Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azzip
Oct 22, 2006
Something really profound
So yeah, got redirected here from the supcom thread and I'm glad I was. This pushes so many of my buttons that I don't think there's any way I'm not going to end up chucking $50 at these guys.

Like someone else already mentioned, it's great to see the game space mapped as a whole planet - so no one has the "corner" or "edge" of the game area. It's great to have the thought that you need to be prepared to defend from all angles, and of course have the option to attack from so many other directions too. The planet in the intro video looks way too small for my taste, but as others have said that's just one possible size and much larger will be possible. I just wouldn't want for the core gameplay of terrain/land/air/naval(?) combat being marginalised in favour of the multi-planet elements. There's an awesome balance to be had here I reckon, and hopefully the kickstarter element will allow us to have some real input into how it pans out. It's easy to nit-pick afterwards, now we get to face the real challenge to making it work from a blank slate, I'm excited as to how this could work out.

Personally, I'm not so into the art direction demonstrated, I prefer the gritty style rather than the TF2/WoW style, but that's not enough to offset the potential awesome contained within this game. And indeed possibly could end up refined on that score anyway.

MaterialConceptual posted:

I'm inclined to shell out some money just because they've committed to a Linux release, but I really would like to see a single player campaign.

I get the impression that an SP campaign is one of the later stretch goals. It would need things like an AI and other stuff that needs more time investment, so I think they want to get the core experience as the first second and third priorities. Or maybe they will just leave enough support in the engine to allow the mod community to pick up and run with that bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006

Seditiar posted:

As you can see, there already is an AI.

So there is, missed that somehow.

Either way, its going to be focused around the core multiplayer experience, but if people are willing to fund a campaign then good for em. I'm happy for there to be one as long as it doesnt divert resources from MP. I won't play it, but understand there will be people who do want to. I think they'd do it like a proper campaign though, as in a structured set of story based objectives, rather than random stuff around the maps (which could stand alone as some part of skirmish or horde mode).

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006

WreckSov posted:

What does all this high-fallutin' fancy-pants server talk mean for us players not in the US? Are we going to get stuck with lovely connections and inherent delay?

e: :australia:

It sounds like it will be more like the good old days, anyone can download the server software and set one up.

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006
No, but I'm still probably going to donate at that level anyway. Maybe it'll be a my little pony with rainbow lasers. That would be AWESOME.

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006
I never liked metal maps on TA, it pretty much just removed the whole economy management and fighting for specific hotspot elements. Then again, that's probably why some people did like them. Each to their own and all that.

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006
Yeah I'm good with both sides being identical. Chess seems to cope ok with it.

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006
Yeah, don't think they have budgeted for getting someone external in, and it could be argued that the stretch goal was for the orchestra so changing around now wouldn't be right.

I haven't played any of the MNC games so not sure what his musical style is, but I don't think they'd have him do it if they didn't think he could handle it.

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006
Of course this is the downside of kickstarter... now we have to wait an entire development cycle for this awesome game we're already playing in our heads.

Though I'm really playing xcom, which is actually a huge consolation.

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006
Didn't he go on to do that sweet pathfinding stuff in Supcom 2 as well, or was that someone else in GPG?

(Which I bought in a steam sale but haven't actually bothered playing yet)

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006

Thoom posted:

That was Elijah Emerson, who they also hired.

Heh yeah am watching that stream from a couple of posts ago right now, came to edit my post but no need now!

This is definitely a Good Thing, means we get that sweet flow field tech as well as decent AI. :hellyeah:

Edit: And Elijah needs to get his own episode, he is obviously loves what he does and I would love to hear him go through that stuff more in depth.

Azzip fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Dec 8, 2012

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006
Mmm those ships bring back fond memories of the millennium pounding a costal base with submarine support lurking in the depths and a wing of Phoenix bombers waiting for the AA to be softened up.

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006
Yeah still very much in the prototyping stage right now.

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006

Apathetic Medic posted:

Why can't we all just get along and play Supreme Commander while we wait for the alpha to start? Micro or macro, neither one really matters when you're having fun playing good games with chill people :)

There are definitely some non-chill people in this thread. I'm up for that though, we should form up in the supcomgoons steam group or something.

e: i'm pretty terrible

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006
They probably just threw it up there not expecting it to sell at that price, but just on the offchance that someone with enough money and fond memories will go for it.

Chris Taylor has the fond memories, but not so much of the other thing right now...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006

Tenasscity posted:

Maybe I missed it, but are you guys under any kind of NDA. A few videos showing off the Alpha might just entice me to not wait for the Beta

Yeah it's a bit like the old "If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it".

If you have to be persuaded to buy the alpha, then you should not consider buying the alpha. Seriously. There's only a very very very small subset of people for whom it's worth it, and they probably already have it. Everyone else, clear some of that bloody backlog of steam games you've been hoarding since the last summer sale.

• Locked thread