Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I'm in for $50. A SupCom where you can actually see units instead of icons sounds like a good game to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Even more triangles and squares and diamonds!

Seriously the worst part of Supcom was you never actually got to see combat, at least, if you were trying to play it with any modicum of skill.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I'll only talk about naval combat if seaships are actually spaceships at the same time. :colbert:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
TA and SupCom had radar jammers that prevented you from seeing things on the minimap unless you had direct line of sight so you should have no problems as long as you have a jammer and a decent enough picket to prevent the stray scout from making visual contact with your nuclear asteroid base.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Having to play Super Annihilation Galaxy and Homeworld at the same time would be such a clusterfuck so not having space combat is fine.

As long as you can launch missiles through space anyhoo.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
There was unit differentiation. Brawlers were better than Rapiers.

Correction: Peewees, Flashes and Brawlers were better than their equivalents.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It means they can pay their staff for the extra time it takes to code in and test that feature and make sure it fits in properly with the rest of the game.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
My favourite part about this screenshot spergery is that if you actually want to win a game of SC you won't be that zoomed in anyway so who gives a poo poo?

When a game is designed completely around macro you literally don't have time to actually appreciate the visuals.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Alpha versions are almost guaranteed to make you not want to touch a game until release, FWIW.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
That's such bullshit. The main skill that separates a regular ladder player from a Masters player in SC2 is their ability to macro.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Double post

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The vast majority of high level SC2 players don't do individual unit micro of non-key units past a certain size of engagement anyway so this strawmanning is kind of dumb. You're still going to have to control your units in any TA like, whether it's to hold back your aircraft until the ground forces get there or to initiate flanking maneuvers or pull groups of units back from artillery range.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Xae posted:

Even "Macro" in Starcraft2 is micro.

Can you just right click Probe/SCV construction and have it auto build?

No, every 30 seconds you need to order another.

Zerg has to inject their hives every 15(?) seconds.

Give Supreme Commander 2 a try and you'll see what Macro can be.

In SC2 you need to "Micro" manage your "Macro" economics.

Yeah I dunno man let me just queue up my resource buildings and send waves of Tier 1 Squares and maybe Diamonds at the enemy while I make sure my economy doesn't crash so I can tech up to Tier 2 Squares. Sometimes I'll get crazy and do a sneaky tech to Tier 2 Triangles to snipe some valuable buildings!

But mostly just waves of squares.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I can't wait to Peewee rush all you nerds playing Simcity to make your uberweapons.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I'm suddenly reminded of Brawlers having their AI bug out and they would start doing strafing runs instead of hovering so they would do basically no damage. I'm pretty sure all RTS AI is brain dead and I am under no illusions that the SMNC guys are going to somehow start an RTS AI revolution.

I'm sure we all remember CoH infantry being told to take cover behind sandbags and the do so on the wrong side because it's still considered cover.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
StarCraft is literally the most relevant RTS ever and it's far more relevant to PA discussion than deriving the terms from economics.

Micro is sending the planet on its way and moving all your units off it and ships out of its path. Macro is your overall gameplan to get to the point where you can build planet propelling engines.

In layman's terms micro refers to tactics, macro is strategy and mechanics are how well you can click on things to make your plans come to fruition.

When people say they focus on micro so much they forget to macro it means they focus so much on controlling their units in combat that they forget to inject larvae or build units or expand. Using an attack as a way of forcing an enemy to move his army against yours so your expansion can start relatively risk free is a macro decision.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Ramadu posted:

This has to be the stupidest discussion I've ever read on these forums. Why on earth would you even have "mechanics" as a separate category when all it appears to mean to you guys is "pushing a button or clicking a mouse" which is needed for both macro (making poo poo) and micro (fighting poo poo). Especially when it's between two people who apparently have never even played the games they are arguing against. What the gently caress people. My mind is melting :psyduck:

Mechanics is used to describe how good someone is at pushing buttons on time, that's all. Being able to individually micro units to save them or seperate a blob into smaller groups to avoid AOE damage falls under mechanics as much as larva injection or remembering to build units. It's just a seperate word used to describe execution of micro or macro.

Eej fucked around with this message at 08:17 on May 7, 2013

• Locked thread