Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sgnl05
Jan 16, 2007
Lurker

Ok, normally I wouldn't make a whole thread for random kickstarter project #1298423 but honestly this one is just too awesome not to. It's a spiritual successor to TA and Supcom being made by Uber Entertainment (the guys that did Monday Night Combat) and apparently they've got a bunch of the original TA and SC developers on the project, including the lead coder.

They've got a site that explains the whole project rather nicely (and includes a cool video that you should definitely watch) over here:

http://planetaryannihilation.com/

but if you want the lowdown the main points seem to be:

• TA/ Supcom style gameplay across an entire solar system
  • strap rockets to planets to use them as giant missiles
  • 40 player games that last 24 hours
  • client/ server multiplayer model
  • They've got the guy who did the narration for the original TA (this is the most important point)

Also here's an interview that I found:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/08/15/planetary-annihilation-interview/

I'll update this with some more info as it appears/ I find it. Looks like it's still early days yet and since it's kickstarter it could all come to nothing, but these kinds of RTS games are as rare as hen's teeth and this project looks amazing so I figured it deserved a little hype. Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go give them all of my money.

EDIT:

MrBims has set up an IRC channel here that you can use to organise games.

sgnl05 fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jun 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ValhallaSmith
Aug 16, 2005
Just saw this over on HN. I really hope this thing makes it, and they make it well. It sounds awesome, though july 2013 seems ages away.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

sgnl05 posted:

but if you want the lowdown the main points seem to be:

• strap rockets to planets to use them as giant missiles

:stare:

Although how do you have 40 player games that last for 24 hours? As cool as the idea is, whose gonna stick around for the entire duration of 24? Unless it's like a shift thing or something.

sgnl05
Jan 16, 2007
Lurker

Is that the release date? I didn't know they had one yet.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Revitalized posted:

Although how do you have 40 player games that last for 24 hours? As cool as the idea is, whose gonna stick around for the entire duration of 24? Unless it's like a shift thing or something.

The point is that the game (in theory) scales to whatever size you want it to be. You can play 20 minute matches on a single moon, or massive 24 hour affairs across an entire solar system.

They're also bringing back some of SupCom's coolest features like multi monitor support and advanced order queueing, and have promised mod support.

This basically looks like a love letter to fans of TA/SupCom. The more I hear about it, the more I like it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

This thread title seems really wrong. This game seems like it may be inspired by TA in a way but overall it seems so different that calling it a remake is selling it short by a lot.

The concept is cool, and the pitch video is cool, and I want this game to exist and be good. But I'm also pretty bitter over Uber and their complete game development ADD where they can't just seem to focus on a single thing and make that thing good. SMNC is kind of a mess. I just hope that doesn't really bleed over into this project.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Revitalized posted:

:stare:

Do like AI wars, play for 14 hours, save the game, go to bed, then load up the game, then finish the game.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

wargames posted:

Do like AI wars, play for 14 hours, save the game, go to bed, then load up the game, then finish the game.

Don't know where the 24 hour number came from, but the Kickstarter campaign page just says 12+ hours for that size game.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

XboxPants posted:

Don't know where the 24 hour number came from, but the Kickstarter campaign page just says 12+ hours for that size game.

It's from the PC gamer interview. The developer is just hypothesizing about what the game could handle, not saying that would be the standard mode of play.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It seems pretty dangerous for them to be taking paypal payments for it when they aren't even sure it's going to be made. Doesn't that seem sketchy? Do they plan on refunding everyone who uses paypal if the kickstarter doesn't make its goal? Usually people don't give paypal alternatives before a kickstarter is fully funded to avoid this issue. Also because they don't want to split the revenue source and end up having people use paypal instead of kickstarter and failing to succeed because of that. This doesn't seem very well thought out.

Chance
Apr 28, 2002

God I want this game to come out. I know my friends, and I know that 90% of our games will end with us bumping planets and seeing who survives.

I agree though that the paypal thing is weird, I think it's safe to say that the game is being made regardless. I hope the mod support is robust and well documented. Also the idea of a literal 24 hour game sounds insane, but at the same time kind of neat if it's like a one day tourney sort of thing with some kind of leaderboard or "king of the universe" thing.

sgnl05
Jan 16, 2007
Lurker

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

This thread title seems really wrong. This game seems like it may be inspired by TA in a way but overall it seems so different that calling it a remake is selling it short by a lot.

I made the thread pretty quickly and I wanted a title that would grab the attention of the sort of gamer that would be into this sort of game. You're right that "remake" is probably a pretty poor choice of wording, but the game is most definitely very heavily inspired by TA and it says as much on the website. I wasn't really sure how else to convey the relevant information succinctly. I'm open to new title suggestions though.

Revitalized posted:

They said in the PC Gamer interview that these sorts of things might be scheduled in advance, so presumably you wouldn't even join the game unless you were prepared to commit to an all-nighter. I'm assuming that most players would stick to slightly more sensible settings.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It seems pretty dangerous for them to be taking paypal payments for it when they aren't even sure it's going to be made. Doesn't that seem sketchy? Do they plan on refunding everyone who uses paypal if the kickstarter doesn't make its goal? Usually people don't give paypal alternatives before a kickstarter is fully funded to avoid this issue. Also because they don't want to split the revenue source and end up having people use paypal instead of kickstarter and failing to succeed because of that. This doesn't seem very well thought out.

They cover most of this in the FAQ at the bottom of the kickstarter page:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/659943965/planetary-annihilation-a-next-generation-rts

Doesn't mention anything about refunding paypal donations if the goal isn't met though. I could imagine that being difficult to do. Maybe they're confident they'll hit their goal? They got another 30k in the couple hours that I was at work.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
This looks fantastic. The art style really sells it too. Chaotic and awesome and yet totally readable. I will be backing this on pay day.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
They even got the same narrator :parrot:

This needs to happen.

sgnl05
Jan 16, 2007
Lurker

Monster w21 Faces posted:

This looks fantastic. The art style really sells it too. Chaotic and awesome and yet totally readable. I will be backing this on pay day.

I think the video is mostly just a proof of concept (though using the game's actual rendering engine) but I really hope they more or less keep the art style because it rules.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
Well they're 1/9th of their way to their goal within a few hours. Good on those guys n gals.

sgnl05
Jan 16, 2007
Lurker
I chipped in a hundred bux. I've never donated to kickstarter before but I'm going to be crushed if they don't meet their goal.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
This is what I was hoping the expansion to the original Empire Earth would be, instead of the shittiest thing possible it ended up being.

Sokoban
Feb 16, 2011

THUNDERDOME
LOSER
If they get Jeremy Soule to do some music for this... well, my bank will excommunicate me.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
This makes me want to get into TAspring again.

900k seems a bit low to run a studio on for a year or two. I'm guessing they either have a war chest from Monday Night Combat or that 900k is for the bare minimal game and they're really hoping for a gigantic stretch goal.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

Beef posted:

This makes me want to get into TAspring again.

900k seems a bit low to run a studio on for a year or two. I'm guessing they either have a war chest from Monday Night Combat or that 900k is for the bare minimal game and they're really hoping for a gigantic stretch goal.

They're a pretty small team and don't have the costs associated with a big publishing machine.

A Humble Emperor
Dec 30, 2007

With a big big crown!
Oh hell yes I'm definitely throwing money at this.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

About time that some sort of TA/SupCom game flavored got made. Definitely going to support this project.

sgnl05
Jan 16, 2007
Lurker

Monster w21 Faces posted:

They're a pretty small team and don't have the costs associated with a big publishing machine.

That's true, but this seems like an insanely ambitious project. Since it sounds like they've already done engine work I think they must have had some money lying around. I can't imagine the whole thing being done on just 900k

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

sgnl05 posted:

That's true, but this seems like an insanely ambitious project. Since it sounds like they've already done engine work I think they must have had some money lying around. I can't imagine the whole thing being done on just 900k

I believe MNC and SMNC were decently successful games so they probably have a sufficient budget to develop this game. But I doubt it's gonna stay at 900k, it's probably gonna reach more than a million bucks.

Battlegoat
Jul 24, 2003

Nap Ghost
TA and SupCom (moreso with Forged Alliance) are two of my all-time favorite games, but SupCom 2 was an enormous disappointment. Let's hope this is more like the former.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
SupCom Gold is on sale for 4 bucks at Gamersgate today (Steam Redeemable). Perfect chance to pregame for this kickstarter.

sgnl05
Jan 16, 2007
Lurker

Battlegoat posted:

TA and SupCom (moreso with Forged Alliance) are two of my all-time favorite games, but SupCom 2 was an enormous disappointment. Let's hope this is more like the former.

It's funny, I loved TA but neither of the Supcom games really grabbed me for some reason. They had all the right features, like strategic zoom, that coordinated attack thing and so on, but I just couldn't get into them. The first one felt slightly bland to me and I thought there was too much emphasis on teching and the economy side of things. The second one was watered down and didn't really feel much like TA at all to me.

And I noticed this on the PC gamer interview:

"Okay. With Supreme Commander, I felt like we really made a fantastic game. We pushed the genre. I think the strategic gameplay was really awesome. But it didn’t scratch my personal itch."

It's like the guy that was the lead coder for Supcom feels the same way about that game as I do!

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Tezzeract posted:

SupCom Gold is on sale for 4 bucks at Gamersgate today (Steam Redeemable). Perfect chance to pregame for this kickstarter.

Thanks for the heads up! Bought some copies to play with/against some friends.

Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

I am excited and worried about this. On one hand I loved Total Annihilation, on the other, I did not like Supreme Commander at all. How do I know that this game won't just hurt me like all the others?

Graphical style looks boss though, slightly vector-graphic looking.

Thread title needs some work, it is a bit

sgnl05
Jan 16, 2007
Lurker

Wingless posted:

Thread title needs some work, it is a bit

This thread title was brought to you by the guy behind "Wargame: European Escalation is a Cold War RTS" (at least until everyone complained about that title too and I had it changed). I'm really bad at thread titles.

But I'm open to suggestions for a better one. I just wanted something that briefly conveyed what the game was actually about, and referencing TA and Supcom seemed like the easiest way to do it.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

sgnl05 posted:

This thread title was brought to you by the guy behind "Wargame: European Escalation is a Cold War RTS" (at least until everyone complained about that title too and I had it changed). I'm really bad at thread titles.

But I'm open to suggestions for a better one. I just wanted something that briefly conveyed what the game was actually about, and referencing TA and Supcom seemed like the easiest way to do it.

Planetary Annihilation: Blowing up planets with moons?

Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

Planetary Annihilation: Strap Rockets to Planets to Use Them As Giant Missiles

Planetary Annihilation: TA Finally Gets Taken to the Prom

Planetary Annihilation: Because gently caress Supreme Commander

Planetary Annihilation: It Began As a Conflict Over the Transfer of Consciousness From Flesh to Machines

Planetary Annihilation: Exhaust the Resources of a Galaxy Again

EDIT:
I'll just leave this here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6mZZiI4ShQ

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed
Read the entire thing, am tickled absolutely loving pink at the prospect. If it delivers, I'll have found something to actually ENTERTAIN ME FOR A WHILE before my MASSIVE INTOLERANCE TO FUN KILLS ME.
On the whole, it looks to be a simply capital idea.

sgnl05
Jan 16, 2007
Lurker

Wingless posted:

Planetary Annihilation: Because gently caress Supreme Commander

If I don't get any better suggestions I'm gonna go with this.

w0o0o0o
Aug 26, 2007
bloop.
This looks like it's going to be pretty awesome and I really, really want to dig out my old TA disks now!

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

I hope they have new unit of the month.

p.s Core forever.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Threw in $15 for this project, it looks like what the RTS stage of spore should have been, but as an actual war game.

Lets hope the final game (if they get funded) turns out like the pre-rendered trailer, I wanna smash asteroids into planets and currently Kerbal Space Program isn't letting me.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Wow. That graphics style looks amazing. Consider me interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

drunkill posted:

Lets hope the final game (if they get funded) turns out like the pre-rendered trailer, I wanna smash asteroids into planets and currently Kerbal Space Program isn't letting me.

I'm 100% sure they'll reach their goal, and far beyond. It's been up for only a day and already on $146.000.

• Locked thread