Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
New plan: build a planet full of Big Bertha cannons in secret, then fly it in close and give the enemy base a full broadside.

Addendum to new plan: get an old-style admiral's hat and put it on when executing new plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

I wonder how far your Radars can "see". I assume the maps will be loving huge, if you can play a game with 39 other players, so hopefully even the best radar won't be able to see you build a planet full of Nuke silo's at the edge of the map.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
TA and SupCom had radar jammers that prevented you from seeing things on the minimap unless you had direct line of sight so you should have no problems as long as you have a jammer and a decent enough picket to prevent the stray scout from making visual contact with your nuclear asteroid base.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Eej posted:

TA and SupCom had radar jammers that prevented you from seeing things on the minimap unless you had direct line of sight so you should have no problems as long as you have a jammer and a decent enough picket to prevent the stray scout from making visual contact with your nuclear asteroid base.

True, radar jammers might work most of the times. But if you're against a better than average person, he will see your commander (or engineer) fly to that planet, before you put a jammer on there. Unless you hop from planet to planet while building a jammer on each of them, but that'll take ages I suppose.

What was the range on radars in Supcom 1? About 20% of the map in 20x20km?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Jammers were mobile and functioned perfectly while being transported on an air transport. No one notices as long as they're not patrolling places like that with scout planes (which you should).

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Poil posted:

Jammers were mobile and functioned perfectly while being transported on an air transport. No one notices as long as they're not patrolling places like that with scout planes (which you should).

Ah, haven't played TA for a very long time now, didn't remember they were mobile. Then it should be okay, scout planes are pretty easy to get rid of if you're in a game with 40 people.

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
What if enemy radar sees your stuff before you put a stealth field up? Does it just disappear or stop updating? And did TA ever have omni radar like SC?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It simply hides the dots on the minimap. TA didn't have omni radar, I don't think.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Man, I'm so stoked for this. TA was the video game that got me addicted to video games, and has made me a total RTS man from my early days despite lots of FPS'ing. It's been almost a decade and a half and there still hasn't been an RTS game that's scratched that TA itch.

I never liked Supcom, I always felt that it was just a poorly made sequel to TA, so the fact that they're specifically saying this is TA inspired and NOT Supcom is a huge plus. I pitched in $40 and can't wait till the beta comes out so I can enjoy it early and (hopefully) help make a good balanced game.

Oh, and if you guys are feeling the need to play some TA, check out Spring like was mentioned earlier in this thread. It's TA on a new engine with some needed balance tweaks, but still a faithful remake. Specifically, Balanced Annihilation. Disclaimer: It is a little bit of a hassle to get setup. There's a huge release coming up that's a 100% visual overhaul(complete remake of ALL models and textures), and should be out in a month or two, and will have a proper simple installer. I'll make a thread for it when it comes out.

I played MNC and didn't think it was either a bad or good game, fairly bland in my opinion, but here's to hoping they can do a good job on a successor to TA. Good luck Uber!

w0o0o0o
Aug 26, 2007
bloop.

Poil posted:

It simply hides the dots on the minimap. TA didn't have omni radar, I don't think.

Nope, you can get radar and sonar in TA but only separately. There's probably a unit pack floating around out there somewhere with an equivalent though.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The TA commander has both radar and sonar and the omni radar from SupCom detects stealthed units. :eng101:

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
Supreme commander and FA are currently on Steam's daily deals, 3.7 eur for both.

Going to give that one a try again with some friends. Can anyone who played it recently give some MP hints, any must-have mods or settings?

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Beef posted:

Supreme commander and FA are currently on Steam's daily deals, 3.7 eur for both.

Going to give that one a try again with some friends. Can anyone who played it recently give some MP hints, any must-have mods or settings?

Haven't really played it recently, but a second monitor is loving awesome in Supcom. Also: you can make building-templates in skirmishes and use them in multiplayer as well. That saves a shitload of time.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Since they are gonna put space travel in there, why can't they put space battles. I want hundreds of ships, space stations, and death ray satellites. That's another thing TA didn't have.

sgnl05
Jan 16, 2007
Lurker

Hihohe posted:

Since they are gonna put space travel in there, why can't they put space battles.

This was covered a bit in the PC Gamer interview:

quote:

Mavor: The short answer is, I want to not have too much in the way of that space battle stuff. I want it to be… I’m launching a rocket from this planet to that planet, and when that rocket is in flight, you’re not doing a whole lot with it. You’re not dealing with it. It’s more like a transport mechanism. And the reason for that is, I think space battles, space armadas and stuff like that, require a completely different kind of interface and a completely different way of handling it. I want the combat to be mostly ground-based. We will have satellites, a satellite layer around the worlds, where there can be some space stuff that happens.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
I think the multiple planet aspect is going to be a great way to have large scale war, but still have adequate separation so there's plenty of room to manoeuvre and take advantage of position rather than just having more stuff than the other guy.

Will watch this one closely.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm glad they're not adding space battles, it would get way too messy with all the other stuff.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Hihohe posted:

Since they are gonna put space travel in there, why can't they put space battles. I want hundreds of ships, space stations, and death ray satellites. That's another thing TA didn't have.

Have you ever played an RTS that is actually space-based? It's a completely different beast, and requires a totally different kind of UI and control system and would not mesh well with TA-style RTS gameplay.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I'll be happy if some object, not boats, have the ability to sprout legs and walk away. I'd be happy with boats doing that too.

Dipes
Oct 24, 2003
I guess the only thing I'm worried about here is the ability to manage multiple worlds. I think it could get mega overwhelming. But their trailer looks nice, even though it's all pre-rendered.

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.
Although space battles may be out, hopefully the idea of a "satellite" layer won't just include moons and other cosmic bodies but actual things you can throw up into orbit that circle around a planet.

Because this game is just begging for a slow-to-position Ion Cannon.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

It's a shame there isn't space battles. They could simply treat them in the same way that ships are treated in most rts games, and would also allow some pretty sweet orbital bombardment stuff and transport gimmicks. :<

Elos
Jan 8, 2009

It's good that they aren't even trying to jam space battles in, they've got their hands full enough already.

I'm thinking this could be the first kickstarter for me but it just seems a bit too big for them to pull off. :smith:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Having to play Super Annihilation Galaxy and Homeworld at the same time would be such a clusterfuck so not having space combat is fine.

As long as you can launch missiles through space anyhoo.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Ah, but imagine if players dedicate themselves into covering separate theaters of the battle. Imagine desperately trying to destroy the enemy planet-side before the manage to overcome your struggling space forces. Ah well, mods!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The biggest problem with space forces is that there'd be no reason to build anything else. Sea power suffers from limited range preventing it from destroying things far enough inland, but with space power there'd be no real way to prevent it from just bombing everything anywhere on the surface.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Third World Reggin posted:

I'll be happy if some object, not boats, have the ability to sprout legs and walk away. I'd be happy with boats doing that too.

Only as long as there's an option to disable the legs on the boats so that if you tell them to sail up ze river they'll actually do that instead of trying to cut through s-bends at the snails pace they walk at. Like those awful cybran destroyers from SupCom.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
I would lose games because I kept those cybran destroyers zoomed in, awed.

Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

Man, all this kickstarter stuff pisses me off. I get super excited about a game and then realise that it is in pre-development and we are likely a year from even a playable alpha. I'd much prefer if games ambushed me out of the blue and were 100% playable when I discover them.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Wingless posted:

Man, all this kickstarter stuff pisses me off. I get super excited about a game and then realise that it is in pre-development and we are likely a year from even a playable alpha. I'd much prefer if games ambushed me out of the blue and were 100% playable when I discover them.

Although I do agree with your last sentence, I do believe the alpha and beta will be a lot sooner. All the backer levels say "Est. delivery: Jul 2013", so I'm just going to assume it will be launched around that time.

sgnl05
Jan 16, 2007
Lurker

Eej posted:

Having to play Super Annihilation Galaxy and Homeworld at the same time would be such a clusterfuck so not having space combat is fine.

Yeah this. No matter how incredible their interface is fighting across multiple planets is still going to be like playing several games of TA at the same time. Throwing a serious space combat mechanic on top of that is a recipe for disaster.

In fact I hope there isn't too much emphasis on the space stuff. TA and supcom were all about terrestrial combat, and it'd be a shame if the game became too much about teching up to get into space as soon as possible in order to fling asteroids about and win games like that.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

"It is rather that precisely in that which is newest the face of the world never alters, that this newest remains, in every aspect, the same. - This constitutes the eternity of hell."

-Walter Benjamin, "The Arcades Project"
Can anyone explain why all their stretch goals are "locked?" Have they just not been announced yet? I'm inclined to shell out some money just because they've committed to a Linux release, but I really would like to see a single player campaign.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Wingless posted:

I'd much prefer if games ambushed me out of the blue and were 100% playable when I discover them.

We haven't had that since the '90s.

I'm just getting a real 'spore' vibe to this; they appear to making a lot of promises.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

MaterialConceptual posted:

Can anyone explain why all their stretch goals are "locked?" Have they just not been announced yet? I'm inclined to shell out some money just because they've committed to a Linux release, but I really would like to see a single player campaign.

They're most likely locked until they reach the initial goal. Also, they hinted that a stretch goal might be a campaign. Source.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

"It is rather that precisely in that which is newest the face of the world never alters, that this newest remains, in every aspect, the same. - This constitutes the eternity of hell."

-Walter Benjamin, "The Arcades Project"

Seditiar posted:

They're most likely locked until they reach the initial goal. Also, they hinted that a stretch goal might be a campaign. Source.

Thanks, I guess I'll throw 20 bucks their way and hope for the best.

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006
Something really profound
So yeah, got redirected here from the supcom thread and I'm glad I was. This pushes so many of my buttons that I don't think there's any way I'm not going to end up chucking $50 at these guys.

Like someone else already mentioned, it's great to see the game space mapped as a whole planet - so no one has the "corner" or "edge" of the game area. It's great to have the thought that you need to be prepared to defend from all angles, and of course have the option to attack from so many other directions too. The planet in the intro video looks way too small for my taste, but as others have said that's just one possible size and much larger will be possible. I just wouldn't want for the core gameplay of terrain/land/air/naval(?) combat being marginalised in favour of the multi-planet elements. There's an awesome balance to be had here I reckon, and hopefully the kickstarter element will allow us to have some real input into how it pans out. It's easy to nit-pick afterwards, now we get to face the real challenge to making it work from a blank slate, I'm excited as to how this could work out.

Personally, I'm not so into the art direction demonstrated, I prefer the gritty style rather than the TF2/WoW style, but that's not enough to offset the potential awesome contained within this game. And indeed possibly could end up refined on that score anyway.

MaterialConceptual posted:

I'm inclined to shell out some money just because they've committed to a Linux release, but I really would like to see a single player campaign.

I get the impression that an SP campaign is one of the later stretch goals. It would need things like an AI and other stuff that needs more time investment, so I think they want to get the core experience as the first second and third priorities. Or maybe they will just leave enough support in the engine to allow the mod community to pick up and run with that bit.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Azzip posted:

I get the impression that an SP campaign is one of the later stretch goals. It would need things like an AI and other stuff that needs more time investment, so I think they want to get the core experience as the first second and third priorities. Or maybe they will just leave enough support in the engine to allow the mod community to pick up and run with that bit.

Kickstarter Information page posted:

You can also hone your skills against Planetary Annihilation’s AI or team up with a friend against multiple AI’s.

As you can see, there already is an AI. They "just" need to make a shitload of maps and a good amount of random objectives in said maps. Of course that's still a lot of work, but they won't have to write a complete AI just for the campaign.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Having missed out on the early bird $15 rate, and seeing its not going to be released until July of next year, I think I'll hold on to my money for now and keep a distant eye on it.

That said, I will totally make a fleet of asteroid bombs to throw as I will.

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006
Something really profound

Seditiar posted:

As you can see, there already is an AI.

So there is, missed that somehow.

Either way, its going to be focused around the core multiplayer experience, but if people are willing to fund a campaign then good for em. I'm happy for there to be one as long as it doesnt divert resources from MP. I won't play it, but understand there will be people who do want to. I think they'd do it like a proper campaign though, as in a structured set of story based objectives, rather than random stuff around the maps (which could stand alone as some part of skirmish or horde mode).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Azzip posted:

I think they'd do it like a proper campaign though, as in a structured set of story based objectives, rather than random stuff around the maps (which could stand alone as some part of skirmish or horde mode).

Yeah, I don't usually like campaigns in RTS games (Starcraft 2 being the exception), I do hope they can surprise me with an awesome campaign, though. I understand that they would need a lot more money (and thus the stretch goals) for that though, as creating a decent storyline can take up a shitload of hours.

• Locked thread