Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Sky Shadowing posted:

Everything he's ever done is fantastic, which is why he's (unfortunately) probably beyond their payroll.

He's an artist, not a banker. He's probably not above cutting somebody a break if he likes the project enough.

I mean, Total Annihilation was his first big break into video games.

Vertigus fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

InterFaced posted:

I think a large part of it is the way TA would switch from base building chill music to brassy battle themes based on what was happening. Not many games have done that since.

Well a lot of games these days do switch to different music tracks when you start fighting, but they never seem to pull off the transition very well. The way it was implemented in TA, it felt like the music was building to a crescendo rather than lurching and switching from atmospheric to heavy metal.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

sgnl05 posted:

I'm pretty sure it's Notch, and if it is then I'm glad because as an actual real life game developer he probably has a bit of perspective and won't ask for ridiculous features like that. If it was just some random with too much money, then I would be worried.

You're talking about the guy who saw Skyrim trailers and immediately switched gears to add a crappy dragon to his game.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Hey guys just an FYI, there's a bunch of new modern day features, engine updates and added value updates for the original TA that people compiled into a mod-compatible patch: http://www.tauniverse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42656

TA runs like a dream on modern computers with Windows 7, and it had native support for widescreen resolutions back when it came out so that's not a problem either!

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

No idea why people are excited about this, or how anyone is even considering discussing things like units, maps & balance when the only thing that's been released is a proof-of-concept video. I'm also confused at how $2,000,000 equals 'lava & metal planets'. I don't even know what means.

What a weird post. Did you think about what you were reading, and do a little research to figure out why people were excited? Like, it's bizarre that you don't understand how money goal = they add this to the game. Did you read what they said on the Kickstarter page and look up what Total Annihilation was about?

It's like a robot wrote this post.

Psycho Society posted:

It is a little strange that they're asking for $200,000 to code in one new planet type. Entire games are made for much less than that kind of money.

How on earth? They're not asking $200,000 so they can afford to add in a new planet type. They're offering a new planet type as an incentive for people to hit the goal. Good lord, do you think PBS is sending people $150 tote bags?

Vertigus fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Sep 4, 2012

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

I mean, AoE2 is pretty humble in comparison, but it's still one of my favourite RTS games for reasons a lot more subtle than 'lol metal planets'.

I think the problem is that you haven't played Total Annihilation, so you think "lol metal planets" is some sort of random aesthetic gimmick.

Then again you could just read some words and understand exactly how metal planets will play into Planetary Annihilation, but I guess that's asking a lot.

And you're asking why we should be excited about how they're calling maps "planets"? Are you serious?

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

TheLawinator posted:

I don't think he realized that the game scales from a regular sized map to multiple planets and poo poo in a single game.

All you have to do is watch the video, which at the very least shows you a planet, a moon, and an asteroid.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Irony.or.Death posted:

In fairness, Uber's track record is pretty bad at this point and it took me a lot longer than it should have to talk myself into chipping in on this. But it can't possibly be as disappointing as Supreme Commander, right? I will keep telling myself this thing.

They did kill off Monday Night Combat by being unwilling to do basic yet essential balance tweaks for months on end, so the only reason I'm hopeful for this project is that it's an RTS like TA by dudes who worked on TA. Minus Chris Taylor, which is a plus.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Panzeh posted:

Well to be fair metal maps are the Fastest Map evers(or big game hunters) of Total Annihilation.

I always thought they were dumb, too. They could definitely work better if they were small planets or whatever that acted as contested points. For this game, though, it seems like they're just going for "repair busted old machinery" rather than "this completely breaks our resource gathering system".

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

wjs5 posted:

The best part is that his ref pics look almost the same just with the release version of the game looking better I really dont get it.

I prefer the earlier pic of SC. The colors are less muted and everything is sharper.

It's really not hard to "get". Person prefers Style A over Style B. If he really doesn't like Style B, then chances are he'll think it's "bad".

Vertigus fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Sep 7, 2012

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

You're in the minority.

That's not really relevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Dawnfire posted:

As much as I want Galactic War, I imagine the only way we'll see it happen is if they do a big show of the final stretch goal.

I figure they'll add all this stuff in anyway if the game sells well at release.

• Locked thread