Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

About time that some sort of TA/SupCom game flavored got made. Definitely going to support this project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Tezzeract posted:

SupCom Gold is on sale for 4 bucks at Gamersgate today (Steam Redeemable). Perfect chance to pregame for this kickstarter.

Thanks for the heads up! Bought some copies to play with/against some friends.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

drunkill posted:

Lets hope the final game (if they get funded) turns out like the pre-rendered trailer, I wanna smash asteroids into planets and currently Kerbal Space Program isn't letting me.

I'm 100% sure they'll reach their goal, and far beyond. It's been up for only a day and already on $146.000.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

I wonder how far your Radars can "see". I assume the maps will be loving huge, if you can play a game with 39 other players, so hopefully even the best radar won't be able to see you build a planet full of Nuke silo's at the edge of the map.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Eej posted:

TA and SupCom had radar jammers that prevented you from seeing things on the minimap unless you had direct line of sight so you should have no problems as long as you have a jammer and a decent enough picket to prevent the stray scout from making visual contact with your nuclear asteroid base.

True, radar jammers might work most of the times. But if you're against a better than average person, he will see your commander (or engineer) fly to that planet, before you put a jammer on there. Unless you hop from planet to planet while building a jammer on each of them, but that'll take ages I suppose.

What was the range on radars in Supcom 1? About 20% of the map in 20x20km?

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Poil posted:

Jammers were mobile and functioned perfectly while being transported on an air transport. No one notices as long as they're not patrolling places like that with scout planes (which you should).

Ah, haven't played TA for a very long time now, didn't remember they were mobile. Then it should be okay, scout planes are pretty easy to get rid of if you're in a game with 40 people.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Beef posted:

Supreme commander and FA are currently on Steam's daily deals, 3.7 eur for both.

Going to give that one a try again with some friends. Can anyone who played it recently give some MP hints, any must-have mods or settings?

Haven't really played it recently, but a second monitor is loving awesome in Supcom. Also: you can make building-templates in skirmishes and use them in multiplayer as well. That saves a shitload of time.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Wingless posted:

Man, all this kickstarter stuff pisses me off. I get super excited about a game and then realise that it is in pre-development and we are likely a year from even a playable alpha. I'd much prefer if games ambushed me out of the blue and were 100% playable when I discover them.

Although I do agree with your last sentence, I do believe the alpha and beta will be a lot sooner. All the backer levels say "Est. delivery: Jul 2013", so I'm just going to assume it will be launched around that time.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

MaterialConceptual posted:

Can anyone explain why all their stretch goals are "locked?" Have they just not been announced yet? I'm inclined to shell out some money just because they've committed to a Linux release, but I really would like to see a single player campaign.

They're most likely locked until they reach the initial goal. Also, they hinted that a stretch goal might be a campaign. Source.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Azzip posted:

I get the impression that an SP campaign is one of the later stretch goals. It would need things like an AI and other stuff that needs more time investment, so I think they want to get the core experience as the first second and third priorities. Or maybe they will just leave enough support in the engine to allow the mod community to pick up and run with that bit.

Kickstarter Information page posted:

You can also hone your skills against Planetary Annihilation’s AI or team up with a friend against multiple AI’s.

As you can see, there already is an AI. They "just" need to make a shitload of maps and a good amount of random objectives in said maps. Of course that's still a lot of work, but they won't have to write a complete AI just for the campaign.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Azzip posted:

I think they'd do it like a proper campaign though, as in a structured set of story based objectives, rather than random stuff around the maps (which could stand alone as some part of skirmish or horde mode).

Yeah, I don't usually like campaigns in RTS games (Starcraft 2 being the exception), I do hope they can surprise me with an awesome campaign, though. I understand that they would need a lot more money (and thus the stretch goals) for that though, as creating a decent storyline can take up a shitload of hours.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

I think both stretch goals are disappointing. But that's because I don't care too much for audio/behind the scenes stuff.

Lucky for me, I'm already satisfied with the metal/lava planets (and hopefully) Galactic War.

E: Of course, naval units will be awesome as well. Loved those huge warships in TA.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Venturebeat released a pretty nice article about Planetary Annihilation. There's some stuff I haven't heard about the game before, that could just be me though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Is there any news regarding the Alpha yet?

• Locked thread