Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Ralith posted:

Sadly, the server crashed just as our first Holkins and orbital transport came online.

Eagerly awaiting Spring-style formations.
I built an orbital transport and it immediately shot into the sky. I couldn't figure out how to load units into it, so I thought that maybe I have to load units into it while it is being built. So I started another one, but that didn't work. So I clicked Stop on the factory and I immediately lost connection to the server. Don't click Stop while building things in the orbital factory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

So I started up my beta and it feels just like TA did. very fresh. Then, after playing for an hour I went to save and come back later, because I have a job and a wife and gently caress playing games for days on end against the AI anymore.

WHERE IS THE SAVE BUTTON OH GOD THERE ISN'T ONE.

Why.
No save feature right now, but, from interviews, they've said that the Chronocam will be the save feature. They envision that you would be able to pick up and play from any Chronocam recording you have. Download pre-built match templates, jump into a competitive game recording you downloaded, resume games with your friends, etc.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

El_Matarife posted:

A lot of metal spots can't be built on for some reason, I assumed it needed an air constructor so I built one. That didn't work either.

They need a lot more queuing features, from SupCom or Spring, and frankly I'd love a Spring style Lua widget option.

My team was overflowing in energy immediately.
Metal spots that can't be built on are bugs. They improve things every now and then, but you can still run into them.

I agree on the queuing stuff. Would be nice to have.

And the energy thing is really weird. You either have energy, or you don't. You gain a ton of energy from power plants, everything takes a bunch of energy, and you don't have much storage. There is no playing around with storage like with mass. It seems like you can accidentally instantly drain your energy budget, but then build a single power plant and watch your storage refill just as quick.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Volmarias posted:

I'm not sure what you mean, there are energy storage facilities. If you mean that the storage amount relative to its use seems out of whack, you're probably right, but metal is meant to be the limiting factor, and thus drain and fill slower.
Yeah, that is what I was trying to say. Metal drains and fills slowly. Energy seems to drain and fill almost instantly. I would probably prefer a slower energy drain/fill, as tons of things in the game seem to rely on if you have energy or not. You misjudge one thing and suddenly all your energy is gone and everything is taking a hit to performance.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

TenjouUtena posted:

If you don't want to play Total Annihilation with slightly lovely controls and only a hand full of units, then don't buy this game (yet). The AI is still mostly terrible except on the rare instances that it's not.
The AI has gotten a lot better. It will use bots, vehicles, and air now, and harass and raid you from many directions. I wasn't expecting it when I played again recently and got trounced on. Apparently it will even build nukes and whatnot. It has gotten so much better since the start of beta.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

It'll be $20 when released (or thereabouts if I remember correctly) and it'll also be functional, a thing you could barely call it right now.
I am pretty sure $40 was their planned retail price. It even has mentions to it on their FAQ page. $90 alpha, $60 beta, $40 retail.

Also, this is a great tutorial video that I found.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4AcqTNYIsQ

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Doomy posted:

One little thing that bugs me is they don't have the Hotkeys in the building descriptions, I would really like that instead of having to mouseclick it every time.
You can rebind your keys to do that. I've rebound my entire bottom row of my keyboard into build hotkeys. E.g., z = build metal extractor, shift+z = build advanced metal extractor, x = build power planet, etc.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I played a game today with my friend and an AI commander. I am very, very impressed on how well the game performs compared to the alpha and beta releases. I was effortlessly rotating the planet, zooming in and out, and switching between planets while playing. And the area build commands made it so, so easy to quickly build up metal extractors in an area, or upgrade stuff to T2. The game plays very well now.

It was also a pretty tense game. I was duking it out with the AI on a metal planet, blocking off access points and setting up a forward base with lots of artillery. I managed to finally push in and take the AI's base after tons of tank rushes and artillery barrages, only to find that he evacuated the planet. It was around this time that I had to take a work call, so I had to go AFK and came back to my friend throwing nukes everywhere, but it was really fun while it lasted.

As it is now, I think this game is very worth the $30 price currently on Steam.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Taffer posted:

I played again a couple days ago after not touching this for a while, seems like development is coming along pretty well. The controls and UI still seem super clunky to me though, coming from Spring, and I know this developers are encouraging simple mods like UI stuff etc - does anyone who plays this regularly have recommendations on something to look for to improve the overall handling? Hotkeys, UI, etc. Grabbing random mods off the forums probably wouldn't be super helpful considering I've barely played.

I haven't tried gamma yet though, I'll have to see what's changed.
They improved aspects of the UI as part of the "gamma" release. You should try it out. Also, if you want mods, get the PA Mod Manager. It contains a list of common mods that you can install to improve things.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

RPZip posted:

I've had the same problem, which is... disappointing. Except for the time when the AI colonized the moon I didn't realize was there, and had an impenetrable wall of aircraft and ground units that stopped me from building a teleporter there. Interplanetary assault functions are pretty lacking, with the options being to bring one (1) unit via transport or actually get the teleporter up and running.

I had orbital control but building killsats takes foreeeeeeever.
Taking planets mainly involves sending lots of Anchors. They are basically orbital defense turrets and destroy everything that comes near them in orbit.

Also, it seems like the suicidal AI is a thing. They are acting really aggressive for some reason and won't back down from a defensive wall. Hopefully it gets fixed in a patch soon.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Drone_Fragger posted:

Does PA have metal makers? I'm holding off playing it till launch (despite having beta access) because I don't want to burn out on it before it is even done.
No metal makers.

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Can anyone provide some sort of introductory guide? Things on the whole make sense, but it is still unclear as to what the optimal starting strategies are in terms of how many MEX to build and the like. Similarly, while the streaming economy is nice, it doesn't seem at all clear what the effective costs of anything are.
http://pamatches.com/
They collect YouTube videos of tutorials and have videos of gameplay commentary that you can browse.
And yeah, costs aren't shown very well. It is one of the bigger UI criticisms that I have at the moment.

redreader posted:

I just bought this. I hope I like it! I loved TA well after it was released, then got into ... uhhh... TA Spring. I wasn't gonna get this for 60bux but at the $29 special I am sure I'll find a decent amount of enjoyment from this. How similar is the playstyle to the old TA? Should I just start playing online immediately or should I AI a couple of games while I figure out what's up?
The AI is fairly decent right now (outside of a few flaws). If you can beat the AI, you will have no problems online as lots of people across many different skill levels are playing right now thanks to the sale.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

redreader posted:

played two games, lost both but didn't embarrass myself at all. tried for an hour to play a third game. Loads of crashes, out of memory errors (8gb ram here, I thought that was enough? have a fairly leet gaming pc) updated my graphics drivers, restarted my pc a lot, etc... yeah gently caress this. I have crashed on my teammates due to the UI crashing a few too many times. I just wanted to own some noobs, but I was the noob and I got owned :(
Do you have 32-bit Windows? You might be running out of virtual memory. You could also try lowering your texture quality in case your GPU is running out of RAM.

Taffer posted:

Yeah my two biggest things right now with the game are just unit variety and terrain. I know that the planets are their gimmick, but if they're going to make good gameplay with them they NEED to improve the terrain drastically, and they need maps that aren't procedural. Strategies cannot develop properly in procedural terrain for a lot of reasons, and to be honest I'm not confident they can make a procedural system that creates truly good planets in the first place.
"Mavor is not happy with the planets right now. Terrain and height levels will be improved. There’s going to be more variety to the height levels and terrain. It’s an “ongoing work in progress” – so expect improvements."

I have seen some planets with good terrain, but yeah, I agree that they are mainly too flat. But it looks like they want to improve that too.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Aren't the bots the only units that have the maneuverability to pull it off anyway? I've only seen a pro player do it once in a match and it was very situational.

Also, somebody made an "improved" version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2VV46BPZoI

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Ralith posted:

Awesome, this was my main standing complaint. Maps with lots of interesting height variation in Spring were my favorite.

From the same article, for you supcom fans: '“I'm pretty sure we’ll end up with some mega units.” Large units are time consuming and difficult.'
Even Total Annihilation had the Krogoth. I would be interesting to see a special T3 unit that could be built like the Krogoth.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Evernoob posted:

Well it's all ingame footage I believe, with maybe a few orchestrated assaults but it is pretty accurate.
Music is true to the original game.
The first video on Steam is all in-game. The 2nd video is actually from the kickstarter pitch video, which was a fake proof of concept video they used for the initial crowd funding push.

Nalin fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 11, 2014

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

Did they ever add saving?

Not quite. The chronocam feed will be the save game in the future, so the functionality to save does exist. However, I would bet they wouldn't add the save feature until they support offline games or until they implement their replay archive thing.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Some notes about the patch:
http://pamatches.com/news/planetary-annihilation-build-galactic-war-voice-notifications-updated-ui-and-more/

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I have a laptop with an i7-4700MQ, 8 GB RAM, and an NVIDIA GT 840M, and the game plays smooth on low/medium settings for me. The game performs much, much better than it did in the alpha/beta days.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Yeah, I noticed in my last game that path finding is still a little weird like that. Units will sometimes get knocked into areas they can't escape from and whole armies will just stop moving sometimes. It really happens later in the game.

I was playing Galactic War and the only tech I had was a T1 vehicle factory, basic defense turrets, and an Astreus. Every new piece of tech I would get would be an upgrade to naval units, ability to build advanced T2 structures, and cheaper radar. I couldn't use anything as I only had a basic T1 vehicle factory. So I jump to this planet and start combat and I find myself against 3 AI on 3 metal planets. Just great. It took me over an hour to win that game. I had two of the three planets, and the only time I would be able to kill any of the AI was when they decided to land on my planet for some stupid reason. Every attempt to take that third planet ended in failure as they covered the whole entire thing with bombers. I could build a teleportation gate almost instantly, but it would get destroyed before my land troops could actually enter the gate. So I put a top to all my factories and built a dozen orbital launchers. I then built spinners and astreuses. Lots of them. A whole bunch. The sim speed of the game was crawling, so it took forever. When I landed my spinners, the astreuses fanned out across the whole planet, then dropped them all at once. I finally had my beachhead.

Moral of the story: Don't fight a faction home planet in Galactic War before you have found some decent tech.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Smoremaster posted:

I've been on the fence about this game for a long time now, and it looks like it's finally shaping up to be pretty good. I'm really tempted to pick it up while it's on sale this weekend.

I read that travel between planets is done by teleporting, and it seems like there's not really much going on in space between the planets. Is this correct? Are there plans to add carriers and space battles, or is it always going to be strictly planetary?
I believe that they have no plans for any sort of space battles for the initial release of the game. You will always be fighting on planets or asteroids. Anyway, travel between planets is either done by teleport gates, or by using an Astraeus orbital transport (can only carry one unit to a new planet).

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Lorini posted:

Do Multiplayer/Create Game and just add an AI player for traditional skirmish. If you want sandbox mode, change the AI handicap to 0 and it won't build anything.

Took nearly an hour but finally have graphics settings that don't turn everything black. No HDR and no Occlusion and no Anti-Alias. I didn't think I'd need to do this for a graphics card I bought this year but guess I was wrong.
I didn't see sandbox mode in the latest patch when I wanted to try out the orbital fabs, so I think they removed it. It just has the normal, hard, and uber difficulties now.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I got to the end using nothing but T1 vehicles. I only got bots in one of my last battles. All you need to do is build 3 or so skitters right off the bat and find the enemy base. Send 5 vehicle engineers down to the enemy base and build 3 factories nearby. Queue up 5 engineers in two of them and have 5 assisting engineers per factory. Set each factory to continuous build and set them to build two tanks and one inferno (throw in AA as needed). You have now won the game. It works every time.

Just remember to keep your commander building energy and engineers building mexes.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
And don't forget the AI in PA is actually really good and is getting better. It isn't that uncommon to see the devs lose to the AI in their own streams. Also, Galactic War offers an interesting challenge that you won't get in online play. You aren't going to have to figure out how to invade a planet using nothing but Astraeuses in MP.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Tab8715 posted:

For those that are playing straight-up mulitplayer games - do you ever build bots? It seems that it's plain easier to just mass Bolo tanks if you're going to have any kind of land battle. Bots are just too week.
Build a bot factory to gain access to combat engineers. A single one can easily assist two factories by itself. Also, bots are cheap and can soak damage for your tanks. When you attack, make sure the bots are in front of the tanks so they take the brunt of the defense. It will maximize the number of tanks that make it through.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Trabisnikof posted:

What do you mean by that? Alternating it between 2 factories or can they actually assist two things at once?
They have a really powerful build gun so they can repair units on the battle quickly. Build two factories side by side, then set the combat engineer to patrol in the middle of them. Their assist will cause the factory to build the unit extremely quickly, so they will quickly alternate back and forth between the two factories.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

dis astranagant posted:

Umbrellas yes, but they require the ai to wander a satellite over the affected area. Orbital fighters no, because Galactic War seems to be all about fighting opponents with unlimited tech access with nothing but a basic vehicle factory and some random point defense.
I built a gigantic army of anti-air vehicles and pooled them into a blob. Then I built a gigantic army of astraeus orbital transports. I selected all of the transports, clicked load, then click+dragged the whole army. I waited until they all picked up a unit, hotkeyed them, and sent them to the planet. Then I told them to unload. Bomber problem solved. I then built a teleport gate on the planet and shoved more AA bots onto it. With the air force completely destroyed, I brought in my tanks and finished the job.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
You can also click the Replays section and view any of the replays on that list. It comes with full chronocam control so you can pause, rewind, view the game from the perspective of certain players, etc. You can also hold shift and watch as people queue up buildings.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

alyandon posted:

Last time I checked, you can buy a boxed copy of FA off Amazon for about $5 and enter the key into Steam and it'll unlock both games. At least it did as recently as last year.
If you just buy FA, you are stuck with the alien race only, and maybe even missing some stuff. Not quite sure. Make sure you get the Gold Edition package for both games.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

dis astranagant posted:

Nah, FA is standalone. You get all races regardless of your ownership of original unless they did something stupid with the Steam version. The only reason to get the first game is if you really feel like playing a game where map control doesn't matter and T4 units are too slow and clunky to do anything.

Yes, it is standalone, but when it first came out, if you didn't have the original Supreme Commander, you could only play as the Seraphim in multiplayer. Maybe FAF lets you play as all the races?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Planetary Annihilation launches on September 5th. Here is a cool launch trailer showing some of the new stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enzglv8sLn8

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Ralith posted:

You can launch nukes from moons (i.e. anything that orbits another planet) down to the planets they orbit.
Build 65588 (pre-Galactic War) made it so nukes can be fired at any planet in the system.

NeoSeeker posted:

Also someone mentioned that the reason why my game needs to stop and think, despite my powerful processor, is due to their servers and buffering stuff.. Did I mention this happens in my single player sessions? The UI and everything is just fine, It's the game world that needs to stop and buffer. Which points to me being connected to and playing single player on a server, which makes absolutely no sense at all.
That is correct. Single player games are actually online. This should change for release.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Ralith posted:

Do we actually know that they'll patch the singleplayer mode to run entirely on the local machine? I know they're releasing the server software, but that doesn't mean they're spending the extra effort to change how singleplayer works by default in the client.
I would hope so as it was part of their original kickstarter goals and release seems to be them making good on the kickstarter stuff. I probably shouldn't have jumped the gun, though, as I might have just misread something that led me to believe that (I haven't been able to find what I read).

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Baronjutter posted:

How is the single player in this shaping up? I was super into TA back in the day but the multi-player focus of PA and the spring-like improvements/clones never really interested me. Is this worth getting if you only want to play chill turtle matches against an AI?

I mostly just loved setting up elaborate static defenses as waves and waves of AI units attacked me. I also loved the energy/metal economy. Is that a thing I could do and have fun in PA or is the gameplay/focus/balance or what ever just not geared to that? From the videos I've watched of matches it looks a bit micro-heavy and no one ever built any static defenses or much base building.
If I'm remembering right, static defenses in TA are a lot more powerful than in PA, so it isn't as easy to turtle. Plus, the AI in PA is smart and aggressive, so turtling will only lead to you getting boxed in and assaulted from every direction possible. There is also no such thing as a metal maker, so you absolutely have to take and control territory to gain metal.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Ralith posted:

I really like this game, but it's disappointing that they still haven't gotten pathing for ground units to behave reliably in the presence of lots of terrain obstacles, or given the terrain any more depth than passable, impassible, or water. I miss building defensive emplacements atop cliffs, arranging chokepoints in valleys, fighting for control of hills...
They've been doing a lot of work in improving pathfinding lately, so that is sad to hear.

In other news:
http://pamatches.com/news/offline-mode-in-the-wild-well-get-it-soon/

Offline mode was spotted at PAX. Apparently it is mostly working and they are fixing bugs. It looks like it will either launch on the 5th, or come soon after.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I'd like to point out that today is the fabled "Release Date" for Planetary Annihilation, yet there is no news whatsoever about it. Looks like the media in general really doesn't care that much about the game (or else somebody is failing at their marketing job).

Also, if you haven't seen this 3v3 video from PAX, you really should watch it. It is a very, very good match:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6ACTIcWZyY

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Trabisnikof posted:

They patched in offline play?
Not yet. People have seen offline mode at PAX I believe, but last I heard they were working on fixing some bugs and adding UI stuff to it. It should hopefully be soon. I almost would have preferred them to delay the release a week to make sure it got in, but they were probably obligated to release today.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Hav posted:

Curiously my first skirmish got me flattened by a lot of air within minutes. Galactic battle mode was okay, up until the point I clicked a notification and my screen went flat blue. Hopefully teething issues.
Most often the blue screen issues are because of outdated drivers. Make sure your video drivers are up to date.

Also, for people with memory related issues, try the instructions in this thread:
https://forums.uberent.com/threads/how-to-decreasing-ui-memory-usage-on-windows-linux.63043/

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Death by Chickens posted:

Played some skirmish against the AI. I noticed a bit of lag, little hiccups as units moved around or did build orders, but otherwise the game was very smooth. 17 mins in I got an enemy contact alert, which of course I promptly clicked on. Screen went blue and stayed that way, putting an early end to the match. Couldn't figure out any way to fix it.

On the plus side, I started on my planet alone, which means the AI must have been doing something if it managed to travel over to visit me. Too bad I'll never know what that something was.
If updating your drivers doesn't work, pressing F5 should fix blue screen issues.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Yannos posted:

I forgot; are you supposed to get a steam key as well if you backed? I tried the alpha via the launcher from the Uber but I don't see a steam-key on my profile there.
Go here:
https://store.uberent.com/Account/MyKeys

Click on the "Planetary Annihilation" entry. There should be a button to convert to a Steam key. If there isn't, you can contact support and request one.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Baronjutter posted:

I'm starting to get better at this but find the whole multi-planet management and dealing with sphere-maps really cumbersome. I know it's the entire focus of the game but I think I would have liked good old flat square maps and a single planet at a time. I could barely manage an old TA map.

I guess actually knowing hot-keys and poo poo would help.
N = Align north pole to up. There is also an option to lock the poles so north is always up. It might help you.
comma (or period, I forget) = Switch to next planet. Easy toggle.

Also, you can click the PiP icon on the lower right corner to bring up a picture-in-picture window (or else press Q). It performs exactly like the bigger window. You can issue orders to units, zoom in, move it around, etc. Shift+Q swaps your main window and your PiP window, so you can keep two planets on screen at the same time and easily swap between.

Brackhar posted:

It's more that Arma3 to my knowledge isn't built on a particularly demanding engine, and I've seen a number of people on laptops be able to play DayZ without too much issue.
Arma3 is incredibly, immensely demanding on the CPU. It can also be demanding on the GPU depending on your draw distances.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

The AI doesn't seem to know how orbital factories work, as after 30 minutes it was still stuck on only one planet.
It's possible the AI decided to not go orbital in your game, or you were playing with an easier AI difficulty. I've seen AI colonize the gently caress out of systems before. It might be related to some of the AI/pathing issues the servers have been having recently. They did the dumbest move of re-writing the pathfinding engine and pushing it out days before release, and surprise! There have been issues with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
New PA patch hit. It looks like they focused on reducing memory issues with this new build. Plus they finally fixed the radar bug.

quote:

Release Build: 71937

AI: Fix for AIs that start on other planets by themselves not doing much. Improved how the AI determines it is alone on a planet. (should be much faster)
AI: AI neural net update.
AI: AI econ adjustment.

Client: Fix some texture size restrictions (e.g. the nuke scorch decal) to save approximately 300MB to 400MB of GPU memory (and a corresponding amount of CPU memory too).

Gameplay: Fix for start location generation getting into an infinite loop when there isn't enough pathable area on a planet.
Gameplay: Fix for radar structures never being active if they were built while the army's energy was stalled too far.
Gameplay: Fix for orbital units not being able to do certain area commands on gas giants.
Gameplay: Fix for trees and structures still visible after planet destroyed.

Localization: Lots of changes and additions to localization. If you want to help the community localization, please check out: http://www.getlocalization.com/PALocalization/

Memory: Limit CSG and planet textures to 1024x1024 maximum (saving up to 200MB of graphics memory and 200MB of system memory, or 400MB of memory on integrated graphics on a large game with multiple biomes).

UI: A number of fixes to startup flow; you shouldn't be able to skip past the Steam / PlayFab linking now, galactic war video will no long auto play, and a few others.

• Locked thread