:

Maybe I should finish the thing then. It's basically B.P.R.D: The RPG, but everyone is possessed by a demon.

Wait what.

STOP TYPING HERE AND HASTEN TO RELEASE THIS GLORIOUS THING UNTO THE WORLD.

GO GO GO!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

ravenkult posted:

Holy poo poo make this right now and give it to us. We wants it.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
Now it's just a matter of time until Darkness World.

You know, with the long-awaited playbooks The Kindred, The Forsaken, The Awakened, The Lost, The Created, and The Sin-Eater.

(though I guess this is Monsterhearts' thing? Only with more teenagers and less Humanity tracks?)

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

Listening to the podcast with the creator of tremulus, it seems he has the right idea combining the 3 games mentioned.

Apocalypse World used because it's awesome. He was especially fond of Fronts.

Fiasco has the playset idea adapted so anyone can easily create their own adventure in no time. This sounded like a really exciting part, as it provided a bunch of stuff so Keepers can whip up all they need for a session in about 20 mins. It sounds like there are questions posed to the players at the session start which influence the world and what is within it; this seems to be a very lite implementation of City Creation from Dresden Files. (I'm not presenting the whole thing as cool as it sounded to me, I really liked what was said about all of this). They also wanted to share other people's ideas on their site, much like Fiasco does, so if you're short on time, you can grab someone else's framework and run with it.

FATE was mentioned as the creator liked "Declarations"; I own FATE games, but haven't read any yet, so I'm not entirely sure what that would entail.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Danoss posted:

FATE was mentioned as the creator liked "Declarations"; I own FATE games, but haven't read any yet, so I'm not entirely sure what that would entail.
Declarations are when a player spends a Fate Point (metagame currency) to declare a minor fact about something, like "they missed my lockpicks when they search me", "I know a guy who can get us guns", "I happen to be able to read Ancient Sumerian", or "the keys are in the ignition".

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

Declarations are when a player spends a Fate Point (metagame currency) to declare a minor fact about something, like "they missed my lockpicks when they search me", "I know a guy who can get us guns", "I happen to be able to read Ancient Sumerian", or "the keys are in the ignition".

Ooh, thanks! That seems like that would fit nicely in an AW style game with minimal effort. Hold or Lore or whatever it's called could be spent to do such a thing.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

InfiniteJesters posted:

It's also pretty easily modifiable, which means anyone with some spare time, the means to write PDFs, and a brain can try their own hand at it.

My hope is to one day make a mecha game where pilot skills and robot abilities are each half a playbook. Hot-blooded snipers and girly girl Supers, huzzah!

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

ravenkult posted:

HitTheTargets posted:

My hope is to one day make a mecha game where pilot skills and robot abilities are each half a playbook. Hot-blooded snipers and girly girl Supers, huzzah!

I want both of these things, right now. Why the hell aren't you both making these? I don't want to hear any petty excuses about jobs, or loved ones, or needing "food" and "water".

In other news, my lazy rear end is slowly working through making Dungeon World look vaguely like Persona World.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oddly enough my group's favorite thing about FATE is how skills work and getting to roll fudge dice, as well as declarations. Their least favorite is tying aspects into so much stuff and how many of them can come up in bigger/more interesting combats and people fate-point-dumping onto enemies/big bads so they just steamroll it or succumb to "Nuh-uh, I spend a Fate point TOO!".

I really look forward to how tremulous addresses this, maybe awarding "story points" or something who knows. It'd be interesting to gain them on a 6 or less so you can turn multiple failures into out-of-left-field comebacks through narration.

Edit: If tremulous doesn't end up doing it that way I will!

Edit 2: Ok it seems tremulous does it through a move, "Poke Around" where you can make very minor declarations on the immediate scene, so it's a more minor and immediate move similar to Dungeon World's "Spout Lore" for Wizards.

Fenarisk fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Aug 28, 2012

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

Holy poo poo make this right now and give it to us. We wants it.

Here's a thing.

The ''Chapters'' side is where Aspects go.

There's also an Unknown Armies inspired sanity mechanic that gives you demonic aspects called Scars (the more horrible poo poo you see/do, the more power your demon has over you).

edit: Lower right: We use poker chips for Fate Points. You stack them over the ace of spades (Darkness = Fate Points).

ravenkult fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 28, 2012

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Wow, that is stylish as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrape
Apr 10, 2007

i've been sharpening a knife in the bathroom.
That sheet is really interesting, I wanna play that game.

• Locked thread