Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
sgnl05
Jan 16, 2007
Lurker

Ok, normally I wouldn't make a whole thread for random kickstarter project #1298423 but honestly this one is just too awesome not to. It's a spiritual successor to TA and Supcom being made by Uber Entertainment (the guys that did Monday Night Combat) and apparently they've got a bunch of the original TA and SC developers on the project, including the lead coder.

They've got a site that explains the whole project rather nicely (and includes a cool video that you should definitely watch) over here:

http://planetaryannihilation.com/

but if you want the lowdown the main points seem to be:

• TA/ Supcom style gameplay across an entire solar system
  • strap rockets to planets to use them as giant missiles
  • 40 player games that last 24 hours
  • client/ server multiplayer model
  • They've got the guy who did the narration for the original TA (this is the most important point)

Also here's an interview that I found:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/08/15/p...tion-interview/

I'll update this with some more info as it appears/ I find it. Looks like it's still early days yet and since it's kickstarter it could all come to nothing, but these kinds of RTS games are as rare as hen's teeth and this project looks amazing so I figured it deserved a little hype. Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go give them all of my money.

EDIT:

MrBims has set up an IRC channel here that you can use to organise games.

sgnl05 fucked around with this message at Jun 20, 2014 around 07:29

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sgnl05
Jan 16, 2007
Lurker

Is that the release date? I didn't know they had one yet.

sgnl05
Jan 16, 2007
Lurker

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

This thread title seems really wrong. This game seems like it may be inspired by TA in a way but overall it seems so different that calling it a remake is selling it short by a lot.

I made the thread pretty quickly and I wanted a title that would grab the attention of the sort of gamer that would be into this sort of game. You're right that "remake" is probably a pretty poor choice of wording, but the game is most definitely very heavily inspired by TA and it says as much on the website. I wasn't really sure how else to convey the relevant information succinctly. I'm open to new title suggestions though.

Revitalized posted:

Although how do you have 40 player games that last for 24 hours? As cool as the idea is, whose gonna stick around for the entire duration of 24? Unless it's like a shift thing or something.

They said in the PC Gamer interview that these sorts of things might be scheduled in advance, so presumably you wouldn't even join the game unless you were prepared to commit to an all-nighter. I'm assuming that most players would stick to slightly more sensible settings.

It seems pretty dangerous for them to be taking paypal payments for it when they aren't even sure it's going to be made. Doesn't that seem sketchy? Do they plan on refunding everyone who uses paypal if the kickstarter doesn't make its goal? Usually people don't give paypal alternatives before a kickstarter is fully funded to avoid this issue. Also because they don't want to split the revenue source and end up having people use paypal instead of kickstarter and failing to succeed because of that. This doesn't seem very well thought out.

They cover most of this in the FAQ at the bottom of the kickstarter page:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-generation-rts

Doesn't mention anything about refunding paypal donations if the goal isn't met though. I could imagine that being difficult to do. Maybe they're confident they'll hit their goal? They got another 30k in the couple hours that I was at work.

sgnl05
Jan 16, 2007
Lurker

Monster w21 Faces posted:

This looks fantastic. The art style really sells it too. Chaotic and awesome and yet totally readable. I will be backing this on pay day.

I think the video is mostly just a proof of concept (though using the game's actual rendering engine) but I really hope they more or less keep the art style because it rules.

sgnl05
Jan 16, 2007
Lurker

I chipped in a hundred bux. I've never donated to kickstarter before but I'm going to be crushed if they don't meet their goal.

sgnl05
Jan 16, 2007
Lurker

Monster w21 Faces posted:

They're a pretty small team and don't have the costs associated with a big publishing machine.

That's true, but this seems like an insanely ambitious project. Since it sounds like they've already done engine work I think they must have had some money lying around. I can't imagine the whole thing being done on just 900k

sgnl05
Jan 16, 2007
Lurker

Battlegoat posted:

TA and SupCom (moreso with Forged Alliance) are two of my all-time favorite games, but SupCom 2 was an enormous disappointment. Let's hope this is more like the former.

It's funny, I loved TA but neither of the Supcom games really grabbed me for some reason. They had all the right features, like strategic zoom, that coordinated attack thing and so on, but I just couldn't get into them. The first one felt slightly bland to me and I thought there was too much emphasis on teching and the economy side of things. The second one was watered down and didn't really feel much like TA at all to me.

And I noticed this on the PC gamer interview:

"Okay. With Supreme Commander, I felt like we really made a fantastic game. We pushed the genre. I think the strategic gameplay was really awesome. But it didnít scratch my personal itch."

It's like the guy that was the lead coder for Supcom feels the same way about that game as I do!

sgnl05
Jan 16, 2007
Lurker

Wingless posted:

Thread title needs some work, it is a bit

This thread title was brought to you by the guy behind "Wargame: European Escalation is a Cold War RTS" (at least until everyone complained about that title too and I had it changed). I'm really bad at thread titles.

But I'm open to suggestions for a better one. I just wanted something that briefly conveyed what the game was actually about, and referencing TA and Supcom seemed like the easiest way to do it.

sgnl05
Jan 16, 2007
Lurker

Wingless posted:

Planetary Annihilation: Because gently caress Supreme Commander

If I don't get any better suggestions I'm gonna go with this.

sgnl05
Jan 16, 2007
Lurker

It's pretty crazy how fast the money's pouring in. When I made the thread around mid afternoon local time it was sitting at around 70K. It's just past 11 PM now and they're about to hit 150k. I really hope it goes over and they get a few million.

EDIT:

Here's a reddit thread where one of the developers answers a ton of questions about the game:

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comm...ents_planetary/

Oh look they just broke 150k.

sgnl05 fucked around with this message at Aug 16, 2012 around 13:29

sgnl05
Jan 16, 2007
Lurker

I really don't get the grumbling about the art style. They've said that the whole point was to help convey information easily and in any case, something silly and cartoony seems incredibly appropriate for something so ludicrously over the top. It's like people are totally ok with strapping rocket boosters to asteroids to turn them into huge missiles but then they look at the art style and go "gee... those robots don't look very realistic!"

sgnl05
Jan 16, 2007
Lurker

When I showed the kickstarter vid to a friend, pretty much his first reaction was "I hope you can build rocket boosters on other people's poo poo."

It's a pretty funny idea actually. Imagine sneaking a constructor onto another guy's planet and building a ton of boosters on an unoccupied part, along with some fixed defences. And then firing the boosters and launching the whole planet towards the sun as he frantically tries to wipe out your little base before his entire planet is incinerated.

EDIT: One of the developers has been posting comments on the kickstarter page and I noticed this which is nice:

quote:

Hey everyone,

We just wanted to drop a quick note about planet size. The engine is being built to have no upper limit other than memory and CPU when it comes to planet size. The planet we chose to show in the video is only one size and larger ones will be possible.

Which is good to see, as the planets are a little small.

EDIT 2: Holy poo poo somebody just pledged 10k.

sgnl05 fucked around with this message at Aug 17, 2012 around 09:22

sgnl05
Jan 16, 2007
Lurker

w0o0o0o posted:

This needs to be the thread title.

Alright.

I don't get the reference

It's Starship Troopers. The bugs drop meteors on Earth and wipe out Buenos Aries, and the main character expresses his opinion on that. Don't worry, I've seen the movie like 3 times and I still had to google it to get it.

sgnl05
Jan 16, 2007
Lurker

Shalinor posted:

- Do not talk about stretch goals / pushing for that one last whatever. This needs to be a thread about the game only.

I'm totally cool with not encouraging donations or any of that in here, but can we talk about the stretch goals insofar as they're possible features and as such are related to the game itself? Not trying to be difficult or anything, but if one of the stretch goals was for say... naval combat or something it seems like it'd be a bit weird if we couldn't even mention that and discuss it here, just because it was a stretch goal.

I guess it's a slippery slope sort of thing, but honestly I'm not even interested in kickstarter so much as I'm interested in this one particular game, and I don't really want to split my posting on it between two threads. But if them's the breaks, sure.

Pochoclo posted:

The name of my city is Buenos Aires, man. Aries is a zodiac sign.

Whoops. I live on the other side of the world and don't know about these things. I just copied and pasted the title into the PM.

Drone_Fragger posted:

For fucks sake I hope it's not notch because he will demand something stupid like they add in a computer simulation and voxel physics to it with his 10k "help us design the game" privilege.

I'm pretty sure it's Notch, and if it is then I'm glad because as an actual real life game developer he probably has a bit of perspective and won't ask for ridiculous features like that. If it was just some random with too much money, then I would be worried.

sgnl05
Jan 16, 2007
Lurker

To be honest I haven't actually played minecraft so I'll have to take your word for it. He must have done something right though, given minecraft's success.

sgnl05
Jan 16, 2007
Lurker

Hihohe posted:

Since they are gonna put space travel in there, why can't they put space battles.

This was covered a bit in the PC Gamer interview:

quote:

Mavor: The short answer is, I want to not have too much in the way of that space battle stuff. I want it to beÖ Iím launching a rocket from this planet to that planet, and when that rocket is in flight, youíre not doing a whole lot with it. Youíre not dealing with it. Itís more like a transport mechanism. And the reason for that is, I think space battles, space armadas and stuff like that, require a completely different kind of interface and a completely different way of handling it. I want the combat to be mostly ground-based. We will have satellites, a satellite layer around the worlds, where there can be some space stuff that happens.

sgnl05
Jan 16, 2007
Lurker

Eej posted:

Having to play Super Annihilation Galaxy and Homeworld at the same time would be such a clusterfuck so not having space combat is fine.

Yeah this. No matter how incredible their interface is fighting across multiple planets is still going to be like playing several games of TA at the same time. Throwing a serious space combat mechanic on top of that is a recipe for disaster.

In fact I hope there isn't too much emphasis on the space stuff. TA and supcom were all about terrestrial combat, and it'd be a shame if the game became too much about teching up to get into space as soon as possible in order to fling asteroids about and win games like that.

sgnl05
Jan 16, 2007
Lurker

Drone_Fragger posted:

gently caress balanced annihilation. They took AA and said "ah, well the problem here is that metal makers are too expensive so you can't just build millions of them" and promptly destroyed the careful expansion based balance that caydr had been working towards for years.

Yeah something about it felt really wrong to me. I think it was how powerful T2 units were compared to lower tier stuff. The first game I played I built a huge wall of heavy laser towers and it got absolutely run over by 3(!) goliaths. No way in hell that would happen in TA.

I like NOTA too. I'm not really sure it's any more similar to TA than BA is but it felt more reasonable to me. T1 stuff mostly stayed relevant throughout the course of the match, while T2 stuff was powerful but required some teching to get at.

Knowing the Spring community though 99% of them will still be playing BA on 24/7 deltasiegedry servers with 10 players a side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sgnl05
Jan 16, 2007
Lurker

Naval combat (and water planets) is a stretch goal which means I'm psychic.

The other stretch goal that's been announced so far is gas giants and more orbital units. I don't think any orbital units have been announced so far?

• Locked thread