Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Evil Mastermind posted:

For moves, yes it's pretty straightforward. Playbooks would be a little trickier, though, because while you could stick to "Brick/Speedster/Gadgeteer" and so on, you want to have enough customization for people to play the type of Brick they want.

How so? Do you mean, like, the way any given Gunlugger could be a sniper or a machinegunner or a grenade launcherer? That seems doable with superheroes. Like, instead of Gear everyone gets minor powers that grant extra tags for when they do whatever they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came up with "The Marked" but didn't suggest it because a. it could be confused with The Fucker and b. in general my ideas were less revenge focused and more had-a-brush-with-death focused.

Also I came up with "The Revenger" and "The Avenger". One sounds a touch too silly still, the other builds in some righteousness that not all players would want if they're after ~Daaaaaaark Vengeaaaaaaance!~

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Pushing into weird experimental art-game territory here, but what if you made two versions of the playbook? One for going after revenge and one you automatically switch to when vengeance is yours.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Rasamune posted:

Apocalypse World already has a mechanism for this: You just switch to another playbook.

Yeah but... everyone can do that. And what if you don't want to switch? If the Gunlugger puts away his guns and picks up an Angel kit, that's his choice. But he can also choose to keep his guns (Obama!), where the Revenant can't choose to keep his Target. What, are you gonna get the fucker dead to rights and let him go? :cmon:

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

InfiniteJesters posted:

It's also pretty easily modifiable, which means anyone with some spare time, the means to write PDFs, and a brain can try their own hand at it.

My hope is to one day make a mecha game where pilot skills and robot abilities are each half a playbook. Hot-blooded snipers and girly girl Supers, huzzah!

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

BrainParasite posted:

Danger Patrol Gundam?

The original idea was for OYW Gundam, actually. And I separated the two parts with the idea that the mechs would be swappable between missions, for mid-series upgrades or else just because. If I don't go generic to take advantage of * World's story gaming strengths the trick will be figuring out a balance between player specialness and the grim capriciousness of death in a Tomino story.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

That's nice of you to assume this isn't Goon Project-y as all hell. Want to hear about how time works in Zybourne World?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Desty posted:

Because I am the ultimate waste of carbon, I was thinking about how to run a Metal Gear knockoff game in *World, and apart from just changing the story, is there really anything less-than-optimal about using straight up A-world for such a terrible idea? I'm not really seeing anything that doesn't work mechanically or even flavor-wise.

Since the playbooks are the largest portion of any Word game, it robably comes diwn to what you want your players to be doing. How close are you adhering to the Metal Gear formula? I doubt an entire Chopper* gang would be all that sneaky, but there's room in the world for them somewhere. Probably as a PMC. And it might not make sense for the local Hardholder to be invading his own fortress, but hell, crazier poo poo has happened when The Patriots were involved.

*Oh hey, I'm not even into One Piece but a conversion would be great.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

gently caress you.

...Now I know what I'm doing when I'm done with Persona.

Hey, you only need four or five playbooks plus some iterated customization lists. That's totally easy!

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

On Baker's writing, I really love the flavor he manages to inject into the game. The class descriptions especially, since that's all they are, but also the way he keeps it up through the otherwise boring parts. It really helps MY IMMERSION and makes me wish for a Jack Kirby game.

Tasoth posted:

If we're tossing out ideas for games done with the *World ruleset, may I suggest a setting where you are humans/robots fighting against the robot apocalypse or one based off of Greek myth and tragedies? I was already toying with the Greek one, but I don't have a strong understanding of the Greek tragedy as a whole and no time to devote to it.

The former seems doable with the base game, but for the latter you might want to look into a fruity little storygame by the name of Polaris. It's a Forge game built around what's essentially Greek tragedy minus the Greek.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

MadRhetoric posted:

You made an Astro Boy class and don't have Atom as a name, Tasoth. Hand in your cat ears and ~*ANIME*~ badge.

Gally, Pris, Dorothy, Aigis, Molly for female Machine Hunter names.

He did have a Shin Mazinger ref though, so he keeps his supa robo cred.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

ravenkult posted:

Are there any Fallout playbooks and whatnots?

How specific are you hoping to get? The Tribal might've been inspired by Fallout, I guess.

Most other factions would probably come down to picking the right Playbook from the base game + the LE books. Follower = Angel, Ranger = Gunlugger or Battlebabe, Courier = Operator. For DIY hacks, you could probably convert the Faceless into the Legionnaire in about five minutes. Ever so slightly refluff the Quarantine for a Vault Dweller. That sort of thing.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Scrape posted:

A Boy and his Dog sounds awesome. I've only grabbed a few playbooks but I must have this one... where is the link for this "EM's set" you're mentioning? Is it in this thread somewhere and I missed it?

It's in the OP. EM = Evil Mastermind.

Edit: Wait, now I can't find it. NVM :/

HitTheTargets fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Sep 8, 2012

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Mors Rattus posted:

Having finally made it through this thread, I want to make 7th World. Because I love 7th Sea but hate the system and want to make it work in more cool systems.

Playbooks would include The Swordsman, El Vago, The Fate Witch, The Scientist or The Musketeer.

And The Pirate, of course.

(When you quip wittily in a fight, roll +Panache. On a 10+, pick three. On a 7-9, pick 2. On a 6-, pick one.

You get +1 forward against your target.
Your target gets -1 forward against you.
You don't anger them enough to escalate the conflict.)

You'd probably have to make one for each magic style. Because Porte is so Apoc World it hurts.

When you walk through a bleeding portal roll +Cool.

On a 10+, sweet, you made it.
On a 7-9, pick one: You're sick. Take -1 forward.
You lost something precious.
You aren't where you want to be.
On a miss, something happened in there. The MC will tell you what.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I'm honestly not a fan of the Huggernaut's (a typo, but I'm keeping it because hugs) moves. I mean, I can take or leave the fact that their best stat is Sharp, but the move list itself is all over the place. First off, why do they have Augury? Why is their default move two moves in one? Why do they have two "roll +Sharp instead of..." moves?

My best guess is maybe the Jugg is a combo Gunlugger-Savvyhead, but it's a little too good at being both and the fiction doesn't suggest much Savvyhead to me.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

The Jenny

I mean, uh, looks like you've got all your bases covered. It'll be interesting to see how Swordsman breaks, given the just how much of the original game was sword skills. Not to give you even more work, but have you thought about skinning country of origin like Dungeon World races?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Eureka and Blood Science probably ought to be instant instead of hold-based, but I'm just guessing on that.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Nothing really deep. I just think with Eureka, you wouldn't examine a thing unless you already had questions, and it makes sense to get the answers when you do the examining. I'm thinking exactly along the lines of Savvyhead's Things Speak here. And thinking about it, Blood Science will probably work just fine either way. Some of the fun of a looser storygaming approach is being able to retcon your gear so that you the player don't have to worry about being prepared.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

By "retro-future" do you mean Steampunk? Just do regular AW but everyone's Gear has gears.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I hadn't thought of L5R, but I had been thinking about a Samurai game that could double as an Arthurian hack. Or any other time & place where big-H Honor is a big deal, really. That would be the fundamental scarcity in these hypothetical scenarios.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

So that's 11 playbooks in the base game and I counted 36 stretch goal playbooks. That's madness!

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Cyphoderus posted:

I was thinking about Dune playbooks and came up with The Bodyguard. Then I thought, poo poo, maybe there is actual design space for that in AW. The basic concept:

The Protector. The unique Thing you have is your master's life, for better and for worse.
You'd get to pick who your master was. A rich man? Your little sister? The teenage holding the world's last hope?
You get trust from them, and can cash that trust in to use their resources.
When in defense of your master, you're a monster, maybe you even fight like a gang.

What do you think?

You could expand it to include non-living things like Eli's book in that one Denzel Washington movie. It's Paladin friendly, too. You don't want to crossover too much with the Touchstone obviously, but the concept does lend itself well to being the last chivalric man in a twisted, nasty world. That'll get you your Ghost Dog fix.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Has muscle wizard met his match?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Tiger posted:

Oh right, I also added my Moomin hack to the list while I was at it. Excuse the English in that one, I wrote it in Swedish and did a quick and dirty translation.

I love the Something Awful forums. How else would I have seen Moomin, and Apocalypse World, AND MOOMIN WORLD? You deserve a whiskey.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

One syllable too many in that last line, chief.

What do you do?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Tollymain posted:

Doesn't a chopper character roll for when his gang does things?

Only when directly using the gang as a weapon, I think. Gangs don't roll, because gangs don't have stats.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

It might depend on whether the game is intended to focus mainly on the demons or the Joe Schmoes playing host to them. A demon has a terrible Majesty, a dude has a kind of Presence or Charm.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Crested Penguin posted:

So one of my players made a countdown clock cake for our last game.

Each of the decorations represents a different character. Pills for the drug dealing maestro-d, machete for the touchstone, wrench for the savvy head and briefcase for the hocus (his cult is all about corporate culture). The crystals are sugar but represent the salt cult, the most persistent threat in our game.

I wonder if you should send that picture to Vincent Baker? He'd probably get a kick out of it, but he might be disappointed he didn't get a slice.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I'd imagine a German translation would sound suitably :black101: to English speakers.

Anyway, yet another white-noise hack idea to never be made: aROCKalypse World. Featuring The Lead, The Drummer, and less obvious choices like The Diva or The Roadie.. Essentially you'd be RPing a rock opera.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Rasamune posted:

I've been trying to think of good translations for the playbook names into Japanese — some of them are pretty easy (Tenshi for Angel, Banchou for Chopper, Tensai for Savvyhead), but how the heck to translate concepts like Battlebabe, Operator, and Hocus?

The Op is about having other gigs, so I'd flip that to give the impression of not having just one gig. In other words, being masterless: The Ronin.

The Battlebabe is about sexy death danger: Bishojo Senshi (:v:)

The Hocus is tricky, but mostly about Rollin' Deep with your nakama and inspiring zeal in any group you meet. If you're ok with Engrish ( and grabbing from TV Tropes) go with: The Messiah. That or find out what Japanese fans call Jesus Yamato.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Just so's I'm clear on this, are you worried about the characters catching this detail or the players?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Run! There's a Monsterhearts behind you!

Run, Monsterhearts!

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

In the tradition of the Quarantine and the Marmot, but mostly the Marmot, Vincent designed a playbook to promote a Kickstarter. The KS has ended, but these things always show up eventually.

Beware the Space Marine Mammals.

50 years ago, the enemies of Earth unleashed a psychic weapon that destroyed all hope for the future of dolphinity. Anticipating the attack and its outcome, leaving many behind to suffer and die, your grandparents rushed to evacuate Earth. They built secret orbital stations and expanded the hidden Mars base into a functional colony. Their grandchildren — you — are all that remains of true dolphinity after this appalling apocalyptic assault.

Today, the mission to reclaim Earth begins.

HitTheTargets fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 5, 2013

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Bucnasti posted:

A friend and I are working on our own *World game and I'd like to hear what people think of an idea I had.

I'm thinking of replacing the standard numerical stats with descriptive traits instead. Here's how I'm thinking it would work:

Does anyone see any problems arising from this? Am I overlooking anything?

I'd like to hear a little more information. At a guess, it sounds like you're okay with having characters be broadly competent, so do bad stats not exist? Like, if the dude with +2 Might gets three useful tags, what about the dude with -1 Might?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Well, keep in my mind there's nothing wrong with running AW and saying "playbooks X, Y, and Z are off limits." No Brainers or Savvyheads, maybe, or no combat classes, or no dudes in charge of gangs. Whatever feels right to you.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Humanity could work, depending on how negatively societ is affected by that kind of cyber stuff in your setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Boing posted:

Is there an Apoc World playbook for being a futuristic Fallout-style robot? This is important

There was one in this very thread called the Machine Hunter. It was an android or reasonably bipedal robot that hunted other robots, Megaman-style, on the assumption that its only used in games where the Apocalypse was "the robots flipped out and killed poo poo." I can't think of any that've gone for the Mr. Handy or Brainbot type of automaton, though.

Edit: Found it.

It comes with rules for a robot buddy!

HitTheTargets fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Sep 5, 2013

• Locked thread