Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

I am excited and worried about this. On one hand I loved Total Annihilation, on the other, I did not like Supreme Commander at all. How do I know that this game won't just hurt me like all the others?

Graphical style looks boss though, slightly vector-graphic looking.

Thread title needs some work, it is a bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

Planetary Annihilation: Strap Rockets to Planets to Use Them As Giant Missiles

Planetary Annihilation: TA Finally Gets Taken to the Prom

Planetary Annihilation: Because gently caress Supreme Commander

Planetary Annihilation: It Began As a Conflict Over the Transfer of Consciousness From Flesh to Machines

Planetary Annihilation: Exhaust the Resources of a Galaxy Again

EDIT:
I'll just leave this here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6mZZiI4ShQ

Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

It'd be nice if we could tag donations with GOONS to see how much we donated collectively.

Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

oogs posted:

This made me want to go play TA again. I wonder if I can do that on Win7...

Wait..wait hang on....

Is this a good idea? I think this might be a good idea. If there is this much love for TA, do we want to maybe get some goon-on-goon Total Annihilation nostalgia going? I would loving love to play a 2 v 2 game on a large map for a few hours over the weekend. With some booze and microphones. Should we make a new thread?

Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

Third World Reggin posted:

and are ok with supcom

I am not.

Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

Man, all this kickstarter stuff pisses me off. I get super excited about a game and then realise that it is in pre-development and we are likely a year from even a playable alpha. I'd much prefer if games ambushed me out of the blue and were 100% playable when I discover them.

Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

So...which Spring version is closest to just being TA except in 3D?

Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

Vertigus posted:

Hey guys just an FYI, there's a bunch of new modern day features, engine updates and added value updates for the original TA that people compiled into a mod-compatible patch: http://www.tauniverse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42656

TA runs like a dream on modern computers with Windows 7, and it had native support for widescreen resolutions back when it came out so that's not a problem either!

I tried this patch yesterday and it caused my game to crash three times in a row during a skirmish. I honestly don't remember TA ever crashing before. Dumped the patch and its running fine again. It's the GOG version that I have.

Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

MaliciousOnion posted:

Eh, the same thing could be said for the Total War series.

No, it couldn't really. In Total War it would often take several minutes for infantry lines to carve away at each other after all orders have been given/units committed, giving you plenty of time to watch the fighting. I have very fond memories of swooping the camera in behind my cavalry as they crash into the enemy, or watching a line of my war elephants fill the horizon from the enemy's perspective. Watching artillery land amongst the opposing army, ranks of archers letting lose as the lines closed...there are more visuals in that series than you can shake a stick at, and I spent plenty of time enjoying them without losing one iota of tactical awareness.

Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

Even as someone that works in film, I have to say it seems pretty stupid to spend a chunk of your budget making a documentary about your game. Surely a second faction, a single-player campaign, professional beta-testers, proprietary license fees (like for physics coding or netcode?)...or anything that would actually make the game better would be, uhm, better?

Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

oogs posted:

Also, the voice actor guy is apparently married to the GladOS voice actor.

I can't be sure why, but this makes me really happy.

Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

EDIT: Crap, wrong thread.

Wingless fucked around with this message at Sep 16, 2012 around 02:38

Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

Alehkhs posted:

For anyone who couldn't/didn't watch the full stream on the 1st, here's a snippet showing a tiny bit of insight into the audio process:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IUTkHeH1L4

How could he possibly need three machines for audio design?

Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

I just discovered that apparently I failed to back this on kickstarter. All this time I assumed I had, now I'm actually going to have to buy it when it comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

DatonKallandor posted:

I'd say they don't have enough power to reach escape velocity and have to rely on aerodynamics - but they made the aircraft a weird hybrid of supreme commander 2 and proper aircraft strafing runs so who knows how they're supposed to work. It's a real shame we don't have TA style fighters and bombers.

But the least they could do is make them able to use gates - the gates are easily big enough and the planes are easily maneuverable enough.

I haven't played yet. So all of the aircraft are sort of gunships rather than fighters/bombers?

• Locked thread