Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orv
May 4, 2011
If planetary body engines get cut? I sincerely doubt that, since it seems to be an enormous hook in their video. If you mean creating a rock supercarrier, oh god I hope so. And if not, they appear to be supporting modding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I don't get the reference :smith:

Paul Verhoven's biting satire of the book Starship Troopers, the movie Starship Troopers. You should really fix that. Bring lots of popcorn and an appreciation for cheesy sci-fi. The second and third movies, or as I like to call them, The Gratuity Wars, can be safely ignored.

Orv
May 4, 2011

sgnl05 posted:

...because as an actual real life game developer he probably has a bit of perspective and won't ask for ridiculous features like that.

I'll happily be the first guy to step up and yell at people when "Notch is the Antichrist of video game design promises" entitlement starts going around, but uh. No, he really doesn't. For all that he's done, he's a kid with the key to the candy shop counters.

Orv fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 18, 2012

Orv
May 4, 2011
I regret regretting for a moment buying into the almost-more-money-than-sense tier. Then death stars. Also adorable miniatures.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I don't know if it plays for the other races, but one of the songs that plays during the Sylvari personal story sounds so much like the Zanarkand theme from FFX I thought it was literally that for the first minute or so. Still, there are some pretty great songs in that game, some that really surprised me with how good they were. I'm with you, Soule is grossly overrated and really inconsistent overall.

Soule seems to deliver on the theme of whatever game he does, and then a couple songs within the soundtrack, and then everything else is just some kind of remix. TAs soundtrack was pretty decent though. Maybe he's just gotten complacent in his fame?

Orv
May 4, 2011

oogs posted:

That guy blowing bubbles got annoying, fast. Also, the voice actor guy is apparently married to the GladOS voice actor.

He does the Sniper, and I believe another Valve character.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah I wouldn't describe the PA videos as adorable. :v:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Tomorrow (10th) there's going to be the first update of the year on their Twitch stream before the SMNC stuff gets going. 1PM PST. Their channel is set to save broadcasts if you can't make the live one.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Planetary Annihilation: A video game in super-early development.

The SMNC Community: Should all be shot.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yep. Hence biomes, rather than planet types.

My X:Y comments were just over the fact that they don't have a ton to talk about yet because they don't, well, have anything yet. As for the SMNC bit, every time my eyes drifted over the stream chat I died a little inside.

Orv fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jan 11, 2013

Orv
May 4, 2011
As someone who enjoys a good timpani, the podcast today was quite promising.

Orv fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 2, 2013

Orv
May 4, 2011
Commander and engine chat and also the death of humor.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Their Friday livestream this week is going to be the first in-game engine thingy demonstration.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Combat Demo (Starts at 7:10)

Looks suitably TA-ish.

Orv
May 4, 2011
This argument is why RUSE is one my favorite RTS games ever. You could play RUSE like a craps table stickman, shoveling masses of units across the play field and making large sweeping tweaks to battle lines, drag selecting entire battalions and moving them around. It was a great feeling, and this is looking like maybe it'll support long fight tactics and strategy rather than intensive micro. Not that micro is a bad thing, mind, but I just want RUSE again.

Orv
May 4, 2011

JebanyPedal posted:

Also I never understood this "I just want to a-move and kill things." mentality, it's like the difference between an on-rails shooter and Quake III, part of the entire appeal of RTS games is micro based play, it's been around since the days of Warcraft I where kiting footmen with spearmen was a thing. Macro focused RTS games are incredibly boring, the only way they work is if you do something entirely different like Dungeon Keeper.

It's less that I want large a-move fights and more that I want large theatres with large scale micro, where rather than a few units at a time, your control groups are 50 guys a piece and kiting an enemy force means flanking them with a hundred other guys.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Shorter Than Some posted:

I'm kinda disappointed Planetary Annihilation isn't getting any experimentals, did they give a reason for this?

Megabots are still on the table but they've said don't get your hopes up.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Evilreaver posted:

Glancing over the emails, they never told us not to, and the EULA we 'agreed to' was basically "Ok seriously: This is super alpha. I mean it, this isn't finished. I swear to god if you act like it's finished we will tear your tongue out and paint our house with it"

So I think we're clear.

They've said you can stream the alpha/YouTube it so I imagine screenshots are cool.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Taffer posted:

The other big downside for developers is that they have to maintain some servers for people to play on.

Gotta do something with those SMNC servers they won't be using in a few months. :v:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Just played my first 2v2v2v2v2 game, which was actually my first game ever. Aside from falling into that horrible trap I get into of just not making a trillion rax and resourcers, it went pretty well and we ended up winning. Neat little game there at the moment, can't wait to see it fleshed out.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The SMNC community is full of lovely people and idiots, who cares.

Orv
May 4, 2011
No, but no-one with any sense is going to use it and it's voluntary, so what does it matter?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Someone else said it but keep in mind the high level minds behind PA are mostly new to Uber, so there is hope, and the alpha so far is decent.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mr. Wynand posted:

He did supcom2? Is this the same guy that basically single-handedly fixed the supcom1 AI as a mod?

Yes.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Just wait for the release, honestly. I mean, I'd also say yes it's worth $60 if you're stark raving mad for a new RTS/a new TA right the gently caress now (if you are that in need of one seek help), but just wait a few months and it'll go down another $20 and you won't have to put up with a beta.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Collateral Damage posted:

Didn't SupCom have this? I didn't have dual monitors at the time but I recall it being a neat feature when I read about the game pre-release.

SupCom 2 at least (Maybe 1 as well?) let you put the strategic view up on a second monitor as a full time thing.

Orv
May 4, 2011

MorsAnima posted:

New build is up, fps increases for just about everyone it seems.

The multi-planet spawns have just made 4+ player FFAs much better. Just watched a 9 man FFA, 2 planets 2 moons. They split 5/4 and the entire game was better for it. If anyone is interested -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJTWAIy0XF0

I want to punch that person right in whatever part of the throat he is using to make his 'announcer voice'. Otherwise a good watch.

Orv
May 4, 2011
You guys should record/stream further pub stomping adventures.

Orv
May 4, 2011

KlavoHunter posted:

The replays are automatically uploaded.

Oh yeah. I guess I should probably play this game I paid $90 for. :unsmith:

Orv
May 4, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

Yeah that's still something I'm getting used to.

It just makes sense to me! You're eliminating a massive amount of buildable land and potential metal generation, it better do some absolutely catastrophic damage! It's honestly pretty disappointing to me that it isn't a full planet wipe anymore, now it's just a big nuke that the enemy can't anti-nuke

And I believe the plan is to play again tomorrow! I'll certainly be in Mumble

EDIT: ^^^ I mean do you want our mumble commentary too or something? I suppose I could try my hand at streaming, though that might make it preferable for someone else to be host

I mean what I should really do is stop being a bitch and just play with you. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
So I backed the KS for $95, because it came in under my personal limit for $100 on KS and goddamnit if I didn't hope they wouldn't gently caress up TA 2. Which means my "collectors edition" arrived in the mail today.

The shirt is a different size than what I requested, the digital art book is a fifteen page minuscule thing that's basically a mid-2000s in box manual and the box for the game itself is made out of a material that is, to me, indistinguishable from manila folders. I also got a letter from Jon Mavor thanking me for backing the Kickstarter, and the little statuettes would actually be pretty cool... if they were painted. Not that I expected them to be, but as they stand they're just weird little grey blocks of plastic that, in the case of two of them, would be basically impossible to paint because of how they're put together.

Not that any of this surprises me at this point, given how this project has gone, but man, reasons I no-longer wish to purchase CEs, reason #6. I'll get some pictures of the statuettes at some point, though I imagine they're already on the internet by now.

E: Two of the minis, which have pretty cleverly just been full coated, might end up doing something like this to give them at least a bit of life.

The other one is the default commander.

Orv fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 22, 2015

• Locked thread