Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Revitalized posted:

Although how do you have 40 player games that last for 24 hours? As cool as the idea is, whose gonna stick around for the entire duration of 24? Unless it's like a shift thing or something.

The point is that the game (in theory) scales to whatever size you want it to be. You can play 20 minute matches on a single moon, or massive 24 hour affairs across an entire solar system.

They're also bringing back some of SupCom's coolest features like multi monitor support and advanced order queueing, and have promised mod support.

This basically looks like a love letter to fans of TA/SupCom. The more I hear about it, the more I like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

XboxPants posted:

Don't know where the 24 hour number came from, but the Kickstarter campaign page just says 12+ hours for that size game.

It's from the PC gamer interview. The developer is just hypothesizing about what the game could handle, not saying that would be the standard mode of play.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Jeremy Soule did the soundtrack for TA. You may have heard of him. He's probably WAY outside of their budget, unfortunately.

Maybe he could be a stretch goal. :ohdear:

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Allowing for that sort of ingenuity is classic TA/SupCom gameplay, so I'd be pretty surprised if it was cut. In SC you could load up a transport with basic shooty guys and make it a sort of ghetto gunship. This is just the next logical evolution of that idea.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
That sounds absolutely amazing, so hopefully it will lead to a bump in the rate of pledges.

I remember Soul Calibur II arcade machines having a sort of metagame type thing and it was a lot of fun.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

bradsh posted:

Soule is all tapped out :(

Counterpoint: some of the music he did for Guild Wars 2 is flat out amazing.

I do like the trailer music though, so as long as the music in game is similarly good, I'll be happy.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Azzip posted:

Didn't he go on to do that sweet pathfinding stuff in Supcom 2 as well, or was that someone else in GPG?

That was Elijah Emerson, who they also hired.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
It's really amazing how far they've come in the last couple months, from barely having a terrain system to something that could almost pass for a playable game if you don't look too hard. Looking forward to the beta this summer.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Even macroing in SC2 is pretty micro intensive. If you're Protoss, for example, you have to constantly remember to be spending your chrono boost energy and you have to keep your warpgates on cooldown, all while building and assigning a constant stream of probes.

That's a lot of mental bandwidth compared to a game like SupCom where you have your engineer swarm plunk down a grid of power plants and mass fabricators with one click and set all your factories to build a looped queue of your favorite unit composition.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
That sounds like the correct price. The alpha is supposed to be $90 to keep the riffraff out. The beta will be $60 and the final release will be $40.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I'm still waiting, too.

• Locked thread