Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
If we use Jonthgm's ignore the sideshow, the +2 armor wouldn't actually come up that often, would it? Possibly have it only apply when you're actually facing The Fucker themselves, to represent just how hard for vengeance the character is. Or possibly have the character ignore the results of all harm rolls not made by the Fucker until the end of combat. I believe a Monster of the Week playbook has a similar ability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The problem is the Wronged is still not quite specific enough. Like, the Wronged wants to kill all draculas because draculas killed their loved ones. The Bride/Revenger/Vengant/Fuckee wants to hunt down and kill Dracula, singular. Probably by slicing up Dracula's dracula minions, but they don't give a poo poo if they kill all the minions or not. They just want to Kill Dracula.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The Revenant should really have a Trusty Revolver and Hanzo Steel options for their weapons.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I think Apocalypse World would be a great system to play a team of Neil Patrick Harris as compared to 3:16's great emulation of Casper Van Dien play. You're not grunts, although you may have a team of them at your command.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Grenades can wipe out a team member but the idea is you never ever use grenades unless poo poo would wipe out part of the team anyway. They are a very last resort weapon.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

HitTheTargets posted:

Since the playbooks are the largest portion of any Word game, it robably comes diwn to what you want your players to be doing. How close are you adhering to the Metal Gear formula? I doubt an entire Chopper* gang would be all that sneaky, but there's room in the world for them somewhere. Probably as a PMC. And it might not make sense for the local Hardholder to be invading his own fortress, but hell, crazier poo poo has happened when The Patriots were involved.

*Oh hey, I'm not even into One Piece but a conversion would be great.

There's a Chopper gang in MGS4, Meryl and her dumbwits. Now I'm just imagining Drebin as a Hoarder giving out points to increase his hoard of deadly deadly guns.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Evil Mastermind posted:

Dammit. That's what happens when you try to do BB codes in a text editor.

Not sure what you mean there. Unless you mean there should be a way for the character to get their old playbook back; I intended this to mean "once the Lead gets to large, he's gotten away from you forever and you've lost your shot at vengeance."

I think Lemon Curdistan means there should be an end condition for the -1 to everything you ever do.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I haven't even played a game of Apocalypse World, but I'm already brainstorming using the Revenant's lead mechanic to make a playbook about trying to find out what happened to put the Apocalypse in Apocalypse World. The system is just that awesome.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Here are some I listed up: Robo, K.I.L.R.O.Y, Festus, Toro, Hammond, Scrappy, Rover.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Scrape posted:

Thank you! Here's a link that will get you The Grotesque in exchange for doing a good deed, if anyone needs it.

So, can anyone tell me in vague terms about the Grotesque? I'm probably going to do something to benefit society and grab it, but I'm curious about what I'm going to get.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
When you try to explain why Apocalypse World rocks, roll +sharp. On a 10+ your explanation is perfect. On a 7-9, you get the gist across but didn't express some vital point. The GM will tell you what you missed. On a 6- you've angered a wandering Grognard, and they're prepared to debate your claims. Badly.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Using sharp instead of hard is thematic and sort of interesting. Separate Beast of War into two mandatory moves so it's less ugly to look at.

Chaos Antenna and Well Ventilated Brain don't fit and should probably be given the boot for something else. What part of being a weak man (woman(gendered)) in a bigass suit makes you able to open up your mind to the hosed up apocalypse with your smarts? Give them something more like the Spyfly move instead.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The problem with Chaos Antenna isn't removed just because it only works in battle. Why does being in a suit made for loving poo poo up allow a character to dick with the Maelstrom?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I totally see him as a Hardholder. Look at him, right out of frame are people coming for orders on how to keep the farms going and the raiders away.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

aldantefax posted:

Mechfishing World hack.

You know what they say: To Do It, Do It.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Desty posted:

When your turn to suffer this season comes up, roll +Hard. On a 10+, choose one. On a 7-9, choose two. On a 6 or less, choose three.

* Your wife is possessed by space-satan, but becomes a nicer person while possessed.
* That doctor guy shows up again and wants to go to the holodeck.
* Something breaks and it might be your fault.
* Something that looks like backstory happens, but it isn't.
* Quark runs out of scotch.

On a 12+, Choose one from this list.

*Sent back in time surrounded by characters that are exactly like the people you interact with daily.
*Have a heart warming moment with a character of your choice.
*Garak happens.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Well, we have Bitter Fruit, but it's also a bit Dungeon World and specifically for pulpy 1930's heroism.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I hope it's a Videodrome hack.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It totally could be and probably should be a separate playbook. Even if it's not your JOB, the nuke you're deadswitched to/ the virus running in your veins/ the threat of Maelstrom Things if you come to harm is worth exploring. The Gunlugger is hard because they're the best at inflicting pain, the Battlebabe because they just don't give a gently caress, the Hardholder because you have to be hard to keep poo poo together. But you, how hard do you have to be to take everyone down with you if it all goes south? Do you have to be hard at all? What kind of chickenshit needs a big boogity boogity bomb to keep their rear end out of the fire?

Play to find out.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Elderbean posted:

How do you guys handle the post apocalpyse without it getting too depressing? How do you handle all the sex without it getting weird? Fade to black?

The same way Mad Max and Fallout do it. The GM determines what gets focused on, like Rasamune says. If you need to hit a bleak note to show exactly how bad a player character is hurting people to do what they want, go bleak. If you need gonzo scenes to establish the motorcycle raiders as crazy bastards that back the bluff, go gonzo.

Sex moves aren't actually about sex. They're about the intimate, awkward moments afterwords where the character tries to figure out what this means now, has anything changes, have I changed? Or, in the Battlebabe's case, the move isn't actually about anything. Fuckin's just fuckin.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
If you have archives, this is the best: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3514461

EDIT: It also has a great example in what not to do as a player in me, who didn't engage worth a drat and ended up just giving an NPC to a better more interesting character.

Mr. Maltose fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Sep 14, 2013

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yeah, Going Aggro is give me what I want or I hurt you. Seizing by Force is give me what I want, and I want to hurt you.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Sounds like a cool thing to homebrew up!

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Monster of the Week skews really really hard towards the Buffy/Supernatural side of, well, Monster Of The Week shows. There's an assumption that you can punch/stab/shoot whatever so long as you know what you're doing it to and the gotchas involved.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Really, if you imagine the zombies as a byproduct of the Maelstom or some post-apoc heeky deeky you're good to go.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Benagain posted:

The only thing this needs to be perfect is a new name for the Gunlugger.

I'm just going to throw out The Iron Fist as a good replacement name.

Man, Cyphoderus, that is an amazing amount of thought put into the whole thing. Although I don't know why you created the Grapple range when the Intimate range exists.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
To be fair, he admits his error about Angel power and discusses it in the comments.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

malkav11 posted:

Okay, now adapt the Space Marine Mammal to the western.

Dolphin in a giant robot....FROM THE FUTURE.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It warms my heart to see the Feng Shui hack working better than expected.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Benagain posted:

Seeing this for the first time, "..wait, are you crazy?" is probably one of the best moves I've come across.

edit: is it just me or am I seeing some Legends of the Wulin influence in here? Or did Legends of the Wulin take some inspiriation from Feng Shui

Depends on what bits you mean. It's not impossible that Wulin might have grabbed some stuff from Feng Shui, there's nearly a decade between them, after all.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
You may want to look at Spirit of '77, which divides roles into two groups of What You Do and How You Do It. Even if you don't want to do that go look at Spirit of '77 because it is a good ApocEngine game.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Covok posted:

I guess it is worth nothing that I originally intended this to be a golden age hack and I kind of tacked on the silver age because I thought the silver age was "gold age + science fiction focus" (as well as tons of gimmicky things like batman being turned into a baby). I might be wrong, but I think what you're describing as the silver age is what is often referred to as, at least I thought so, the bronze age of comics.

The silver age is actually very distinct thematically from the Golden Age, which is easy to miss if you're dismissing things as gimmicks. The Bronze Age is yet another thematically distinct area of comics, but things like Neal Adam's Batman or Green Arrow/Green Lantern are firmly in the Silver Age and no one would call them 1940's comics with a sci-fi focus.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
You may want to stop by BSS because more informed posters than I can give you a pretty thorough breakdown of when and how things changed.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The Kree-Skrull War was hell, okay?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The Ascended are different because they don't cause corruption to siphon off power from the legitimate government, they ARE the legitimate government. Things working at least moderately efficiently is to their interest.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
No matter how many new shiny PbTA games show up, ApocWorld will always be there as a guaranteed good balanced game.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Captain Foo has a tragic anime allergy.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The problem is, especially especially with Shadowrun, is that many RPGs are terribly schizophrenic in genre conventions. Like, the very existence of the Mirrorshades Pink Mohawk split means that it'd be far simpler to return to first principles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Having played some WWW with some buddies who have never played RPGs but have way too much fun with wrestling I can attest that the game owns bones.

• Locked thread