Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sunber posted:

That would save me a lot of headaches for patrols and not having to go back and forth setting up new patrols for new groups so thanks! I found I kept getting unit cannoned on particularly large planets and setting up blobs patrolling left gaps enough on large planets for foothold teleporters to appear.

I'll probably be around 10-11 GMT, is there a TS or Mumble server?

That's why I patrol with air

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Well! that was one for the ages.

3v3v3

Yellow team had an Uber #15 player, so one of the top players in the world.

Ralith managed to hold his own on his planet, but we other two goons got pretty badly pushed off with pro micro and absurd build speeds. Managed to evac and grab the two tiny halleyable moons.

We thought we were completely hosed, not from ProYellow, but from BLUE. Blue had managed to put Jigs on the entire goddamn gas giant... and then Yellow comsniped him.

This was our chance.

Ralith took the Gas Giant as we all scrambled to get up Halleys and do some raiding. Other goon lost his com. I lost his com. Ralith endured a comsnipe... and then the tide turned.

I nuked a hole in his energy farm and started Unit Cannoning into it. Slowly we pulled his bomber cover apart, blowing up dozens of T2 energy, and then we spotted his com. I almost ended the game by accident when I nuked his SSX production area, and his com was right next to it on the ground.

Unit cannons landed right on top of him, and even though he had a Zeus running cover, it was too little, too late.

also I'd dropped a ton of orbital on top of him, as well. Really tense 50 minutes!

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
That was indeed a good game. Other highlights included:
- Milion and Sunber both evacing coms through teleporters ahead of large tank armies, at almost exactly the same time
- Me successfully baiting the majority of blue's railguns into a jig explosion. This would have been easier if I set up proper hold fire toggle hotkeys.
- Yellow entirely giving up on gas giant operations after I easily denied the first few raids
- The enemy simultaneously firing 9 nukes at my com. I noticed just in time to dump our then-ridiculous eco and buildpower directly into antinuke spam. When the nukes arrived I had exactly enough antinuke missiles ready--not a single extra.
- Milion(?) halleying his moon into the enemy's largest planet
- The enemy spending the entire game feeding orbital engineers to a squad of 5 avengers on the gas giant
- Me tanking like 30 SXX with battleships, avengers, advanced radar, and so forth mixed in. They got two shots on my com and took out some antinukes, but it just wasn't quite enough.
- Yellow getting salty after the game ended and insisting that they should have won because they sniped two out of three coms.
- A Helios T2 tank invasion on my planet, just barely repelled by massed catapults in my com fortress and some well timed orbital support from Milion. Lesson learned: A proper com fortress involves at least one holkins battery, and you mustn't put off building a handful of Zeus for too long.

Both Milion and Sunber lost coms to massed SXX. When you see the enemy stockpiling more than two or three of those things, it means it's time to build tens of umbrellas and park your commander under a railgun+battleship swarm, guys!

I completely forgot that I could be bouncing orbital assets off the gas giant for quicker response to enemy orbital raids. Oops!

Ralith fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 25, 2016

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

officially at gold, entirely off the backs of idiots who don't know how to expand and/or what landmines are

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
landmines are: glorious

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I recently got a new SSD and installed Windows 10 on it. Since then, PA Titans has been giving me all sorts of problems:

-Almost every game I'll get a bug where the UI disappears midway through (gameplay continues and I can mousewheel zoom, but I can't control anything)
-Windows gives me low memory errors (I've tested my memory and it's fine)
-Occasional crashes/freezes
-A hard lockup once

Does anyone know why this would happen or does this sound familiar to anyone? I have a fairly high-end gaming PC and everything runs fine otherwise. It doesn't always crash, it's mostly the UI bug, but it's game breaking for me. In a multiplayer game I can at least reconnect while others wait for me, but that's a pain too. Galactic War seems unaffected but AI Skirmish and multiplayer seems to give me issues every time.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Go to the SSD mega thread for better advice. It might be a bad SSD. Tell them make/model numbers and any other changes to your system like whether you have changed windows install ie from 7-10

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3658359&pagenumber=102#lastpost

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Ralith posted:

landmines are: glorious

i've killed armies 10x bigger than mine by having my repair bots rush up a minefield and bait the enemy army into it

in one recent match, i did this repeatedly!

new tactic i want to try: have raiding armies build landmines inside the enemy base before the raiding group dies

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

sticklefifer posted:

-Windows gives me low memory errors (I've tested my memory and it's fine)
Low memory doesn't mean your memory is broken, it means you need more of it. You should have at least 8GB.

ninjewtsu posted:

new tactic i want to try: have raiding armies build landmines inside the enemy base before the raiding group dies
This is difficult, because you need to lay mines somewhere that isn't getting shot at, i.e. not right around your raiding group.Still, repair bots have a good bit of range, so it should be possible.

I enjoy fighting on metal planets because they are rife with opportunities to thoroughly mine a narrow pass.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Ralith posted:

Low memory doesn't mean your memory is broken, it means you need more of it. You should have at least 8GB.

I do have 8GB, though I suppose I could stand to buy a bit more. It's just odd that it was running totally fine before, and everything else runs totally fine.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

sticklefifer posted:

I do have 8GB, though I suppose I could stand to buy a bit more. It's just odd that it was running totally fine before, and everything else runs totally fine.
Keep an eye on your memory usage. If you just reinstalled Windows 10 it might be doing the thing where the system process eats memory over time. PA is a memory hog so an unrelated process chewing up a bit more memory than before could be knocking your available memory just that bit below what it needs.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

sticklefifer posted:

8GB is going to be too low in MP Titans. The gaming standard is now 16GB.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

I had zero issues with Win10 and 8GB RAM while playing PA or any other game.

Out of memory errors means he has no pagefile or Windows is doing something dumb.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

~6-8 colonels were able to shred through one of my zeuses in a couple seconds, and that zeus had at least 2 repair platforms supporting it

this doesn't sound right to me but i am fairly certain that that is what i saw happen

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
As I specifically relied upon and called out in a match Saturday or Sunday, colonels murder zeuses like nobody's business. One of the things that makes repair platforms great is that they shoot down missiles, but afaik colonels shoot sky bullets.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

ninjewtsu posted:

~6-8 colonels were able to shred through one of my zeuses in a couple seconds, and that zeus had at least 2 repair platforms supporting it

this doesn't sound right to me but i am fairly certain that that is what i saw happen
Yeah, Splicer was doing this exact thing to a pubbie this weekend. It helped that the pubbie refused to actually target the colonels. Those things are incredibly combat-effective, but they're also vastly more expensive than forces adequate to kill them--if your enemy can afford 6-8 colonels, either you've lost the eco game already or you can easily afford a conventional army adequate to wipe them out. Air has a pretty bad price-to-damage/health ratio so probably not the best approach. Since they're a small number of high-health targets, I'd hit them from orbit or rush up a catapult base nearby. If tac bombers have enough range, they would work well too, but a com outranges a tac bomber so I wouldn't want to bet on it.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

we were having artillery wars :v:

both of us had like 8 holkins in our bases and neither of us wanted to be the one to lose their expensive army trying to cross the no man's land between us

i did eventually win through use of teleporters built by orbital engineers

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I lost my colonels and their ragnarok to a nuke :( While the zeuses failed to kill the colonels they did kill the anti nuke.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015
Gotta say I enjoyed the couple games we played even though I was, as promised, relatively terrible at the game :v:

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Had a couple fun pubbie FFAs.

Well, 'fun', but not super challenging. I started all alone on a planet so was more or less free to colonize it and then take over all the asteroids.

If there was any strategy, it was picking a planet that was good, but not TOO good, to ensure I started off alone.

Blew up one commander with an asteroid, blew up another with a Unit Cannon firebase+Ragnarok

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Really fun game with Milion just now. 2v2v2 in a many-planet map with a smallish annihilaser. Milion captures and holds the gas giant and I kick the enemy off my starting planet with standard naval tactics, and we're all set to begin the usual conventional-warefare roll over the other two teams when we get the "catalyst sighted" alert and realize we'd neglected to secure that planet. The enemy dumps an entire 3(?) planets worth of eco and what must have been a crapload of stored metal into the catalysts and rushes them up in record time, finishing the full set and firing it something like a minute after they started. Our eco was in excellent shape thanks to Milion's jigs so I'd managed to rush up a nuke, but the orbital transit time was just too long to get there before they fired. I was all prepared for the game to be over when, instead of targeting my planet, they hit the third team's single planet. Then, just as they started charging up for the next shot, my nuke arrived and knocked out a single catalyst.

Meanwhile, the third team evac'd their surviving com to the gas giant, where Milion effortlessly sniped it with railguns. For some reason this seemed to surprise them.

The remainder of the game consisted of me rushing up a single nuke over and over, knocking out pairs of catalysts with carefully-positioned missiles just outside of antinuke range (remember, you can't antinuke the pole of a metal planet) while Milion prepped and executed a nice clean com snipe. They pushed my planet pretty hard with dox spam after the first couple nukes, but as I was entirely in the water they weren't able to accomplish anything with it; I just let them have the land and be plinked away at by my previously-built Holkins batteries while I kept nuking them.

Lessons of the day:
- In late game, ensure you always have a massive surplus of engineers stockpiled for rushing projects/gas giant eco/assisting factories/whatever needs arise.
- Late-game healthy eco means it's time to have at least five different groups of engineers building jigs in different locations on the gas giant. Raids stop mattering so much if you're building jigs faster than they can blow them up, and there's no such thing as too much metal.
- Mix plenty of battleships (and even advanced radar?) into your snipe groups to tank ground fire while the SXXs do the heavy lifting.
- Nukes are great.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Ralith posted:

- Mix plenty of battleships (and even advanced radar?) into your snipe groups to tank ground fire while the SXXs do the heavy lifting.

Advanced Rader are absurdly tanky. 5000 HP. Omega Battleships have 4000. And Advanced Orbital Radar is 1/3 the cost.

Being able to actually shoot things is nice, tho.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i'm pretty sure enemy defenses will prioritize fire things that can attack (i.e. SXX) over things that can't (i.e. radar)

battlefhips can fire though, so i think they have equal "shoot this first" priority as SXXes do, making them better tanks.

still nice to be able to see what's around though, so nothing wrong with mixing a radar in. if the radar lands first, all their catapults will waste their first shot on it too.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Sunber posted:

Gotta say I enjoyed the couple games we played even though I was, as promised, relatively terrible at the game :v:
Sorry I couldn't stick around for more than one relatively boring game. The lobby was hilarious though.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

ninjewtsu posted:

i'm pretty sure enemy defenses will prioritize fire things that can attack (i.e. SXX) over things that can't (i.e. radar)

battlefhips can fire though, so i think they have equal "shoot this first" priority as SXXes do, making them better tanks.
Prretty sure the AI will prioritise things that could damage the defences themselves as well. Fly a gaggle of fighters and bombers over anti aircraft batteries and they'll blow up the bombers first.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Helicon One posted:

Prretty sure the AI will prioritise things that could damage the defences themselves as well. Fly a gaggle of fighters and bombers over anti aircraft batteries and they'll blow up the bombers first.

That's pretty smart programming that makes sense

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

one would think that the morons would be gone by the time you reach gold

and yet, half the games i play are suddenly people who do nothing but build air fabbers, then respond with this when i snipe every single one of them with a single fighter

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/541924293703404738/E324022E11F89E451B9DD67B863AE536BC7E9F1A/

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
But what is MMV?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

if someone could tell me i'd really love to know

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
That's even funnier ran through google translate: "built not learn to play like crazy like a bitch"

MMV is probably some weird Spanish acronym

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Today's games included a huge slog of a 3v3v3 in which we won because the other teams ignored the gas giant, and a huge slog of a 2v2v2v2 in which we lost because all but one of the other teams ignored the gas giant, and that team won the battle for the single moon thereof. Also because we were stupid and didn't spawn on any other planets, all but one of which, it turned out, were unclaimed.

Never, ever, ever, EVER spawn on less than the maximum number of planets. No matter how good an idea it seems at the time.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

except for the one time it didn't work because the only other planet had 6 metal total on it

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

ninjewtsu posted:

except for the one time it didn't work because the only other planet had 6 metal total on it
That game worked out great for us, your little base there kept them distracted while we captured more meaningful territory!

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

in MP games is everything shared (this might be a configurable option) i.e. are resources pooled and everyone can use everyone else's robutts?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Ralith posted:

That game worked out great for us, your little base there kept them distracted while we captured more meaningful territory!

didn't we lose that game really bad

i'm thinking of the one with the naval main planet where they doubled up on the main planet while we split up

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

MF_James posted:

in MP games is everything shared (this might be a configurable option) i.e. are resources pooled and everyone can use everyone else's robutts?

in the games we play, yes, though it's actually a toggleable option for each individual team (people who aren't us don't like it much because sharing your economy with some random rear end in a top hat who builds 50 t1 fabbers and no energy sucks balls)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

MF_James posted:

In a sharing game you also share coms, so no-one gets knocked out until a teams last com does. In a non-sharing game if your com dies you're out.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Shared eco is also a huge benefit, because we often find ourselves with some parts of the team controlling secure planets and ramping up huge amounts of eco in peace while others are just barely holding on to fragmentary footholds and urgently need to be able to rush up defenses. Plus being able to hand off control of areas/armies to people for maximally efficient allocation of attention.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Ralith posted:

Shared eco is also a huge benefit, because we often find ourselves with some parts of the team controlling secure planets and ramping up huge amounts of eco in peace while others are just barely holding on to fragmentary footholds and urgently need to be able to rush up defenses. Plus being able to hand off control of areas/armies to people for maximally efficient allocation of attention.

Yeah it sounds awesome, one person ends up ecoing hard because they don't have a lot of competition or osmething which helps out the guys that are fighting for control etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

conversely, one guy sets one of his factories to infinitely produce fabbers, and sets that to auto-assist it self (so each newly created fabber will help make more fabbers), then forgets about it and 5 minutes later everyone on the team has a totally collapsed economy

• Locked thread